Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 08-31-2010, 09:24 AM   #26
FatAndProud

FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Can I just say I love this thread? I do this ALLLLLL the time....as a college student...ya know...it happens lol

Today I made a fried egg with garlic, pepper, and Mrs. Dash's Spicy seasoning....and topped the fried egg with hot salsa. It was nice. Then I had some crackers with peanut butter. I needed something sweet lol
FatAndProud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:50 AM   #27
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I made a sweet and sour type stir fry like this:

So in my Ma's fridge I found 3 baked thick cut pork chops, 10 baby carrots, half a yellow bell pepper and 4 cups or so of cooked brown rice.

From the pantry I grabbed a can of pineapple chunks,teriyaki sauce,soy sauce, clove of elephant garlic and a giant red onion.

I cut everthing into kinda long strips, and just sat there wondering how to get my pork that pretty red/pink color the Asian Palace always has. Well Catalina dressing work (just a drizzle) worked AWESOME!! I put my pork in a bowl and just tossed it around with the dressing and salt and pepper and some onion powder and right before i threw it in the wok i poured a tiny bit of pineapple juice(sugar makes carmel colors, sometimes) let it sizzle threw in half the garlic clove(sliced paper thin and in sheets). sizzzle. onion and carrots. sizzle. pepper. and then all my sauces went it, plus a half can of pineapples. i let it get bubbly and thick and i put it over the warmed rice.

Today I added a giant can of beef broth to the leftovers, added in 2 cups of the rice, the rest of the pineapples and now i'm gonna have soup. lol
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:37 PM   #28
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post
Dammit, I want this thread to work!!! I will not.give.up.yet!

So last night in a moment of desperation I threw together:

1.5 cups of left over white rice
parmesean cheese (dry kind, nothing fancy)
butter
salt/pepper/onion powder
can of peas

It was delish! I was shocked. In fact, it was so good that I'm making it deliberately again tonight, except I only have a can of peas and carrots - hoping they don't throw it off too much.

MOAR PEOPLE MUST DOO THIS!??

ugh.
This actually sounds really good to me....as in it's uber starchy AND cheesy

My quick creation is usually making the boxed mac n shells (the kind with a pack of cheese....not the powdered stuff) but I boil frozen broccoli and cauliflower in with the pasta and pour the cheese over all of it.
I'm thinking adding small chopped up chunks of ham or even frozen carrot pieces would be good, as well.

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:54 PM   #29
cinnamitch
nope

cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!

Take a can of spam cut it up into cubes, brown in the skillet with some oil, onion and garlic and a couple of potatoes that you cube. When its nice and brown and the potatoes are pretty soft, add a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes, simmer a few minutes , voila a meal thats pretty tasty and not that expensive . You can sprinkle some cheese over it if you have it and just cover it with a lid till the cheese melts
cinnamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:59 AM   #30
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamitch View Post
Take a can of spam cut it up into cubes, brown in the skillet with some oil, onion and garlic and a couple of potatoes that you cube. When its nice and brown and the potatoes are pretty soft, add a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes, simmer a few minutes , voila a meal thats pretty tasty and not that expensive . You can sprinkle some cheese over it if you have it and just cover it with a lid till the cheese melts
Girrrrrl you just took me back a decade! I love some Spam creations!
And this one sounds rather yummy, I'd like it with some velveeta thrown in to cream it up!
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #31
Cynthia

Cynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
A survey of my refrigerator revealed:
I chopped up the scallion and the soy chicken and sauteed them in 2 Tsp of peanut oil. After about five minutes I added the rest of the stuff and mixed it all up. Meanwhile I had brought some water to a boil, so I cooked some pasta (mostaccioli), which I drained and then mixed with everything else. I greased a casserole dish, emptied everything into it, sprinkled grated cheddar over the top, preheated the oven to 350, and baked it for 20 minutes. It turned out to be a keeper.
Mmm, this sounds savory. My head is whispering, "Ooh, artichoke hearts!" so I might try adding that to your ingredients to see what happens.

For everybody ... when I heard The Splendid Table on NPR today, it brought this thread to mind. The host has a really joyful, intuitive way of layering flavors, probably not unlike the way that artists paint. It's very cool to listen to her create as she talks.
Cynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #32
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Tonight: failure.

I was on the right track, but didn't execute it right, and I should have been able to forsee this as I've been cooking forever and I'm not half bad.

I finely chopped a bunch of left over chicken, added breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, pinch of Bell's seasoning, onion powder (was going to mince onion, but I was in the middle of too many things so I quicked out), an egg, half a cup or so of chicken broth, and mixed it all up into a paste, rolled into balls, baked on 350ish for about 25 mins.

TOOOOO DRRYYYYYYY.

I think another egg and more broth would have been the way to go. I knew they were a little dry because the balls were not gooey, but sort of breaking apart a little... so that should have been my clue that I needed more moisture. I could have done a breadcrumb coating as well, and just fried them a bit, but I really wanted to avoid the frying. The oven worked well, but I think with more moisture and perhaps a breadcrumb coating I would have been a lot better off.

Taste wasn't bad (next time real onion), but man.... DRY. Wow.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:22 PM   #33
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia View Post
Mmm, this sounds savory. My head is whispering, "Ooh, artichoke hearts!" so I might try adding that to your ingredients to see what happens.
Artichoke hearts! Inspired! I'll bet some sauteed mushrooms would be good in it, too ...
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #34
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:

I was on the right track, but didn't execute it right, and I should have been able to forsee this as I've been cooking forever and I'm not half bad.

I finely chopped a bunch of left over chicken, added breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, pinch of Bell's seasoning, onion powder (was going to mince onion, but I was in the middle of too many things so I quicked out), an egg, half a cup or so of chicken broth, and mixed it all up into a paste, rolled into balls, baked on 350ish for about 25 mins.

TOOOOO DRRYYYYYYY.

I think another egg and more broth would have been the way to go. I knew they were a little dry because the balls were not gooey, but sort of breaking apart a little... so that should have been my clue that I needed more moisture. I could have done a breadcrumb coating as well, and just fried them a bit, but I really wanted to avoid the frying. The oven worked well, but I think with more moisture and perhaps a breadcrumb coating I would have been a lot better off.

Yeah, 2 egg whites, a little milk, and a breadcrumb coating. Makes me want to try it first, tho.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #35
Wild Zero
ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn

Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!

Lemon Bars

I had some Lemon Bar mix and was like "f' that noise" when I saw it was just some eggs and water in the mix. Threw in a half stick of butter, two scoops of buttercream frosting and a cup of cream.

My girlfriend had a slice and reported it wasn't so much a lemon bar as a lemon custard pie.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:40 AM   #36
supersoup
Nice to meet you beanbag.

supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:

TOOOOO DRRYYYYYYY.

this is along the lines of something i do with leftover thanksgiving crap. we are stovetop fans, as opposed to homemade in my family, so it's always on the dry side the next day. i finely chop up turkey, add in the stuffing, some spices, an egg, bit of mayo, aaaaaaaaand...some of the leftover gravy. they come out so delicious. also, this works really well with the jar gravy that's low sodium, it's my favorite way to do it, and better for mah beans. i only throw in enough mayo to make em gooey, maybe a couple of tablespoons. this actually started out as a fake meatloaf, but i prefer them as the meatballs.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #37
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Pancakes!

I got a request the other day for my pancake recipe. I can't find it anywhere on the forum.. that doesn't mean it isn't there.. I'm just a 'orrible seacher.

Anyway, i've never used a recipe, its just what I had on hand (8 ingredients), and it worked, and became the standard.

Beat 1 egg in a medium mixing bowl, add 2 cups milk, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Stir until mixed, then add 2 cups flour, 2-3 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon baking powder, and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir until blended, it will be lumpy.

Add more flour if too thin, add more milk if too thick. If you have 8 cups of batter, STOP!!!
Old 09-27-2010, 10:01 PM   #38
Your Plump Princess
Just dancing with shadows

Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!

I recall the other night we were really low on food and I looked into our pantry cupboard to find some canned chicken, broth, and vegetables. Mixed with some Egg-Noodles, and Bam! Stock-Pot full of delicious Soup!

When I Remember how exactly I turned it into soup, I'll type it all up.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:03 PM   #39
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Plump Princess View Post
When I Remember how exactly I turned it into soup, I'll type it all up.
Help! I'm all out of rep!
Old 09-27-2010, 10:08 PM   #40
Your Plump Princess
Just dancing with shadows

Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Help! I'm all out of rep!
GASP!

ImREPotence strikes again!
Old 09-27-2010, 11:58 PM   #41
JerseyGirl07093
Stick a fork in me

JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Peppers and onions in tomato sauce with sticky rice

I thought of this thread tonight when I was making dinner. I was making pork chops and needed something to go with them. I sauteed some onions and peppers in olive oil. When they were done I removed them from the pan. I had originally intended to put them back over the pork chops but I changed my plans. I then cooked the pork chops in the pan and since I put some spices on the chops that I thought might not taste as good with the peppers and onions I decided to make the pepper onion combo into a new side dish. When the pork chops were done I set them aside and put the peppers and onions back in the pan and poured two little cans of tomato sauce over them. Then I added some leftover sticky rice that I had. I put the lid on the saucepan and let it all heat up so it would get hot and I could break up the rice and mix it in. It came out pretty good. It was sort of Italian but also reminded me of Spanish rice. It was a good side dish. Maybe next time I'd add some more spices but that's about it.

You're your own standard of beauty. There's no one else in the world who looks like you, so how can you compare yourself to anyone else? - Stacy London
JerseyGirl07093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:00 AM   #42
SuperSizedAngie
Hug-Seeking Missile

SuperSizedAngie is a member of the 500 clubSuperSizedAngie is a member of the 500 clubSuperSizedAngie is a member of the 500 clubSuperSizedAngie is a member of the 500 clubSuperSizedAngie is a member of the 500 clubSuperSizedAngie is a member of the 500 club

Yesterday I was starving, but only had a few random things in the pantry. So I decided to put on my chef hat and see what I could come up with.

I took a can of tomato soup, some heavy cream, some grated colby jack cheese, paprika, black pepper, and some canned chicken breast chunks.

I heated the tomato soup until it was very hot, put the chicken breast chunks in there (they were pre-cooked, so I just heated them up completely), stirred in some cream until it was very tasty and mellow. I added in paprika and some black pepper for a little bit of kick and microwaved it some more. Pulled it out, stirred it up, added in some cheese, stirred again, layered a lot of cheese over the top, and then microwaved it until the top cheese layer was completely melted.

Mmmmmmmmmmm. It was so good. Way better than I'd been expecting.
SuperSizedAngie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:09 PM   #43
Tooz
sweet chocolate christ

Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:

TOOOOO DRRYYYYYYY.

Also try a 9 x 13" pan with water in it on the rack below to keep the cooking environs more humid.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #44
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooz View Post
Also try a 9 x 13" pan with water in it on the rack below to keep the cooking environs more humid.

Oh yeah, good tip! If I attempt these again, I'll be trying all the tricks... I'll probably end up with the wettest balls on the planet.

I... eh... whatever, I'm leaving it.