Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 07-28-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
theladypoet
I am my own non-sequitur

theladypoet has super-sized reptheladypoet has super-sized reptheladypoet has super-sized reptheladypoet has super-sized rep
Default What's your favourite "regional" food?

By regional I mean something you're unlikely to be able to order outside of a certain area, or that if you do order is probably different from what you expect.

For example, Alberta-style ginger beef. If you order ginger beef in a Chinese Restaurant anywhere in Alberta, what you're going to be eating is crunchy strips of marinated beef (often deep fried twice to make it extra crunchy) topped with a dark, sticky, sweet and spicy sauce, sometimes with julienned carrots and onions thrown in for good measure. That's just what ginger beef is here. In other parts of Canada it's hit or miss when it comes to ginger beef: some places serve it "Alberta style", some places don't.

So what's your favourite?
Old 07-28-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

I was born and raised in New Jersey but migrated down to SW Florida ten years ago.

I would say that my favorite regional food for this area is boiled peanuts. I had never heard of them or had them until we moved here.

They are quite delicious. You get a pick cup of them, with some of the hot liquid they have been cooked in which keeps them quite warm. You just pick them out of the shell. They are soft and taste like the spices they have been cooked with. And since peanuts are actually a bean, and not a nut, they lend well to this cooking method.
D_A_Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Everybody makes baked beans, but Boston baked beans are special. I like Indian pudding, too, which doesn't seem to feature on the menu anywhere else.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
cinnamitch
nope

cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!

From my home state of Texas- BBQ and Blue Bell Ice cream.

From Minnesota- Fried Walleye. Such a great fish. Mild and Flaky.
cinnamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:41 PM   #5
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

In Texas, where I was raised in the 70s, All burgers (Whataburger, Sonic, Burger King, etc) were mustard only by default. The Drive-In menu at BK would even specify MUSTARD WHOPPER. If you didn't want mustard, and wanted the "Outside of Texas" standard of Mayo and Ketchup, you had to ask for it. I didn't know this until I left Texas, when I would order a #1, and my mustard was missing.
Still, to this day, I like to pull into a sonic and get a sonicburger with mustard, onion and pickle. Good Times.

Last edited by Fuzzy; 07-28-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
jcas50
Liberal Scum

jcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot pics

Here in New England, I like what we call Lobster Rolls. The right way is a split on top hot dog roll, with a quarter pound of warm lobster meat and drenched in melted butter. Pure bliss.

I've also mentioned before some other CT favorites: Steamed Cheeseburgers, where it is more melted cheese than meat; Rhode Island Clam Chowder - broth based, no cream; White Clam Pizza; White Birch Beer; Chow Mein Sandwiches; Coffee milk...
Old 07-29-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
vardon_grip
Consistently smarmy

vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!

The chicken katsu plate at Grace's Inn on Oahu (in general: plate lunches in Hawaii)

Katsu on a bed of chow fun, two scoops of rice, macaroni salad and kimchee.

Carboverloaded comfort food.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:52 PM   #8
The Orange Mage
♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓

The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!

I love me some Cajun food, but I'm up here in Ohio.
The Orange Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #9
Esther
Queen Black Acid

Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I grew up in a big family, so we always ordered the largest pizzas available... in this area, that would be the rectangular "party tray" pizza. I didn't realize this was a regional thing until I started traveling a bit more! Apparently most other places just serve XL round pizzas.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #10
CrankySpice
Unwashed.

CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

From where I grew up in NJ: Pork Roll.

In Maine: Needhams (chocolate covered potato & coconut candy) and lobster.
CrankySpice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #11
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankySpice View Post
From where I grew up in NJ: Pork Roll.

In Maine: Needhams (chocolate covered potato & coconut candy) and lobster.
Yes yes yes to the Pork Roll. Especially if it is served on a hard roll. Which is also a NJ delicacy apparently. Haven't found one elsewhere.
D_A_Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:13 AM   #12
annabellethecat

annabellethecat can now change their title

Here in Fresno, California, "beerocks". They are rolls stuffed with hamburger, cabbage, and onion. Yummy.
annabellethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:57 AM   #13
spiritangel
AmandaClause

spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!

IKU Macrobiotic Wholefood vegan and omg the best rice balls sooo nice In glebe, neutral bay and somewhere else oh and the best tofu burger on sourdough has a dressing that is way better than ceaser

and the vegetarian spring rolls at glebe markets never had anything like themanywhere else they have the ricenoodles in them
Old 07-31-2010, 07:07 AM   #14
goofy girl
took a sharp left turn

goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Very fun thread!

I'm also from New England:

Clam cakes. Yummmmmmmm.

It's basically a fried ball of dough (like a very small fritter) with clams in it. So delicious. (So good I even served them at my wedding )

OH and stuffies, too. It's stuffing with delicious spices and chopped clams served in a big quahog shell. Most delicious with lots of melted butter and the green tabasco sauce over the top. Man, I need to go get some of this deliciousness soon!
Old 07-31-2010, 07:51 AM   #15
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

In Utah - Its Fry Sauce.

Yeah. Mix some mayo and ketchup together. Every burger joint, cafe, and diner in the state has their own concoction of the stuff. Dixie Grill, in Brigham City, puts tabasco in theirs to add kick. Other places add stuff like pickle juice to try and set theirs apart. Or drop ketchup, use hickory bbq instead.

Sure, there is ketchup available (no cheese curds and gravy.. sorry). That's how my co-workers know I'm not from around here. I personally prefer to have ketchup with my fries/onion rings.

Asked many many times, if they had fry sauce, McDonalds finally relented, and now offer fry sauce in their local restaurants, in packs similar to the Hot Mustard used for nuggets. In-n-Out claimed to the press that they won't fall for that kind of pressure, although its just as easy to order "special sauce" on the side.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:18 AM   #16
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I grew up in East Tennessee. So it would be:

- Salt cured country ham
- Pork sausage
- Pinto beans served over corn bread with onions
- Apple dumplings
- Mush (a gruel made by boiling corn meal in water - NOT like grits)
- Southern fried chicken (a pullet, caught out of the yard on Sunday morning about an hour before dinner)
- A little shine to wash it down with

This ain't haute cuisine, but it'll do.

-Jim
Old 07-31-2010, 10:11 PM   #17
BBW_Blondie

BBW_Blondie can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesBBW_Blondie can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I'm from Texas so green sauce (salsa verde) made from avocados and tomatillos not tomatoes...its commonly served as a dip along side of tomato based salsa at Tex-Mex places in the Houston/Austin area. Ohhh and you can't forget Chicken Fried Steaks with mashed potatoes and gravy! The food of Gods!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg salsa-verde-2.jpg (15.1 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg chicken-fried-steak.jpg (22.2 KB, 151 views)
Old 08-01-2010, 08:48 AM   #18
Carrie

Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

This is kind of sad, but I've lived in Maryland for over ten years and still haven't found a "regional" food that really speaks to me. I'm not a big crab fan, so that leaves me out of luck there. I grew up in Rhode Island and lived in Massachusetts for several years, too, and I still consider that general area home. So, like Bridget said, clamcakes! I have never seen them anywhere but Rhode Island. And white/milk-based clam chowder, of course (the best is from Legal Seafood). And every summer I miss clambakes and Del's lemonade and Awful-Awfuls from Newport Creamery. And pizza! I totally took good pizza for granted until I moved away. My town where I grew up had a Greek pizzeria and an Italian one, both of which were amazing. I seriously have not had GREAT pizza from a pizzeria since moving away from New England (that's not to say it doesn't exist, just that I haven't encountered it!).

I'm headed up north for a trip in October and I'm going to eat a lot of clamcakes. And Sweenor's chocolates!

Last edited by Carrie; 08-01-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:49 AM   #19
Carrie

Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBW_Blondie View Post
Ohhh and you can't forget Chicken Fried Steaks with mashed potatoes and gravy! The food of Gods!!!
There is not much I wouldn't do for chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and gravy. YUM.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:35 AM   #20
The Orange Mage
♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓

The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
In Utah - Its Fry Sauce.

Yeah. Mix some mayo and ketchup together. Every burger joint, cafe, and diner in the state has their own concoction of the stuff. Dixie Grill, in Brigham City, puts tabasco in theirs to add kick. Other places add stuff like pickle juice to try and set theirs apart. Or drop ketchup, use hickory bbq instead.

Sure, there is ketchup available (no cheese curds and gravy.. sorry). That's how my co-workers know I'm not from around here. I personally prefer to have ketchup with my fries/onion rings.

Asked many many times, if they had fry sauce, McDonalds finally relented, and now offer fry sauce in their local restaurants, in packs similar to the Hot Mustard used for nuggets. In-n-Out claimed to the press that they won't fall for that kind of pressure, although its just as easy to order "special sauce" on the side.
I've been doing this for half my life! However, I do it like this: 2 parts mayo, 2 parts mustard, 1 part ketchup, since I like a little more kick to it.
The Orange Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:28 AM   #21
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

I spent a wee bit of my life in far east Texas, where its the fringe of cajun bayou country. I was able to enjoy <name of seafood> etoufee, frog legs, <name of cooking method> catfish, red beans and rice, gumbo.. and yet still have some Texas styles like chili, bbq brisket.. and the usual southern influence of everything with gravy.

ETA: And grits.. can't forget grits.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #22
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post

ETA: And grits.. can't forget grits.
Especially garlic cheese grits (observes a moment of silence in honor of them).
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:26 PM   #23
Carrie

I have to add one! I just had some mint chocolate chip ice cream, and it reminded me of Newport Creamery's peppermint stick flavor ice cream. Bright pink peppermint flavor base, with bits of pink/green/white peppermint stick candy. The candy bits melt into the ice cream as it warms, and leave beautiful little stripes of lime green and hot pink in the lighter pink ice cream. Delicious and refreshing, especially in the summer, and pretty to look at, too.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #24
Ash
Smash

Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this in every thread like this ever, but my absolute favorite regional food is the fried pork tenderloin sandwich from my home state of Indiana. I've heard that you can find them in Iowa sometimes, too, but I still think of this as a Hoosier food. We even had them for school lunches. Basically it's pork loin pounded thin, breaded and fried. It's served with various toppings, but the most common is shredded cabbage and slaw sauce (not previously mixed so the cabbage stays crisp). So yum.

Couldn't find a picture of one with cabbage, but this picture makes me drool (hold the tomato, pls).

HomeHangover.jpg
Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #25
goofy girl
took a sharp left turn

goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie View Post
I have to add one! I just had some mint chocolate chip ice cream, and it reminded me of Newport Creamery's peppermint stick flavor ice cream. Bright pink peppermint flavor base, with bits of pink/green/white peppermint stick candy. The candy bits melt into the ice cream as it warms, and leave beautiful little stripes of lime green and hot pink in the lighter pink ice cream. Delicious and refreshing, especially in the summer, and pretty to look at, too.
OMG yes!! Do they even still make that flavor!?! I need to get my shoes on and go right now! lol