Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board

Old 10-24-2005, 11:05 PM   #1
gangstadawg
the wanderer

gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default (OT) sorry to say this but rosa parks has died at the age of 92.

i know some of you know already know the news. any ways she died of natural causes.
gangstadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 11:30 PM   #2
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Saw this in my news pager this morning and felt a bit sad. I can't be too sorry. I mean, of course it's sad to see her go, but at the same time, she lived a good, long life, and her life also stood for something. How many people can say that? She actually made a difference. She lived her life with dignity and her memory will live on. Quite a legacy.

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:23 AM   #3
Coop
Proud owner of Megas

Coop can now change their title

I read that on the paper too. She will be missed.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:11 AM   #4
ataraxia

ataraxia carries a lot of weight on this boardataraxia carries a lot of weight on this boardataraxia carries a lot of weight on this boardataraxia carries a lot of weight on this boardataraxia carries a lot of weight on this board

She was an important figure. I didn't even realize she had been around this long!

Can this thread go to the main board? That seems the place for OT stuff that we want to talk about anyway - not the weight board.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:20 AM   #5
Emma
On Timeout

Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!

Who? I've never heard of her.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:29 AM   #6
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default american notable

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurvyEm
Who? I've never heard of her.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_Parks
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:31 AM   #7
Littleghost
Oh, Frickenstein.

Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

She was a key figure in the American civil rights movement. She refused to give up her seat in the front of a bus to a white passenger. (Back then, black people could only sit in the back.) I guess you Brits never had much of a problem with civil rights as slavery was outlawed from the start there?
Hoping racism will die soon,
--Littleghost
Littleghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:33 AM   #8
Emma
On Timeout

Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!

Oh right.

Heh most people I know are racist.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:53 AM   #9
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleghost
She was a key figure in the American civil rights movement. She refused to give up her seat in the front of a bus to a white passenger. (Back then, black people could only sit in the back.) I guess you Brits never had much of a problem with civil rights as slavery was outlawed from the start there?
--Littleghost

Actually, she WAS in the back of the bus, the colored section. She refused to give up her seat to a white guy who couldn't find an available seat in the front of the bus. That's one fact I never knew about her! But I do believe that she was chosen by the NAACP to get that ball rolling (again), as opposed to acting wholly on her own. Fascinating story, either way.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:41 PM   #10
CurvaceousBBWLover
Primordial

CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

This is very tragic news. Rosa Parks inspired 2 generations (Depression children and baby boomers) to rise up against racial oppression and stand for justice.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:41 PM   #11
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Wonderful article about Ms. Parks Here.

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Old 10-25-2005, 10:00 PM   #12
Totmacher

Totmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going on
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleghost
--Littleghost

What are you talking about? Britian ran (read, "had a monopoly on") the slave trade from the mid seventeenth century when Portugal lost its influence (~1640) until they outlawed it in 1807!
Totmacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:33 PM   #13
MistahSmooth_CT
Senior High 5'er

MistahSmooth_CT can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesMistahSmooth_CT can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Next to Dr. King, she was the purest example of Civil Disobedience for a more righteous purpose.. May God Bless her
MistahSmooth_CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:49 PM   #14
Ned Sonntag
Outermost Hoodoo Doctor

Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Bizarre Parks Reference in Popular Sunday Supplement

http://archive.parade.com/2004/1003/...ots_irish.html For decades I'd had my eye on the hidden far-right agenda of PARADE Magazine, with its wildly disinformative articles about the efficacy of dieting , as a tip-off... scroll halfway down... shortly after 9-11 they whipped up this whopper about Parks' bus-seat resistance being due to her Scots-Irish DNA component ...
Ned Sonntag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:23 AM   #15
Jes
is oddly aroused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Sonntag
http://archive.parade.com/2004/1003/...ots_irish.html For decades I'd had my eye on the hidden far-right agenda of PARADE Magazine,

Hidden? That thing reads like a bad episode of 7th Heaven

(which, admittedly, I've never watched, but you get my point)
Old 10-26-2005, 10:56 AM   #16
BBWMoon
Kisses

BBWMoon is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBBWMoon is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBBWMoon is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBBWMoon is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBBWMoon is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBBWMoon is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBBWMoon is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBBWMoon is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBBWMoon is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBBWMoon is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBBWMoon is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes

Interesting link!

I didn't know that the bus in which she rode is in a Museum in Michigan.

I also read that she was robbed and battered over ten years ago in her Detroit home. How awful.

Rosa Parks led an incredible legacy.
BBWMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 11:11 AM   #17
Webmaster
Chief Emeritus

Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangstadawg
i know some of you know already know the news. any ways she died of natural causes.
Yes, I saw that. She lived a long, valuable life. It still saddens and baffles me that the United States carries such a shameful thing as segregation and racism in its history, and one that in some respects continues on today. Then again, we are the nation that has never had a female president, finds the very notion of one shocking and worthy of much debate while pretty much all other civilized countries have had female leaders. We're also the nation with shockingly naive moral double standards, and other hapless incongruencies ill-becoming of a "superpower." We are at the same time incredibly advanced and openminded, and hideously backwards and childish.
Webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 04:32 PM   #18
Littleghost
Oh, Frickenstein.

Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

First of all, calm down. I'm fully aware that Britain ran a massive slave trading "industry" (or whatever it would be called). And although they technically outlawed in slavery 1807, they didn't practice it in the UK since the middle ages. Meaning that it happened in their colonies, not their homeland. So they never really had much reason for a civil rights problem with stemming from slavery.
Seems to get largely ignored or stirs up trouble whenever he posts,
--Littleghost
Littleghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:07 PM   #19
Totmacher

Totmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going on
Lightbulb

I'm sorry if I upset you before, but it really sounded like you'd washed the entire british nation's hands of the matter and I figured that was as good a point as any to start ranting. You're right that British racism has its roots in other places than triangle trade slavery, but the timing and quantity of the pertinent legislation in the British Isles does point to certian simularities with the Americas. I wish I'd taken European history.

There were no plantations on the island, but a fair number of slaves. Slavery was legal in Great Britain until 1768 when any mention of the practice at all finally made its way into the law books freeing every slave anyone brought home after a trip out west. All 10-20,000 or so of them. Considering British slave merchants managed to keep in business for another forty years it does seem they knew where their bread was buttered, didn't it?

Enough with the pontification. Rosa Parks was a great woman, had a great life, and I'm sure she's somewhere good now.
Totmacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 07:42 PM   #20
Tina
Older and wiser now

I agree, Conrad. But it seems to never really go away. Look at the internment camps in WWII, and the current day racial profiling of those of Middle Eastern descent. And that's not even including ongoing descrimination against blacks and hispanics. We never seem to learn, really. Well, maybe a little. It's at least heartening that some kind of cry went up at the post-911 profiling, which is a change from the deafening silence during the removal of Japanese to the camps during WWII. Fear really screws things up, because so often the reaction is knee-jerk.