Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BBW Forum

Old 09-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
lozonloz

lozonloz knows EXACTLY what's going onlozonloz knows EXACTLY what's going onlozonloz knows EXACTLY what's going onlozonloz knows EXACTLY what's going onlozonloz knows EXACTLY what's going onlozonloz knows EXACTLY what's going onlozonloz knows EXACTLY what's going on
Default Does your self confidence offend others?

OK, so I'm chatting with my stepmother.

We... well we arent the best of friends, for various reasons I wont get into here, but during this conversation I felt were were having a real connection, actually managing to have a discussion about things we were passionate about and sharing our opinions, telling funny stories. Unfortunately the next day my brother takes me aside and says that last night I offended her and could I avoid the topic in future.

What topic, I ask?

The fat acceptance thing. She didnt like you mentoning it, like its a slur on her size or something.

...We talked about many things, including people wearing fur and vegetarianism, racism, political parties ect and I had no idea I had offended her as I didnt mention her size at any point. I mentioned only MY personal feelings about fat acceptance as a movement.

I have to admit that it irritated me as making self deprecating jokes about my size or talking about needing to lose some weight (not much though, I love being big!) has never got a negative reaction, so only talking about my weight in a positive, accepting light has made her feel so bad about herself she felt the need to ask my brother to keep me off the subject.

I also wondered if anyone else has had other large men or women react badly to their acceptance of themselves, and what they think the reason might be.

It seems a shame that by acting and behaving like the confident and outgoing person I have only recently learned to be, I can make others angry or upset.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
BBW4Chattery

BBW4Chattery is a member of the 500 clubBBW4Chattery is a member of the 500 clubBBW4Chattery is a member of the 500 clubBBW4Chattery is a member of the 500 clubBBW4Chattery is a member of the 500 clubBBW4Chattery is a member of the 500 club

Nah. I don't think so unless I've been too oblivious to notice. I have less self-confidence than my other big friends, though... they're so outgoing and out there. They make out with strangers and dress in super cute clothes and get cute hair cuts...

I hide... a lot.

I can say that when I did WW years ago and lost 90 lbs and referred to my former self as a "fat cow" it made a lot of overweight women upset... I wasn't allowed to talk about myself, at that size, in a negative way... b/c they saw that as a judgment on their size.
BBW4Chattery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

It's 50/50 with me, half the people I mean are totally into me being so openly Fat and confident, and half are put off by it. I live in a small town right smack dab in the middle of the bible belt Alabama, and it's normal to be fat here, we're surrounded by obese people, it's okay to be fat ..if A) you can't help it(older people it seems are just fat from being weary..or something? it's not there fault. or some medical reason), B) regret and understand that it's not attractive but thank god someone might love you for your shining spirit(and you do have a pretty face) C) Hate it. Despise it, let everyone know it. (god, do people love giving diet tips down here "Oh sugar, ever heard of the grapefruit diet...?")

I like being fat, I enjoy it immensely, it's my pal.
So when I go into places with that mind set ,and I seem to dress like a beacon of color most of the time, I get attention(not all bad, but not all good either), [looks stares,snickers etc] I don't get many actual remarks 'cause I think I look like more of a rough bitch than I am now, so I don't let it bother me. Now if I'm in a crowd of people I don't mind the shit water off a ducks back,eh? However if it's a smaller group I seem to just find the one asshole that things he/she can bring me down a notch. Doesn't work out that way really, 'cause they just end up lookin' like a douche, even if I don't take the bait, it's like. Really asshole?

I get shit a lot lately because of my closeted Gay friends are all so god damn hot and perfect and still so Southern Manly Men the bitches in town just don't get it, why I'm always there right in the middle of them and their perfection so I've gotten some pretty hateful shit said, and My Gays are now very happy to be thought of as chubby chasers, one even puts it on his facebook( wicked sense of humors ).

did I just veer of subject....
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
thirtiesgirl
frumious bandersnatch

thirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging in

Always. I was too busy chasing boys and telling stories when the "girls should always express themselves in a non-threatening way" lesson was taught.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:43 AM   #5
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

Yeah, but it has gone both ways.

I have had people tell me I was in denial and could not possibly love myself because of my size. That my attitude towards life was either a result of being apathetic, delusional, or putting on a false front to hide my inner self-loathing.

I have had people tell me I was really self-loathing and couldn't possibly actually love myself because I was cool with being fat, just not as fat as I was at that given point in time. Because it was an all or nothing thing with no middle ground when it came to "acceptance".

IMHO, it's all bullshit, regardless of what side of the judgement coin you fall on.

Tracy
Old 09-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #6
superodalisque

superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.

yes. i love my sister and we really have a great relationship now but she still just can't understand how i could like myself at this size. she has been small all of her life and is now getting just a few pounds over her usual and feels very uncomfortable. so sje just can't relate at all to how i feel. i've lost quite a bit lately and i told her i missed it. you should have seen the look n her face. i just let it go because i know in that sense she'll probably never understand who i am. i've finally decided that it doesn't make sense for me to even expect her to.

other women who are larger and feel horrible about it are not always comfortable with it when you like your size. its like its an indictment on their mindset when it isn't. its only that my size may be the right one for me. it doesn't have to mean it should be the right one for them. everyone is different.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:06 PM   #7
Dmitra
Drawing down the moonpie

Dmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions community

After years spent struggling with myself over being fat I've gotten to the point where if someone's offended by my being confident and refusing to participate in self-hatred and crazed diet mentality I'm thinking they can go fuck themselves. Instead of sitting back and listening uncritically to unwanted advice or anti-fat catechisms I've begun sharing relevant pieces of my journey to "I'm not perfect but I'm happy being me" land.
Dmitra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:28 PM   #8
spiritangel
AmandaClause

spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!

someone must be considering the bitch slapping someone has been trying to give me on formspring

shrugs their problem not mine

I have always been a confident person size isnt going to change that
Old 09-18-2010, 10:09 PM   #9
blubberismanly

blubberismanly can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesblubberismanly can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I don't offend people by my self confidence so much as a lack thereof.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:55 PM   #10
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I can't remember a time when someone (fat and thin) wasn't offended by my confidence. I've been told I'm too smart, too opinionated, too spirited and should keep my mouth shut and look pretty. I figured everyone was entitles to my opinion. Heh.

And for some reason people remember me as confident at times I know I wasn't. I've been called arrogant countless times too but that's usually what people call confidence in people they don't like anyway.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:18 AM   #11
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I've been called intimidating my entire adult life.

Sometimes it gets under my skin and I try to dial it down. Most of the time i'm just me and they can all live in fear. Haha.

Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:25 PM   #12
luscious_lulu
Boobzilla

luscious_lulu has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luscious_lulu has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luscious_lulu has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luscious_lulu has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luscious_lulu has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luscious_lulu has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luscious_lulu has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luscious_lulu has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luscious_lulu has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luscious_lulu has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luscious_lulu has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I was going to say of course not, but then I thought about it some more.

A couple of years ago I had a big blow out with my eldest sister. She freaked out about a halloween costume that I wore. She berated me and tried to make me feel ashamed for wearing something that showed my belly. It was one of a series of things she did to try and undermine my confidence.

Since then, I've had very little contact with her. I don't need that negativity and judgemental attitude in my life.
luscious_lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:57 PM   #13
aocutiepi
a beautiful mess.

aocutiepi never has a post go unnoticedaocutiepi never has a post go unnoticedaocutiepi never has a post go unnoticedaocutiepi never has a post go unnoticedaocutiepi never has a post go unnoticedaocutiepi never has a post go unnoticedaocutiepi never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
I can't remember a time when someone (fat and thin) wasn't offended by my confidence. I've been told I'm too smart, too opinionated, too spirited and should keep my mouth shut and look pretty. I figured everyone was entitles to my opinion. Heh.

And for some reason people remember me as confident at times I know I wasn't. I've been called arrogant countless times too but that's usually what people call confidence in people they don't like anyway.

This is the story of my life. It got to the point where I was proudly wearing a shirt that said "snob" on it because I figured I should just embrace the label--it took away it's power from the girl calling me one, immediately.

And now that I'm becoming more confident in my fatness as well as my other wonderful qualities those shouts of arrogant come loud and clear from a different sect--former female friends of mine who are also fat. I don't think they can fully wrap their minds around me loving me as I am. Especially the ones who weigh less than I do.

I'm sure that fat, thinner, and anywhere in between, I'm always going to be perceived as arrogant, snobbish, etc. I refuse to hang my head in shame for being who I am when who I am is pretty amazing.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #14
CarlaSixx
Just Another Weirdo

CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!

I don't consider myself a self confident person, but a lot of others have said that's how I come off. Quite a few guys have said it's been intimidating, and others have praised it. The only ones to really seem offended were family members.

I guess I could be considered self confident because I have a strong stance about what I'm willing and not willing to do and look like, and I style myself completely the way I want to. No trends, no fashion mag looks, etc. And I guess people see a fat girl with a bright coloured mohawk, tattoos, and clothes that aren't "on trend" as being self confident.

It confuses me, but I'm not going to argue it. It hasn't been found to be offensive from my experience but more a reason for people to watch me go by with their jaws on the floor. By the end of the day, they're the ones who will remember me and be talking about me, and not the other way around. I guess that's all that really matters. So long as you're being talked about, you're doing something right
CarlaSixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #15
superodalisque

superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post

i have to agree with this a great deal. its always a big problem if women seem to like themselves. in most cases i think it doesn't seem to benefit many aspects of the current culture to have self aware self accepting independent and intelligent women about asking questions and making demands for changes and equality whether its among other women or men.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #16
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'm an introvert [not shy] who's pretty secure in most areas of life, which has nothing to do with status in those areas.

I've found that a good number of people have said they're intimidated. I guess I don't see it, but I think it's more about their insecurities than anything. I plan to continue going forward with life. I spent plenty of time holding back because I was worried about making people feel badly when I had some success or blessings. Enough of that. And I'm sure some will say that, in and of itself, is snobby. Can't win.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:55 AM   #17
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aocutiepi View Post
This is the story of my life. It got to the point where I was proudly wearing a shirt that said "snob" on it because I figured I should just embrace the label--it took away it's power from the girl calling me one, immediately.

And now that I'm becoming more confident in my fatness as well as my other wonderful qualities those shouts of arrogant come loud and clear from a different sect--former female friends of mine who are also fat. I don't think they can fully wrap their minds around me loving me as I am. Especially the ones who weigh less than I do.

I'm sure that fat, thinner, and anywhere in between, I'm always going to be perceived as arrogant, snobbish, etc. I refuse to hang my head in shame for being who I am when who I am is pretty amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superodalisque View Post
i have to agree with this a great deal. its always a big problem if women seem to like themselves. in most cases i think it doesn't seem to benefit many aspects of the current culture to have self aware self accepting independent and intelligent women about asking questions and making demands for changes and equality whether its among other women or men.
My biggest critics have always been other women. Especially fat women. Meh.

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 09-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #18
Tau
IXAMXDECADENCE

Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tau has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

All the time. I embrace it now. I always think of that Jill Scott song - Hate on me haters I've been called deluded, ugly, vain, elitest, spoilt brat, arrogant bitch and it always, without fail, comes from the people who hate themselves most.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #19
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau View Post
All the time. I embrace it now. I always think of that Jill Scott song - Hate on me haters I've been called deluded, ugly, vain, elitest, spoilt brat, arrogant bitch and it always, without fail, comes from the people who hate themselves most.
I knew I liked, no...scratch that...LOVE you for a reason. Many reasons, in fact.

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 09-26-2010, 02:00 AM   #20
Fallenangel2904
Fat Fashionista

Fallenangel2904 makes people happy simply by logging inFallenangel2904 makes people happy simply by logging inFallenangel2904 makes people happy simply by logging inFallenangel2904 makes people happy simply by logging inFallenangel2904 makes people happy simply by logging inFallenangel2904 makes people happy simply by logging inFallenangel2904 makes people happy simply by logging inFallenangel2904 makes people happy simply by logging in

Sent you a PM
Fallenangel2904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:08 AM   #21
Christov
On Timeout

Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I offend everybody.
Christov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #22
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christov View Post
I offend everybody.
No you don't, sweetie.

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 09-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #23
AmazingAmy

AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmazingAmy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

My mum and oldest sister have issues with my attitude, but the reasons behind their 'concerns' are different. Mum takes it as me being uninformed about the dangers of being overweight, so gets upset when I appear 'not to care' about what she has to say; but my sister is just plain old offended by the confidence. She's overweight herself and can't deal with anyone being okay about it.
AmazingAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:29 AM   #24
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christov View Post
I offend everybody.
HP shut down?
mossystate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:53 PM   #25
b0nnie

b0nnie makes people happy simply by logging inb0nnie makes people happy simply by logging inb0nnie makes people happy simply by logging inb0nnie makes people happy simply by logging inb0nnie makes people happy simply by logging inb0nnie makes people happy simply by logging inb0nnie makes people happy simply by logging inb0nnie makes people happy simply by logging inb0nnie makes people happy simply by logging inb0nnie makes people happy simply by logging in

I'm not sure if it offends, but I know it does confuse people. My family is all a little overweight and they are always going on about how they need to lose some pounds and they tell me that we should all diet together. They donít understand when I say that I know I probably should lose weight but donít wanna cuz I like me how I am and how my body is.
b0nnie is offline   Reply With Quote