Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BBW Forum

Old 06-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
LovelyLiz

LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Lightbulb Moments

Talking to other fat women, I've come to see that there are moments along the jouney of life where for the first time we realize some really fundamental truth, and it revolutionizes our perspective on ourselves, others, or the world. Some of those things might be that we don't have to be thin to love ourselves or to know we are beautiful. Or that we can be sexually desirable or sexually powerful. Or that we are allowed to ask for what we need. Or that we can wear what we want and don't need to bow to other people's opinions.

You get the idea.

Everyone has these moments - fat, non-fat, female, male, what have you. But living as a fat woman can make certain insights a little slower in coming, or they may take a little more time to really take deep root in ourselves. But I thought it would be fun if we fat women could share with each other some of these moments from our pasts, and any that we come to in the present. It's always a gift to learn from the wisdom of others.

So I'll start us off.

When I was in grad school for my masters I had a close friend who I'll call R. She was tall, maybe about a size 16, with big read hair and with a loud, opinionated personality (I love me some mouthy women). Anyway, it was right at the beginning of grad school when I was about 24 that I was getting into exercising regularly, and I'd often take long walks around the neighborhoods where the school was located. Most of the time nothing happened, but there was one time where a car full of white teenage boys went by and yelled something mean out the window at me (maybe some kind of fat animal sound? I don't remember exactly). Anyway, I remember feeling so ashamed of myself in that moment, and even though I knew they were jerks, I think on a deeper level I thought they were justified and that I deserved the mistreatment. I just wanted to disappear.

Sometime later, when R and I were taking a walk together, we started talking about this other friend of hers. Before grad school, R had lived in a medium-sized southern town, and hung out with a group of women who were mostly lesbians, but also some straight women. But in this southern town, they did kind of stand out. So R was telling me of times they would be walking along the sidewalk, and someone in a car would yell derrogatory slurs for lesbians (or variations on that). And she told me how her friend would yell back at them.

That literally stopped me in my tracks. WHAT?! She would YELL BACK? It was a major epiphany for me. I had never realized that in those moments I didn't have to let them take my power and my self-worth, and that I could actually instead stand tall and loud and (in whatever words came to me at the time) express my disagreement with them. Honestly, I didn't even think that way of responding was possible - it just never even crossed my mind. So it was a real lightbulb moment for me in learning to not let other people shame me or steal my voice just because I don't look the way they want me to. Not that I'm always awesome at it now, but that was a major turning point and I saw things a lot differently after that.
LovelyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
Ruffie

Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!

Mine was many years ago when I had just first started working at the youth centre I now run. I was/am one of the few white people that worked for this organization, and a young man (who is now my adopted son in the native tradition) really hated us "whities" as he called us. We were standing outside and he started to go off on white people and how we could never understand what first nations(american indians in the us) people have been through. He was saying you white bitch driving a nice car, diamonds on your fingers, big old house just how can YOU relate to us? He was challenging me, testing me and he had the crowd with him till I spoke up. I said "I can't relate really? Gee take one look at me I am fat. I have been discriminated my whole life based simply on my appearance. I have been denied jobs, health care, insurance, attention from men because of my weight. All of you standing here when I first came here to work you thought that because I am fat I would eat more than you guys right? You also thought that I wouldn't play volleyball, floor hockey and basketball with you in the gym, go horseback riding or swim with you right?" There were lots of kids lookng at the ground and saying yes or nodding. SO I got in his face and said "So don't you tell ME that I don't know what it is like to be discriminated against. Maybe its not for the color of my skin, but it is based simply on one look at me as it is for you guys. So yes I can relate to you and can accept you on a person by person basis cause that is how I want to be judged-for the content of my character. "
I had never till that moment thought of what I faced in relation to anyone elses struggle. Of course its not the same to be marginilized for generations based on ones skin color or race, but that we as fat women have faced being judged and often dismissed cause we are not what others want us to be. The kids I work with face it daily because they do not come from the right socio economic background, are in gangs or been in trouble with the law, have addictions or simply for the color of their skin. I used from that day on the feelings I had as a fat woman and the struggles I faced to have more empathy and its made me a better worker. Most of the kids now call me kohkum(Grandma in cree) as a term of respect and I have 7 kids who have adopted me as their mom so it must be working.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
Lamia
Like OMG!!

Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Lamia has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

My first lightbulb moment is kind of silly, but it was an eye opener for sure. I had been idolizing these older girls in my school. I wanted to be just like them. I was 8 years old and they were 10 to 12 years old. They wore ankle socks and I wore knee socks. I would try rolling my knee socks down to make them into ankle socks.

They would all meet in this little alcove during recess and I would position myself next to it so I could listen to their conversations.

Grease had just come out and they were talking about it. I had seen it and was excited that I was relating an experience they had with one that I had. They were talking about the final scene and what it meant and why Sandy did what she did. One girl said "I was so sad at the part where Sandy didn't know what to do with her cigarette" and all the girls were like "yeah that part was really sad". They all stopped talking and I heard one girl sort of cry and then the others comfort her. It was at the moment that I realized these girls were dumb. It wasn't sad. The scene was just a device to indicate Sandy was out of her comfort zone, but that she was doing it for Danny. It was cute maybe and embarrassing for her, but there was nothing sad about it.

I realized that just because people were older didnt know they understood the world better than I did.

I stopped trying to imitate others as a means to be one of the crowd. I pulled up my knee socks and went back to jump rope. I couldn't believe I had wasted valuable jump rope time on these girls.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:34 PM   #4
Vespertine

Vespertine carries a lot of weight on this boardVespertine carries a lot of weight on this boardVespertine carries a lot of weight on this boardVespertine carries a lot of weight on this boardVespertine carries a lot of weight on this boardVespertine carries a lot of weight on this board

When I read overcoming overeating, it turned the light bulb on that there were many women who struggled with diets like I did, and had similar eating disorders develop because of strict dieting. I'm much happier eating to my appetite now, my weight fluctuates up and down, but I don't have dieting psychosis or a feeling of punishment when I eat healthy, which is a relief and allows me to be much more functional in other parts of my life. It also helped going to a discussion group affiliated with the book when I was in my teens, cos I never, ever ever ate in public before seeing these women whip out their food bags and eat when they felt hungry.

Great thread!!
Vespertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:30 PM   #5
LovelyLiz

LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!

So this one is more about body image. I posted a little about it in another thread a while back...but I don't think it was really the place for it...lol. But someone I was chatting with last night thought I should share it again, so here it is.

Anyway, when I was about 19, and in my second year of college, I (like many 19 year old girls, and especially fat ones) hated my body. And I really doubted that I could ever be desired sexually, or that my body could be enjoyed by someone else. Then one night I had this dream (like, a sleeping dream) where I went up in some elevator, and I was naked. And when I got out of the elevator there was another me, also naked - like a naked clone of myself. So I did what I always do when confronted with a naked person in my dreams, I started making out with them. In other words, my naked self was making out with the naked clone of my naked self. It was super vivid, both visually, but especially in terms of textures and physical sensation. To this day I can still remember how it felt to make out with myself, what my body felt like, the softness, etc., because it was really vivid and memorable. It's strong in my sensual memory.

Then when I woke up from that dream I remember thinking, "Wow, that was HOT! Making out with me is awesome." And it clicked for me in a new way in that moment that someone actually could enjoy my body for what it is, and that it could actually be possible for someone to feel lucky to have the chance to make out with me and be naked with me. The possibility of that had never, ever entered my mind before, but after the dream I began to see that it wasn't the impossible thing I'd made it out to be.

It was a very healing dream.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:41 PM   #6
Vespertine

Vespertine carries a lot of weight on this boardVespertine carries a lot of weight on this boardVespertine carries a lot of weight on this boardVespertine carries a lot of weight on this boardVespertine carries a lot of weight on this boardVespertine carries a lot of weight on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbeth View Post
So I did what I always do when confronted with a naked person in my dreams, I started making out with them.

Quote:
Then when I woke up from that dream I remember thinking, "Wow, that was HOT! Making out with me is awesome." And it clicked for me in a new way in that moment that someone actually could enjoy my body for what it is, and that it could actually be possible for someone to feel lucky to have the chance to make out with me and be naked with me. The possibility of that had never, ever entered my mind before, but after the dream I began to see that it wasn't the impossible thing I'd made it out to be.

I really can't express how much i LOVE this dream. Thank you for sharing it!
Vespertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:35 PM   #7
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

It happened to me about 18 months ago actually.....

I was in a pizza place with my children. The kids went off to play the video games while I sat at the table waiting for my salad. It took a long time for my salad to arrive and the waitress brought it without silverware or dressing.
After a couple of foul ups by her, I found myself getting angry. She wouldn't let me get up to get "all the right things I needed to enjoy my food" and I was steaming, effing mad.

Wow. I stepped back from myself that day. Eating disorder monster was rearing it's ugly head again. I realized this and felt so bad....so low....so sad.
I had worked at my second job earlier that day, wanted to take my kids out and spend some nice family time with them in a family place. I was so fortunate in the grand scheme of the world....and I was off work.....just sitting by myself at a table and I had to get infuriated over lettuce on a plate.

WTF was wrong with me? I felt powerless then. Attempting to calm myself, feeling relieved that I had at least recognized what was happening in my head, I asked myself what was wrong. What was really bothering me?

I still felt low....and sad....and powerless. It hit me then. It wasn't about food....it was all about me. How I felt like such a fucking failure. How I felt as if I deserved nothing good and that life would always be hard for me in one way or another.

So.....I went back. To the root. To the past....to the beginning. Where all those feelings originate.

I then thought of what it was I had been trying to do for the past several years. The counseling, the OA meetings, leaving a bad relationship.....and the forgiveness of others. Holding onto those bad feelings for others only drains you and keeps you stuck in the past.

Gawd....how I wanted to leave the past but there it was with me again....in a fucking plate full of lettuce in front of me.

Stop it, I told myself. DO IT AGAIN. Don't give up....figure it out. What had I done wrong?

The forgiveness.....I was holding onto bad feelings. I had forgiven everyone, had I not? Was I still clinging to hatred or pain again? For whom? I went through my list........over and over. Fearful....oh so fearful of having to start all over.

Ding. It occurred to me. I had not forgiven everyone. I had forgotten someone. Wow.....someone so very important. How could I have done that?

It was me. Me. I had not forgiven myself. The bad feelings and loathing were all about myself. My failures. My past abuses towards others. My very own transgressions. My very own mistakes. How many I had made......

It was the day I forgave the last person. The day that freed me to go on with my life.

Every day since that moment has gotten fuller, easier and just better. I have not gotten that white hot anger at a waitress ever since. Nor have i gotten that angry at myself since then either.

Life is good.

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"

Last edited by Green Eyed Fairy; 06-13-2010 at 04:41 PM. Reason: I wanted to....duh
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
LovelyLiz

Thanks for sharing this, GEF. Great story, and important wisdom.

Sometimes its nice when we have some time by ourselves without distractions where we have a moment to really reflect and do what you said - go to the root of things. It's so easy in those moments for me to distract myself instead of doing the reflecting and internal processing necessary to move on from the past and be free.

Good word, sistah.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
Ruffie

Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!

I got another Lightbulb moment the other day from my elder when discussing with her why I have such difficulties with my family relationships. My husbands and my families(with a few exceptions) don't have much to do with us. The do not invite us to family gatherings, have untrue perceptions of us and I have been trying to figure out why that is, deal with the pain of untrue perceptions and how I can change this to have the close blood family I have always desired.
She said that my gifts and purpose in life is with the young and the future not the past and the old. Therefore I should continue to move forward with my path and focus on the young people that are our future, the family that has chosen me, and forget about those that so not honour or respect all that I am. The young people and the people that do see the real you love and respect you and they should be your focus rather than chasing after those that may never see you in your true light.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #10
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffie View Post
I got another Lightbulb moment the other day from my elder when discussing with her why I have such difficulties with my family relationships. My husbands and my families(with a few exceptions) don't have much to do with us. The do not invite us to family gatherings, have untrue perceptions of us and I have been trying to figure out why that is, deal with the pain of untrue perceptions and how I can change this to have the close blood family I have always desired.
She said that my gifts and purpose in life is with the young and the future not the past and the old. Therefore I should continue to move forward with my path and focus on the young people that are our future, the family that has chosen me, and forget about those that so not honour or respect all that I am. The young people and the people that do see the real you love and respect you and they should be your focus rather than chasing after those that may never see you in your true light.
Sounds like some good advice

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:07 PM   #11
Ruffie

Yes it is she is a very wise lady and I have a great support spiritually from her as well as a terrific friend.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:54 PM   #12
katherine22

katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katherine22 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
So this one is more about body image. I posted a little about it in another thread a while back...but I don't think it was really the place for it...lol. But someone I was chatting with last night thought I should share it again, so here it is.

Anyway, when I was about 19, and in my second year of college, I (like many 19 year old girls, and especially fat ones) hated my body. And I really doubted that I could ever be desired sexually, or that my body could be enjoyed by someone else. Then one night I had this dream (like, a sleeping dream) where I went up in some elevator, and I was naked. And when I got out of the elevator there was another me, also naked - like a naked clone of myself. So I did what I always do when confronted with a naked person in my dreams, I started making out with them. In other words, my naked self was making out with the naked clone of my naked self. It was super vivid, both visually, but especially in terms of textures and physical sensation. To this day I can still remember how it felt to make out with myself, what my body felt like, the softness, etc., because it was really vivid and memorable. It's strong in my sensual memory.

This is an amazing story and an example of how psyche takes care of us in our dreams. I cannot tell you how many times I would wake up from a strong orgasm from a dream. My psyche was taking care to see that I had some sexual release when I felt so hateful of my body.

At peril of sounding cliche, I read somewhere probably in one of those Marianne Williamson books that " a definition of a miracle is a change in perception." A big turn around for me is when I posted some pictures of me on a website for BBW and the next day there were 15 responses. Then I realized that there were some interesting, attractive and intellilgent men who liked big women. I met my current boyfriend of six months on a website. This self-acceptance changed everything. It changed the way I dressed. moved and interacted with others. I decided that I was beautiful and begun to behave the way I thought beautiful women behave. I have never felt more self-accepting and beautiful in my life. My sense of desirability is not predicated on weight. I have met men who wanted me fatter and thinner. I weigh what I want to weigh irrespective of another's opinion.

Queen Elizabeth I residing within.

If I continue to eat I will grow as big as a room.
"What are rooms for?":bow:
katherine22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #13
gobettiepurple
I'm your huckleberry

gobettiepurple knows EXACTLY what's going ongobettiepurple knows EXACTLY what's going ongobettiepurple knows EXACTLY what's going ongobettiepurple knows EXACTLY what's going ongobettiepurple knows EXACTLY what's going ongobettiepurple knows EXACTLY what's going ongobettiepurple knows EXACTLY what's going on
Default omg . . . how did I miss this thread?

Leave it to MCBETH to post an awesome thread!

Yeah, my ah-ha moment [not "Take on me" or anything Ah-ha humor!] recently. I found a picture of myself from my freshmen year of high school. I was pretty hot back then [and i remember thinking so at the time ] but I also remembered that throughout my life, my mother had sent us on this dieting rollercoaster where we would punish our bodies because they didnt look like other people's. I looked at this little girl in the photograph - and i know it wasnt her fault that she hated her body so much. it kind of made me sad, because if i would have just loved myself and been okay with my size, then i dont think I would of got as heavy as I did in the past few years.

It made me feel sad, but more importantly I wanted to make myself better. i didnt want to be afraid of food or what it could do to me. I wanted to grab my life back from the brink . . . and I think I am doing a pretty good job at that!
Old 07-17-2010, 10:27 AM   #14
Fat.n.sassy
CelebratingNeurodiversity

Fat.n.sassy knows EXACTLY what's going onFat.n.sassy knows EXACTLY what's going onFat.n.sassy knows EXACTLY what's going onFat.n.sassy knows EXACTLY what's going onFat.n.sassy knows EXACTLY what's going onFat.n.sassy knows EXACTLY what's going on

One 'lightbulb' moment for me was when my oldest (now 24) was in elementary school. I had just driven him to school and was walking back to the car when I saw one of his classmates with a wand for 'show & tell'.

I said how cool I thought her wand was and asked jokingly if she was a wish fairy. She said, "Yes!" Then waved her wand at me.

She said "Abra cadabra.....you're thin!" She was very pleased and, of course, expected me to be too.

Quickly thinking, I exclaimed in obviously pretended surprise, "Oh no! Please put it back, put it back! I like myself the way I was!"

She looked at me like I'd grown another pair of arms! She was staring at me dumbly and I explained, "Everybody is different, we all are unique. My body is meant to look like it was!"

She sort of half-heartedly waved her wand over me and said "You're back the way you were." I think she assumed I would change my mind. I smiled and exclaimed, "Thank you, thank you, thank you!", patting my belly, arms and hips.

She turned to run into the school, looked back at me to see if I was still smiling, then she smiled and ran in. Hopefully, I planted some seeds of self acceptance.
Fat.n.sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #15
nettie

nettie is a pillar of the Dimensions communitynettie is a pillar of the Dimensions communitynettie is a pillar of the Dimensions communitynettie is a pillar of the Dimensions communitynettie is a pillar of the Dimensions communitynettie is a pillar of the Dimensions communitynettie is a pillar of the Dimensions communitynettie is a pillar of the Dimensions communitynettie is a pillar of the Dimensions communitynettie is a pillar of the Dimensions communitynettie is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat.n.sassy View Post
One 'lightbulb' moment for me was when my oldest (now 24) was in elementary school. I had just driven him to school and was walking back to the car when I saw one of his classmates with a wand for 'show & tell'.

I said how cool I thought her wand was and asked jokingly if she was a wish fairy. She said, "Yes!" Then waved her wand at me.

She said "Abra cadabra.....you're thin!" She was very pleased and, of course, expected me to be too.

Quickly thinking, I exclaimed in obviously pretended surprise, "Oh no! Please put it back, put it back! I like myself the way I was!"

She looked at me like I'd grown another pair of arms! She was staring at me dumbly and I explained, "Everybody is different, we all are unique. My body is meant to look like it was!"

She sort of half-heartedly waved her wand over me and said "You're back the way you were." I think she assumed I would change my mind. I smiled and exclaimed, "Thank you, thank you, thank you!", patting my belly, arms and hips.

She turned to run into the school, looked back at me to see if I was still smiling, then she smiled and ran in. Hopefully, I planted some seeds of self acceptance.
What a beautiful response!

My lightbulb moment came when I'd lost a few pounds and my father was, once again, asking me if I felt happier. I told him no, that HE was the one who was happier when I lost weight and that I had been perfectly happy at my previous weight. And then I realized I wasn't just being a smart-ass. I meant it.
nettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:21 PM   #16
Myn

Myn does more than just post hot picsMyn does more than just post hot picsMyn does more than just post hot picsMyn does more than just post hot pics

This one's kind of a two-parter, so please bear with me.

Back in May, talking to my sister after my mom went back to smoking after another "attempt" to quit, I told her that there had to be something about smoking that mom likes, or she wouldn't do it. And then it occurred to me that I've been saying for years that I intended to lose weight, including the intent to have WLS just like my other sister had. But was I getting off my butt or laying off the cheesecake?

And then, about a month of calorie tracking and exercising later, I realized three things in the course of one day. One, that I hadn't had a conversation without mentioning food or exercise for some time and I really needed to get a whole lot less obsessed, really quickly. Second, that I don't think my sister who had WLS looks good; I think she looks sick, and her "triumph" of shopping in the juniors department isn't one I want to share. Regular stores as opposed to internet specialty shops, sure. Clothes for tiny girls half my age, not so much. And, third, that the girls in Lo-Rider's Skinny video are more along the lines of what I think is sexy, and what I'd want to look like. All of them are BBWs, and all of them are freaking hot.

Which is what sent me looking at Fat Acceptance sites. I'm going to keep exercising, because I like it and it helps my mood. I'll probably keep track of my calories for a while longer, although I doubt I'll get around to making that low calorie weight loss plan I was intending to - and there's a slice of cheesecake waiting for me in the fridge. If I lose some weight, fine. If I don't, then that's fine, too.

And I'm never having WLS. I don't need it to become a better person, a happier person, or even a fitter person. My guts are fine the way God made them.
Myn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:28 PM   #17
Fat.n.sassy
CelebratingNeurodiversity

Fat.n.sassy knows EXACTLY what's going onFat.n.sassy knows EXACTLY what's going onFat.n.sassy knows EXACTLY what's going onFat.n.sassy knows EXACTLY what's going onFat.n.sassy knows EXACTLY what's going onFat.n.sassy knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettie View Post
What a beautiful response!

My lightbulb moment came when I'd lost a few pounds and my father was, once again, asking me if I felt happier. I told him no, that HE was the one who was happier when I lost weight and that I had been perfectly happy at my previous weight. And then I realized I wasn't just being a smart-ass. I meant it.
Yea for you!! (((Hugs)))!
Fat.n.sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #18
PewterBunny

PewterBunny can now change their title
Lightbulb My thanks to A...

I was fat from the time I was about 5 maybe 6 yrs old. Prior to that I was so skinny the neighbours worried about me in the winter time. I dunno what happened...and never really questioned it until my Mom had trouble finding me clothes that fit. I always ended up wearing clothes that were for people 3-4 ages older than me. Thank goodness mom knew how to sew and alter the pants or the sleeves. I vividly remember I was in grade 8, and my Grandmother was staying with us for a while. Mom ordered 2 "pant suits" You know the ones with Polyester pants...they always made you feel like you were wet, scratchy and itchy? One in green for grandma and one in blue for me. Well they arrived, and to my horror...Grandma got the blue one I chose, because the green one we ordered for grandma was too big, but it fit me...not the blue one, that she got to wear. Sigh I got teased on a daily basis...which continued all the way through High School. I entered the workforce...and the teasing stopped, but not the looks and stares etc... I met A through a dating website...and we met on Christmas Eve...it was love at first site. He was very cute and Fat as well. We eventually moved in together. One day doing laundry, on my day off and A was at work I felt something in his sock drawer. I pulled it out and found several Copies of Plumpers, and Dimesions and a 3rd magazine that escapes me now.
WELL....I was exhilarated...Overjoyed...amazed that there was enough people out there that liked fat women enough to actually put together a magazine. Not just one....THREE of them! And not just Fat like me...really fat...like I could eat what I wanted when I wanted and there were still people out there that would love and admire me!
I layed out all the copies he had stashed away, on the bed. I started with one and looked over every single page...giggled, and was so struck and dumbfounded, I was just so amazed. Copy after copy, page after page...I was so happy.
A came home from work. I waited for him to wander into the bedroom. He found me on the bed with all his copies. It looked like he went GREEN in the face....
I made my voice very stern and acted like I was upset. Put my hands on my hips and said "So what the H*ll do you think you are doing...hiding these in your drawer"? He stumbled and sputtered and never really did get out an audible response in English ha ha ha. I decided to let him off the hook and said "Cause these are Freaking AMAZING!! I never knew there was such a thing!" Well the laundry never did get finished that day...
But me and A would both check out the magazine racks and pick out a couple now and then.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #19
thirtiesgirl
frumious bandersnatch

thirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging in

Ah, just found this thread, thanks to PewterBunny's bump. I don't think I've had one big lightbulb moment yet in my journey of size- and self-acceptance. It's been a combination of a lot of little moments, for me, mostly reading things that other people have written on the subject in blogs, online communities and books.

For example, this quote from the Fat Lot of Good blog: "When are these people going to realize that shame and self loathing does not encourage people to change their lives? You are not going to make me thin by calling me names and telling me I am lazy, gluttonous slob. If that was the way to thin, I would be Rachel Zoe by now." What I get from this quote, besides the point that fat fearers and haters should shut the hell up, is that I'm also included in the shame and self-loathing. What it tells me is that hating my body, engaging in negative self-talk is not going to change my physicality.

Or this quote from Marianne Kirby over at The Rotund: "If your body is healthy, by your own standards or conventional medical standards, Fat Acceptance is for you. If your body is unhealthy, by your own standards or conventional medical standards, Fat Acceptance is for you. If your body is brown or black or red or yellow or white or any other color, your body deserves dignity. ...YOUR BODY IS JUST FINE THE WAY IT IS. Fat Acceptance isn’t about imposing other people’s rules on your body. Whether you practice HAES (Health At Every Size) or not, your body is not evidence of some moral failing. If you are lazy and self-indulgent and whatever other word you can think of to horrify those hard-working Puritans, your body is STILL not evidence of some moral failing."

I return to that quote over and over again when I need to because it reminds me that I'm fine just the way I am. And I still need to be reminded of that on a nearly constant basis, especially if it's going to become part of my inner self-talk and change all those negative patterns I know so well.

Another idea that has had a big impact on me is something that Lesley Kinzel over at her Fatshionista! blog preaches often, which is that fat is neither good or bad, if I can paraphrase her for a moment. Fat just is. Being fat is not a moral failing (as Marianne writes), it's not a thing to be judged on as a good or bad person. It just is. Which is another thing I need to be reminded of often. Trying, again, to help this become part of my inner dialogue and reach a point where I no longer have doubts.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:17 PM   #20
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Then one night I had this dream (like, a sleeping dream) where I went up in some elevator, and I was naked. And when I got out of the elevator there was another me, also naked - like a naked clone of myself. So I did what I always do when confronted with a naked person in my dreams, I started making out with them. In other words, my naked self was making out with the naked clone of my naked self. It was super vivid, both visually, but especially in terms of textures and physical sensation. To this day I can still remember how it felt to make out with myself, what my body felt like, the softness, etc., because it was really vivid and memorable. It's strong in my sensual memory.

I had a very similar dream, without the elevator. In the dream, I walked into my bedroom and realized, as I approached the bed, that someone was already in it. I saw myself, relaxed in the softness of slumber, and was so powerfully drawn to the beauty of my sleeping self that I climbed in bed and started ... well, never mind the details.

It was so startling and profound. The imagery and sensation were greater than anything I remember ever experiencing in a dream. It was very erotic, and I was shocked at myself when I woke up for having had the dream. Until I realized that maybe it had been like a blessing of sorts, and perhaps I had been shown a part of myself that I had never really come close to seeing before that.

I had forgotten all about it until I read your post, and it was like being given a gift to have that experience back, all over again.

Thank you so much!
Old 11-28-2010, 12:35 AM   #21
LovelyLiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2one View Post
I had forgotten all about it until I read your post, and it was like being given a gift to have that experience back, all over again.

Thank you so much!
Wow, I'm so happy to hear that! And of course, now me reading your post responding to my post reminds me of the dream, and I get to relive that experience too.

That's kind of awesome that we both had that dream-experience. It totally is a gift and a blessing, you're right.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:48 AM   #22
Juice

Juice can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesJuice can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Nice thread!
When I met my boyfriend I didn't know that he liked bigger women. I liked him from the very first moment but was too embarrassed to even think about it. He was calling me trying to initiate a conversation with me and I thought that he was into one of my friends and just wanted to be friendly with the fat friend. When he invited me for dinner I started realizing that he might truly like me. I then found out that his ex-girlfriend was fat. I felt such an idiot for trying to kill a feeling just because I was so convinced that a tall, athletic man would naturally like a slim athletic woman and not me.
Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:02 AM   #23
PewterBunny

PewterBunny can now change their title
Default Agreed

I can TOTALLY understand how you feel, I've had the same experience as well, and hopefully a lot of us have had the same feeling with the same outcome...a relationship of some sort after we have come to the realization that YES there are people out there that like us!
I'm so glad you had that experience...and thanks for sharing!
PB
Old 12-05-2010, 08:49 PM   #24
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
That's kind of awesome that we both had that dream-experience.
I agree ... very cool!
Old 12-14-2010, 08:58 PM   #25
1love_emily
COLLEGE

1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1love_emily has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I want to thank you all for posting these.

My biggest fear is that people don't actually like me, and instead, only put up with me. And part of the reason of that fear, I believe, is because I don't feel accepted amongst most of my peers.

I feel like I'm in my "lightbulb moment" process, if that makes sense. I don't feel like I've fully come to accept my size, but I don't hate myself now like I used to. Even a few weeks ago I was scraping a thumb tack along my wrist in attempts to cut myself without leaving scars. (It didn't work...) I went through diets, I went through it all. I'm going to be me now.

So thanks. A lot.

Love, Emily
1love_emily is offline   Reply With Quote