Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board

Old 09-30-2005, 01:03 AM   #26
missaf

missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

AJ,

I encourage you to fiddle with your User CP, and find the settings that fit your style. You can change to the threaded view if you like! You can even click on the link up at the top of the page that says "New Posts" so you can see them all, on any forum at a quick glance.
missaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 01:19 AM   #27
Cheryl05

Cheryl05 has said some nice things
Default Thoughts for AJ

AJ, welcome back - this is going to be a learning session for all of us. Conrad has done us all a great service by iinstalling the new software. He is still tweaking it and I'm sure there will be more instructional material going forward.

There are obvious adjustmennts needed. I for one have tried to adjust my browser for a larger font size to no avail. Apparently others are having similar problems. But not all difficulties are so intractable. What you are trying to do I think can be accomplished by selecting the "hybrid" option under the "display mode" pull-down menu at the top of this screen. Another problem that I have noted is that the "archives" link to the prior boards is not yet active; there is no way to access the old boards if you don't have them bookmarked. But all such difficulties at this stage goes under the heading of "growing pains."

What we have here is a system with a great deal more flexibility (such as the ability to re-visit a message and edit it for clarity or to correct spelling errors) and hopefully less bandwidth demand than its predecessor (time will tell). Earlier tonight Conrad was playing with colored logos that have now been turned off. Its a "work in progress" and a month from now will likely be far different than now.

Last edited by Cheryl05; 09-30-2005 at 01:36 AM.
Cheryl05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:31 AM   #28
Cheryl05

Cheryl05 has said some nice things
Default Color need not be garish

Conrad was playing last night with some color that tied in thematically with the rest of the Dimensions site. It was brighter than the blue and white defauilt standard and had unique fonts. It wasn't garish but in my opinion looked better than what is here right now. Personally I would appreciate larger font size so that I don't have to focus so much to read (I wear thick glasses already). But we probably all have different preferences.
Cheryl05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:36 AM   #29
conradb212

conradb212 has said some nice things

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtchmel
Strangly enough, dimensions online in general has alwasy been a slow website for me. I have a cable modem so i'm not sure what's up with it, it's just always been the slowest place I frequent. So, no biggie, i'm used to it.
What's up is that we don't have enough bandwidth. The DImensions server has pretty powerful hardware that is plenty fast enough to handle the load. Inside the building where the server is, everything is very fast. From outside, all traffic has to go through that thin pipe (the quivalent of a T1) and that slows things down, often a lot. I've been trying to buy more bandwidth, but our (small) ISP, which is located in the same building, has long term contracts with SBC and they're paying a high price as well. I'll keep trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ!
For anybody who still remembers me, I'm sorry I've been away for so long. It's all been for a good cause (see profile) but I've been missing my fat girls something fierce! Anyway, since this would appear to be the unofficial "Help!" thread... etc
How could anyone forget you...? Anyway, I totally agree with your assessment. That is why I kept the old WebBBS for as long as I have. But overall it was such a resource hog and so limited in its capabilities that I simply had to put it out to pastures. There is one thing you can do, and that is subscribe to threads you're interested in. The system will then automatically email you each new post. You can then peruse it and ditch it, or save it if it's a keeper. Overall, the more you'll use this software, the more you'll like it. At least, that's what's happened to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliena
Mr. Webmaster, I really, really, love this format!! I do have one question though, is there a chance that you will be able to increase the size load for the avitars? I had to resize my pic several times to make it fit, but eventually gave up because it wouldn't or didn't look right. I did finally just link to a free webhost.
The problem here is that there are so many admin options that it sometimes takes me ten minutes just to find a setting.... And then I have to make decisions that I am unsure of. With avatars, for example, I have a choice of handling them from the database or moving them into the file system. Huh? As is, avatars have a max size of 80x80 pixels and 20k. That generally means a pic must be saved as a gif. Which often means a lovely pic ends up looking like crap (mine does). A few possible solutions are to a) increase file size, but that means slower loads, b) see if I can find some sort of automatic thumbnail/avatar creation program, or c) rely on helpful advice and assistance from nice people like Heather.
conradb212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:38 AM   #30
Boteroesque Babe
All cookies cleared!

Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default My Compliments to the Chef

Since this seems to be the whaddya-think thread, I'll use it to say it looks like a smooth move, Mr. B. And since you've asked for our impressions:

I'll second the suggestions that we individually control our titles, rather than everyone being a "junior member," etc. It's a concise yet uniform way to further personalize one's posts.

I also like the idea of allowing different settings for different boards, so the paysite ladies can put a URL in their signature without risk of accidentally forgetting to disable it when posting on other boards.

I think offering alternate skins as an option is brilliant, as color tastes are highly subjective. The current colors make the boards very easy to read, but I do miss the warm scheme of the old Weight Board. Options are good.

Except for the "edit" option on posts. I hate that idea. But I'm sure I'm in the minority on that one.

And I had a thought. Might it be possible to add an "also known as" line to the profile template? I've noticed a lot of folks saying the new board software is prompting them to change names, and many of us used to be someone else. An AKA line on the profile would be a helpful reference for those of us who can barely remember current names, much less who used to be whom.

It'll also encourage trolls to come clean about the many names under which they post.

Kidding!

Definitely gonna take some time to get used to the new look, but this morning I'm finding myself actually reading the board. That's unusual for me. I'm the sort that looks in regularly, but doesn't often open any posts. With the new format, it still kinda takes a lot to get me to open a thread (that roll-over feature for the opening post is great), but once I'm in, I'm more inclined than before to read all the posts.

Haven't yet tried to embed a photo, or play with hybrid and threaded modes. And I'm looking forward to finding out what that little reputation knob thingy means.

Nice job, Chief. Thanks.

PS: Hurray for italics!
"If you stand on a soapbox and trade rhetoric with a dictator you never win. That's what they do so well; they seduce people. But if you ridicule them, bring them down with laughter, they can't win." ~ Mel Brooks

"The country is run by extremists, 'cause moderates have shit to do." ~ Jon Stewart

"And she doesn't wear polyester except when she's kidding."~ Egbert Souse

Last edited by Boteroesque Babe; 09-30-2005 at 08:43 AM.
Boteroesque Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:56 AM   #31
conradb212

conradb212 has said some nice things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boteroesque Babe
I'll second the suggestions that we individually control our titles, rather than everyone being a "junior member," etc. It's a concise yet uniform way to further personalize one's posts.
I basically agree. My sole concern is the potential for abuse. On some other boards I've seen people pick highly inappropriate labels which provoke strive, arguments, complaints. I know that's looking at the negative side. Perhaps I'll give it a try or use a poll on that.

Quote:
I also like the idea of allowing different settings for different boards, so the paysite ladies can put a URL in their signature without risk of accidentally forgetting to disable it when posting on other boards.
I am not sure yet if that can be done. It may be buried in some of the thousands of settings. I'll keep looking!

Quote:
I think offering alternate skins as an option is brilliant, as color tastes are highly subjective. The current colors make the boards very easy to read, but I do miss the warm scheme of the old Weight Board. Options are good.
I actually searched far and wide for an appropriate skin/theme. The default look a bit too contrasty and cluttered, with graphics that were too large. There is a third party market for vBulletin skins, and they usually cost about $30. I bought two so far. This one because it's lean and quite clear, and a funky "gothic" one where all text is on a big parchment scroll and such. I played with them and fear that downloading different themes may slow things down. I can, however, make different themes user-selectable. If we're not hitting the bandwidth wall to hard, I may make some available. Ops, I think, have that option anyway.

Quote:
Except for the "edit" option on posts. I hate that idea. But I'm sure I'm in the minority on that one.
I actually like that, because I often bang out a post and then see embarrassing typos and inaccuracies. So I appreciate that I can fix them.

Quote:
And I had a thought. Might it be possible to add an "also known as" line to the profile template? I've noticed a lot of folks saying the new board software is prompting them to change names, and many of us used to be someone else. An AKA line on the profile would be a helpful reference for those of us who can barely remember current names, much less who used to be whom.
Not sure if that is possible. The new software shou;dn't ask anyone to change names as it is totally unrelated to the old software. So if someone was "enormous_cutie" on the old boards, she could pick the same moniker here.

Quote:
Definitely gonna take some time to get used to the new look, but this morning I'm finding myself actually reading the board. That's unusual for me. I'm the sort that looks in regularly, but doesn't often open any posts. With the new format, it still kinda takes a lot to get me to open a thread (that roll-over feature for the opening post is great), but once I'm in, I'm more inclined than before to read all the posts.
I find that reading and answering posts becomes less of a conforntational thing. The whole format is less in-your-face, which means people will probably be more likely to state their real feelings. There can be "local" discussions within threads that won't immediately attract the attention of everyone.

Conrad
conradb212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:06 AM   #32
Boteroesque Babe
All cookies cleared!

Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Boteroesque Babe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradb212
The new software shou;dn't ask anyone to change names as it is totally unrelated to the old software. So if someone was "enormous_cutie" on the old boards, she could pick the same moniker here.

Conrad
I didn't mean to suggest the software itself is prompting people to change their names (though that's exactly what I said). What I mean to say is that I've noticed people saying they're changing their names as they're setting up new profiles. Starting anew is noodging them into using that new moniker they'd had their eye on.

I guess if they want people to know who they used to be, they can put it in their biography.
"If you stand on a soapbox and trade rhetoric with a dictator you never win. That's what they do so well; they seduce people. But if you ridicule them, bring them down with laughter, they can't win." ~ Mel Brooks

"The country is run by extremists, 'cause moderates have shit to do." ~ Jon Stewart

"And she doesn't wear polyester except when she's kidding."~ Egbert Souse
Boteroesque Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:07 AM   #33
Cat
Gone baby gone

Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie
yay, Cat is here!

Thanks, AM. Always a pleasure see ya! You rock!
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:09 AM   #34
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

For the same reasons as you, Conrad, I love the option to edit. The bad thing about it is if someone decides to leave and wants to delete their posts, it can sometimes be a problem, but all in all, I think it's well worth it.

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:13 AM   #35
Cat
Gone baby gone

Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Ok, Conrad, how can I quote more than one person? You seem to be doing it with ease!
Thanks!

OH, and by the way, the board is loading a wee bit faster today.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:16 AM   #36
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Cat, I'd copy the text, do a :quote: and :/quote: front and back of each one -- replacing the :colons with [ brackets ].

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:23 PM   #37
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ!
... I really, really, really loved the aspect of the old boards that allowed you to see threaded listings of everything on the entire bulletin board all at once, with nice little notations as to which posts were new since your last visit....
Hey AJ!! You don't even have to enter the thread to know if something is new - the threads with new posts since your last visit will be bold, and you can click the little down arrow to the left of the thread subject to have it take you to the first new post in the thread since your last visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ!
... Also, I used to enjoy saving the occasional post as a web document but it doesn't seem as if this new board offers that option. With the threaded configuration, there is not a unique URL for each individual post, thereby making it unlikely that individual posts can be saved. With the linear configuration, it looks as though you may be able to save the entire page but not individual posts. Again... is there perhaps an option or setting that I'm missing?
Actually each post does have it's own URL. See the little number in the upper right corner of each post? If you right click you can get the URL of that post, or you can click on it, and it takes you to that post and you can snag the URL from your browser's address line.

Good to see ya AJ!!
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:29 PM   #38
Webmaster
Chief Emeritus

Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat
Ok, Conrad, how can I quote more than one person? You seem to be doing it with ease!
Manually. You just enclose whatever you want to quote in bracket-quote-bracket and bracket-slash-quote-bracket.

Quote:
OH, and by the way, the board is loading a wee bit faster today.
I am monitoring server load. The machine itself isn't even breathing hard, it's all bandwidth-related. In a few days I'll close the old boards entirely, so that load will be gone.
Webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:23 PM   #39
TallFatSue
On Timeout

TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster
Manually. You just enclose whatever you want to quote in bracket-quote-bracket and bracket-slash-quote-bracket.
Hey, it worked! The Preview Post button sure is handy too. Yep, I'm getting the hang of this new software. Like anything worthwhile in life, it sometimes takes patience and perseverence. I'm trying to take baby steps, which isn't easy with my big feet.

No need to change the font size or color scheme; I see that I can change the options to suit myself. I work on computers all day, so I like stuff that's easy on the eyes. One forum I briefly tried had a garish color scheme that almost made me crosseyed. Besides, the participants can liven up the board just fine with their friendly discussions. As my engineer husband says: keep it simple and reliable.
TallFatSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 02:06 AM   #40
blueeyedevie

blueeyedevie does more than just post hot picsblueeyedevie does more than just post hot picsblueeyedevie does more than just post hot picsblueeyedevie does more than just post hot pics
Default avatar help

speaking of nice people dose someone who is extremly nice think they could post , how exactly to do the avators.. Or rather how to make them / or where to get them from???

The problem here is that there are so many admin options that it sometimes takes me ten minutes just to find a setting.... And then I have to make decisions that I am unsure of. With avatars, for example, I have a choice of handling them from the database or moving them into the file system. Huh? As is, avatars have a max size of 80x80 pixels and 20k. That generally means a pic must be saved as a gif. Which often means a lovely pic ends up looking like crap (mine does). A few possible solutions are to a) increase file size, but that means slower loads, b) see if I can find some sort of automatic thumbnail/avatar creation program, or c) rely on helpful advice and assistance from nice people like Heather.[/QUOTE]
blueeyedevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 04:52 AM   #41
jonah-uk

jonah-uk can now change their title

basically you need to resize a picture so that the height and width are no greater than 80 pixels. if it's a photograph (or something you've scanned) save it as a JPEG (.jpg), adjusting the picture quality until the file is under 20K in size. if it's clipart or other computer graphics save it as a GIF (.gif). you might want to use the selection tool to select just a small area of a picture (e.g. just the face).

i hope that makes some sense - afraid i can't really recommend any software, but imagine someone else will have some good suggestions. i use this: http://www.gimp.org/ which is free, but probably only for geeks!

i've attached the photo from your profile, resized to fit the avatar requirements, if that helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg evie_avatar.jpg (3.4 KB, 138 views)
jonah-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 07:16 AM   #42
Cat
Gone baby gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina
Cat, I'd copy the text, do a :quote: and :/quote: front and back of each one -- replacing the :colons with [ brackets ].
Thanks Tina/Conrad. I was hoping for an easier way than messin' with codes. Dreamin'??
Old 10-01-2005, 07:53 AM   #43
jonah-uk

jonah-uk can now change their title

another forum i look at has a nice feature - you can select all the posts you want to quote in your reply before pressing the reply button. i guess it might be added to VBulletin at some point in the future...
jonah-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 08:10 AM   #44
ThatFatGirl
Why am I still here?

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default I can help with an avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissToodles
I thought my lj icons would be small enough. All I can attach is a profile picture. I want a neat avatar.

Miss T, If you want to email me a photo or two, I can adjust the size to fit 80 x 80 in Photoshop. that_fat_girl@yahoo.com.

ThatFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 08:23 AM   #45
eljay

eljay has said some nice things

Does Adobe's Imageready do this sort of thing -resize etc?
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote