Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Health Forum

Old 06-12-2010, 07:59 AM   #1
NYCGabriel
On Timeout

NYCGabriel never has a post go unnoticedNYCGabriel never has a post go unnoticedNYCGabriel never has a post go unnoticedNYCGabriel never has a post go unnoticedNYCGabriel never has a post go unnoticedNYCGabriel never has a post go unnoticedNYCGabriel never has a post go unnoticed
Default organic labels may make you underestimate calories

http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2...ries/?hpt=Sbin
NYCGabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

"Whole Grain" and "whole wheat" is another one that trips a lot of people up nutrition-wise. Sorry but a whole grain pop tart isn't significantly healthier than a regular pop tart. And a pizza loaded down with cheese and pepperoni on a whole wheat crust is not health food. I have a recipe called "better for you" peanut butter chocolate chip cookies that calls for white wheat whole grain flour, very little salt, and natural peanut butter. I guess they are marginally better for you but they are still cookies made with LOTS of butter, sugar, and chocolate.

I eat organic but cook from scratch most of the time, so whether organic or conventional, staple items and whole foods are pretty much the same nutrition-wise. But I have bought processed organic foods and not even thought to look at the nutrition label on the package. For all I know, that bottle of organic spaghetti sauce we had for supper the other night could have more calories, sodium, and sugar in it than any of the non-organic brands on the store shelves. I was just so happy to find organic prepared sauce at the local supermarket that didn't cost six bucks a jar that I didn't care about anything else.

Tracy
Old 06-14-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
FatAndProud

FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Organic has nothing to do with calories. It has more to do with whether or not they used pesticides/inorganic chemicals or not. Organic is SUPPOSED to NOT use pesticides/inorganic chemicals. Pesticides residues, of course, introduce free radicals into your body. Most leafy veggies and any veggies/fruits that spoil easily, generally are treated with pesticides to maximize profit. So, yeah.
FatAndProud is offline   Reply With Quote