Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 07-31-2015, 12:34 AM   #251
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca23v2 View Post
Dro.. look..

Free Root Beer Float at A&W (8/6)

Celebrate National Root Beer Float Day with a free small root beer float at A&W Restaurants from 2pm to closing on Thursday, August 6th. Find an A&W near you.
Hmmmmmm.... Thank you for the heads up!
Dromond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:56 PM   #252
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

So I tried a new root beer today, and had I read some of the previous reviews from a year and a half ago, I would have made a better choice. The Brownie Caramel Cream Root Beer was not it. I agree with Dromond; it's oddly medicinal tasting, plus the caramel makes it too sweet, and the cream reminds me of a root beer float without any of the wonderful elements that adding ice cream would bring to it. It was weird. I'd intended to use up the last of the ice cream by making a float, but I figured it would be too sweet and overkill on the cream factor. I did it anyway, and it got better. It was still too sweet for me, but less medicinal and more like a float that fans of cream soda might enjoy.

I wouldn't buy it again but will go back for the Maine Root I should have bought instead.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:50 PM   #253
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Coney Island Brewing Company (basically Sam Adams) Hard Root Beer. 5.9% abv, I'm not sure if it is brewed or if they just add malt liquor but they call it an ale so I assume it brewed. It's cloyingly sweet, but interesting.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:22 AM   #254
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm going to have to confess that I don't have the faintest idea what root beer is. But if it tastes like regular beer, I will definitely hate it.
loopytheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:30 AM   #255
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Root beer is a soda/pop like sasparilla or ginger ale/ginger beer. Typically no alcohol in it. Sweet flavor with vanilla and sassafrass or sasparilla.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2015, 03:52 AM   #256
balletguy

balletguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging in

Not Your Fathers Root Beer. It's a great beer that tastes like Root Beer
balletguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:43 AM   #257
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

Not your fathers root beer got a slightly higher rating on beer advocate than coney island, may try it. Though it is also supposed to be very sweet. I got some hard ginger beer that was great a while back. Not very sweet but spicy from a lot of ginger, which I liked.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:12 AM   #258
balletguy

balletguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging in

Cooney Island was tasty as well. I tried it with some ice cream the other day it was great
balletguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:15 PM   #259
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwesterny View Post
Root beer is a soda/pop like sasparilla or ginger ale/ginger beer. Typically no alcohol in it. Sweet flavor with vanilla and sassafrass or sasparilla.

Ah, okay, thank you! So it is ginger flavoured?
Old 08-22-2015, 02:22 PM   #260
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopytheone View Post
No ginger in it, just similar in that it is a spiced soda. It has a vanilla and ummm imagine anise but like mellow. Sassafras is anise that has smoked some weed and chilled out. Not sharp at all and not spicy like ginger.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:58 AM   #261
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
There is a ginger flavored beverage known as ginger beer, but it is a different beast, a distant cousin of root beer. Root beer is called "beer" because it is a fermented beverage flavored by various roots and other spices. Although it is a fermented beverage, it is non-alcoholic... usually. If you let it ferment long enough, it will become a hard beverage.

The Prohibition era here in the United States is the reason root beer is such a thing here. When alcohol was outlawed, brewing companies turned to making root beer to stay in business. The process for making root beer is the same as making beer, though they are very different beverages, and uses the same equipment. Root beer is not like other soft drinks, at least proper root beer isn't.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:39 PM   #262
loopytheone
Administrator

Quote:
No ginger in it, just similar in that it is a spiced soda. It has a vanilla and ummm imagine anise but like mellow. Sassafras is anise that has smoked some weed and chilled out. Not sharp at all and not spicy like ginger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
There is a ginger flavored beverage known as ginger beer, but it is a different beast, a distant cousin of root beer. Root beer is called "beer" because it is a fermented beverage flavored by various roots and other spices. Although it is a fermented beverage, it is non-alcoholic... usually. If you let it ferment long enough, it will become a hard beverage.

The Prohibition era here in the United States is the reason root beer is such a thing here. When alcohol was outlawed, brewing companies turned to making root beer to stay in business. The process for making root beer is the same as making beer, though they are very different beverages, and uses the same equipment. Root beer is not like other soft drinks, at least proper root beer isn't.
Ah, okay, thanks for the explanation! As long as it isn't actually ginger flavoured, it might be nice!
Old 08-23-2015, 12:53 PM   #263
Amaranthine
Adamant Anti-Nihilist

Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Ah, okay, thanks for the explanation! As long as it isn't actually ginger flavoured, it might be nice!
The closest thing I can think of to compare it to there is Dandelion and Burdock soda, if you've ever had that.

Some popular brands here (IE: A&W) are more like a somewhat-more-complex cream soda...but I don't know if you have cream soda there either. Not so much the case with craft root beer.

At the very least, I can promise it is less peculiar than Irn-Bru.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:19 PM   #264
Dromond
Old school

I've had Dandelion and Burdock, and the comparison isn't a very good one. Root beer, birch beer, and sarsaparilla are similar drinks, but nothing else really comes close.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:25 PM   #265
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

Quote:
I've had Dandelion and Burdock, and the comparison isn't a very good one. Root beer, birch beer, and sarsaparilla are similar drinks, but nothing else really comes close.
YEAH! What were you thinking? What kind of depraved mind compares Dandelion Burdock Soda to root beer?

I had dandelion beer once, they use it instead of hops as a bittering agent. It was very good.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:20 AM   #266
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

One thing they say is wintergreen is often used as a flavor substitute for root beer. I found that surprising.

Also according to Wikipedia Burdock and Dandelion is similar in flavor to sassparilla, which I always thought in turn similar to root beer.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:59 PM   #267
Rojodi

Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
One thing they say is wintergreen is often used as a flavor substitute for root beer. I found that surprising.

Also according to Wikipedia Burdock and Dandelion is similar in flavor to sassparilla, which I always thought in turn similar to root beer.

In the family cookbook, wintergreen was used, because "It helped reduce gas."
Old 08-24-2015, 02:04 PM   #268
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojodi View Post
In the family cookbook, wintergreen was used, because "It helped reduce gas."
Well a lot these drinks were originally supposed to be medicinal. All the bark and whatnot.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:53 PM   #269
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I find it amusing that diet A&W root beer (which I think is delicious) makes a big deal on the packaging that it includes "aged vanilla". However, vanilla is not listed in the ingredients.
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:28 PM   #270
Dromond
Old school

That's because the "aged vanilla" is more accurately called "artificial flavoring."
Old 10-04-2015, 11:28 PM   #271
Dromond
Old school

I'm writing a new soda review for the first time in ages, and it isn't about root beer. I'm reviewing Cicero Beverage Company Candied Bacon Creme Soda.

I'm writing this review in real time, so you are getting my impressions as they happen. I'm also going to say up front I expect this soda to taste very dire. I'm expecting a gut wrenching experience, and anything north of that will be a pleasant surprise. Why am I doing this, you ask? So you don't have to. I'm just that generous. Or stupid.

First to examine the bottle. Real sugar, which is good. But the old bugaboo "artificial flavors" rears it's ugly and unwelcome head.

Off comes the cap. The first sniff gives me a very weird impression. A second sniff confirms the first. I can't quite describe what it smells like... the cloying impression I get is not a good sign.

Pouring it into a glass reveals the lack of head one would expect from a creme soda. The smell is almost overwhelming. The soda itself is much darker than a vanilla creme soda, being almost translucent brown.

Now here is where rubber meets road. How does it taste?

This may well be the worst thing I have ever put in my mouth. There is the taste of vanilla, but it doesn't stand a chance against the blitzkrieg of bitterly medicinal smoke flavor. The flavor of bacon, if it is present at all, is utterly lost. The stringent smoke overtone assaults the senses, eradicating anything that would be worth drinking here. I said I expected dire. I didn't get dire. I got vile. Wretched. Hideous. A horror show of appalling flavors.

AVOID THIS AT ALL COSTS! SAVE YOURSELVES!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151005_243853167a.jpg (96.9 KB, 66 views)
Old 10-05-2015, 05:39 AM   #272
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Fun! (For us).

Have you tried the Jones soda holiday gift packs? With flavors like gravy, holiday ham, etc? Similar experiences.
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
Old 10-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #273
Dromond
Old school

I have not and I will not. A man can only take so much.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:15 PM   #274
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Quote:
I have not and I will not. A man can only take so much.
Smart man!
Old 10-19-2015, 05:38 PM   #275
Dromond
Old school

The next installment of Real Time Reviews of Soft Drinks that are Not Root Beer

This time it is Flying Cauldron Butterscotch Beer (non-alcoholic). It's actually a cream soda, not a beer. So much for truth in labeling. Speaking of labels, the label looks like a beer label. I wouldn't have known it wasn't a beer product if it hadn't been located with specialty soft drinks in the grocery store.

Taking off the cap and sniffing reveals a dominating butterscotch smell. Truthfully, butterscotch is the only thing I can smell here. It's very strong.
Pouring reveals it to have no head at all. Cream soda typically doesn't foam up much, but it usually has at least a little. The color is a pale amber, as one would expect from a vanilla cream soda. The dominating butterscotch smell is not mitigated by pouring.

The taste is... one dimensional. Butterscotch in all phases of the palate. The initial hit, the peak of flavor, and the finish are all butterscotch all the time. It's incredibly sweet, also. It has very anemic carbonation, which is a shame. A carbonic burn would have broken up the monotonously sweet butterscotch flavor.

In conclusion, the flavor is like putting a handful of butterscotch hard candy in your mouth. I've tasted worse, but about the best thing I can say for it is, you won't gag. It isn't worth buying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151019_190557350.jpg (111.9 KB, 40 views)