Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 07-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
wrestlingguy
"Bitter Old Man"

wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Sonic (Not the Hedgehog)

This past year, NJ has been hit with the opening of a bunch of Sonic locations.

I'm no stranger to Sonic, I tried my first one about 10 years ago when I visited Joy in Little Rock.

I thought it might be a good time to have all of you Sonic veterans post about your favorite Sonic menu items. My latest favorite is the new foot long quarter pound Coney (hot dog with chili and melted cheese). It's plumper.........and that can't be bad.

Props to Sonic for their limeades too!
Old 07-30-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
Wild Zero
ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn

Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!

The sonic near me is of questionable quality and the servers never give back exact change. About the only thing they don't manage to screw up is the ocean water.

The ones I've visited in FL, MS and SC were all great.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:35 AM   #3
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I've always taken Sonic for granted. Since it started in Oklahoma, they are everywhere down here.

I love their cheese tots. I absolutely love them. I also like the super sonic cheeseburger, foot long cheese coney and their breakfast burritos are really good.

The mozz sticks and the jalapeno poppers are good. For dessert their reeses blast is yummy and the strawberry sundae isn't bad!

Of course, the drinks are the most popular and happy hour is the greatest.

I normally get one of the following:

Cranberry diet sprite
Strawberry Limeaid
Cherry Limeaid
Cherry Dr. Pepper

The list goes on and on
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:47 AM   #4
SBQT73

SBQT73 does more than just post hot picsSBQT73 does more than just post hot picsSBQT73 does more than just post hot picsSBQT73 does more than just post hot pics

I'm not a big fan of Sonic food but I LOVE their drinks. Diet Cherry Limeaid is my favorite!
SBQT73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
deepreflection
EruptIntoABev-Rage w/GLUG

deepreflection can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesdeepreflection can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

If you haven't tried it, add Watermelon to your favorite drink there. It goes best with neutral or citrus like a sprite zero (since they don't have 7up) or add it to a cream slush order. Summertime refreshment without having to squeeze a watermelon

I am about ---> <--- that close to saying I don't like Sonic because of their food. We have an In n Out and who doesn't love a little In n Out? There's a 5 Guys about 18 minutes from my doorstep. We have a Habit Burger where I work. Hell Mc Donalds sometimes even sounds better, I like the bacon egg and cheese biscuit over Sonic's Breakfast fare.

"Though this be madness, yet there is method in it" - William Shakespeare
deepreflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:54 PM   #6
jcas50
Liberal Scum

jcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot pics
Default Sonic Drive By

The first Sonic in Connecticut opened about ten days ago. I thought I would see how they are doing. Drove up, and there is this massive staging area, where cars are lined up to get in. I drive up and ask the parking lot attendant where I go if I just want to go inside. He has me park a long way from the building (two short city blocks away) I do so and walk up to find there is no inside restaurant. Your choices are drive through, car hop stalls, or patio-where you have to wait in line for a kiosk, make an order at the kiosk, pay the machine, and wait for a carhop to come out and try to find you.

I've been to other Sonics where you had the option of going to a counter and sitting down inside.

This was maddening and the food is not that good. I'm not going back until the hoopla dies down. This reminds me of Krispy Kreme's entry into the market. It was doing amazing business in the beginning but now there are only a couple left.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Our Sonic here (same as Wild Zero's) opened over a year ago (or just about... maybe a year in August?) and it's always busy. It was insanely packed all the time for about 3 months, lines down the highway - but now it's just normal busy, but you can actually pull in and get a stall to order, etc.

Our Sonic is still working stuff out - I really think it's just because a lot of the food is not New England regional fare for fast food, and the cooks/servers still just don't "get it". I wish they'd send them all to a Sonic in Texas or something to figure it out.

Anyway, my Sonic faves are tots!!! corn dogs, and the drinks... I'm an orange slush girl primarily, but I'm always open to shakes and stuff... yum!!!!
Old 07-31-2010, 03:34 PM   #8
Ash
Smash

Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post
Our Sonic here (same as Wild Zero's)..
Noticed that, too. I think they'll work it out, but yeah, it's a little disappointing. PLUS, last time we went there they didn't have any chili. Sonic without chili should never, ever happen.

Anyway, my Sonic favorites are the tots (I'll second AM's !!!!), cherry limeade, and the corndogs. Mmmmm.

ETA: Remember that time when we didn't secretly leave in the middle of a bash to wait in line for hours when Sonic first opened?
Old 07-31-2010, 03:54 PM   #9
JoyJoy

JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I've been eating at Sonic since I was a kid - they've just always been the "go-to" for a quick, cheap bite or cool drink for me. Since some of them are independently-owned franchises, the quality can vary from the company-owned places, and I've found the independent locations to be not as good.

I've always hated their burgers, but their chicken club toaster is yummy, love the breakfast burrito, the popcorn chicken and their tots. The frito chili wrap on the 99 cent menu is also very good, and of course, the coneys are awesome.

I've never found a cherry limeade as good at theirs. I could drink them every day and not get tired of them. Their tea is good, too, and I love their "Blast" shakes - I always get mine with M&Ms.

JoyJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:03 PM   #10
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post

ETA: Remember that time when we didn't secretly leave in the middle of a bash to wait in line for hours when Sonic first opened?
Remember how we didn't have about 5 videos documenting our insane trip and almost 3 hour trip (including over 2 hours of waiting in a line that was probably not even 1000 feet long?) that got lost. Remember all the singing along at the top of our lungs in the car?

I'm so glad we never made that trip.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:42 PM   #11
Wild Zero
ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn

Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!

the best part about the great sonicopalypse on rt 1 was saying f it and going to a virtually empty Kelly's.

I do like how sonic's onion rings have a slightly sweet fried dough flavor.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #12
thirtiesgirl
frumious bandersnatch

thirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging in

I've eaten at Sonic once in the central Cali valley and wasn't impressed by their burger. I'm kind of a burger connoiseur, so it takes a lot to impress me. I also didn't like the fact that there was no place inside to eat. We either had to eat at their seats outside, or in the car, which I don't like to do. I keep a clean car, so I generally don't eat food in it, especially something as messy as a burger. Now, I didn't try any of Sonic's drinks (aside from a diet cola) or the cheese poppers which, I will admit, look delicious in their commercials which air frequently on local LA tv, which is weird since there aren't any Sonics in LA. If I get the chance to eat at Sonic again, I'll have to try something other than the burger, but if they want me to eat in the car, I doubt I'll be frequenting their establishment again.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #13
Crystal

Crystal has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crystal has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crystal has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crystal has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crystal has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crystal has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crystal has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crystal has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crystal has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crystal has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crystal has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Their Cream Slushes are the absolute best.

Vanilla ice cream + slushy mix = major deliciousness.

The food isn't the greatest, just your average, run of the mill fast food. But, the drinks are amazing. I've never had a drink at Sonic that I didn't absolutely love. Slushes, ice cream, cream slushes, milkshakes, Sonic blasts...*drools*
Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:32 PM   #14
JeanC
Fat chick with a gun

JeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this board

We've had Sonics in Spokane for a couple of years now, but didn't get a chance to eat at one until one opened in Post Falls last year.

YUM!!!! The burgers we had were delish and the tots were to die for. I have had their shakes once, when we drove by one in Portland and wanted one. I had their hot fudge malted and that was simply orgasmic.
JeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #15
vardon_grip
Consistently smarmy

vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!

I didn't care for the burgers and the coney dog is a flavorless disappointment. Overall, the food menu is not something I would go out for.
Not to fear, the drink menu is great! (As others have said) The slushes, chillers and shakes are terrific! (especially now that that the hot season is here. I love happy hour/s!)
It's also nice that since I live in Los Angeles, I don't have to drive too far to visit my local Los Angeles Sonic drive-in to enjoy their cool treats.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #16
thirtiesgirl
frumious bandersnatch

thirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardon_grip View Post
It's also nice that since I live in Los Angeles, I don't have to drive too far to visit my local Los Angeles Sonic drive-in to enjoy their cool treats.
Where are you in LA that there's a Sonic? The only Sonics I know of are in OC.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:02 PM   #17
LovelyLiz

LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtiesgirl View Post
Where are you in LA that there's a Sonic? The only Sonics I know of are in OC.
The one in Duarte isn't too far. They just opened it up within the past 6 months or so.

I am a huge fan of their Diet Coke or Diet Dr Pepper slushes. When I have to take a long road trip, I will always pick one up if I'm heading that direction out of town. I like their grilled cheeses (which are only like a buck), but was not a fan of their cheese tots (which is shocking because carbs and cheese is like my favorite combo EVER).

Crushed ice in drinks makes everything better.
LovelyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:22 PM   #18
thirtiesgirl
frumious bandersnatch

...Um...where's Duarte?

Yeah, I like the idea of a Coke slushie. The Islands restaurant near me makes this thing called a 'Cola Lime Ice,' which is, essentially a finely crushed cola slushie with lime flavoring. DEEE-lishus.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:29 PM   #19
LovelyLiz

LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtiesgirl View Post
...Um...where's Duarte?

Yeah, I like the idea of a Coke slushie. The Islands restaurant near me makes this thing called a 'Cola Lime Ice,' which is, essentially a finely crushed cola slushie with lime flavoring. DEEE-lishus.
I'm assuming your question is more of a statement than a question. But if it is a question, Google will point the way...
Old 08-02-2010, 12:34 AM   #20
pdgujer148
Breakfast Messiah

pdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

The drinks are about all I can recommend.

We've got this thing called "Culver's" here in the center of the US (all the way down to Texas, supposedly) where you can get a passable (and I stress "passable") bacon double cheese-burger (Note: they call it a "butter burger" because the bun is grilled in butter), deep fried cheese curds (mozzarella and cheddar), and a 1500 calorie thing made with custard and fruit called a "Concrete Mixer". You can expend a day's worth of calories just by parking in the lot.

Meanwhile I got all excited when Sonic appeared on my block. I had a tasteless hamburger, weirdly sweet onion rings, and a killer cherry cola. Never went there again. Judging from the lack of cars in the lot post launch I am guessing most of the locals feel the same.

Last edited by pdgujer148; 08-02-2010 at 12:36 AM.
pdgujer148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:51 AM   #21
Wild Zero
ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn

I'll give Sonic this much, their big lot is a great place to have meets on off hours if you're a member of a car enthusiast forum.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:43 AM   #22
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbeth View Post
The one in Duarte isn't too far. They just opened it up within the past 6 months or so.

I am a huge fan of their Diet Coke or Diet Dr Pepper slushes. When I have to take a long road trip, I will always pick one up if I'm heading that direction out of town. I like their grilled cheeses (which are only like a buck), but was not a fan of their cheese tots (which is shocking because carbs and cheese is like my favorite combo EVER).

Crushed ice in drinks makes everything better.
You know that the slush mix isn't sugar free right? I'm sure they told you, but I had to find out the hard way one day!
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:12 AM   #23
LovelyLiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty View Post
You know that the slush mix isn't sugar free right? I'm sure they told you, but I had to find out the hard way one day!
They told me. I'm just used to the taste of Diet Coke. Thanks!
Old 08-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #24
Tooz
sweet chocolate christ

Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!

Frickin' stoked because apparently they opened a Sonic in Wilmington and I might be Mass-bound next week and I'm gonna carpool with a friend who I'd have to drop off in Wilmington and like I said I heard they opened a Sonic in Wilmington and SOMEONE IS EXCITED CAN YOU TELL IT'S ME?
Old 08-02-2010, 09:17 AM   #25
thirtiesgirl
frumious bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbeth View Post
I'm assuming your question is more of a statement than a question. But if it is a question, Google will point the way...
No, I really don't know where Duarte is. ...But, yeah, I guess it is kind of a statement because I know pretty much all of LA, and if I don't know where Duarte is, that would indicate that it's not in LA.