Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > FA/FFA forum

Old 09-26-2010, 06:50 AM   #1
ZainTheInsane

ZainTheInsane is a member of the 500 clubZainTheInsane is a member of the 500 clubZainTheInsane is a member of the 500 clubZainTheInsane is a member of the 500 clubZainTheInsane is a member of the 500 clubZainTheInsane is a member of the 500 club
Default Fat and Fit

Is it possible to be fat and fit at the same time?
ZainTheInsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:15 AM   #2
blubberismanly

blubberismanly can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesblubberismanly can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Question

You mean like a musclechub? That's about as close as it gets. Fat fills chiseled corners.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
thirtiesgirl
frumious bandersnatch

thirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging in

Yes. I know several fat people who have low blood pressure, cholesterol and triglycerides, have good physical mobility and flexibility, and like to participate in daily physical activity like yoga, walking, swimming, running, handball and dancing. Judging a person's health and physical activity simply by what they look like is like trying to judge the size of someone's bank account by the clothes on their back.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
blubberismanly

blubberismanly can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesblubberismanly can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Hold on--I thought "fit" referred to the image of being "in shape." "Health," to me, is much more broad as far as image is concerned. Maybe I'm being too literal?
Old 09-26-2010, 08:40 AM   #5
thirtiesgirl
frumious bandersnatch

thirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubberismanly View Post
Hold on--I thought "fit" referred to the image of being "in shape." "Health," to me, is much more broad as far as image is concerned. Maybe I'm being too literal?
I don't use the word 'fit' to refer to body shape. I use it to refer to overall health. I don't describe people who have thinner body shapes with obvious musculature as 'fit,' because their body shape and obvious musculature isn't necessarily an indication of good health.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #6
bigpulve

bigpulve can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesbigpulve can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Depends on what your definition of fit is.

I have normal bp, low cholesteral, can almost put my palms on the ground bending down, exercise 90 minutes a day 5ish days a week, Can run a mile no problem....
Old 09-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
joswitch
Exile from Main Board

joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpulve View Post
Depends on what your definition of fit is.

I have normal bp, low cholesteral, can almost put my palms on the ground bending down, exercise 90 minutes a day 5ish days a week, Can run a mile no problem....
^Yep. That = fit. As in cardiovascularly and generally physically healthy and functional.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
joswitch
Exile from Main Board

joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtiesgirl View Post
Yes. I know several fat people who have low blood pressure, cholesterol and triglycerides, have good physical mobility and flexibility, and like to participate in daily physical activity like yoga, walking, swimming, running, handball and dancing. Judging a person's health and physical activity simply by what they look like is like trying to judge the size of someone's bank account by the clothes on their back.
^I approve of this post.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:38 PM   #9
furious styles
goodbye halcyon days

furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!

nope, obviously impossible
I wish there was a board called: Let's Just All Be Fucking Honest With Each Other For Five Minutes.
furious styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:01 PM   #10
Bearsy
Genuinely Disingenuous

Bearsy makes people happy simply by logging inBearsy makes people happy simply by logging inBearsy makes people happy simply by logging inBearsy makes people happy simply by logging inBearsy makes people happy simply by logging inBearsy makes people happy simply by logging inBearsy makes people happy simply by logging inBearsy makes people happy simply by logging inBearsy makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtiesgirl View Post
I'm much slower than normal people and I sweat a lot even when I'm inactive, but other than those points, this is me. I'm healthy as a horse, aside from being ~480lbs. Sometimes my back/legs hurt, but I'm sure that happens with anyone from time to time.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #11
Forgotten_Futures
The *other* Holy Trinity

Forgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging in

Certainly possible. Easier, of course, to be fit and stay fit as one gains, but not impossible to achieve when already fat.

I can't recall where I saw it, but I seem to remember seeing a study once that suggested being fit and *not* thin actually was better than thin, or fit *and* thin, due to certain factors of how the human body processes and body fat correlate. More notably for females than males, though.

tldr: Yes, and it's a good thing = P
Old 09-26-2010, 05:12 PM   #12
orin

orin can now change their title

It is possible ....

you can have a really fit fat person who just does not eat right, but exercise and has great endurance and health metrics like blood pressure and all that but just cant keep the weight off because of their diet
orin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:04 PM   #13
gobettiepurple
I'm your huckleberry

gobettiepurple knows EXACTLY what's going ongobettiepurple knows EXACTLY what's going ongobettiepurple knows EXACTLY what's going ongobettiepurple knows EXACTLY what's going ongobettiepurple knows EXACTLY what's going ongobettiepurple knows EXACTLY what's going ongobettiepurple knows EXACTLY what's going on

i know a ton of thin people who live totally unhealthy lifestyles . . .

plus, i have always been "active" and bigger. I think it depends on your activity level - how much you get out there and move!
Old 09-27-2010, 01:38 AM   #14
mccormick

mccormick is a member of the 500 clubmccormick is a member of the 500 clubmccormick is a member of the 500 clubmccormick is a member of the 500 clubmccormick is a member of the 500 clubmccormick is a member of the 500 club

I am one of these people.

mccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:15 AM   #15
FatAndProud

FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccormick View Post

I am in love
FatAndProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #16
fat hiker

fat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZainTheInsane View Post
Is it possible to be fat and fit at the same time?
Absolutely - much depends on your genetics, but there certainly are people, even Olympic athletes, who have cardiovascular fitness, strength, and size and fat too.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:26 PM   #17
lishiyo

lishiyo has said some nice things

My roommate's fat (size 22+) and she's insanely fit and healthy. She runs every day, figure skates every week, and goes mountain climbing during breaks. Also a vegan who eats really healthily, low-fat, low-carb, whole foods etc. The only condition she has is PCOS, but any woman can get that (I got PCOS when I was under 100 lbs and running three miles a day).

My mom's side of the family is pretty much the only naturally fat and large-boned Chinese family I've ever seen (seriously, they were fat during the Great Famine when no one had anything to eat), and they have insanely healthy genes. My obese grandma's over 70 and she still walks 10+ miles a day and goes sightseeing all the time. She's never had a health problem in her life, not even a cold. We don't even have a nearsighted person on my mom's side, which is pretty rare for China. (Now, my predominately underweight dad's side of the family on the other hand....high bp, diabetes, neuropathy, stomach cancer, deafness, the works!)

Me, I'm average-sized and hilariously unfit, but I'm blessed with the stamina/easy muscularity from my mom's side. I've walked 15+ miles a day in three-inch heels before without problems. (Wouldn't recommend it though )
lishiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:42 AM   #18
Fox

Fox is a member of the 500 clubFox is a member of the 500 clubFox is a member of the 500 clubFox is a member of the 500 clubFox is a member of the 500 clubFox is a member of the 500 club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccormick View Post

That's hawt.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:25 PM   #19
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

You can be fit and fat up to a point. At the present time I weigh about 330 pounds and am NOT fit even though all my medical numbers are good. For me I don't think its possible to be fit if I weigh more than 280 pounds (I'm 6'4").
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:33 PM   #20
bigpulve

bigpulve can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesbigpulve can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Im 285 and consider myself very athletic and fit. Not necessarily where I want to be body composition wise, but fit not the less.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:43 AM   #21
Webmaster
Chief Emeritus

Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.

"Fit" is relative. A very fit fat person may not necessarily be able to do all the same stuff an unfit thin person can do, but s/he'll be better off anyway. As far as I am concerned, "fit" means pursuing a common-sense healthy lifestyle, including whatever exercise suits a person best.
Webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #22
Aurora
Kushy Curves

Aurora makes people happy simply by logging inAurora makes people happy simply by logging inAurora makes people happy simply by logging inAurora makes people happy simply by logging inAurora makes people happy simply by logging inAurora makes people happy simply by logging inAurora makes people happy simply by logging inAurora makes people happy simply by logging inAurora makes people happy simply by logging inAurora makes people happy simply by logging in

I'm working on it. Hiking when I can, being active, eating well. I have some medical issues I'm trying to get straightened out. Pain in the arse.

I also agree with the response that thin does not equal fit. I think as long as a person exercises and eats well he/she can be fit at almost any size. I say almost because once you reach a certain size you're physically unable to do enough activity to keep yourself healthy, and that certain size is going to be different for everyone.
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:01 PM   #23
joswitch
Exile from Main Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
I'm working on it. Hiking when I can, being active, eating well. I have some medical issues I'm trying to get straightened out. Pain in the arse.

I also agree with the response that thin does not equal fit. I think as long as a person exercises and eats well he/she can be fit at almost any size. I say almost because once you reach a certain size you're physically unable to do enough activity to keep yourself healthy, and that certain size is going to be different for everyone.
You = hott hiker!

Also: on the flip side, I know plenty of 'orribly unfit, smoking, poor food choices, poor stamina, low strength, ill health people who are THIN!

No, really!
Old 09-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #24
LoveBHMS
default title

LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!

Whether or not thin people are unhealthy is never relevent. Ever.

I can say that non-smokers get lung cancer but that hasn't got anything to do with the fact that smoking causes cancer.

I can point out that you can break your leg if you've never skied, but it doesn't mean that skiing doesn't put you at risk of injury.

So if you want to have a discussion about whether or not being fat can coincide with being healthy, there is no point to saying that thin folks can get sick.
LoveBHMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #25
calauria
La Negra Hermosa

calauria makes people happy simply by logging incalauria makes people happy simply by logging incalauria makes people happy simply by logging incalauria makes people happy simply by logging incalauria makes people happy simply by logging incalauria makes people happy simply by logging incalauria makes people happy simply by logging incalauria makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatAndProud View Post
I am in love
Me too!! Wow!!!