Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Archives > Event Discussion (Archive Only)

Old 06-29-2010, 06:30 AM   #1
wrestlingguy
"Bitter Old Man"

wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Philadelphia Museum of Art - 7/11/2010

So, I was mentioning to a few of my friends that I recently visited the museum, and that I was bummed over the fact that the Late Renoir exhibit had yet to open.

A few of them suggested trying to get a group together to go, so I decided it would be a good idea to post it here, to see if there was any interest.

We could meet at the museum, and go as a group. I'm sure that a few of us have no problem driving into Philly, especially to see an exhibit like this!

Here's some info on the exhibit, if any of you are interested:
http://www.philamuseum.org/exhibitions/359.html

Tickets are available in advance, but can also be purchased at the museum, based on availability. If you are planning on coming, you may want to get your tix in advance, just to avoid a potential problem with ticketing the day we go.

Additionally, if anyone has special needs, here's a link to the accessibility info for the museum:
http://www.philamuseum.org/visit/56-7.html

I really hope there's some interest!

Old 06-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
Rosebud
Irresponsible Fatty

Rosebud is a member of the 500 clubRosebud is a member of the 500 clubRosebud is a member of the 500 clubRosebud is a member of the 500 clubRosebud is a member of the 500 clubRosebud is a member of the 500 club

I'll be the first to say I want to go.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
Weeze
Justin Bieber of Dims

Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'll be the second. I see the museum when I go through the city all the time, and I've always wanted to go in!
Old 06-29-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
Leesa

Leesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default Ahhht!

tempted... anyone have a couch for me to crash on?
Old 06-29-2010, 03:07 PM   #5
KendraLee

KendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
tempted... anyone have a couch for me to crash on?
Leesa say you'll go since I'll be going too
Old 06-29-2010, 07:57 PM   #6
smiley55

smiley55 can now change their title

Sounds like fun! I'll be in Philly that weekend, may I join?!

S.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:34 AM   #7
wrestlingguy
"Bitter Old Man"

wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley55 View Post
Sounds like fun! I'll be in Philly that weekend, may I join?!

S.
Absolutely! We can meet at the museum entrance. I'd recommend we meet at the rear entrance of the museum just because there are fewer steps to climb.

Again, it would probably be a good idea to purchase tickets in advance. I visited the Dali exhibit here a few years ago, and the lines were long and painful, especially if you didn't have a ticket, so be forewarned.

If anyone is interested in doing lunch in town afterward, send me a PM, and we can talk about a restaurant.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:49 AM   #8
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

For anyone needing accomodations, there's a best western pretty near the museum. You certainly might be able to get something cheaper using hotel.com or whatever, if you want locationlocationlocation, that's a good choice.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #9
Weeze
Justin Bieber of Dims

Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

This might sound dumb, but does anyone know what parking's like around that area?
Old 07-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #10
wrestlingguy
"Bitter Old Man"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeze View Post
This might sound dumb, but does anyone know what parking's like around that area?
There's a museum lot behind the main entrance (Schuylkill River side), and I think the parking was free with museum admission. Just bring your ticket with you inside the museum, and they will validate it for you.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #11
wrestlingguy
"Bitter Old Man"

PLEASE NOTE~

When you purchase tickets for the exhibit, it is for a specific entrance time.

We should all purchase tickets for the 10 am entrance, if we'd like to see the exhibit together.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #12
wrestlingguy
"Bitter Old Man"

Thought I'd add some pics from our field trip. Just a handful of us went, it included me, Rosebud, Kendra, and Smiley55. The exhibit was very relaxed, there was a lot of space to move throughout the exhibit freely, and we didn't feel rushed at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34608_407399800807_505800807_4877109_153114_n.jpg (99.0 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg renoir1.jpg (23.6 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg renoir-nude.jpg (26.0 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg 36409_407402825807_505800807_4877240_6202695_n.jpg (67.8 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg 34032_407415610807_505800807_4877621_6627097_n.jpg (57.9 KB, 274 views)
Old 07-11-2010, 02:25 PM   #13
wrestlingguy
"Bitter Old Man"

Moar picz.........
Old 07-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #14
bigsexy920
Ok I'll be good.

bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Great pics - thanks for sharing the pics.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:29 PM   #15
ThatFatGirl
Why am I still here?

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Looks like a lot of fun. Glad you enjoyed and thanks for sharing the pics.

Fleeting Fancies
Old 07-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #16
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Awesome!

pants
Old 07-12-2010, 12:41 PM   #17
MuleVariationsNYC
Math ap Mathonwy

MuleVariationsNYC makes people happy simply by logging inMuleVariationsNYC makes people happy simply by logging inMuleVariationsNYC makes people happy simply by logging inMuleVariationsNYC makes people happy simply by logging inMuleVariationsNYC makes people happy simply by logging inMuleVariationsNYC makes people happy simply by logging inMuleVariationsNYC makes people happy simply by logging inMuleVariationsNYC makes people happy simply by logging inMuleVariationsNYC makes people happy simply by logging in

Glad you guys had such a fun time!
Old 07-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #18
wrestlingguy
"Bitter Old Man"

After we left the museum, we drove about 20 minutes to a great Vietnamese restaurant in Philly called Pho Saigon, where we shared some different pho, barbecued chicken, some soups, and summer rolls with peanut sauce.

Here's a link to a blurb about the restaurant, and their menu:
http://citypaper.net/blogs/mealticke...en-pho-saigon/

Old 07-12-2010, 05:10 PM   #19
Rosebud
Irresponsible Fatty

Rosebud is a member of the 500 clubRosebud is a member of the 500 clubRosebud is a member of the 500 clubRosebud is a member of the 500 clubRosebud is a member of the 500 clubRosebud is a member of the 500 club

I had a fantastic time this weekend. I got to hang with my pal Renoir, meet some great new people, and try Vietnamese for the first time. The weather was absolutely perfect and (perhaps best of all) I got a great workout on the steps up to the museum.

Please, let's do something like this again soon!
Old 07-13-2010, 08:21 AM   #20
smiley55

smiley55 can now change their title

Yes, lets! Ha great pics too btw
Old 07-13-2010, 03:36 PM   #21
KendraLee

KendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging in

Anyone interested in making this place one of our future stops http://www.phillymagicgardens.org/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg magic gardens.jpg (83.6 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg magic_garden_3.jpg (82.2 KB, 198 views)
Old 07-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #22
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendraLee View Post
Anyone interested in making this place one of our future stops http://www.phillymagicgardens.org/
omg that looks amazing!!! I wonder if the path is travelscoot-friendly (my little portable scooter)

p.s. I LOVE mosaics. Why don't I know about this place??

edited to add - found this on the site: "Much of the main indoor gallery at Philadelphia's Magic Gardens and parts of the outdoor sculpture garden are accessible to persons in wheelchairs. Both the gallery and the sculpture garden have stairways and narrow passageways that are not equipped with ramps, elevators, or railings. Disabled visitors are encouraged to further explore the work of Isaiah Zagar through PMG tours that lead visitors down the sidewalks and alleys of the surrounding neighborhood."
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Last edited by SoVerySoft; 07-13-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #23
wrestlingguy
"Bitter Old Man"

I'd also like to propose Grounds For Sculpture in Jersey as well.

From their website:
Quote:
The curatorial focus of Grounds For Sculpture is to present the work of both established and emerging sculptors. Emerging sculptors are defined as artists at the beginning of their careers as well as artists whose work has contributed to the field of contemporary sculpture significantly without accompanying recognition. The outdoor exhibition grows by approximately 15 sculptures annually. New additions outdoors are selected to augment indoor exhibitions, to add new artists to the sculpture park, and to work in conjunction with the landscaped environment.

Most of the sculptures on exhibit outdoors are displayed courtesy of The Sculpture Foundation, Inc., a charitable foundation that collects works of art by American and international artists. The Foundation supports Grounds For Sculpture by lending works for exhibit in the park. Sculptures in a variety of styles and media, including bronze, steel, stone, wood, concrete and mixed media are represented.

The Museum Building is fully accessible on the ground floor. A "Patronís Guide" illustrating artworks installed on the small mezzanine is available at the Museumís reception desk. The Visitor Center and the Domestic Arts Building are fully accessible. Accessible walkways allow for access to the 35-acre, landscaped sculpture park.
I've visited here on several occasions. It's all in the open, and very accessible. Admission is $12, $10 for seniors (no comments about me qualifying)

Old 07-13-2010, 10:24 PM   #24
toni
In the know

toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingguy View Post
\ Admission is $12, $10 for seniors (no comments about me qualifying)
Damn!!!!
Old 07-19-2010, 07:13 AM   #25
Jes
is oddly aroused

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingguy View Post
I'd also like to propose Grounds For Sculpture in Jersey as well.

From their website:

I've visited here on several occasions. It's all in the open, and very accessible. Admission is $12, $10 for seniors (no comments about me qualifying)
]
One of my friends works there (as a welder. I learned through him that artists don't do their own fabrication--they come up with the design and plans and then welders make it! Who knew? I guess I should have...that's the way the rest of the world works). I keep meaning to go, but so far it hasn't happened.

For those who like Zagar's work, you might want to see The Village. It's one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. Covers a lot of ground and is...marvelous.
http://www.villagearts.org/
I honestly don't know how accessible these places are. My needs are different than many here, but a phonecall should answer a lot of questions.