Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 07-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Pantry Creations?

Hey guys,

I poked around a bit to see if there's another thread like this, but couldn't find anything - if there's another one - we'll combine this in, etc.

Anyway, I occasionally just grab a bunch of stuff and try to make something that would possibly taste good. Often it's a modification of a fairly normal thing, other times it's like 3 of the strangest things, but I have nothing else so I put them together somehow and see if it comes out like real food.

Anyone else do this??

I am asking today because when I got home I started grabbing things and poking around and this is what I ended up with:

3 small cans chicken broth (I'd have used a large single if I'd had it, I prefer those)
2 cans of corn (I had no creamed or one probably would have been creamed)
salt/pepper
Hormel Bacon Pieces
1 lb of shredded frozen potatoes (the hash brown kind)
and 1 package of instant cheesy mashed potatoes
1c or so of FF half and half
some dehydrated onion thingies from Tastefully Simple (onion onion)

Anything I used there that's not the real deal (a fresh onion or newly cooked bacon or actual cheese) is because I didn't have the real stuff anyway - hence the "experimental" aspect.

So I dumped the broth, corn, potatoes, salt, pepper, and bacon into the pot and boiled it on medium heat (rolling boil) for about 20 mins. Started to smell amazingly good!! Stirred it up, checked potatoes and they were nicely soften up (I was a little afraid they'd stay real crunchy).

Then I added in the instant cheese potato packet as a thickener, then the half and half.

So that's it, and it's cooking still right now - always better the longer things set up. It smells GREAT and from what I tasted as quick sample it's really, really good.

So basically a down and dirty potato corn chowder.

I'm going to have it in a little while, but as of right now I would definitely like to remember and make this again. it was ridiculously easy and quick.

Anyone else making crazy dinners?
Old 07-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
jdsumm
persistently hopeful

jdsumm does more than just post hot picsjdsumm does more than just post hot picsjdsumm does more than just post hot picsjdsumm does more than just post hot pics

Sounds yummy! I LOVE cooking like this, I have done it lots of times and sometimes I come up with amazing stuff but never remember it so that I can recreate it. I can't think of anything in particular right now or I'd share it. But I really do enjoy experimenting like this.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

hahah, that's exactly why I started the thread - I thought "how the hell am I ever going to remember this?? I was just grabbing things!"

This would be a great place, if we get some loony experiment right, we could record it for others and ourselves.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I thought you were going to make potato latkes with that list.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
spiritangel
AmandaClause

spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!

oh my its how I mostly cook is how I came up with my chicken fried rice recipee and have a few more pics floating around that I have yet to post of things I love to be a free thinking cook
Old 07-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
Wild Zero
ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn

Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!

I just threw together a badass sauce with
1/2 cup Korean BBQ sauce
1/2 cup chunky chipotle salsa
two pinches of sea salt
and a dollop of Teddie peanut butter

popped it in the microwave long enough to melt the peanut butter, mixed it up and threw it on pasta.

Delicious blend of sweet and heat.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Zero View Post
I just threw together a badass sauce with
1/2 cup Korean BBQ sauce
1/2 cup chunky chipotle salsa
two pinches of sea salt
and a dollop of Teddie peanut butter

popped it in the microwave long enough to melt the peanut butter, mixed it up and threw it on pasta.

Delicious blend of sweet and heat.
sounds terrific!
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

Dammit, I want this thread to work!!! I will not.give.up.yet!

So last night in a moment of desperation I threw together:

1.5 cups of left over white rice
parmesean cheese (dry kind, nothing fancy)
butter
salt/pepper/onion powder
can of peas

It was delish! I was shocked. In fact, it was so good that I'm making it deliberately again tonight, except I only have a can of peas and carrots - hoping they don't throw it off too much.

MOAR PEOPLE MUST DOO THIS!??

ugh.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
supersoup
Nice to meet you beanbag.

supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post
Dammit, I want this thread to work!!! I will not.give.up.yet!

