Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 02-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #176
BullseyeB

BullseyeB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BullseyeB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BullseyeB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BullseyeB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BullseyeB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BullseyeB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BullseyeB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BullseyeB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BullseyeB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BullseyeB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BullseyeB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post

Apparently its not for girls..
Hey Fuzzy,

How does this taste? Can you check for me and let me know what it is sweetened with? Is there Aspartame?

Thanks,

BullseyeB
Old 02-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #177
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullseyeB View Post
Hey Fuzzy,

How does this taste? Can you check for me and let me know what it is sweetened with? Is there Aspartame?

Thanks,

BullseyeB
The Walmart here carries the A&W 10, 7-up 10, and the Sunkist 10. I have yet to see the RC Cola 10. I can't taste the difference between A&W 10 and Regular.

It is sweetened with high fructose corn syrup, aspartame, and acesulfame potassium.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #178
BullseyeB

BullseyeB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BullseyeB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BullseyeB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BullseyeB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BullseyeB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BullseyeB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BullseyeB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BullseyeB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BullseyeB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BullseyeB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BullseyeB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
The Walmart here carries the A&W 10, 7-up 10, and the Sunkist 10. I have yet to see the RC Cola 10. I can't taste the difference between A&W 10 and Regular.

It is sweetened with high fructose corn syrup, aspartame, and acesulfame potassium.
Dang it!!!

Thanks anyway.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:23 AM   #179
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

A root beer candy for me to love!

Claey's candies are great. The root beer has a nicely satisfying flavor. It's a pretty standard root beer taste, no surprises, but the traditional root beer flavor is well represented. You can sometimes find them at Walmart, and you can also sometimes find them in dollar stores. If you can't find them locally, you can always order from online. This candy is worth it.

Last edited by Dromond; 03-05-2013 at 02:25 AM.
Dromond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #180
BullseyeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromond View Post

Claey's candies are great. The root beer has a nicely satisfying flavor. It's a pretty standard root beer taste, no surprises, but the traditional root beer flavor is well represented. You can sometimes find them at Walmart, and you can also sometimes find them in dollar stores. If you can't find them locally, you can always order from online. This candy is worth it.

Thanks for the tip! Yum!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #181
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:

Apparently its not for girls..
off topic, but love the stormtrooper in the background

And i picked up a 2 liter of the 10cal stuff haven't tried it yet. I'll pour some when i get around to eating dinner
Old 03-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #182
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I got some sarsaparilla flavoring. Ordered a soda stream machine too. I will see how homemade root beer tastes.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:09 AM   #183
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm curious what you'll use for a liquid sweetener, diet or regular.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #184
Deven
Wendigo

Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:

My grandpop and I used to love A&W Rootbeer barrels. Reminds me of the days on the farm... sweet, sweet memories (and it makes me miss Pop Pop something fierce!)
Old 04-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #185
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Being broke and craving root beer, I stopped in at Walgreen's and picked up a 20 oz bottle of their house brand ("Nice!" is their house brand name) root beer for a buck.

Lesson learned: You get what you pay for.

It wasn't the worst tasting root beer I've ever had, but it wasn't pleasant. The only thing really going for it is a good head. Nice and foamy. It didn't have much of a nose. That usually means flavor is lacking, but not in this case. The carbonation was harsh, giving a solid burn in the first second of drinking, after which the flavor was able to come through. Rather bitter, not creamy at all, and even lacking the cloying feeling that usually comes from HCFS sweetener. It had all the mouthfeel of mouthwash. The peak of flavor finally hit the familiar root beery note, but it was transitory. The aftertaste took over and brutally murdered whatever root beer flavor there might have been. The after taste can best be described as astringent. Thankfully, the aftertaste didn't linger long. The aftertaste quickly faded into a lingering tickle in the back of the throat. That tickle suggests phosphoric acid.

I tossed the rest of the bottle. Do not make my mistake. Stay away from the appallingly misnamed Nice! root beer.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #186
BullseyeB

Great description, Dro! Thanks for the heads up!

Mmmmm...rootbeer...
Old 04-29-2013, 02:44 AM   #187
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

I had my first bottle of craft-brewed root beer. From Kat-Bird Soda Company in Bastrop, TX. The ingredients are: Filtered water, cane sugar, brown sugar, sassafrass root bark oil, burdock root, sarsaparilla root, star anise, and licorice root.

It was only lightly carbonated, so little to no foam. But the flavor was incredible. Very creamy and smooth with a distinct root beer flavor. And I could taste the little something extra from the brown sugar. A faint burnt-sugar caramel taste in the background. It's there in the aroma too. After I finished it, I kept sniffing the bottle! While I was drinking it, I kept thinking that it tasted like I remembered root beer tasting in the 1970's.

Whenever I am anywhere near Bastrop, I'll make a point to swing by the Producer's Market to buy more.

Tracy
Old 04-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #188
Dromond
Old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyarts View Post
I had my first bottle of craft-brewed root beer. From Kat-Bird Soda Company in Bastrop, TX. The ingredients are: Filtered water, cane sugar, brown sugar, sassafrass root bark oil, burdock root, sarsaparilla root, star anise, and licorice root.

It was only lightly carbonated, so little to no foam. But the flavor was incredible. Very creamy and smooth with a distinct root beer flavor. And I could taste the little something extra from the brown sugar. A faint burnt-sugar caramel taste in the background. It's there in the aroma too. After I finished it, I kept sniffing the bottle! While I was drinking it, I kept thinking that it tasted like I remembered root beer tasting in the 1970's.

Whenever I am anywhere near Bastrop, I'll make a point to swing by the Producer's Market to buy more.

Tracy
It sounds amazing. Fermented root beers have less carbonation than the factory produced brands, because the carbonation comes solely from yeast action, rather than injection of carbon dioxide gas. Also, much of the carbonation produced escapes when the product is handled. Still, fermented craft root beers have a subtlety of flavor that the big brands can't match.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #189
snuggletiger
Clowns Fear Me

snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Being broke and craving root beer, I stopped in at Walgreen's and picked up a 20 oz bottle of their house brand ("Nice!" is their house brand name) root beer for a buck.

It wasn't the worst tasting root beer I've ever had, but it wasn't pleasant. The only thing really going for it is a good head. Nice and foamy. It didn't have much of a nose. That usually means flavor is lacking, but not in this case. The carbonation was harsh, giving a solid burn in the first second of drinking, after which the flavor was able to come through. Rather bitter, not creamy at all, and even lacking the cloying feeling that usually comes from HCFS sweetener. It had all the mouthfeel of mouthwash. The peak of flavor finally hit the familiar root beery note, but it was transitory. The aftertaste took over and brutally murdered whatever root beer flavor there might have been. The after taste can best be described as astringent. Thankfully, the aftertaste didn't linger long. The aftertaste quickly faded into a lingering tickle in the back of the throat. That tickle suggests phosphoric acid.

I tossed the rest of the bottle. Do not make my mistake. Stay away from the appallingly misnamed Nice! root beer.
wow Nice! wasn't nice. *scribbles note to self : Skip Walgreen" which is odd considering Walgreen has those root beer barrel candies.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:38 AM   #190
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

I had been contemplating the Nice! brand, but my hand grabs something else each time. I have high confidence in your reviews, and will take heed.

Quote:

Old 05-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #191
fat9276

fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I am not big on pizza but if I have it, I have to have root beer with it... last time I went to this swanky pizza place, they did not serve root beer. It just wasn't the same :/

I am so proud to be a root beer snob. My Dad taught me the love of root beer and sarsaparillas from when I was a kid. The man is a straight up root beer connoisseur. One time on a road trip to my Granny's, he took a long route through Kansas City just to find a good sarsaparilla he had hear about haha.

I haven't found a new truly good root beer in a long while now, boo.

I need a root beer. It's good for the soul
fat9276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #192
Dromond
Old school

I've been in a root beer drought also. It's very disheartening.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #193
fat9276

fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Sooo, I found this today at Whole Foods (their only other option is their store 365 brand which I was not impressed with). I do not think this has been reviewed before but please correct me if I am wrong.

It has a list of ingredients that make is sound delightful... bourbon vanilla, anise, sarsaparilla and some of the oils you find in others... wintergreen, licorice, birch...

I was bummed to see no honey listed but whatever.

I must say, I was disappointed. Boo. It was sharp, pretty sweet, not much spice, barely any creaminess and no head/foam until you poured it out hard and it disappeared pretty fast. I have decided it has to be creamier and have a good strong foam right from the top coming off or I am like meh.

It was not cheap so another boo. Gonna just stick to my good ol' Henry Weinhard

Last edited by fat9276; 01-27-2014 at 01:08 PM.
fat9276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #194
Dromond
Old school

I've tried Natural Brew, and I agree with your review. Definitely NOT worth the price.

But I never reviewed it, so good job sounding the alarm. I'm just sorry you had to experience a bad rootie.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #195
Dromond
Old school

I just cracked open a bottle of Stewart's Root Beer expecting the usual root beery goodness, and instead got a watery mess that was overly carbonated, weakly flavored, and had an aftertaste that reminded me of cough medicine. What the hell!
Old 06-19-2013, 11:28 PM   #196
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

The diet root beer flavoring sample provided in the multi-sample pack for the Sodastream soda maker is awful.

The diet ginger beer is almost as bad. Bleah.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #197
BullseyeB

Fuzzy,

Is anything about the Sodastream any good? I just wonder if it can really hold up against a real Pepsi or Coke, for example.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #198
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I love making the Crystal Light energy drink with a little extra lemonade syrup with my Soda Stream. There are a variety of colas that are pretty darned good too. I am not a regular soda drinker though. It's a once in a while treat for me. The kids LOVE the koolaid brand syrups too.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #199
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottiMegan View Post
I love making the Crystal Light energy drink with a little extra lemonade syrup with my Soda Stream. There are a variety of colas that are pretty darned good too. I am not a regular soda drinker though. It's a once in a while treat for me. The kids LOVE the koolaid brand syrups too.
I like using a full measure of the Diet Fountain Mist (Diet Dew), and a 1/4 measure of the Crystal light lemonade. Its the closest I can get to a real diet dew.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #200
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullseyeB View Post
Fuzzy,

Is anything about the Sodastream any good? I just wonder if it can really hold up against a real Pepsi or Coke, for example.
Pros: No Aspartame. No excess aluminum cans/plastic bottles. The CO2 canister can be exchanged almost everywhere (but I choose Walmart since its closest).

Cons: Its not Coke, and its not Diet Coke. I'm not a fan of Diet Pepsi so I can't say about that. That said, the other flavors are close, and you're free to mix suicides if you want. I'm just about to buy a 1 gallon box of Diet Dr Pepper syrup off of Amazon because Diet Dr. Pete is just like Diet Dr. Thunder. (Bleah.) However if you go that route, you'll need a custom valve to drain the bag and the ratio is different.

SodaStream syrup is about 23 to 1, while soda fountain syrups are 5 to 1. So I'd have to use about 6oz of syrup per 1 liter water. But you're right, if its not Coke, its something else.