Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 07-21-2010, 09:24 AM   #1
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Are you a supertaster?

Picky eaters of the world, unite! Scientists have determined that many people are picky because they taste food more intensely than most folks. Dubbed 'supertasters', they have more taste buds per square inch on their tongues than ordinary people do, and this results in their having an entirely different outlook on eating. Are you a supertaster (I am)? Take this test and find out!
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
Oirish
The Dude

Oirish knows EXACTLY what's going onOirish knows EXACTLY what's going onOirish knows EXACTLY what's going onOirish knows EXACTLY what's going onOirish knows EXACTLY what's going onOirish knows EXACTLY what's going onOirish knows EXACTLY what's going on

Yes, I am. I've taken teats in biology classes to confirm this and have a particular sensitivity to a few specific aromas generally recognized as faults with wine. It's definitely helped in my line of work but makes me damn picky about my food and wine.
Oirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
The Orange Mage
♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓

The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!

I am a definite supertaster, which explains my previous occupation as a "picky eater" as a child.
The Orange Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
JeanC
Fat chick with a gun

JeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this board

I'm a normal taster according to the test. Sounds about right to me.
JeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Very Interesting!

I fall somewhere in between a normal and supertaster, which sounds just about right to me. I'm a little relieved because I seem to be getting a bit more picky as I get older; I was a little worried I was becoming a snob!
Old 07-21-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Apparently, I'm not.

I'll eat most anything that doesn't eat me first.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
sugar and spice

sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'm a supertaster, and I kind of expected to be because I have strong likes and dislikes and have always been hesitant to try different foods if they don't look good to me.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:59 AM   #8
The Orange Mage
♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓

The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'm kinda irked that I will probably never learn to like the taste of coffee. It smells so damn good.

Does being a supertaster make one a supersmeller, too? I'm the only person I know who can distinctly smell boiling pasta from across the house two stories up.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #9
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I kinda figured I was a supertaster, as I can tell the difference between waters. [Thank goodness for filters!] I like complex foods such as Indian sauces, but I also adore simple ones that others would consider bland or boring.

The one thing that probably affects me as much as tasting, though, is that I have serious texture issues. Lots of foods I love the taste, so long as they're presented in an alternative manner that don't trigger that texture thing. Anyone doing studies on that?
Old 07-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #10
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Tooth View Post
The one thing that probably affects me as much as tasting, though, is that I have serious texture issues. Lots of foods I love the taste, so long as they're presented in an alternative manner that don't trigger that texture thing. Anyone doing studies on that?
Can you give an example? What textures do you dislike? Or does it depend on the particular food in question? I, personally, cannot stand soggy bread.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #11
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
Can you give an example? What textures do you dislike? Or does it depend on the particular food in question? I, personally, cannot stand soggy bread.
Well, I love a lot of fruits and berries, but if they have a skin [ie a grape because biting it reminds me of squishing a big juicy bug], the whole thing skeeves me out. Now, chop or puree that fruit, and I'm good. I have no problem with the taste of celery, but I pick it out of my soups. Go figure. <shrugs>

I know that part of this preference is a tooth and tongue sensation issue, and some things I have problems chewing because my teeth don't line up properly so I prefer to eat them in ways I can bite/chew better.

Besides, don't we all know people, for example, who can barely even touch a wooden utensil let alone eat with it? If I didn't love popsicles so much, I think I'd be one of them!
Old 07-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #12
BigBeautifulMe
That was a heart.

BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I have known for several years that I am one. It's cool sometimes, but like OrangeMage I hate that I will never be able to drink coffee. I also find most alcohol to be way too bitter. If you do some more research, you'll find fuller lists of foods supertasters don't like. With very few exceptions, these read like my own personal lists of food I hate.

"I just think your culinary choices could use more death of sentient creatures. Is that so wrong?" - Mini

-Rosebud- I am imagining how lovely it would be to see your golden hair rising up over my belly when you are between my thighs
-Rosebud- Like a cunnilingus sunrise
BigBeautifulMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:51 AM   #13
The Orange Mage
♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓

Oh yeah most alcoholic beverages (aside from beer and some wines) are out of the question for me. I can do spiced rum just fine though.

And oh god anything with tequila in it is just *barf*.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:24 PM   #14
LovelyLiz

LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!

They Might Be Giants actually has a song about this, called John Lee Supertaster!

Here's a performance on youtube...
LovelyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:52 PM   #15
Esther
Queen Black Acid

Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I am a very picky eater. I stopped eating red meat because a lot of it smells and tastes like blood to me (the iron specifically). Certain cereals taste like metal on my palate as well. I am also very bothered by the taste of certain food colourings which most of my friends and family don't seem to notice (I can't be the only person to think that pink/red/purple food colouring tastes like shit?). I don't know if I'm actually a supertaster like this quiz says though, as I only seem to be sensitive to certain things.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #16
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm surprised to find that I'm a supertaster because I'm not a picky eater.
I DO have strong likes and dislikes but will be the first to try anything new and I want to try everything.
Aromas and textures absolutely do play a part in what I like, as well as to some degree the color and appearance of the meal.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:23 PM   #17
Paquito
don't July to me

Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!

I will definitely use this instead of telling everyone that I'm a picky eater.

I always noticed that I detected certain things that no one else tasted, but I thought I was just batshit crazy.
Paquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:29 AM   #18
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paquito View Post
I always noticed that I detected certain things that no one else tasted, but I thought I was just batshit crazy.
As my wife frequently reminds me, the two are not mutually exclusive.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:20 AM   #19
agnieszka

agnieszka can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesagnieszka can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I find it at least odd- answering few web based questions is to determine if I am a supertaster or not (I guess I am disappointed as I was expecting coffee or watermelon aroma coming out of my pc )
agnieszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:24 PM   #20
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Tooth View Post
I kinda figured I was a supertaster, as I can tell the difference between waters. [Thank goodness for filters!] I like complex foods such as Indian sauces, but I also adore simple ones that others would consider bland or boring.

I'm a super taster too and I'm also really picky about texture. If the taste is right, but the texture is off it ruins the dish for me, and vice versa. Everything just has to be right. Strangely tho, presentation isn't as important to me.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #21
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeautifulMe View Post
I have known for several years that I am one. It's cool sometimes, but like OrangeMage I hate that I will never be able to drink coffee. I also find most alcohol to be way too bitter. If you do some more research, you'll find fuller lists of foods supertasters don't like. With very few exceptions, these read like my own personal lists of food I hate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange Mage View Post
Oh yeah most alcoholic beverages (aside from beer and some wines) are out of the question for me. I can do spiced rum just fine though.

And oh god anything with tequila in it is just *barf*.
I also hate bitter tastes. I like coffee and drink it almost everyday, but I can't drink it black. I can drink it iced without sugar, but need milk to cut the bitterness. The bitter is the same reason I tend to prefer lager over ale since lager is less bitter. Even better is hard cider, which also doesn't upset my stomach as much as beer or other types of alcohol does.

I recently discovered that a lot of hard liquors like gin and vodka are made with grains instead of berries and potatoes. I got a bottle of vodka that is made with just potatoes and the taste and texture were quite different, which surprised me. Plus my stomach was happy about that.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #22
BigBeautifulMe
That was a heart.

BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I can't even do iced coffee that's 90% milk and 10% coffee. lol. Still blech. But I love the smell off coffee!

"I just think your culinary choices could use more death of sentient creatures. Is that so wrong?" - Mini

-Rosebud- I am imagining how lovely it would be to see your golden hair rising up over my belly when you are between my thighs
Old 07-24-2010, 12:52 PM   #23
olwen
Disco Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeautifulMe View Post
I can't even do iced coffee that's 90% milk and 10% coffee. lol. Still blech. But I love the smell off coffee!
There are actually times for me where if the smell is overpowering it makes me want to retch. Different blends/regions taste different tho...what about a sweeter blend with a mild flavor? What about instant coffee? Does any of that matter?
Old 07-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #24
BigBeautifulMe
That was a heart.

I can't be sure because I haven't sat down and tasted 100 different kinds, but I've had it in, like, very sweet frozen concotions and not liked it, and I've had office coffee that's just a splash of coffee and almost all millk and sugar and not liked it... I'd be willing to try it in other variations and see what happens.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:04 PM   #25
olwen
Disco Bear

It might be worth it to go to a coffee place and get a quarter pound of some latin american blend or anything called "breakfast blend," as those tend to be mild, and you can use honey or agave syrup to sweeten it instead of sugar, and maybe add some vanilla. All of those will change the taste. Don't try chocolate tho since that will bring out the coffee flavor more.