Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 11-01-2005, 05:53 PM   #51
cactopus
Baconator

cactopus does more than just post hot picscactopus does more than just post hot picscactopus does more than just post hot picscactopus does more than just post hot pics
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft
I love Trader Joe's. I also love a northeast chain called Wegman's. I haven't been to Whole Foods yet (tho my roomie is anxious to get there - she loves it!).

These specialty grocery stores have wholesome, natural, gourmet and AWESOME foodstuffs. Do you go to any of these? Or someplace similar?
Trader Joes and Wegmans both rock. I only actually live near a Trader Joe's. There are many things I enjoy there (see below for a few)

I love their Tejava unsweetened iced tea. I buy this by the case. It's like $1.29 for a 1L bottle I think.
I love their frozen pizzas (Pear and Gorgonzola, and the Greek one, as well as the goat cheese one).
I like their green chile and cheese tamales.
Their Blood Orange Juice is great.
Bags of key limes which I put in Tejava.

etc. etc.

I have recently found an amazing store complex which has a huge gourmet store, liquor store, garden center, and best of all homebrew shop in Clifton New Jersey.

http://www.corradosmarket.com

Jersians should visit. So many fresh foods and the prices are insanely low.

You can buy $20 worth of goat cheese and get a several lb. log (1ft or more in lenth and 4 inches in diameter). In a regular grocery store $20 worth is 4 little 5 oz sticks.

Rumbeard
cactopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 06:05 PM   #52
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactopus

I have recently found an amazing store complex which has a huge gourmet store, liquor store, garden center, and best of all homebrew shop in Clifton New Jersey.

You can buy $20 worth of goat cheese and get a several lb. log (1ft or more in lenth and 4 inches in diameter). In a regular grocery store $20 worth is 4 little 5 oz sticks.

Rumbeard
Thanks for the link, I will have to visit it sometime. I love the huge Japanese supermarket in Edgewater.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:30 PM   #53
cactopus
Baconator

cactopus does more than just post hot picscactopus does more than just post hot picscactopus does more than just post hot picscactopus does more than just post hot pics
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissToodles
Thanks for the link, I will have to visit it sometime. I love the huge Japanese supermarket in Edgewater.
You're welcome. I'll have to find out more about the store you're mentioning. Do you have a name for it?

There's a great Chinese market that I frequent after Dim Sum on weekends in Hartsdale (the restaurant is Central Seafood) on Central Avenue and there's also a Japanese liquor store (great Sake, Plum wine, and other goodies) on the same road.

Rumbeard
cactopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 06:38 PM   #54
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I've been to that market before, we found it by accident! It's by a one screen movie theatre?

I did a search and the name of the market is Mitsuwa, here is the address:

595 River Road,
Edgewater, NJ 07020.

It has beauty products, lots of frozen foods, junk food (including pocky for men), a food court and half price sushi after 8:00 p.m. The food court overlooks the Hudson River. Great place to shop and not hard on the wallet too.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:47 PM   #55
cactopus
Baconator

Quote:
I've been to that market before, we found it by accident! It's by a one screen movie theatre?
Yeah... it was showing Chicago last time I looked (a long time ago). A great Dim Sum place called David's Jade Palace used to be up the street until they lost an employee wage lawsuit and now it's a place where you eat and buy furniture.

Quote:
I did a search and the name of the market is Mitsuwa, here is the address:

595 River Road,
Edgewater, NJ 07020.

It has beauty products, lots of frozen foods, junk food (including pocky for men), a food court and half price sushi after 8:00 p.m. The food court overlooks the Hudson River. Great place to shop and not hard on the wallet too.
Thanks muchly
Old 11-01-2005, 09:11 PM   #56
cactopus
Baconator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnnekked
The mushroom is good but the asparagus is much better! How could it not be?
Don't go for the French Onion.
Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:13 PM   #57
cactopus
Baconator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boteroesque Babe
Must... find... Red... Dragon....

Looks and sounds divine, Wistful. I'll be on the lookout. Had a great Cadematori Taleggio tonight. I like to take a fine cheese and trash it up by stacking it on a Wheat Thin.
Doesn't sound too bad in the trashing department. I prefer cheese on triscuits or melba toast. The herb triscuits kind of taste like Thanksgiving stuffing.

I thought of two more Trader Joe's goodies I love:

The melba toasts (really good with a creamy cheese or a fruit gorgonzola)
and
The pub cheese spread (cheddar + horseradish)
Old 11-04-2005, 12:39 AM   #58
stan_der_man
The Teflon Frog

Location: Born in The Mission, raised on Rt. 66, living in the Squirrel Ghetto, SoCal
stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Smile Trader Joe's Favorites...

My favorites from Trader Joe's are the "Two Buck Chuck" wines (they won an award back east I heard...) and the Ghiardelli's chocolate chunks (rejected, broken chocolate chunks that are half the price but all of the flavor!!!) You know what else tastes good, is their Coffee soy milk poured over Cherrios and cinnamon Life cereal...

Stan
stan_der_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 01:34 PM   #59
bigsexy920
Ok I'll be good.

bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Sounds like I need to find a Trader Joe's around here.

* searching for map*

B-
bigsexy920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 01:48 PM   #60
MissToodles
dead peasant

They are definetly all over Jersey and you won't regret it!
Old 11-04-2005, 05:25 PM   #61
Venus de Mpls

I live in a golden food triangle. To the east is Lunds; to the south, three blocks away is Whole Foods and a mile south of that is my co-op; to the west is Byerly’s. They will have to dynamite me out of this neighborhood now that I live here.

In Minnesota the wacky liquor laws prevent sales of alcohol in a grocery store but I have to say I long for Two Buck Chuck, just to taste it, and with my plebian tastes probably thoroughly enjoy same. We keep hearing rumors of Trader Joes coming to our fair cities but I fear our outdated liquor laws are stymieing the process. That said, onto my faves at Whole Foods:

The salad bar rocks like no other – I get a huge, mostly lettuce salad (no dressing, to prolong shelf life) twice a week and can get two or three salads out of it. Somehow my fridge makes heads of lettuce die before they can become salad, so buying salads from the salad bar is, believe it or not, less wasteful.

Cheese! Though all three markets have a great selection I love Whole Foods’ nibbly sampler approach. I thought I hated Swiss cheese (sorry Conrad!). Not true. I’ve found that room temperature Swiss cheese is in fact nutty, smooth and wonderful. I never would’ve known that had not I been exposed to the ubiquitous tiny cheese squares and toothpicks at Whole Foods.

Whole Foods carries our local Holy Land garlicky hummus and pita in the ‘fridge case, which I tend to buy every time I visit. Whenever they have Whole Foods' house guacamole covered with salsa I look for the most packed container and plop it into my cart. It has the perfect consistency and mix of flavors. I’ve eaten an entire container in one sitting.

El Rey milk chocolate discs.

Last year my brother in law and I gave each other truffles. I sent Whole Foods’ and he sent Trader Joe’s. I love them both.

All my grocery haunts have Pom (blueberry, yum) but I usually pick it up at Whole Foods. Pom makes a killer cocktail when you add fizzy H2O and perhaps alcohol, though just the fizzy water (lime Perrier or plain H2O© works best) is a thirst quenching and super-antioxidant-y delight.

Somehow Whole Foods consistently has the best lemons and garlic. No idea why. The rest of their produce simply can’t hold a candle to Linden Hills Co-op.

I want a Trader Joe’s so I can compare and contrast. Greedy. That’s what I am.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:35 PM   #62
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Just picked up "Trader Ming's" Hot & Soup Soup (comes in a jar in the soup section of Trader Joe's). Never saw it there before.

It was YUMMY!! soooooooo good! If you like hot & sour soup, I highly recommend having it on hand for when you want some and don't feel like getting it delivered or running out for it.

The down side is that there is way too much fat and sodium...but...um...it's damn good.
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 06:31 PM   #63
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I've got to add another AMAZING item from Trader Joe's - Maître Pierre Tarte d' Alsace - it's a french style tarte with ham, carmelized onions & gruyere cheese. DELICIOUS!!

It is round like a pizza, but the crust is very very thin and crispy. I WANT MORE!

I just ate a whole one (it's about the size of a dinner plate), and wished I had more, so I am now cooking a pear and gorgonzola pizza I got there as well. I don't think it will be a great substitution, but I am looking forward it anyhow!

Oh damn, I wish I'd thought to snap a pic of the tarte. Next time!
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 07:41 PM   #64
ValentineBBW
seeking Vegas

ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft
I've got to add another AMAZING item from Trader Joe's - Maître Pierre Tarte d' Alsace - it's a french style tarte with ham, carmelized onions & gruyere cheese. DELICIOUS!!

It is round like a pizza, but the crust is very very thin and crispy. I WANT MORE!

I just ate a whole one (it's about the size of a dinner plate), and wished I had more, so I am now cooking a pear and gorgonzola pizza I got there as well. I don't think it will be a great substitution, but I am looking forward it anyhow!

Oh damn, I wish I'd thought to snap a pic of the tarte. Next time!
You folks with the Trader Joe's and all the fabulous sounding food are killing those of us who don't have access, ya know.
ValentineBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 07:48 PM   #65
jamie
...tickled...

jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValentineBBW
You folks with the Trader Joe's and all the fabulous sounding food are killing those of us who don't have access, ya know.

ditto... if I weren't so agoraphobic I would brave the crowds in Cincy and hit that one... but I am..so I will have to suffer with ya Valentina..
Old 12-13-2005, 03:08 PM   #66
bradlm

bradlm can now change their title

Traders Joe's Chicken Fajita Burrito and the mini tacos are to die for. Also their penut butter filled pretzels are awesome! Oh..and don't forget the chicken taquitos...ok..the chocolate covered bananas are great too..ok..lock me up in the store after hours and charge my card when I'm done
bradlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:36 PM   #67
MissToodles
dead peasant

necroposting ftw! anyone have good finds from TJ's lately? I recently tried their rice noodle bowls, which are really salty but extremely yummyful. They the Thai Kitchen ones but are only 99 cents instead of $1.99.

Also bought the roast beef hash. It comes in a foil pouch. It was okay. Not as fatty as corn beef (of course!) and I guess I just have a fondness for the canned stuff. If you want something a bit less greasy, you'd probably like it. poured tons of ketchup and cracked black pepper and it added a bit of zip.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:40 AM   #68
SocialbFly
I am keeping Tina!

SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Hahahaha, Ms Toodles, it cracked me up to see who had resurected this post....

i love trader joes chicken breakfast maple sausages

Medical advisor to the Mayor of Fatopia :)
SocialbFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:31 AM   #69
JeanC
Fat chick with a gun

JeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this board

Hadn't seen this post, so was reading thru it. I must say I had to look up Tom of Finland to see what people were hinting at LOL

I wish we had a TJs near by. The closest is in Vancouver WA They were going to open one up in Spokane, but that fell thru

I love their aged balsamic vinegar and their white balsamic. Since we only get to one once in a while, I usually can't get anything fresh or frozen, unless it is their chocolate meringue cookies or their macaroons
JeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:48 PM   #70
DeniseW
Fat don't crack!!

DeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I love Trader Joe's guacamole, hummus and their brown rice sushi. I also buy their bananas(only 19 cents each) and there edamame. We also love their extra large white eggs and yogurt. I buy bread there but I can't remember the name of it.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #71
katorade

katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie View Post
ditto... if I weren't so agoraphobic I would brave the crowds in Cincy and hit that one... but I am..so I will have to suffer with ya Valentina..
Our TJ's is actually fairly small and unimpressive. I wasn't blown away at all and much prefer Fresh Market, which is coincidentally right across the street (and right next to where I work!).

If you're coming all the way up from SexyLexy, do yourself a favor and drive the extra 20 minutes and go to Jungle Jim's. Now THAT is a truly impressive grocery store. It's every kind of market you could imagine, thrown in one big building, with more variety of stuff than you thought you'd ever need.

www.junglejims.com

Bring comfy shoes, though. It's 6.5 acres of food.

P.S. Kroger's now carries greek yogurt. Greek Gods brand, honey flavor. You want it.
katorade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:34 PM   #72
JeanC
Fat chick with a gun

JeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by katorade View Post
If you're coming all the way up from SexyLexy, do yourself a favor and drive the extra 20 minutes and go to Jungle Jim's. Now THAT is a truly impressive grocery store. It's every kind of market you could imagine, thrown in one big building, with more variety of stuff than you thought you'd ever need.

www.junglejims.com

Bring comfy shoes, though. It's 6.5 acres of food.
I keep seeing shows on Jungle Jim's and I SOOOOOOOOOOO want go there and shop
JeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:56 AM   #73
goofy girl
took a sharp left turn

goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!

I LOVE TJ's for the Blue Agave Nectar and whoopie pies alone!! They also sell this frozen jasmine rice that you just pop into the microwave. Delicious! I also found these salmon roulette things..they are stuffed with a Florentine stuffing and they take minutes to cook. Love TJ's
Old 11-07-2009, 12:50 PM   #74
bigsexy920
Ok I'll be good.

bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactopus View Post

Rumbeard
Love Corrados Great food - it smells good in there too.---- Like good food
bigsexy920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:59 PM   #75
FAinPA
This Darkness Got to Give

FAinPA can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesFAinPA can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default TJ's and Whole Foods favorites

I have one thing at each store that I can't live without. Luckily there is a TJs and a WFs in the adjacent township to the one we reside in.

TJs: Australian Licorice (red)

WFs: Mountain Valley Spring water (sparkling mineral water in green GLASS bottles) from Hot Springs, Ark. the only place that carries it around here is WFs. There is a beverage distributor that sells it, too, but really far away. This water has been around forever and I honestly feel better after drinking a bottle. The mineral content is something special I guess.
FAinPA is offline   Reply With Quote