Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 10-04-2010, 03:02 AM   #1
Emma
On Timeout

Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default October Foodee challenge.

Thanks to everyone for voting for me. This makes me a happy panda.

After watching a lot of Man Vs Food I've recently become a little bit obsessed with the cuisine of the southern united states so I thought I'd use this opportunity to sample some of your favourite recipes. And you thought I was going to do something halloweeny :P

Please enter your southern cuisine recipes by the 26th of Oct and I will start up a poll.

Dec - Oranges

Jan - Cream Cheese
Feb - Soda pop
Mar - Recipes containing a can of soup
Apr - Shrimp
May - Eggs
Jun - Liquor
Jul - Pasta/couscous etc Salads
Aug - Zucchini
Sep - Quick breads / Muffins
Oct - Cheese
Nov - Cranberries
Dec - Fudge

Jan - Slow Cooker Recipes
Feb - Potatoes
Mar - Garlic and Mushrooms
Apr - Chicken
May - Lemons
Jun - 30 min Hot Weather Recipes
Jul - Preserves - Jams, Chutneys, Relishes etc
Aug - Coffee
Sep - Tofu / Cottage Cheese
October - Pumpkin
November - Sweet Potatoes/Yams
December - Mint

January - Soup
February - Pork
March-Mexican Food
April - Cereal
May- Berries
June-Yogurt
July - Corn
August - Asian
September - Breakfast foods
October - Nuts
November - Onions
December - Meat in Casings

January - Side Salads
February - Spinach
March - Beans
April-hot sandwiches
May-Soy Sauce
June - cookies
July - Sour Cream
August - (Summer Break)
Sept - BBQ Foods.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
succubus_dxb
Badonk. Adonk.

succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

oooh, I would enter my PawPaws' gumbo recipe, but I'd have to kill you.

Really looking forward to these!
Old 10-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
Emma
On Timeout

Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by succubus_dxb View Post
oooh, I would enter my PawPaws' gumbo recipe, but I'd have to kill you.

Really looking forward to these!
If its as good as you say it is, then it might be worth it
Old 10-04-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Oh, looks like I'm gonna have to go digging in Mamas recipe box for some Southern awesomness!
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
Emma
On Timeout

Get diggin' don't make me be the first with no entries.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
succubus_dxb
Badonk. Adonk.

succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurvyEm View Post
If its as good as you say it is, then it might be worth it
i'm too sore to share it- i have a gas stove, therefore can't leave it simmering, and can't make it
Old 10-05-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

There are so many southern styles... cuisines.. bar-be-ques.. things with fish... decisions.. decisions..
Old 10-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #8
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Chicken Fried Steak

1/2-3/4 cup milk, in a saucer (optional)
2 eggs, beaten, in a separate bowl
1/2-3/4 cup bread crumbs, in a separate bowl
Seasoned flour, on a separate plate (see below)
4 cube steaks
oil or shortening for frying

Using one steak at a time, dip in milk to moisten (optional), dredge in seasoned flour, dip in egg, and dredge in bread crumbs. (if the tips your fingers aren't covered in milk, flour, eggs, and bread crumbs, you're doing it wrong). Place at once in heated skillet.

Fry in hot oil until browned, turning once. (amount of oil is up to you, I like to use a 1/2 cup in an electric skillet). Serve with the gravy of your choice.

Seasoned flour:
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon Lawry's seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon celery salt (or beau monde)
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Mix well.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:29 AM   #9
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Fried Green Tomatoes (I was amazed at first when a Southern friend of mine said they really were a dish and not just the name of a movie)

Very easy recipe.

Slice green tomatoes about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick
Dip slices in beaten egg
Dredge through corn flour
Fry in skillet with butter, with salt and pepper to taste

pat dry and serve hot.

Haven't made them for a while, but looooved them.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi
BBW Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:10 PM   #10
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Let me add a footnote to the green tomato recipe: lay the slices of tomato on a paper towel when you have cut them; put another paper towel on top and a plate on top of that, and leave them for five minutes or so. If you don't press out some of their moisture, the eggs, flour, and bread crumbs won't stick to them!
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default sweet potato-pecan pie

Two of the South's favorite desserts are sweet potato pie and pecan pie. Now you don't have to choose between them!

1 cup cooked, mashed sweet potato
1 Tbsp butter, softened
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 beaten egg
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp whipping cream

1/2 cup chopped pecans

3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup dark corn syrup
1 1/2 Tbsp melted butter
pinch of salt
pinch of ground cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla extract

1 9-inch commercial pie shell (or substitute your favorite crust recipe)

Combine first 11 ingredients; beat at medium speed of an electric mixer until smooth. Spread on bottom of pie shell; sprinkle with pecans. Combine next 7 ingredients, beating well. Pour over pecans. Bake at 300 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. Let cool.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:15 AM   #12
Emma
On Timeout

Thanks for the entries so far. Just a quick reminder that there are only 3 days left to enter so if you want to enter get your entries in soon.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #13
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I think EvilPrincess needs to post a recipe!!
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote