Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BBW Forum

Old 06-13-2010, 05:10 PM   #51
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

My bf keeps making subtle comments about how he likes to grab handfuls of my hair.....as in he would like it longer.

He commented yesterday about how happy it made him when I told my hairdresser to leave the length because I am considering growing it out

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #52
Shosh
Susannah

Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Fairy View Post
My bf keeps making subtle comments about how he likes to grab handfuls of my hair.....as in he would like it longer.

He commented yesterday about how happy it made him when I told my hairdresser to leave the length because I am considering growing it out
Yes, guys love long hair. Like it or not, it is just that way.

You look pretty either way though C.
Shosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:27 AM   #53
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

The most attention getting hairstyle I ever had was when it was just above my waist in length, no layers, straight bangs, the natural straight texture, and dyed a dark burgundy auburn color. I think it was the combination of unusually long length and a color that was unusual but not blatantly unnatural that caught peoples' eyes. Not just men, but women too.

Funny, men would compliment my hair in general. They'd say I like your hair, or your hair is pretty. Women would always say they liked the *color* and ask if it was chemical or henna, and then whether it was drugstore or salon, and a few even wanted to know which salon and colorist.

I loved that color but it was really expensive to maintain and after my colorist retired I just decided to let it grow out so one day I can start over by dyeing it myself at home with semi permanent chemical color or a plant based color.

Tracy
Old 06-16-2010, 07:27 AM   #54
sarie

sarie has super-sized repsarie has super-sized repsarie has super-sized repsarie has super-sized repsarie has super-sized rep

i have had the same hair style for the majority of my life, long (around my elbows) and straight. i received literally no attention from men when i was rocking my natural colour - blonde. about five years ago i went from blonde to black and started to get noticed a bit more - probably just because there was so much of it, and it was black! to take it up a notch, i cut visor bangs about a year ago and i get a lot of comments about my hair, mostly asking if it's 'mine' or if it's a wig. ha. when i went from light to dark, i felt a bit more comfortable in my skin and felt slightly more confident in my physical appearance so this could absolutely have something to do with it.

im very interested in hair styles/colours and have quite a few stylist friends so i am around it quite a bit. i think that it is common for men to go through phases of being attracted to shorter styles and then longer styles. i suppose i just need to hang with the long hair appreciators as i have no plans of cutting my mane/security blanket! yay hair!
sarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:57 AM   #55
pinkylou
Freak on a Leash

pinkylou is a member of the 500 clubpinkylou is a member of the 500 clubpinkylou is a member of the 500 clubpinkylou is a member of the 500 clubpinkylou is a member of the 500 clubpinkylou is a member of the 500 club

Hmm, for me I prefer my hair at a mid to long length, and was told by an FA that theres nothing he likes better than seeing a lady with a plumpcious butt and long hair, so Im ever hopeful!
pinkylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #56
superodalisque

superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyface83 View Post
Another one is how women's magazines tell them to minimize or de-emphasize large breasts with certain clothing, but men believe otherwise, lol. I go with the men, large breasts should never be minimized
i agree. maximize the maximum!

hmm i like very short and mid length hair. when its very short i feel sassy. i was thinking seriously about having it hacked off again. when its a bit longer it gives me a softer more romantic look. i like both and its always hard to decide what to do when i get a haircut. i try not to pay too much attention to what guys like. i'm trying to concentrate on making myself happy for the most part. i don't really function well under prescriptions to look a certain way. its all about just expressing who i am at the moment. if i feel good about me i hope someone else will like that as well.

Last edited by superodalisque; 06-16-2010 at 10:03 AM.
superodalisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:50 PM   #57
KittyKitten
Nerdysillysweetspicysaucy

KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!

Amber Rose, this woman is bald but gorgeous. That is hard to pull off.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:19 AM   #58
CarlaSixx
Just Another Weirdo

CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!

I personally feel like I can pull off the bald look. And have been told to go pretty muc that short. The hard part about it is needing to put makeup on every time I go out. My brother is fat too and we look like twins. Though, since he's about 70 lbs or so lighter than me, we don't look alike in size now. We did before. I used to steal his clothes all the time.

Butback to topic... If I had the time to always do my makeup before going out, I probably would do Amber's cut... Which isn't exactly bald but damn near close to it. She dyes it platinum blonde.
CarlaSixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:26 AM   #59
indy500tchr
I am here!

indy500tchr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!indy500tchr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!indy500tchr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!indy500tchr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!indy500tchr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!indy500tchr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!indy500tchr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!indy500tchr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!indy500tchr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!indy500tchr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!indy500tchr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I loved it when I was bald but it seems like the guys didn't. That's why I am growing it back out so I have more "girlie" hair.

"Growing Old Is Mandatory. Growing Up Is Optional"

"BBWs aren't exactly built for speed. There's something luxurious about it." ~bdog
indy500tchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:46 AM   #60
Cors
Delurking

Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!

I have long, black fine Asian hair that can't hold a curl. I tried a bunch of different hairstyles, bangs, colours, shaved sides, almost bald, red mohawk, conventional boyish short hair and also used to dress more androgynously. I never had a shortage of male attention, but now I get a lot of comments from straight men about how I look so much more "feminine", "straight" and "typically Asian" with my current hairstyle - very annoying!
Cors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:08 AM   #61
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

This is just my own observation, and your mileage may vary, but I've noticed that my working-class friends are almost obsessed with long hair on women: they drool over it, are very vocal about their preferences, and go into a tailspin if their wives or girlfriends so much as trim their split ends. My middle-class friends, on the other hand, don't seem to care very much -- or maybe they just don't talk about it.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:29 AM   #62
KittyKitten
Nerdysillysweetspicysaucy

KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!KittyKitten keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
This is just my own observation, and your mileage may vary, but I've noticed that my working-class friends are almost obsessed with long hair on women: they drool over it, are very vocal about their preferences, and go into a tailspin if their wives or girlfriends so much as trim their split ends. My middle-class friends, on the other hand, don't seem to care very much -- or maybe they just don't talk about it.
That is interesting. I remember the preppy girls in my high school having shorter hair (less than shoulder length). I don't know what that is about.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:37 PM   #63
Weeze
Justin Bieber of Dims

Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

BUMP.

I'm looking to get my hair cut a lot shorter, but I'd be lying if I said the biggest thing holding me back wasn't the way it'd make other people react. IT IS SO FRUSTRATING. I hate that women with short hair have such a hard time being viewed as feminine.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #64
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeze View Post
BUMP.

I'm looking to get my hair cut a lot shorter, but I'd be lying if I said the biggest thing holding me back wasn't the way it'd make other people react. IT IS SO FRUSTRATING. I hate that women with short hair have such a hard time being viewed as feminine.
I've probably said most of this in this thread before, but I'm too lazy to go back and look I think short hair can look great on almost anyone, and is often much hotter than long hair.

I think maybe part of the appeal comes from mixing up your images? Really, most women are going to look like women unless they work hard at not looking that way. When you have some things that kind of break the usual mold I think it actually makes the viewer work a little harder and notice a little more, and so emphasizes their fundamental femininity. Kind of like Maralyn Monroe's beauty spot just emphasizing the symmetry and classic proportions of her face.

I guess some people want all the symbols of gender or class or social group or whatever to be congruous, but I think that gets visually boring.

And going from the general to the specific, Weeze, I think you'd totally rock short hair. I'm sure you'd get some slightly stunned reactions, but I bet that soon most people would have a hard time thinking of you in long hair.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #65
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I have always had long hair, even when I get 20 inches chopped off, give me a year and it's "long" again. I have uber thick curly/wavy hair, that is more dishwater blond than brown, and I dye it between 1-3 times a year, I can pull off super light blond dye because my roots don't really show, I do this with light red dye to, but red hair goes dull so fast I get annoyed and prefer to just put in a red semi-perma dye every few years to change things around.

I guess when my hair is down I get a lot more attention, but maybe it's cause I have this massive forehead

I get hands in my hair when it's down, and when this happens I get shivers and goose bumps so fast.... I don't know why, but when I wear my hair down men and sometimes women just wanna....touch it. I hate this, and think it's one of my main reasons I wear it up in a sloppy knot or side pony.

I cut my own hair or let anyone that's nearby cut it, 'cause I really could care less, but I don't like people touching my head/hair AT ALL! I've only had less around 10(or less) actual haircuts from salons in my life. The whole time I just sit there rigid and tense.

My Mama grew her hair passed her knees when I was little girl, my Daddy loved it, still does, he complains a lot about her cutting her hair so short now that shes older.
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:43 PM   #66
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeze View Post
BUMP.

I like short hair. It's comfortable, it's convenient, and you can just wash it and go! Long hair seems to require an awful lot of fussing, and I can't help wondering about someone who has nothing better to do than mess with his/her hair. Maybe I'm just not into high-maintenance women, but I wanted you to know you've got at least one vote on your side!
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:49 PM   #67
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

oy

dotdotdot

Last edited by mossystate; 09-27-2010 at 01:54 PM. Reason: oh, and, fashion board?
mossystate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #68
TraciJo67
On Timeout

TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
I like short hair. It's comfortable, it's convenient, and you can just wash it and go! Long hair seems to require an awful lot of fussing, and I can't help wondering about someone who has nothing better to do than mess with his/her hair. Maybe I'm just not into high-maintenance women, but I wanted you to know you've got at least one vote on your side!
I wish that were true for me. I do have short hair (slightly above shoulder length right now, which is actually long-ish for me) and it takes at least 40 minutes every day to blowdry, by section, with a round brush. Otherwise, it ends up looking limp and flat in some places, fly-away and curly in others. Definitely not something that I can just wash and let go.
TraciJo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:15 PM   #69
atf70

atf70 has said some nice things

Speaking as a male with a particular affinity for hair, I have to say that long, straight hair does nothing for me. And I like short straight hair okay, but I really love short CURLY or wavy hair, and I absolutely adore long, curly hair. Everytime a woman with natural curls straightens them out, I'm disappointed. Seems like everyone wants what they don't have...
atf70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #70
CarlaSixx
Just Another Weirdo

CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!

I've now got my hair in a pixie cut. Not intentional. The woman who did it was a bitch and cut it too much before I could even say anything. I've gotta wait a month for it to grow out (which will be 1 inch) before I can get it done the proper way I intended. If not more!

I don't get much a difference in reaction from the guys. It's the women who react the most. It's the women who seem to hold the most emotion to it. After all, for most of the women in the world, it's like a shield or a comfort blanket, and to see another woman have practically none makes them think the woman with short hair is vulnerable or some such.

Truthfully, I do feel unattractive right now, but only because I didn't set out to get this kind of cut at the moment. It's not that it looks bad, just that it's not how I wanted to look.

At least I've finally got wash and wear hair again. No blowdryer, no flat iron, nothing. Unless I want to spike up the middle, of course. So the good part is knowing that I won't have to battle in a never ending war against my hair for quite some time.

I am to go out this Friday with friends. I'll really get to see reactions at that point. I think, though, that the reactions will based more on my weight than my hair.
CarlaSixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #71
DeerVictory
Swamp monster

DeerVictory has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DeerVictory has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DeerVictory has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DeerVictory has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DeerVictory has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DeerVictory has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DeerVictory has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DeerVictory has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DeerVictory has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DeerVictory has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DeerVictory has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I cut my hair short recently (within the past month or so). I wasn't too thrilled about the results at first and came close to crying about it a few times. I generally don't get a lot of male attention. I just moved to Toronto, and I have had a few men approach me and compliment me which is more than when I lived in Saskatchewan, but some of that could be contributed to the larger population size than the change in hairstyle.

I went from:

(it didn't always look that pretty, i had just gotten it styled)
to:

(a side note, it's shaved shorter in the back than in the front)
and finally dyed it blue/purple:

I never get compliments from men on my hair, but since dyeing it blue, I've had tons of girls/women approach me to compliment me and ask me about it.

For girls that are looking to make short hair feel more feminine, I've found myself using hair clips and combs.

As for guys always liking long hair, my boyfriend prefers short hair on women.

In her hips, there's revolution.
DeerVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #72
thirtiesgirl
frumious bandersnatch

thirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging in
Default my hair story

My hair has pretty much been above shoulder length most of my life. For the past 20 years, it's usually been a chin-length or slightly longer bob, sometimes with bangs, sometimes without. I've occasionally cut it shorter, into a layered semi-bi-level cut, but always ended up growing it out into a bob.

When I was a little kid, I wanted nothing more than long hair. It was the mid-70s, so long straight hair, or "Farrah hair" was the norm. My mom, who is not a patient woman, didn't like spending time helping me comb through my tangles. So she took me to a hairdresser who, in an attempt to please my intimidating mom, cut my hair into a pixie and claimed it was the height of fashion. Never mind how I might have felt about it. My mom has untreated borderline personality disorder, though, so my feelings were naturally not taken into consideration.

From that point forward, my mom kept my hair in short cuts for most of my childhood. By the time I started doing my own hair in 5th and 6th grade, my mom allowed me to grow it a little longer, but always made me pin it off my face. She hated the Veronica Lake-inspired curtain of hair over my right eye that I'd sometimes try to flip into a Farrah wave, because she thought it looked "slutty." (If I did it while wearing lipgloss, that was even "sluttier.") So I spent most of my late elementary and junior high years with straight shoulder-length hair, always pinned off my face. Although it could have been worse. Some of the girls who went to my small private religious junior high had parents who would not allow them to cut their hair at all and dressed them like close cousins to the girls you see in Mormon or LDL communities who are forced to marry 50 year old men at age 14.

Attending public high school in the '80s, the asymmetrical bob was the trendiest thing going, so of course I went as asymmetrical as I could. By 10th grade, I was dyeing it black and teasing it up into a Siouxsie 'do. Which, of course, my mom hated, so I frequently left the house in the mornings with my hair under a hat or hood, a can of Aquanet and my teasing combs in my bag. I'd hide out in the bathroom before school, teasing and spraying my hair. I wasn't the only one, either.

By 11th grade, I'd kind of given up on trying to be noticed, so I grew my hair longer than it had ever been (which was almost to my shoulders), continued to dye it black, and dressed in baggy beige and black sweaters, voluminous, hanging broomstick skirts and oversized t-shirts. If I hadn't been so afraid of my mom smelling smoke on me and having a major freak out, I would have taken up smoking, too. This continued through senior year and into early college, although I started injecting a little more color into my wardrobe and stopped dyeing my hair black.

At some point in early college, I got deeply involved in the feminist movement, decided my hair was a superfluous flirting tool that I only kept around to attract men, and cut it all off, reverting back to the pixie cut I'd had at age 5. That lasted for the greater part of a year, when I finally realized that one could support feminism and still have long hair. So I began the arduous process of growing it out...which I never fully completed. By the time my hair grew past chin-length, I'd be sick of it and cut it again. ...After which I'd love my shorter hair for about two weeks and then want to grow it out again. So I went for a few years like that, cutting it short and growing it out, cutting it short and growing it out...until I finally reached a fragile detante with my hair and decided to generally leave it alone at bob length, sometimes cutting it an inch closer to my chin, sometimes letting it grow a little longer. Sometimes I get bored and have bangs cut...and then get sick of it and grow them out.

I don't think I'm going to grow my hair much longer than it is now, though. It will never get past my shoulders, or even past my collarbone at this point. I like my shorter hair. It suits me and I prefer having it shorter and closer to my face than long and all over the place. My hair is also a little bit fine and semi-wavy, so I find it's easier to manage when it's shorter and mostly all one length. I think I need to thank my mixed-up mom for my feelings about my hair, though, and all those years she kept it short. It's apparently become a part of me, no matter how much I hated it as a child.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #73
thirtiesgirl
frumious bandersnatch

thirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerVictory View Post
I cut my hair short recently (within the past month or so). I wasn't too thrilled about the results at first and came close to crying about it a few times. I generally don't get a lot of male attention. I just moved to Toronto, and I have had a few men approach me and compliment me which is more than when I lived in Saskatchewan, but some of that could be contributed to the larger population size than the change in hairstyle.
Deer, I love your hair, longer or shorter. Imho, you have some serious styling skills and know how to make either length work on you. I don't have the patience or skill to style mine (especially on early work days), so I've learned by experience that I can't get too layered or crazy with my cut or I'll never be able to reproduce what the stylist did. ...Yeah, I have hair envy.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:07 AM   #74
Tania
Disneyland Bobsled Team

Tania has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tania has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tania has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tania has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tania has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tania has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tania has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tania has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tania has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tania has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tania has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I love your new hair, Raegan!

I think that when it comes right down to it, there are no near-absolutes when it comes to hair taste - that's pretty much the case with everything. Several people have made excellent points about how certain styles and colors made them feel great/more like themselves, which in turn made others take positive notice of their resulting confidence. I think that's the bottom line.

I think we have a pretty good idea of what suits our personalities. When we think we look good, other people tend to think we look good.

~ The Cure

"She will never submit to any thing requiring industry and patience, and a subjection of the fancy to the understanding."
~ Mr. Knightley on Emma, Jane Austen's Emma
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #75
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I have no idea if my hair style or length appeals to men. The color does but I chose all three based on how I felt about it and if others like it it's really secondary.

If my guy asked me to consider changing it cos he likes something else I'd give it a shot because it's not a big deal to me and if I don't like it, I'll do what I want anyway.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote