Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 07-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
Saoirse

Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Simple dinner for a group of guys?

Since I like to cook, but hardly ever get the chance I offered to make dinner for my friend and his roommates this week. The only trouble is, I dont know what to make!

Im not sure how many people will be there as one of the roommates is away, another roommate is never home and friends are always stopping by. Im gonna go ahead and guess 3-6 people.

Im thinking since there might be a lot of people there and the boys love to eat, it needs to be filling, but easy to prepare! A friend suggested lasagna or spaghetti, but I dont think I want to do pasta.

I was thinking meatloaf and mashed taters, but I dont know if Ill be able to make enough. Chicken pot pie was another thought.

Any suggestions? I do have a couple cookbooks that havent been opened in a few years. Maybe I need to go through them.
Saoirse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

If it wasn't so hot out, I would suggest a big pot of Chili.

My first thought was lasagna..but meatloaf would probably be good as well.
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
spiritangel
AmandaClause

spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!

I would suggest a roast but if its super hot that is way to hot to prepare what about a bbq? or home made pizza?
Old 07-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #4
toni
In the know

toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Hashbrown Casserole

It is fun and easy. I would love it!

1 lb. ground beef
1/4 tsp. salt
1 (24 oz.) pkg. frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 c. sour cream
2 c. cheddar cheese, grated
2 c. French fried onions
1 med. onion, chopped

Cook beef, breaking up into pieces. Add chopped onion; drain fat. Combine remaining ingredients except French fried onions. Place in casserole. Top with French fried onions. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
TraciJo67
On Timeout

TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

www.thepioneerwomancooks.com and then click on the "cowboy food" link.

Almost every recipe is very simple to make, and all have step-by-step fail-proof instructions.

Her current front page recipe is for beef & bean burritos. And they look quite tasty.
TraciJo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #6
Christov
On Timeout

Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Raw meat, BBQ sauce. The manliest meal there is.

And for pudding? BULLETS.
Christov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
Weeze
Justin Bieber of Dims

Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraciJo67 View Post
www.thepioneerwomancooks.com and then click on the "cowboy food" link.

Almost every recipe is very simple to make, and all have step-by-step fail-proof instructions.

Her current front page recipe is for beef & bean burritos. And they look quite tasty.
God, I love Pioneer Woman. Seriously, I want her to have my babies... except she has enough of her own.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:55 PM   #8
TraciJo67
On Timeout

TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

If budget concerns aren't an issue, steaks on the grill, with an overnight marinade (really, really simple: Jack Daniels marinade-in-bag sauces are delicious - I just add fresh garlic and a pinch of chili sauce to the bag). Toss on some corn on the cob basted with a simple butter-garlic-squeeze of lime juice and add plenty of salt 'n pepper. Simple pre-made Dole salad - I love the caesar mix. Crusty dinner rolls. Chunky mashed potatoes mixed with cheddar cheese, sour cream, crispy bits of bacon, and lots of fresh pan-seared garlic. It makes for a very satisfying meal, and it's really easy to prepare (most of it in advance).
TraciJo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #9
lalatx
has the worst intentions

lalatx makes people happy simply by logging inlalatx makes people happy simply by logging inlalatx makes people happy simply by logging inlalatx makes people happy simply by logging inlalatx makes people happy simply by logging inlalatx makes people happy simply by logging inlalatx makes people happy simply by logging inlalatx makes people happy simply by logging inlalatx makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christov View Post
Raw meat, BBQ sauce. The manliest meal there is.

And for pudding? BULLETS.
The bullets require some seasoning. So shoot the animal, and use those bullets for pudding... and by pudding I assume you mean dessert for us non British folks.

Also whiskey & beer. No manly meal is complete without whiskey & beer.

Nah but really steak and potatoes are always good for a group of guys. I have a lot of guy friends and for the most part they will eat whatever you cook and be happy about it.

Last edited by lalatx; 07-12-2010 at 09:24 PM.
lalatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:10 AM   #10
isamarie69
Live and let die!!!

isamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticed

I think a hearty beef burgundy stew or yummy beef stroganoff.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:20 AM   #11
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

If heat is not too much of an issue, I'd go with a roast--lot's of meat will seldom go amiss with young men. Add in roasted potatoes and vegetables and it all cooks at once.

Then if you feel you want to put in a little more effort, invest that in dessert. Make a cake or pie, or they'll probably all be worshiping at your feet
Old 07-13-2010, 09:13 AM   #12
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Sloppy Joes? Cheap and easy, go great with beer.

Agree with Tad...invest in the desert. For some reason guys seem to LOVE pies.

Last edited by lypeaches; 07-13-2010 at 09:14 AM. Reason: ps
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #13
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I think anything with meat is going to be a hit with guys. How about a nice meaty chili served with some fixin's so they can mix it up. Make the chili without beans, so it's just meat and sauce, then have a bar setup with bowls of beans, pasta, onion, cheese, corn, oyster crackers, etc so the guys can customize their chili. Serve with some good crusty bread and some quality brews.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:08 PM   #14
goofy girl
took a sharp left turn

goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Sausage and peppers? And you can either do them as sandwiches or with rice on the side, or some kind of potato.

Pulled pork is awesome, too. It can be somewhat expensive but it feeds TONS of people. Steve and I always end up eating it for days. It's wicked easy in a crock pot.

Tacos?

Home made mac and cheese, with bacon in it (I like mushrooms in mine too) ...baked with bread crumbs or ritz topping? It's pasta, but guys think it's amazing when someone makes home made mac and cheese which is funny because it's the easiest thing ever.

I'm trying to think of something a bunch of guys wouldn't normally cook for themselves...I'll be back with more ideas lol

Last edited by goofy girl; 07-13-2010 at 03:13 PM.
goofy girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:55 PM   #15
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I asked Jackie what she would do, and she said BBQ ribs and baked potatoes. Get a bunch of toppings so they could do up their own potatoes. She also suggested wings. A variety of flavorings and heat. Beer would go fine with both ideas.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:01 PM   #16
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

It's real simple to pick up the phone and tell them to order whatever they want.

mossystate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #17
bigsexy920
Ok I'll be good.

bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!

For a bunch of guys - steak - on the grill - corn on the cob - sliced tomato's with blue cheese dressing. Yum - its a perfect summer meal.
bigsexy920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:20 AM   #18
goofy girl
took a sharp left turn

goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!

What did you decide on? (I'm nosey lol)
Old 07-19-2010, 05:23 PM   #19
Saoirse

Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!Saoirse keeps pushing the rep limit!

oops forgot about this thread!

I ended up making jambalaya with turkey kielbasa and shrimp. Also made some garlic-cheddar biscuits and an Irish cream cake for dessert!

Unfortunately, only one of the guys was actually there! Everyone else bailed on me and didnt even let me know! But the one guy that was there (amazing guy ) loved it and ate a ton.

But it wasn't a total bust, because later on some hungry, dirty hippies stopped over and ate the leftovers!

Thanks for all the suggestions! I know I'll be making them dinner again (and again and again)!
Old 07-19-2010, 05:41 PM   #20
goofy girl
took a sharp left turn

Sounds like it was awesome!!
Old 07-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #21
spiritangel
AmandaClause

spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!

wow definately puts you in the can cook catogry for sure

you will have to take pics of your cooking for us one day
Old 07-20-2010, 01:34 PM   #22
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Can you please elaborate about the Irish Cream cake? Sounds interesting. Thanks!
D_A_Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #23
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Too bad you didn't take pictures of it all....so you could have sent them to the guys who bailed and added "This is what I cooked for you, and you missed it!" What they did totally sucks I'm sure they didn't see things the same way you did, or they wouldn't have bailed without notice, but they need to learn to think through from more than one point of view.

Well, I hope next time you get ambitious with your cooking, it is for people who show up!
Old 07-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #24
KuroBara
"She Coo"

KuroBara makes people happy simply by logging inKuroBara makes people happy simply by logging inKuroBara makes people happy simply by logging inKuroBara makes people happy simply by logging inKuroBara makes people happy simply by logging inKuroBara makes people happy simply by logging inKuroBara makes people happy simply by logging inKuroBara makes people happy simply by logging inKuroBara makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni View Post
Hashbrown Casserole

It is fun and easy. I would love it!

1 lb. ground beef
1/4 tsp. salt
1 (24 oz.) pkg. frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 c. sour cream
2 c. cheddar cheese, grated
2 c. French fried onions
1 med. onion, chopped

Cook beef, breaking up into pieces. Add chopped onion; drain fat. Combine remaining ingredients except French fried onions. Place in casserole. Top with French fried onions. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

I was going to suggest Potato Skins, but this is waaaaayyyyy cooler!!

FaceBook and FarmVille, Yo!Ville, Mafia Wars and Cafe World addict! ID: Geralyn Holmes
KuroBara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #25
Saoirse

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_A_Bunny View Post
Can you please elaborate about the Irish Cream cake? Sounds interesting. Thanks!
omg its only the most foodgasmic cake EVER. Saw the recipe on tv, tried it and have been wowing people ever since!

here's the recipe!