So last night in a moment of desperation I threw together:

1.5 cups of left over white rice
parmesean cheese (dry kind, nothing fancy)
butter
salt/pepper/onion powder
can of peas

It was delish! I was shocked. In fact, it was so good that I'm making it deliberately again tonight, except I only have a can of peas and carrots - hoping they don't throw it off too much.

MOAR PEOPLE MUST DOO THIS!??

ugh.
when i have my own place/pantry, i totally do this, and will post allllll over this thread.

in the past, i have done...

blue box mac n cheese prepared as per the box; mixed in tuna and can of peas; dumped into a baking dish and top with the remnants of a box of cheezits and some butter chunks, baked at 350 til bubbly on top. 20 mins maybe? SO GOOD.

i like to take leftovers from holidays, i.e. taters/turkey/stuffing and mix them all together, cold...scoop it into big balls, and flatten em in a pan with a wee bit of oil. amazing.

oh, and one night my brother and i were hungry, but there wasn't much in the house, so i threw frozen tater tots, a frozen hillshire farms turkey kielbasa that we chunked up, shredded cheese remnants from like 3 different bags, and packet gravy all into a baking dish. i baked it at like 350 for 20 minutes...something like that, and it was soooo good. ha. that sounds gross, but it was great.

potato flakes/instant mashed potatoes, and i make them a little drier/not as loose as they would be if i followed the liquid amounts exactly. then a can of any kind of soup dumped on top a bowl of the 'taters'. again, SO GOOD.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #10
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersoup View Post

blue box mac n cheese prepared as per the box; mixed in tuna and can of peas; dumped into a baking dish and top with the remnants of a box of cheezits and some butter chunks, baked at 350 til bubbly on top. 20 mins maybe? SO GOOD.

You will make me this. And I will rejoice.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:09 PM   #11
supersoup
Nice to meet you beanbag.

supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
done and done!
Old 08-17-2010, 07:45 PM   #12
Esther
Queen Black Acid

Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:

This sounds like something I do! Except I use the white cheddar mac and cheese and mix it with a can of tuna and some peas. I have never done it like a casserole though... sounds like a good idea!

I often clean out my vegetable crisper by making random pasta dishes. As long as I have some kind of noodle and some olive oil, parmesan cheese and garlic, pretty much any veggie can be thrown in. The other day I did mini cheese tortellini with diced zucchini, red onion, some sweet peppers from my garden and some random snap peas I had laying around... and it was actually REALLY good.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #13
Ash
Smash

Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
It is so yum.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #14
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
It is so yum.

Why do you torture me, fattie!? So mean.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:23 PM   #15
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
try also... with the remnants of a bag of crushed sour cream and cheddar potato chips..
Old 08-19-2010, 01:15 AM   #16
succubus_dxb
Badonk. Adonk.

succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

just had a look in the fridge and cupboard.....

frozen veggies
beef sausages
cheese
assorted bits of veggies from this weeks dinners
tzatziki

sooo..... I've decided to make up a home made pizza base and chuck them all on (will cook the sausages out of their casings like ground beef)

If it's not a complete disaster, i'll post pictures
Old 08-19-2010, 06:32 PM   #17
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

A survey of my refrigerator revealed:

*about a cup of soy chicken (you could use real chicken)
*half a can of condensed mushroom soup
*one-fourth of an 8-oz. container of sour cream
*half of one of those tiny cans of chopped green chiles
*and a scallion

I chopped up the scallion and the soy chicken and sauteed them in 2 Tsp of peanut oil. After about five minutes I added the rest of the stuff and mixed it all up. Meanwhile I had brought some water to a boil, so I cooked some pasta (mostaccioli), which I drained and then mixed with everything else. I greased a casserole dish, emptied everything into it, sprinkled grated cheddar over the top, preheated the oven to 350, and baked it for 20 minutes. It turned out to be a keeper.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:07 AM   #18
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

All right. Here's my secret shame, finally made public after all these years.

