Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 07-29-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default the squirrelly thread

Our brethren in the UK imported some American gray squirrels a few years ago, and the little fellows are doing so well that they are threatening the local population of red squirrels. One method of dealing with squirrel overpopulation is to eat them, but many Brits are squeamish about this. Here in America, squirrel dinners are somewhat more traditional (I remember eating it fried like chicken when I was a child: it was very tasty). Have you eaten squirrel? Did you like it? Would you recommend it to our British dimmers?
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
Dibaby35
Chicken n' Dumplings

Dibaby35 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesDibaby35 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesDibaby35 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I think this is really only a southern thing in America. Noone I know of or have ever seen squirrel being eaten. Kind of an old wise tale (tail loll) I believe. I could be wrong though. I would never eat a squirrel.
Dibaby35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
JeanC
Fat chick with a gun

JeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this board

Squirrel as food used to be fairly common until probably around WWII in the States, and not just in the South. Annie Oakley, growing up in Ohio got to be such a great shot popping squirrels to feed her family (she would shoot their heads off so as to not waste the meat). I've know older folk who lived in the North who used to have squirrel on the dinner table during the Depression years.

Squirrel is plentiful, so much so a lot of states just have open season on them. Part of the problem tho is most of their habitat is polluted (esp around cities) that I wouldn't want to eat one for fear of toxic chemical poisoning.

I would love to try it sometime if I can get a few from a fairly pristine area.
JeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

The only time I've ever even heard of eating squirrels was on The Beverly Hillbillies. Or was that possum?? lol

I wish someone would come and hunt them on my property and free me of those annoying (but admittedly adorable) creatures.
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
goofy girl
took a sharp left turn

goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!

I totally thought this thread was going to be a joke.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #6
Smushygirl
Filthy Fat Slut

Smushygirl keeps pushing the rep limit!Smushygirl keeps pushing the rep limit!Smushygirl keeps pushing the rep limit!Smushygirl keeps pushing the rep limit!Smushygirl keeps pushing the rep limit!Smushygirl keeps pushing the rep limit!Smushygirl keeps pushing the rep limit!Smushygirl keeps pushing the rep limit!Smushygirl keeps pushing the rep limit!Smushygirl keeps pushing the rep limit!Smushygirl keeps pushing the rep limit!

I've never eaten it, but in the words of my cousin Herb from Georgia, "Squirrel is good eatin'".
Old 07-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #7
Esther
Queen Black Acid

Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Americans eat squirrels?!! We certainly don't eat them here in Canada... I wasn't aware that anyone in North America did, to be honest. I don't think I'd try it either...
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:26 AM   #8
goofy girl
took a sharp left turn

goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!

It makes me think of the movie The Cole Miner's Daughter. Loretta Lynn (Sissy Spacek) is telling someone how much she "loves shkwurl meat! Donchoo love shkwurl meat?" I love that movie
Old 07-30-2010, 06:36 AM   #9
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibaby35 View Post
Kind of an old wise tale (tail loll) I believe.
Old WIVES' tale, baby. Not wise.

My friend's grandfather, in Montana, ate squirrels. ANd, he'd trap stray cats and eat them too, apparently. Working class, and certainly 'lower' working class, though I may have just coined that term, people will and do eat things that others may not. It's a luxury to get to eat high on the hog.
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:58 AM   #10
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smushygirl View Post
I've never eaten it, but in the words of my cousin Herb from Georgia, "Squirrel is good eatin'".
Yes it is. Brunswick stew was originally made from squirrel, not chicken.

Can I interject a brief story here? (Thanks, I knew you wouldn't mind. )

My grandparents lived on a farm in Tennessee; my uncle, aunt, and cousins lived in a small town nearby. They had a pet squirrel named 'Frisky', who they all dearly loved, but Frisky started biting and they turned him loose into the woods behind my grandparents house. Frisky was recognizable because the end of his tail was missing.

I visited my grandparents every summer and frequently went squirrel hunting in those woods. One morning, I return with several squirrels, including Frisky. Grandma was horrified, but promised to keep it a secret. I cleaned them and my grandma fried them up for lunch.

Everything would have been OK, EXCEPT one of my cousins stopped by for lunch and we had no choice but to let him eat Frisky.

My grandma, being the biggest gossip in East Tennessee, didn't keep her promise. I was in very deep shit with that branch for the family for years.

- Jim
Old 08-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #11
Dibaby35
Chicken n' Dumplings

Dibaby35 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesDibaby35 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesDibaby35 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes View Post
Old WIVES' tale, baby. Not wise.

My friend's grandfather, in Montana, ate squirrels. ANd, he'd trap stray cats and eat them too, apparently. Working class, and certainly 'lower' working class, though I may have just coined that term, people will and do eat things that others may not. It's a luxury to get to eat high on the hog.
Oops thanks for the correction wise Jes

although old wise sounds better..lol

Anyways I guess if I were desperate enough I'd eat it..*shrugs*
Dibaby35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #12
truebebeblue
Balls,I kicks em.

truebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Ive never eaten squirrel But i grew up in the south and it is NOT uncommon.
Squirrel,possum and snake every once in awhile are eaten...
Funny how perception colors things as edible or not... I mean..WHY is a cow or pig better to eat than a squirrel or dog?People eat rabbit too... a rodent... Pigs are smarter than dogs I believe ? Pondering aloud here...
I am surprised that the English are feeling squeamish about squirrel meat... They eat BLOOD and every organ meat possible from cows and pigs...

But then I wont come near squirrel or frogs legs either..weird how our brains work.
truebebeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #13
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I've never had it but people do make stew with it here. Pennsylvania mountain food. The squirrels here are as big and fat as puppies and live on a healthy diet of acorns (at least on my property which has at least 30 oak trees.)

Living in the city, I could never imagine eating the scrawny city park squirrels that resembled rats with fancy tails rather than the bruisers here that are so chubby they wobble when they walk.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #14
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Squirrel and Rabbit are interchangable, though you'll see more rabbit recipes than squirrel.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #15
dcoyote

dcoyote can now change their title

I live in rural West Virginia. (Really the vast majority of the state is rural.) Eating squirrel is not uncommon around here. I haven't eaten it though. My dad likes to hunt them, but he gives them to elderly people he know that eat them. I'd try it, but Dad goes on about how gross they are. He doesn't even want them cooked in the house. He's only tasted squirrel like one time!

Oh, I can't think of any one I know that eats possum. There probably are a few, but I haven't heard about it. Bear, wild turkey, squirrel, and deer are the main things people hunt here. I think Thanksgiving break here is a little longer because it's also deer season. Also, deer is soooo yummy! It's the best meat ever!
Old 08-07-2010, 10:06 AM   #16
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

[QUOTE=truebebeblue;1524183People eat rabbit too... a rodent... Pigs are smarter than dogs I believe ?[/QUOTE]

At the risk of getting technical here... rabbits are not rodents. They have their own little order (Lagomorpha) in Class Mammalia, and according to the biologists who do protein sequencing to see who's related to whom, rabbits are more closely related to primates (i.e., us) than to rodents.

Pigs are smarter than dogs according to tests devised by humans. Of course, intelligence tests devised by humans are going to measure how closely an animal's thinking resembles that of human beings. Considering that pigs are emblematic of greed and dogs of loyalty, the results don't surprise me much.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote