Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 08-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default The Unsatisfactory Meal thread

Jackie and I went to IHOP to meet a friend for dinner. As is typical for me at a place like IHOP, I ordered breakfast food. My dish this time was a turkey bacon omelet with swiss cheese and fruit on the side. Very healthy.

It was also very "bleah." The egg was overdone, being somewhat leathery. The Swiss cheese tasted like off white plastic. The omelet itself was rather flavorless. The bacon was laid across the top in complete strips, rather than being crumbled into the omelet. My friend suggested I send it back, but I shrugged and said "the cook would probably spit in it if I did that."

I had some of the omelet, which was really just overdone hard scramble egg, and ended up eating mainly the strips of turkey bacon.

A most unsatisfactory meal.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
cinnamitch
nope

cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!

Hmm there have been a few

Perkins Restaurant and their Country Fried Steak Dinner. You do not put SAUSAGE gravy on a steak, that is just wrong.

5 Guys Burgers- To me just meh, nothing special and the fries were limp dishrags.
cinnamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
crayola box

crayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going on

Agree about 5 guys, totally don't get the hype.

My unsatisfactory meal was homemade last week. Was craving Indian so bought all the ingredients but didn't feel like cooking, then when I finally made it...meh, it managed to be hot, spicy, juicy and creamy and yet bland and underwhelming
crayola box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
TraciJo67
On Timeout

TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I avoid Perkins/IHOP and restaurants of their ilk as much as possible. The food quality is right on par with the meal prices. My husband & son love the IHOP pancakes, so sometimes I have no choice but to cave and eat there. I stick to their multi-grain pancakes, with nothing else. I don't know if it's just me, but even their bacon/sausage tastes processed, cheap, and blah.
TraciJo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

I went down south about a month ago and one night there I was craving ice cream so my cousin suggested we go to the dairy queen since it was still open and I got excited cause I've never been to the dairy queen since there aren't any in new york city. During the drive over she started talking about how good their burgers were, so I got one. The cheeseburger I had was one of the worse cheeseburgers I've ever had. The patty was thin and tasteless, and the cheese was waxy. The whole thing tasted like mushy cardboard. And she looked at me like I was crazy still insisting the food there is "the bomb". I should have known better. The ice cream was okay tho.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraciJo67 View Post
I avoid Perkins/IHOP and restaurants of their ilk as much as possible. The food quality is right on par with the meal prices. My husband & son love the IHOP pancakes, so sometimes I have no choice but to cave and eat there. I stick to their multi-grain pancakes, with nothing else. I don't know if it's just me, but even their bacon/sausage tastes processed, cheap, and blah.
Yeah, I used to go to IHOP every now and then with my Mom. She liked a few of the breakfasts, but I thought it just wasn't good, and I am not a snobby eater. The pancakes were thin and almost rubbery- the ham...well, as much as I adore ham, theirs made me want to weep. I do remember liking their cheeseburger - at least from the IHOP we went to.

OK - California Kitchen pepperoni pizza...horrible...thin soggy crust with bland tomato sauce...horrible
mossystate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:28 PM   #7
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossystate View Post
Yeah, I used to go to IHOP every now and then with my Mom. She liked a few of the breakfasts, but I thought it just wasn't good, and I am not a snobby eater. The pancakes were thin and almost rubbery- the ham...well, as much as I adore ham, theirs made me want to weep. I do remember liking their cheeseburger - at least from the IHOP we went to.

OK - California Kitchen pepperoni pizza...horrible...thin soggy crust with bland tomato sauce...horrible
I was just at the local IHOP, had a spinach/mushroom/swiss cheese omelet and it was quite tasty, for realz! And the pancakes were very good, also. Not the best omelet or pancakes I've ever had, but certainly far far from the worst.

Have to agree on the California Pizza Kitchen, blech. I'm in Chicago, CPK is just blasphemy. I didn't want to go, but I was over-ruled but I was right, it was awful.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
TraciJo67
On Timeout

TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Yeah, I don't get the crowd who thinks that California Pizza Kitchen -- or any chain restaurant -- equals fine dining.

And I'm part of the crowd that eats there, mostly because I can't afford truly "fine" dining but also because there's not a snoot on the planet who would put up with a 3-year-old's running commentary while they're focusing on devouring that plate of wood-fired and seared and nut-crusted fresh catch of the day basted in truffle oil. Or whatever the uppercrust eats. *

But still. I don't understand who could think that mass-produced platters chock full 'o the fried and the char-grilled could equate to really good eats. I guess, underneath it all, I'm a fine-tuned foodie living by necessity on an IHOP budget.

*I lied. It's 100% because I can't afford it, otherwise I'd subject the King Himself to my son's whiny "but I want Kraft mac 'n cheeeeeeese" rants.

Last edited by TraciJo67; 08-14-2010 at 04:11 PM.
TraciJo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraciJo67 View Post
But still. I don't understand who could think that mass-produced platters chock full 'o the fried and the char-grilled could equate to really good eats.
And somewhere in their ads is a phrase like "Why does our food taste so good? Because it's FRESH!" But you KNOW that when the waiter goes back to the kitchen with your order, he's going to say, "Nuke another Number Seventeen."
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:02 PM   #10
wtchmel

wtchmel can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokeswtchmel can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamitch View Post

Perkins Restaurant and their Country Fried Steak Dinner. You do not put SAUSAGE gravy on a steak, that is just wrong.
I guess I would beg to differ, i always use a sausage or bacon grease base to my gravy for chicken fried steak.
( also, got to stick up for the parent company,lol)

Last edited by wtchmel; 08-18-2010 at 08:10 PM.
wtchmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #11
wtchmel

wtchmel can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokeswtchmel can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
And somewhere in their ads is a phrase like "Why does our food taste so good? Because it's FRESH!" But you KNOW that when the waiter goes back to the kitchen with your order, he's going to say, "Nuke another Number Seventeen."
LMAO!!! I was rollin on this one!! I've worked for restaurants for years, and yes, for your chain restaurants, to create consistancy across the board, there is alot of 'premade' food from the commisary(sp). that is eventually micro-ed. TOo funny.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:49 PM   #12
Wild Zero
ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn

Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!

We went to a raw vegan restaurant for lunch a few weeks ago, I got a "pizza" that from the menu description and $12 price had me expecting a good sized pie topped with fresh tomatoes, sun-dried red peppers and basil plucked from an on-site garden. Instead I got a tiny triangular granola boat filled with a tasteless green paste topped with a handful of flaccid looking peppers.

The Yelp review:
"After eating here I want to burn entire forests to the ground, I want to butcher a cow with nothing more than a butter knife and malice, I want to blow up oil platforms and dump more crude into the world's oceans, I want to rape a horse and run down assorted woodland critters in a gas hogging V12-powered sports car.

But more than anything I want to go back in time and punch myself in the face for ever going here.

A meal so poor and overpriced I reconsidered my vegetarianism and support for animal rights."
Old 08-19-2010, 09:08 AM   #13
Rowan
wickedly delicious

Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Zero View Post
We went to a raw vegan restaurant for lunch a few weeks ago, I got a "pizza" that from the menu description and $12 price had me expecting a good sized pie topped with fresh tomatoes, sun-dried red peppers and basil plucked from an on-site garden. Instead I got a tiny triangular granola boat filled with a tasteless green paste topped with a handful of flaccid looking peppers.

The Yelp review:
"After eating here I want to burn entire forests to the ground, I want to butcher a cow with nothing more than a butter knife and malice, I want to blow up oil platforms and dump more crude into the world's oceans, I want to rape a horse and run down assorted woodland critters in a gas hogging V12-powered sports car.

But more than anything I want to go back in time and punch myself in the face for ever going here.

A meal so poor and overpriced I reconsidered my vegetarianism and support for animal rights."
That is so funny!

פפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפ

~*~And I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
~*~
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:26 AM   #14
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Zero View Post

The Yelp review:

Outstanding review, sir.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:16 AM   #15
Wild Zero
ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn

Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!

I checked the restaurant's website today just to confirm that I paid $12 for my disgusting pizza and saw that their "famous burrito" contained refried beans.

Refried beans at a raw food restaurant, pfft.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #16
Dibaby35
Chicken n' Dumplings

Dibaby35 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesDibaby35 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesDibaby35 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Waffle house in Lexington Kentucky

Nastiest place ever. I was soooo excited too because my friends ranted and raved about Waffle house and I have never been to one. Well it looked like a real greasy spoon when I walked in..which is fine because I've been to a many of them. Except that I was with my friend who was in the upper crust if you know what I mean so I was a bit embarrased I dragged her there. Anyways I ordered a veggie egg white omelet like I always do for breakfast and it was just...nothing. Basically a square two inches by 4 inches and some cheese sprinkled on top and not even hot. I should have just went with the waffles and stayed safe. They had to have good waffles right? It is the waffles house! Anyways never will go back. Our greasy spoons in Illinois our three times as good as that..lol.
Dibaby35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:31 PM   #17
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Every Waffle House you will ever go to will be the same. It's a southern phenomenon that I just don't get. The food is nasty.

Edit: the waffles are not any better.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:41 PM   #18
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
Every Waffle House you will ever go to will be the same. It's a southern phenomenon that I just don't get. The food is nasty.

And the thin patina of grease and dirt on the floor is premixed and distributed to all outlets by the parent company.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:03 PM   #19
Wild Zero
ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromond View Post

I firmly believe the phenomenon is only perpetuated by people who live far enough away to have never had Waffle House.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:40 PM   #20
Dromond
Old school

Quote:
And the thin patina of grease and dirt on the floor is premixed and distributed to all outlets by the parent company.
I believe this.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:56 AM   #21
crayola box

crayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
so so true, was there once on a drive from FL to NY and it was the only option, gross dirty and creepy to boot
crayola box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:38 AM   #22
Dibaby35
Chicken n' Dumplings

Dibaby35 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesDibaby35 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesDibaby35 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I feel relieved I wasn't the only one about the Waffle house thing. What really made me pissed was that I was walking out I realized there was a Cracker Barrel just down the street. Would have been so much better. Live and learn
Dibaby35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #23
Brenda

Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

On the road stopped and got Wendy's chili for dinner before checking into hotel. I dig my spoon in and pull out the most foul bunt chili. Totally inedible and I am just too tired to go get something else to eat. Damn you Wendy's.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #24
thirtiesgirl
frumious bandersnatch

thirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
On the road stopped and got Wendy's chili for dinner before checking into hotel. I dig my spoon in and pull out the most foul bunt chili. Totally inedible and I am just too tired to go get something else to eat. Damn you Wendy's.
Ugh. Sorry you had a bad experience there. I'm a big Wendy's fan. I don't eat much fast food, but when I'm in the mood for a burger, Wendy's is usually where I go. I've yet to have a bad food experience there.

Most of my unsatisfactory meals have less to do with the food and more to do with the atmosphere. I'm not a very picky eater, so I'm rarely disappointed by food. What gets to me more is the place and people in it. A few months ago, I was in the mood for Thai food and I know Pick-Up Stix makes a pretty good shrimp pad Thai. I decided to stay in the restaurant and eat, even though Pick-Up Stix is more of a take-out kind of place. The way my local Pick-Up Stix is set up, there's an open kitchen, not behind closed doors, which takes up one side of the restaurant, while the tables where you sit and eat are on the other side, across from the kitchen.

On the day I went there to fulfill my craving for pad Thai, the manager on duty was this Latino guy who was in a permanently good mood and happens to be one of the loudest talkers I've ever heard. Everything that comes out of his mouth is an exclamation. Woohoo! I wouldn't have minded his extreme joviality if he hadn't been such a damn loud talker, made even louder by the fact that he was trying to talk over the cooking noises from the kitchen. The whole time I was there to eat, he was in the kitchen area right across from me with his chefs and the two service girls, having extremely loud conversations in Spanish and English, translating things and joking around with one of the service girls who doesn't speak Spanish. I couldn't just sit, relax and enjoy my meal in relative silence, because I couldn't help but hear everything they said. It was extremely annoying, and I didn't visit Pick-Up Stix again for several months because I'd had such a bad experience. But that's how I am. The food wasn't bad, but the atmosphere was so awful, I didn't want to go back again until I was good and ready.

I will agree with those who've had a bad experience with IHOP breakfast, though. I don't much like their breakfast either. I much prefer Denny's. The only breakfast item I really love at IHOP is their stuffed French toast. It's so damn good, I have a hard time not shedding tears of joy when I eat it.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:13 PM   #25
Dromond
Old school

Jackie had planned to make a homemade spaghetti dinner tonight, but was out running errands until too late to make it. Her dad was with her and suggested KFC. So Jackie called, asking what she could bring me. Internally I went "bleh," but asked for chicken strips, thinking it would be a safe choice.

It was not a safe choice. The strips were past their prime, no doubt having sat on the warming rack way too long. Tough, leathery, greasy, utterly lacking in anything resembling flavor. I had asked for mashed potatoes on the side, and they were also dreadful. The strips didn't stay down long...