You take one roll of the 4-rolls-for-a-dollar round biscuits (or at least they used to be) and you put them into a pyrex pie dish. Bake. Then pour on 3/4-1 cup of prepared Marinara (prego, etc.). then add shredded cheddar. Let the last 2 ingredients heat up. Eat by pulling biscuits off one-by-one.

Yes. I know.

Obviously, it would've been better with mozz cheese, but I never had any. This was my go-to college study food, when I was young and desperate. That shit was cheap, and it was filling. I never cooked at home, so I wonder if I even knew there was shredded mozzarella at the store. Maybe I did but I wouldn't have used it for other stuff, so I got a cheap block of cheddar. And yes, I shredded it myself (I mean, it--POOR).

That dish got me through many a night during my undergrad (and grad?) days and afforded me a 4.73 GPA, so it couldn't have been all bad!

And, I think, with mozzarella, it might still be worth 1 more college try!
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:14 AM   #19
succubus_dxb
Badonk. Adonk.

succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

ok, here's my Pantry Pizza- it was f*cking DELICIOUS!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0863.jpg (56.9 KB, 233 views)
Old 08-24-2010, 02:01 AM   #20
littlefairywren
Chi Chi

littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!littlefairywren keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by succubus_dxb View Post
ok, here's my Pantry Pizza- it was f*cking DELICIOUS!
Yum! That looks really good, Bobbie!
Old 08-24-2010, 01:38 PM   #21
Esther
Queen Black Acid

Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
A survey of my refrigerator revealed:

*about a cup of soy chicken (you could use real chicken)
*half a can of condensed mushroom soup
*one-fourth of an 8-oz. container of sour cream
*half of one of those tiny cans of chopped green chiles
*and a scallion

I chopped up the scallion and the soy chicken and sauteed them in 2 Tsp of peanut oil. After about five minutes I added the rest of the stuff and mixed it all up. Meanwhile I had brought some water to a boil, so I cooked some pasta (mostaccioli), which I drained and then mixed with everything else. I greased a casserole dish, emptied everything into it, sprinkled grated cheddar over the top, preheated the oven to 350, and baked it for 20 minutes. It turned out to be a keeper.
I am totally gonna try this (with the soy chicken). I love pretty much any casserole-type meal, and I am always on the lookout for quick vegetarian ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes View Post
All right. Here's my secret shame, finally made public after all these years.

You take one roll of the 4-rolls-for-a-dollar round biscuits (or at least they used to be) and you put them into a pyrex pie dish. Bake. Then pour on 3/4-1 cup of prepared Marinara (prego, etc.). then add shredded cheddar. Let the last 2 ingredients heat up. Eat by pulling biscuits off one-by-one.
This actually sounds amazingly good to me!!!
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:56 PM   #22
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

Yay!! Posts and pictures.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #23
Brenda

Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

One night I had not planned anything for dinner and wanted to avoid ordering out so I threw some things together and ended up with complete deliciousness! I have made it several times since and everyone I have served it to really enjoyed it.

Saute an onion and some garlic in a large skillet. Add one large can of crushed tomatoes and left over white wine (or red). Liberal salt and pepper and throw in about half a bag of frozen artichokes. As the artichokes soften use a wooden spoon to break them into small pieces. When the artichokes are cooked and the wine has reduced throw in some frozen shrimp (you could totally skip the shrimp but it is a nice addition) When the shrimp are done grate in some (okay a lot) of parmesan cheese and a splash of heavy cream. The goal is for it to be saucy not watery so you have to keep in mind that the artichokes will release liquid when adding the wine.

I served this over cheese tortellini because that is what I had but I think it would work with most pasta.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:49 PM   #24
Wild Zero
ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn

Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!

Tonight I had some tortilla chips, shredded cheese and leftover massaman curry w/veggies and sticky rice.

A minute in the microwave later and I was eating Massaman Nachos. They were goddamn amazing.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #25
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

In case you can't figure out what to make with the odds and ends you found in the pantry, help is available here. Type in the foods you want to consider and it will find you a recipe; or you can type in a dish and get a recipe for it. A word of warning, though: it's a British site, so the measurements are all metric; be prepared to convert!
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote