Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 05-07-2006, 05:21 PM   #1
pendulous

pendulous can now change their title
Default Fat Quotes

I saw a quote on another site that inspired me. There must be some fantastic quotes concerning Fat, Fatness, Gluttony and Weight Gain. So I looked into it and found a few.

It would be great if anybody else knew of any and could add them too.

Here are the fruits of my labours:

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless
there are three other people." Orson Welles

"Outside of every fat man is an even fatter man trying to close in" Kingsley Amis in One Fat Englishman (1963)

"I don't mind that I'm fat. You still get the same money" Marlon Brando

"Fat is beautiful, sexy and strong. Politicians cultivate it, singers require it, gourmets appreciate it, and lovers play with it. Fat is a fabulous three letter word." Richard Klein in Eat Fat (1996)

"I was going to bite them young ladies, partner,
like a hot dog or a hamburger
and if you thin, don't be in a fright
is only big fat women I going to bite."
Derek Walcott in The Spoiler's Return (1981)

"I had a dozen eggs, a loaf of fried bread and syrup for breakfast - then I really started eating." Michael Hebranko (the quote that started me off)

I throw the gauntlet down. whaddya got?
pendulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:28 PM   #2
William
On Timeout

William makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging in

“I find no sweeter fat than sticks to my own bones.”

Walt Whitman quotes ( Poet, 1819-1892)
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:04 PM   #3
fatman

fatman has said some nice things

I prefer one of my own, although I'm sure other's have used it too.

"So I'm fat, deal with it." , said to people who constantly think it is their right to tell me its unhealthy to be fat
fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:06 PM   #4
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter....
Old 05-08-2006, 07:14 AM   #5
Buffetbelly
Nosh, destroyer of snacks

Buffetbelly is a member of the 500 clubBuffetbelly is a member of the 500 clubBuffetbelly is a member of the 500 clubBuffetbelly is a member of the 500 clubBuffetbelly is a member of the 500 clubBuffetbelly is a member of the 500 club
Post Official list from http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gluttonyunlimited/

AUTHOR: Mary Catherine Bateson
QUOTATION: Human beings do not eat nutrients, they eat food.
ATTRIBUTION: With a Daughter’s Eye Morrow 84

QUOTATION: He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise.
ATTRIBUTION: Henry David Thoreau (1817–1862), U.S. philosopher, author, naturalist. Walden (1854), in The Writings of Henry David Thoreau, vol. 2, p. 241, Houghton Mifflin (1906).

QUOTATION: I fancy it must be the quantity of animal food eaten by the English which renders their character insusceptible of civilisation. I suspect it is in their kitchens and not in their churches that their reformation must be worked, and that Missionaries of that description from [France] would avail more than those who should endeavor to tame them by precepts of religion or philosophy.
ATTRIBUTION: Thomas Jefferson (1743–1826), U.S. president. Letter, September 25, 1785, to Abigail Adams. The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, vol. 8, pp. 548-549, ed. Julian P. Boyd, et al. (1950).

QUOTATION: Roast Beef, Medium, is not only a food. It is a philosophy. Seated at Life’s Dining Table, with the menu of Morals before you, your eye wanders a bit over the entrées, the hors d’oeuvres, and the things à la though you know that Roast Beef, Medium, is safe and sane, and sure.
ATTRIBUTION: Edna Ferber (1887–1968), U.S. author. Roast Beef, Medium, foreword (1911).

QUOTATION: When you get to fifty-two food becomes more important than sex.
ATTRIBUTION: Prue Leith (b. 1940), British chef, caterer, writer on cookery. Quoted in Guardian (London, November 11, 1992).

AUTHOR: Calvin Trillin
QUOTATION: There is no question that Rumanian-Jewish food is heavy…. One meal is equal in heaviness, I would guess, to eight or nine years of steady mung-bean eating.
ATTRIBUTION: Interview 29 Dec 79

AUTHOR: Alan King
QUOTATION: As life’s pleasures go, food is second only to sex. Except for salami and eggs. Now that’s better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced.
ATTRIBUTION: Quoted by Mimi Sheraton NY Times 28 Oct 81

QUOTATION: In a strange city, I connect through food and fantasy.
ATTRIBUTION: Mason Cooley (b. 1927), U.S. aphorist. City Aphorisms, Third Selection, New York (1986).

QUOTATION: Feed him ye must, whose food fills you.
And that this pleasure is like raine,
Not sent ye for to drowne your paine,
But for to make it spring againe.
ATTRIBUTION: Robert Herrick (1591–1674), British poet. The Hock-Cart, or Harvest Home (l. 52–55). . .

AUTHOR: A J Liebling
QUOTATION: An Englishman teaching an American about food is like the blind leading the one-eyed.
ATTRIBUTION: Quoted by Alistair Cooke Masterpiece Theater PBS TV 20 Oct 74

AUTHOR: Bryan Miller
QUOTATION: Never eat Chinese food in Oklahoma.
ATTRIBUTION: “Never Eat at Mom’s” ib 16 Jul 83

QUOTATION: Hunger makes you restless. You dream about food—not just any food, but perfect food, the best food, magical meals, famous and awe-inspiring, the one piece of meat, the exact taste of buttery corn, tomatoes so ripe they split and sweeten the air, beans so crisp they snap between the teeth, gravy like mother’s milk singing to your bloodstream.
ATTRIBUTION: Dorothy Allison (b. 1953), U.S. novelist and poet. Bastard Out of Carolina, ch. 6 (1992).

From the autobiographical novel based on memories of her poverty-stricken youth in South Carolina.

QUOTATION: You are the food,
you are the tooth, you are the husband,
light, light, sieving through the screen
whereon I bounce my big body at you
like shoes after a wedding car.
ATTRIBUTION: Anne Sexton (1928–1974), U.S. poet. “June Bug.”

QUOTATION: For ordinary people, food is heaven.
ATTRIBUTION: Chinese proverb.

QUOTATION: Civilization means food and literature all round. Beefsteaks and fiction magazines for all. First-class proteins for the body, fourth-class love-stories for the spirit.
ATTRIBUTION: Aldous Huxley (1894–1963), British novelist. Anthony Beavis, in Eyeless in Gaza, ch. 20 (1936).

AUTHOR: PeterGeorge FarbArmelagos
QUOTATION: Food to a large extent is what holds a society together and eating is closely linked to deep spiritual experiences.
ATTRIBUTION: Consuming Passions: The Anthropology of Eating Washington Square 83

QUOTATION: Japanese food is very pretty and undoubtedly a suitable cuisine in Japan, which is largely populated by people of below average size. Hostesses hell-bent on serving such food to occidentals would be well advised to supplement it with something more substantial and to keep in mind that almost everybody likes french fries.
ATTRIBUTION: Fran Lebowitz (b. 1975), U.S. humorist. Metropolitan Life, part 2 (1978).

QUOTATION: Food has it over sex for variety. Hedonistically, gustatory possibilities are much broader than copulatory ones. Literarily, reading about food is more interesting than reading about sex. The authors of The Physiology of Taste and of Histoire d’O, for example, are writers equally obsessed, but how charming is Brillat-Savarin’s obsession, how sickening Reage’s! Similarly, how delightful it is to hear someone describe a magnificent meal, or comical to hear a botched one described, whereas listening to the same person describe a seduction is almost invariably boring, if not repulsive. Perhaps the reason for this is that eating is the more social function, sex the more personal, and as such eating shows people in a greater multiplicity of poses, moods, and characters than does sex. Modern psychologists to the contrary, there is more going on at the table than in bed.
ATTRIBUTION: Joseph Epstein (b. 1937), U.S. author, editor. “Foodstuff and Nonsense,” Familiar Territory: Observations on American Life, Oxford University Press (1979).

Gluttony is not a secret vice.
Orson Welles

FEAST, n. A festival. A religious celebration usually signalized by gluttony and drunkenness, frequently in honor of some holy person distinguished for abstemiousness. In the Roman Catholic Church feasts are "movable" and "immovable," but the celebrants are uniformly immovable until they are full. In their earliest development these entertainments took the form of feasts for the dead; such were held by the Greeks, under the name _Nemeseia_, by the Aztecs and Peruvians, as in modern times they are popular with the Chinese; though it is believed that the ancient dead, like the modern, were light eaters. Among the many feasts of the Romans was the _Novemdiale_, which was held, according to Livy, whenever stones fell from heaven.
Ambrose Bierce (1842 - 1914), The Devil's Dictionary

GLUTTON, n. A person who escapes the evils of moderation by committing dyspepsia.
Ambrose Bierce (1842 - 1914), The Devil's Dictionary

I have a great diet. You're allowed to eat anything you want, but you must eat it with naked fat people.
-- Ed Bluestone

C is for cookie, it's good enough for me; oh cookie cookie cookie starts with C.
-- Cookie Monster, character on "Sesame Street," U.S. children's television program

I'm at the age where food has taken the place of sex in my life. In fact, I've just had a mirror put over my kitchen table.
-- Rodney Dangerfield

The second day of a diet is always easier than the first. By the second day you're off it.
-- Jackie Gleason

He who does not mind his belly will hardly will hardly mind anything else.
-- Samuel Johnson

Researchers have discovered that chocolate produces some of the same reactions in the brain as marijuana...The researchers also discovered other similarities between the two, but can't remember what they are.
-- Matt Lauer, on NBC's "Today" show, August 22, 1996

Never eat more than you can lift.
-- Miss Piggy, character on "The Muppet Show," U.S. television show

The west wasn't won on salad.
-- ND Beef Council, billboard advertisement, 1990

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.
-- Elsa Schiapirelli

There is no sincerer love than the love of food.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Health food makes me sick.
-- Calvin Trillin

The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for 30 years she served nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been found.
-- Calvin Trillin

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
-- Virginia Woolf
Buffetbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:18 AM   #6
Buffetbelly
Nosh, destroyer of snacks

Buffetbelly is a member of the 500 clubBuffetbelly is a member of the 500 clubBuffetbelly is a member of the 500 clubBuffetbelly is a member of the 500 clubBuffetbelly is a member of the 500 clubBuffetbelly is a member of the 500 club
Default Continued!

"There is no sight on earth more appealing than the sight of a woman making dinner for someone she loves."
Thomas Wolfe (1900-1938)

"Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook"
cowboy saying

"How can one make friends without exquisite dishes! It is mainly through the table that one governs!"
Jean-Jacques Regis de Cambaceres, French politician (1713-1824)

"It is a true saying that a man must eat a peck of salt with his friend before he knows him."
Miguel de Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'

"The true essentials of a feast are only fun and feed."
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr. (1809-94) U.S. writer, physician

"The same intelligence is required to marshal an army in battle and to order a good dinner. The first must be as formidable as possible, the second as pleasant as possible, to the participants."
Aemilius Paulus, conqueror of Persia, quoted by Plutarch.

"A man hath no better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry."
Ecclesiastes 8:15

"Happy and successful cooking doesn't rely only on know-how; it comes from the heart, makes great demands on the palate and needs enthusiasm and a deep love of food to bring it to life."
Georges Blanc, Ma Cuisine des Saisons

"I like a cook who smiles out loud when he tastes his own work. Let God worry about your modesty; I want to see your enthusiasm."
Robert Farrar Capon

"The Creator, by making man eat to live, invites him to do so with appetite and rewards him with pleasure."
Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin (1755-1826), 'The Physiology of Taste'

"We should look for someone to eat and drink with before looking for something to eat and drink, for dining alone is leading the life of a lion or wolf."
Epicurus

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside."
Mark Twain (Samuel Langhorne Clemens) (1835-1910).

"Eating should be done in silence, lest the windpipe open before the gullet, and life be in danger."
The Talmud.

"It's a very odd thing
As odd as can be
That whatever Miss T. eats
Turns into Miss T."
Walter John de la Mare (1873-1956) English poet, Miss T.

"Don't eat until you're full, eat until you're tired!"
Hawaiian saying

"Eating is touch carried to the bitter end."
Samuel Butler (19th century British author)

"First we eat, then we do everything else."
M.F.K. Fisher

"Let the stoics say what they please, we do not eat for the good of living, but because the meat is savory and the appetite is keen."
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

"Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship. It is of great importance to the morale."
Elsa Schiaparelli, Italian designer (1890-1973)

"One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating."
Luciano Pavarotti, My Own Story

"To eat is human. To digest divine."
Mark Twain

"Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie."
Jim Davis, 'Garfield'

"I'll bet what motivated the British to colonize so much of the world is that they were just looking for a decent meal."

Martha Harrison

"After a good dinner, one can forgive anybody, even one's relatives."
Oscar Wilde

"Americans are just beginning to regard food the way the French always have. Dinner is not what you do in the evening before something else. Dinner is the evening."
Art Buchwald

"Sir, respect your dinner: idolize it, enjoy it properly. You will be many hours in teh week, many weeks in the year, and many years in your life happier if you do."
William Makepeace Thackeray (1811-1863)

"A man seldom thinks with more earnestness of anything than he does of his dinner."
Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

"All human history attests That happiness for man,--the hungry sinner!-- Since Eve ate apples, much depends on dinner."
Lord Byron (1788-1824) The Island, Canto xiii Stanza 99

"Digestion, of all the bodily functions, is the one which exercises the greatest influence on the mental state of an individual."
Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin (1755-1826)

"Digestion: The conversion of victuals into virtues."

Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914) The Devil's Dictionary, 1906

"Serenely full, the epicure would say, Fate cannot harm me, I have dined today."
Sydney Smith (1771-1845) English writer, quoted in "Lady Holland's Memoir"

"There is a difference between dining and eating. Dining is an art. When you eat to get the most out of your meal, to please the palate, just as well as to satiate the appetite, that, my friend, is dining."
Yuan Mei (1936)

"Dining is and always was a great artistic opportunity."
Frank Lloyd Wright

"A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart, who looks at her watch."
James Beard (1903-1985)

"I would stand transfixed before the windows of the confectioners' shops, fascinated by the luminous sparkle of candied fruits, the cloudy lustre of jellies, the kaleidoscope inflorescence of acidulated fruitdrops -- red, green, orange, violet: I coveted the colours themselves as much as the pleasure they promised me."
Simone de Beauvoir (1908-1986) French Existentialist, writer

Giovanni Giacomo, Casanova de Seingalt (1725-1798) was famous for his romantic adventures. However at age 73 the Prince of Ligne described him as:

"at 73, no longer a god in the garden or a satyr in the forest, he is a wolf at table."

"A man that lives on pork, fine-flour bread, rich pies and cakes, and condiments, drinks tea and coffee, and uses tobacco, might as well try to fly as to be chaste in thought."
Dr. John Harvey Kellogg, Plain Facts for Old and Young (1860-1951)

" . . . réveillon, this word says it all; it is just as well that it comes only once a year, on 25 December, between two and three o'clock in the morning. This meal. . . is designed to restore the faithful, who are exhausted after a session of four hours in church, and to refresh throats hoarse from singing praises to the Lord. . . . A poularde or a capon with rice is the obligatory dish for this nocturnal meal, taking the place of soup, which is never served. Four hors d'oeuvres, consisting of piping hot sausages, fat well-stuffed andouilles, boudins blancs au crème, and properly defatted black puddings, are its attendants. This is followed by ox (beef) tongue, either pickled or (more likely) dressed as it would be at this time of the year, accompanied by a symmetrical arrangement of a dozen pigs' trotters (feet) stuffed with truffles and pistachio nuts, and a dish of fresh pork cutlets. At each corner of the table are two plates of petits fours, including tarts or tartlets, and two sweet desserts, which may be a cream and an English apple pie. Nine more desserts round off the meal, and the faithful - thus fortified - retire to their devotions at the early morning Mass, preceded by Prime and followed by Tierce."
Grimod de La Reyniere, Almanach des gourmands (1758-1838)

CHRISTMAS IN ENGLAND

"For many of the islanders, this anniversary is memorable (apart from all religious significance) because it evokes a great slaughter of turkeys, geese and all kinds of game, a wholesale massacre of fat oxen, pigs and sheep; they envisage garlands of black puddings, sausages and saveloys . . . mountains of plum-puddings and oven-fulls of mince-pies.... On that day no one in England may go hungry .... This is a family gathering, and on every table the same menu is prepared. A joint of beef, a turkey or goose, which is usually the pièce de résistance, accompanied by a ham, sausages and game; then follow the inevitable plum-pudding and the famous mince pies."
Alfred Suzanne, La Cuisine anglaise et americaine (English and American Cookery)

"Progress in civilization has been accompanied by progress in cookery."
Fannie Farmer

"Kissing don't last: cookery do!"
George Meredith, British novelist (1828-1909)

"A cucumber should be well sliced, and dressed with pepper and vinegar, and then thrown out, as good for nothing."
Samuel Johnson (1709-1784) Quoted in James Boswell's "Tour to the Hebrides"

"If the melting pot exists, the cheeseburger may well be its most palpable product; to take a bite of it is to take a bite of history..."

Elizabeth Rozin, Primal Cheeseburger

"Dining is the privilege of civilization...The nation which knows how to dine has learnt the leading lesson of progress."
Isabella Beeton (1836-1865) Book of Household Management (1861)

"Food, like a loving touch or a glimpse of divine power, has that ability to comfort."

Norman Kolpas

Appetite comes with eating.
Rabelais, François (1483 - 1553)
French satirist. Gargantua, Bk. I, Ch. 5, 1534

If only it were as easy to banish hunger by rubbing the belly as it is to masturbate.
Diogenes (412 - 322 BC)
Greek philosopher. Lives and Opinions of Eminent Philosophers (Diogenes Laertius)

The war against hunger is truly mankind's war of liberation.
Kennedy, John Fitzgerald (1917 - 1963)
US statesman. Speech, World Food Congress, 4 June 1963, 1963
Buffetbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:18 AM   #7
pendulous

pendulous can now change their title
Default Fantastic

Thanks Buffetbelly, those are great.

Any more for any more?
pendulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:06 PM   #8
fat hiker

fat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions community

"Hmmm, I might have to throw down another one of these."
- Manny Yarbrough, once USA national sumo champion, speaking after eating a 20-ounce slab of sirloin at the Old Homestead in New York.
fat hiker is offline   Reply With Quote