Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 08-05-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
Esther
Queen Black Acid

Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esther has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default 'Hipsters of Size'

A friend of mine mentioned that she rarely ever sees fat "hipster" type guys (you know... trendy, scruffy, scarf-wearing in all weather, often very pretentious...). I, having developed quite an eye for this elusive cutie, went on a googling spree to prove her wrong. It turns out that someone has already devoted an entire tumblr page to these guys:
http://hipstersofsize.tumblr.com/
Some of these gentlemen aren't that big... but there are certainly lots of beards, tattoos and hairy bellies to browse
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
SailorCupcake

SailorCupcake has super-sized repSailorCupcake has super-sized repSailorCupcake has super-sized repSailorCupcake has super-sized rep

this made my night.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
Sasquatch!
A wild loser appeared!

Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Ugh... hipsters....sometimes I just want to smother them in their organic falafel.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
MasterShake
My Fist, Your Face!

MasterShake never has a post go unnoticedMasterShake never has a post go unnoticedMasterShake never has a post go unnoticedMasterShake never has a post go unnoticedMasterShake never has a post go unnoticedMasterShake never has a post go unnoticedMasterShake never has a post go unnoticedMasterShake never has a post go unnoticed

I think you see so few because it's not like a lot of hipster clothing is available in BHM sizes.

At least, I've never really seen much of that type of clothing available in bigger sizes.
MasterShake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
LovelyLiz

LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!

HOTTIES!!!!!

These guys are SEXY! I am less inclined toward the ultra skinny jeans and tight tees I see on most hipsters...but these are more creative outfits. Thanks for posting the link.
LovelyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
theronin23

theronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I. HATE. Hipsters. In principal at least. Yeah, because in practice, one of my best friends is definitely a glam-ish hipster (yeah, it's possible)

Even if I wasn't duty bound as a goth to despise their very existence(LOL kidding...mostly), I think I wouldn't like them very much anyway.
theronin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
lovelocs
Nunc est Bibendum

lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
me luff dis tred.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:35 PM   #8
StridentDionysus
Seņor Member

StridentDionysus can now change their title

I thought an eating disorder was required for the Hipster label.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #9
thirtiesgirl
frumious bandersnatch

thirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging in

I love this idea. Really great pics of these guys. I especially love the red haired tatted guy with the horns in the background.

I'll say this, living in LA, I see my share of hipster guys of size. More skinny hipsters, yes, but plenty of not-so-skinny ones, too. They're not that unusual around here. ...Now hipster fat girls, though... that's another matter. It's hard to be a fat hipster girl because it's really hard to find the clothes. I want to wear the little vintage dresses and Anthropologie sweaters, but they just don't make them in my size.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:21 AM   #10
Oirish
The Dude

Oirish knows EXACTLY what's going onOirish knows EXACTLY what's going onOirish knows EXACTLY what's going onOirish knows EXACTLY what's going onOirish knows EXACTLY what's going onOirish knows EXACTLY what's going onOirish knows EXACTLY what's going on

I came upon a miraculous website recently titled "Look at this Fucking Hipster."
I can't fucking stand these pretentious flavor of the week bastards. They take the worst elements of both yuppie and hippy cultures with none of the better points of either. <www.latfh.com>
Oirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:35 AM   #11
theronin23

theronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oirish View Post
I came upon a miraculous website recently titled "Look at this Fucking Hipster."
I can't fucking stand these pretentious flavor of the week bastards. They take the worst elements of both yuppie and hippy cultures with none of the better points of either. <www.latfh.com>
Yeah one of the Hipsters of Size is the infamous BEEEAAAANNNNSSS from LATFH.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:06 AM   #12
Zowie
Zowie-Zilla

Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I think I went to school with some of those guys. They all take "Media and General Arts"...

But no, that is kind of a fun website. Just because it's a bunch of guys that take pride in how they look, I guess.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:33 AM   #13
theronin23

Ok, so I know what hipsters look like, and what hipster music is, but I went to Urban Dictionary to see their definition of "hipster". Apparently, the hipster have invaded UD, because there was a HUGE piece lauding the praises of the hipster lifestyle. But the last sentence is what made me laugh hysterically and made whoever wrote it lose ALL credibility from an otherwise very well written entry.

"Anti-hipster sentiment often comes from people who simply can't keep up with social change and are envious of those who can."

So, lemme get this straight...hipsters are COUNTER-culture, but they ARE social change, thus making them prevalent culture? So, that destroys the subversiveness of being a hipster in the first place, doesn't it?

Yeah, if you need me, I'll be sitting over there. You won't be able to miss me. I'll be in all black with an OBVIOUSLY envious look on my face.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:51 AM   #14
Zowie
Zowie-Zilla

Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zowie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theronin23 View Post
Ok, so I know what hipsters look like, and what hipster music is, but I went to Urban Dictionary to see their definition of "hipster". Apparently, the hipster have invaded UD, because there was a HUGE piece lauding the praises of the hipster lifestyle. But the last sentence is what made me laugh hysterically and made whoever wrote it lose ALL credibility from an otherwise very well written entry.

"Anti-hipster sentiment often comes from people who simply can't keep up with social change and are envious of those who can."

So, lemme get this straight...hipsters are COUNTER-culture, but they ARE social change, thus making them prevalent culture? So, that destroys the subversiveness of being a hipster in the first place, doesn't it?

Yeah, if you need me, I'll be sitting over there. You won't be able to miss me. I'll be in all black with an OBVIOUSLY envious look on my face.
Yeah, but that's said about pretty much anyone. Any "style" is considered unique to you, except everyone else wears the same damned clothes. I mean, you're a goth, yes? So you want to be anti-establishment, non-conformist, and unique, however just end up looking like every other goth. And that's a general point of view people have, not just applying to you, or goths. I think I'm being so different with my tshirts and my goofy dresses and big glasses and bad haircut, but truth is, there's a million girls who look like me. And I'm trying to look like them. BUT I WILL NOT CONFORM!

That being said, I think I need more coffee. I'm not terribly awake yet.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:07 AM   #15
theronin23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionic_eggplant View Post
Yeah, but that's said about pretty much anyone. Any "style" is considered unique to you, except everyone else wears the same damned clothes. I mean, you're a goth, yes? So you want to be anti-establishment, non-conformist, and unique, however just end up looking like every other goth. And that's a general point of view people have, not just applying to you, or goths. I think I'm being so different with my tshirts and my goofy dresses and big glasses and bad haircut, but truth is, there's a million girls who look like me. And I'm trying to look like them. BUT I WILL NOT CONFORM!

That being said, I think I need more coffee. I'm not terribly awake yet.
See, here's the thing, in general goth circles there is a lot of conforming to the non-conformity. I don't run in general goth circles. I take the skeleton of gothic culture: The music, the dark aesthetic, the mindset; and, I make it my own. I put my own spin on it, and most of all, and I mean most of all, I don't limit myself to that. There are LOTS of things that I like that could potentially make me "lose my goth card". Do I care? No. Because I'm me, I just happen to identify with that label.

What that last sentence in the above article implies is that hipster is a counter-culture movement that seeks to become prevalent society. This differs from most counter-culture movements that seek to separate themselves FROM society for whatever perceived wrong they see in it. (See: Punk and Goth, which are closely related)
Old 08-06-2010, 05:15 AM   #16
Zowie
Zowie-Zilla

Quote:
See, here's the thing, in general goth circles there is a lot of conforming to the non-conformity. I don't run in general goth circles. I take the skeleton of gothic culture: The music, the dark aesthetic, the mindset; and, I make it my own. I put my own spin on it, and most of all, and I mean most of all, I don't limit myself to that. There are LOTS of things that I like that could potentially make me "lose my goth card". Do I care? No. Because I'm me, I just happen to identify with that label.
No, don't worry, I was saying you're a conforming non-conformist, I just used goth as a example. Most style structures are built like that, and most people will deviate from what they call a style their own. You might look at me today and go, "Ugh, a hipserette, someone smack her", but I wouldn't consider myself as such, or any other label you might want to stick. (Although... dork seems to work 90% of the time. )

Quote:
What that last sentence in the above article implies is that hipster is a counter-culture movement that seeks to become prevalent society. This differs from most counter-culture movements that seek to separate themselves FROM society for whatever perceived wrong they see in it. (See: Punk and Goth, which are closely related)
I have a hard time considering hipsers as counter-culture to begin with. Yes, they're prevalent, but I'm pretty sure 50's rimmed glasses don't make you counter-culture. The only thing they could counter would be other, more popular styles and mindset (prep or whatnot). Not so hardcore...
Old 08-06-2010, 05:26 AM   #17
theronin23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionic_eggplant View Post
(Although... dork seems to work 90% of the time. )
OOO! Lemme try!

*ahem*

Dork.

teehee

Quote:
I have a hard time considering hipsers as counter-culture to begin with. Yes, they're prevalent, but I'm pretty sure 50's rimmed glasses don't make you counter-culture. The only thing they could counter would be other, more popular styles and mindset (prep or whatnot). Not so hardcore...
Check out the long-ass definition here: (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hipster)

Pretty "Wait...what?" inducing.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:27 AM   #18
~da rev~
Call me Axel

~da rev~ carries a lot of weight on this board~da rev~ carries a lot of weight on this board~da rev~ carries a lot of weight on this board~da rev~ carries a lot of weight on this board~da rev~ carries a lot of weight on this board

If I ever coordinate what I'm wearing with the glasses on my face, you have permission to shoot me.

Ask me first, because it could happen on accident.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:31 AM   #19
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Esther, you had to go and start this thread right after I said that we never disagree. LOL.

You can have them all to yourself!!!
Old 08-06-2010, 05:42 AM   #20
HDANGEL15
GREATFUL

HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melian View Post

You can have them all to yourself!!!
seriously...they are all *BEARS* code language for (not into us wimmens)
no thanks I kinda prefer a MAN INTO ME....
Old 08-06-2010, 05:44 AM   #21
~da rev~
Call me Axel

~da rev~ carries a lot of weight on this board~da rev~ carries a lot of weight on this board~da rev~ carries a lot of weight on this board~da rev~ carries a lot of weight on this board~da rev~ carries a lot of weight on this board

They all look like gay lumberjacks.

No offense to gay people.

That was aimed at lumberjacks. I just hate them so much.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:51 AM   #22
HDANGEL15
GREATFUL

HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~da rev~ View Post
They all look like gay lumberjacks.

No offense to gay people.

That was aimed at lumberjacks. I just hate them so much.
wow...do you know a lot of lumberjacks LOLOLOL
Old 08-06-2010, 07:42 AM   #23
Oirish
The Dude

Oirish knows EXACTLY what's going onOirish knows EXACTLY what's going onOirish knows EXACTLY what's going onOirish knows EXACTLY what's going onOirish knows EXACTLY what's going onOirish knows EXACTLY what's going onOirish knows EXACTLY what's going on

Never underestimate a hipster's ability to self-agrandize. They seem to have filled up the first few pages with praises for their peers but there are some great posts there if you scroll through. Here is my favorite:

Listens to bands that you have never heard of. Has hairstyle that can only be described as "complicated." (Most likely achieved by a minimum of one week not washing it.) Probably tattooed. Maybe gay. Definitely cooler than you. Reads Black Book, Nylon, and the Styles section of the New York Times. Drinks Pabst Blue Ribbon. Often. Complains. Always denies being a hipster. Hates the word. Probably living off parents money - and spends a great deal of it to look like they don't have any. Has friends and/or self cut hair. Dyes it frequently (black, white-blonde, etc. and until scalp bleeds). Has a closet full of clothing but usually wears same three things OVER AND OVER (most likely very tight black pants, scarf, and ironic tee-shirt). Chips off nail polish artfully after $50 manicure. Sleeps with everyone and talks about it at great volume in crowded coffee shops. Addicted to coffee, cigarettes (Parliaments, Kamel Reds, Lucky Strikes, etc.), and possibly cocaine. Claims to be in a band. Rehearsals consist of choosing outfits for next show and drinking PBR. Always on the list. Majors or majored in art, writing, or queer studies. Name-drops. May go by "Penny Lane," "Eleanor Rigby," etc. when drunk. On PBR. Which is usually.

Quote:

Oirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #24
JenFromOC
Awesome.

JenFromOC is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJenFromOC is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJenFromOC is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJenFromOC is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJenFromOC is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJenFromOC is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJenFromOC is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJenFromOC is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJenFromOC is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJenFromOC is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJenFromOC is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oirish View Post
Never underestimate a hipster's ability to self-agrandize. They seem to have filled up the first few pages with praises for their peers but there are some great posts there if you scroll through. Here is my favorite:

Listens to bands that you have never heard of. Has hairstyle that can only be described as "complicated." (Most likely achieved by a minimum of one week not washing it.) Probably tattooed. Maybe gay. Definitely cooler than you. Reads Black Book, Nylon, and the Styles section of the New York Times. Drinks Pabst Blue Ribbon. Often. Complains. Always denies being a hipster. Hates the word. Probably living off parents money - and spends a great deal of it to look like they don't have any. Has friends and/or self cut hair. Dyes it frequently (black, white-blonde, etc. and until scalp bleeds). Has a closet full of clothing but usually wears same three things OVER AND OVER (most likely very tight black pants, scarf, and ironic tee-shirt). Chips off nail polish artfully after $50 manicure. Sleeps with everyone and talks about it at great volume in crowded coffee shops. Addicted to coffee, cigarettes (Parliaments, Kamel Reds, Lucky Strikes, etc.), and possibly cocaine. Claims to be in a band. Rehearsals consist of choosing outfits for next show and drinking PBR. Always on the list. Majors or majored in art, writing, or queer studies. Name-drops. May go by "Penny Lane," "Eleanor Rigby," etc. when drunk. On PBR. Which is usually.
Also....they can draw very well (dark, disturbing art) and most likely work at Starbucks. And Orange County is full of them....Hipster girls and guys of size.

Jen Rocks!!

I wanna get in trouble, I wanna start a fight!

And it's a great day to be alive- Travis Tritt
JenFromOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:46 AM   #25
Zowie
Zowie-Zilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenFromOC View Post
Also....they can draw very well (dark, disturbing art) and most likely work at Starbucks. And Orange County is full of them....Hipster girls and guys of size.
...Can I have my hipster card now?