Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BBW Forum

Old 02-05-2010, 07:43 AM   #26
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I own a scale and use it from time to time. It's that black talking digital scale that goes up to 500 or so pounds. I'm very comfortable with having and using it but wasn't always. Like the others here my history with scales was an exercise in constant trauma. Depending on what it said I was either an accomplished go-getter or a worthless slob with no self control. It was insane how this little instrument could determine so much about me, my life and how I feel about myself. I decided never to bother with one again except for medical purposes.

This worked well for me till there was an issue with my doctor's scale. It was broken and misreading my weight each time I visited. This set me up for a terrible health scare. My mother suggested buying my own scale so I finally got one just so I could know my weight for myself. It was very liberating being able to know and own my weight and not have anyone breathing down my neck and creating drama. There was seemingly no reason for me to tell anyone what the numbers were. I was very comfortable with this but then I had to have knee surgery last March. I happened to overhear my PCP and the surgeon discussing dosages and my weight as I was being prepped for surgery. I was nearly under medicated for it but because I bought that scale, I was able to tell my doctors my true weight and that the information in the chart was incorrect by about 55 pounds. Who knows what could have happend?

So yeah, I really like having a scale now. It was a bit easier for me to cut away the stigma surrounding the numbers. The numbers were always a source of shame and to some degree they still are. The world at large still tends to get worked up over it and attaches shame and horror so I prefer to still keep it to myself. Knowledge is power though, at least it is in my case.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:53 AM   #27
BigCutieAnya
Amazon Goddess

BigCutieAnya can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesBigCutieAnya can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesBigCutieAnya can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Definitely not a friend...Perhaps it could be categorized under 'acquaintance"
BigCutieAnya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #28
kayrae
doot doot doot

kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!

Are any of you familiar with Marilyn Wann's yay scales? What do you think of that?
kayrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:39 PM   #29
calauria
La Negra Hermosa

calauria makes people happy simply by logging incalauria makes people happy simply by logging incalauria makes people happy simply by logging incalauria makes people happy simply by logging incalauria makes people happy simply by logging incalauria makes people happy simply by logging incalauria makes people happy simply by logging incalauria makes people happy simply by logging in

I'm hate scales and not ready to have a relationship with one, since all my life my self worth was wrapped up in how much I weighed.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:20 PM   #30
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrae View Post
Are any of you familiar with Marilyn Wann's yay scales? What do you think of that?
Not familiar with them at all....please tell more?

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:39 AM   #31
tinkerbell

tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I have one, and use it almost daily. By using it almost daily, I see how my body fluctuates with weight, and I dont get super upset when I see a gain or anything. I can gain 10 lbs during my period because of water retention. And since I've gotten used to that, I dont freak out when I see numbers on the scale. Most of the time anyway

I can tell when I'm in an emotional over eating mode, because I wont step on the scale. And for me, thats not good. I dont like the way I feel when I'm doing that. It means I'm not dealing with something that is bothering me, and am eating to deal with it, rather than figuring it out.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:30 PM   #32
lovelocs
Nunc est Bibendum

lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Scale? Meh!

I grew up in a household that was very fatphobic. My mother has a literally religious aversion to fat. Doesn't help that she's certifiable. But we did not own a scale. I was never measured in this way except for very rare doctor's visits. Otherwise, my weight was measured by what clothing fit, and what didn't.
Historically, a scale is a rather unusual thing to have in a home, I think. For the majority of human existence we only weighed what we traded: from grain to gold. Livestock and their parts. When the scale was first introduced, it was a public novelty, and only later became an object of dread.

Here's a link:
http://www.articlealley.com/article_80489_27.html

I have a scale now. It came with the house I bought. It is chronically off by about 5 pounds, so I use it for a ballpark figure. When I use it. Which is once every few months. If I'm gaining weight, my jeans are a much better indicator of this than a scale. But that's just me.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #33
kayrae
doot doot doot

kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Marilyn Wann's yay scales

Read more about it on The East Bay Express

Old 02-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #34
lovelocs
Nunc est Bibendum

lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I like that. I mean, it tells you everything you need to know, right?
Also fantastic articles .

Last edited by lovelocs; 02-07-2010 at 06:28 PM.
lovelocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:34 AM   #35
StarWitness
part square, part drape

StarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions communityStarWitness is a pillar of the Dimensions community

The numbers have been a big source of anxiety for me in terms of recovering from an eating disorder, especially because a significant part of that was weighing myself daily. I cut the scale out of my life for a really long time; in fact, a few weeks ago, I weighed myself for the first time since high school. Silly as it may sound, that took all of my confidence and courage.

But when I saw what I weighed, you know what? I didn't give a fuck! I'm about 20 lbs heavier than I had estimated, and I don't give a fuck. Go me.

I've always been a guy with a sweet tooth, and that girl's just like a king-size candy bar...
--Sleater-Kinney
StarWitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:17 AM   #36
LovelyLiz

LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWitness View Post
But when I saw what I weighed, you know what? I didn't give a fuck! I'm about 20 lbs heavier than I had estimated, and I don't give a fuck. Go me.
Yes! Go you.
LovelyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #37
VelvetGirl

VelvetGirl has said some nice things

I do own a scale,although i dont really use it.Since weighting was always a hard process.I still havent made it so that the numbers there wont change my mood,in a good or in a bad way.I wish that sometime i ll find the way to really use it only as a tool.I have to admit that im trying to learn how to love myself no matter what
Old 02-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #38
steely

steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I got on the scale this morning and it was just a number, nothing more and nothing less. Just a number, I think this thread has really helped with seeing the scale in a totally different light.
steely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:11 AM   #39
Aust99

Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!Aust99 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I have a scale in my bathroom and I weigh myself once a week to keep track of what's happening with my body. When I first got the scales I went a bit crazy and hopped on them every time I walked past them. So I ended up putting them away and pulling them out once a week to weight myself. I can leave them out now and not be consumed with weighing myself. It's interesting how having them in the bathroom affected me initially.
Aust99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:25 AM   #40
Inhibited

Inhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging inInhibited makes people happy simply by logging in

I just bought scales recently, the only reason i never had any is coz they never went up high enough for my weight, i could only find scales that went as high as 120kgs / 264lbs, but the ones i recently bought go as high as 180kgs / 396lbs....
Inhibited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #41
Shala
Let Love Rule.

Shala is a member of the 500 clubShala is a member of the 500 clubShala is a member of the 500 clubShala is a member of the 500 clubShala is a member of the 500 clubShala is a member of the 500 club

I now weigh every morning on a scale. It keeps me in check. While I'm not trying to lose....I do not want to gain either. I am happy where I am physically.

A couple of years ago, I gave up the scale completely. I had benn the same weight(between 295 and 300) for over a decade.Then after a year or so of scale banishment, I noticed a change in me. I was gaining. My clothes were tighter, I was more tired. Then to my alarm, my feet and ankles were swelling daily.

I decided to weigh on a scale.....the number was 335! Those 35 extra pounds made a HUGE difference i n my daily life...and it scared me.

So I made some changes and lost 25 pounds. I am now 310 and my sweeling has stopped completely.

Now I weigh every day to keep myself in check.
Shala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:21 PM   #42
kayrae
doot doot doot

Hi Shala. I'm glad that the swelling on your feet and ankle are gone.

I admit that I don't really care about the scale until I see it, then I just have to hop right on and see. I'm glad that the numbers no longer make me want to modify my body in an unhealthy manner.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:48 PM   #43
steely

steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I got on the scale this morning myself and the progress I had made with the hateful thing, just went right down the drain. I had actually gained weight and I found myself wanting to throttle it. The weight gain was not the horrible part, when you are as big as I am, 5-10 pounds doesn't make that big of a difference. The worst thing is the automatic reaction, the horror, the horror. I then had to talk myself down from the ledge with cheese! Crisis avoided for this moment anyway. Still a work in progress, as it happens.
steely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #44
Seraphina
pudding

Seraphina can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSeraphina can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSeraphina can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

That is such a hard question.

My scale is more like an obsession and I can never leave the damn thing alone. I used to hide it under the bed but then I'd just have to furtively run with it to the bathroom floor (which is the only one without carpet) while my hubby was busy and weigh, then quickly run back, not because he has an issue with me weighing but because I am always secretive about it. Anyway now it lives by the sink and regularly calls to me to have a look at the numbers. I hover between sinking into the deepest darkest depression because I have put on and being so turned on the next step is *cough* going back to bed. Worst still losing is like a triumph and a personal disaster all in one go - me, weight conflicted? Never

The only time the scale is truly my friend is when the hubby is on it and I get to poke his belly and tell him he's getting fat
Seraphina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #45
kayrae
doot doot doot

would it be helpful if you get rid of the scale?
Old 02-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #46
rainyday
Departed

rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.

My beef with scales isn't the number, it's that they're narrow and needing to stand on the edges throws off the number a little. I have a look see every couple weeks. At this point in my life it's just a tool. Mobility is a more important measurement for me than weight.
rainyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:58 AM   #47
deeexit

deeexit can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesdeeexit can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

i have a scale, but never used it...i kindda go by my pants
deeexit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:23 AM   #48
Tau
IXAMXDECADENCE

Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeexit View Post
i have a scale, but never used it...i kindda go by my pants
Pants and bras are awesome indicators of weight gain. When my boobies balloon I know I've gained more than I should.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #49
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau View Post
Pants and bras are awesome indicators of weight gain. When my boobies balloon I know I've gained more than I should.
Wha? Who told you that?

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:55 AM   #50
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Elastic says otherwise.
mossystate is offline   Reply With Quote