Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 10-29-2010, 06:32 PM   #26
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I could spend days on this thread... and I probably will

Breakfast cereals I miss: C.W.Post (the "Super-Sugar" Granola) and Buc-Wheats (Like Wheaties, with a maple-y syrup drizzled on). And all the Original Sugar cereals before they were re-formulated in the 80s: Super Sugar Crisp, Sugar Frosted Flakes, Apple Jacks, Fruit Loops, Cocoa Pebbles, etc, etc.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:37 PM   #27
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default The Marathon Bar

If you were a kid in the 70s, you should remember this ultra-chewy braid of caramel and chocolate. If you left it in the sun for 5 seconds, it was better used as ice cream topping. Part of the gimmick was that the bar was a foot long, they even put a ruler on the back showing that it was 12 inches of chewy goodness.

Cadbury makes a bar just like it called the Curly Wurly, but I've never been able to find it.

Last edited by Fuzzy; 10-29-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:46 PM   #28
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Default Hormel Frank n Stuff

Not even images.google.com is going to help me here

Also in the 80s, Hormel made a hollow hot-dog, and stuffed it with hormel chili. It was the lazy-man's chili dog. I was probably the sole customer for the product.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:07 AM   #29
isamarie69
Live and let die!!!

isamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post

If you were a kid in the 70s, you should remember this ultra-chewy braid of caramel and chocolate. If you left it in the sun for 5 seconds, it was better used as ice cream topping. Part of the gimmick was that the bar was a foot long, they even put a ruler on the back showing that it was 12 inches of chewy goodness.

Cadbury makes a bar just like it called the Curly Wurly, but I've never been able to find it.
OMG YES! And Flicks and that chocolite? the one with air bubbles.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:07 AM   #30
cinnamitch
nope

cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:

Marathon John was John Wayne's son Patrick.( Just thought i would toss out a bit of trivia)
cinnamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:13 PM   #31
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Default McDonalds Favorites

Yeah, it was the same burger has the McLean Deluxe, and the Big'n Tasty.. but the novelty of "The Hot Side Hot, and Cold side Cold" was so 80s.. discontinued because of the "styrofoam is bad" hype.

Loved this one.. never knew why it was killed.. the dijon mustard/mayo combo was awesome.. soft "not a hambuger bun" bun.. fancy onions.. bacon.. *sigh*

And I tried to find pictures of the McJordan Special (bbq bacon), when they were going thru their "burger of the month" phase..

Edited to Add: Yeah, wish they injected their Chicken McNuggets with beef fat like they used to...

Last edited by Fuzzy; 10-30-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #32
MzDeeZyre
Fatty McFatCakes

MzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Ohhhh yeah..... the Arch Deluxe was always one of my favorites!!

When I was pregnant with my son (13 years ago), my now ex-husband, was a General Manager for McDonalds.... no wonder I gained so much weight after I had children!!
Old 10-30-2010, 09:27 PM   #33
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Default Lost Candy

I got into a discussion about favorite candy bars and I remembered this one:

A wafer bar, like a kit-kat, but with chocolate wafers, caramel, and peanuts. Originally it was a single wide bar, but later split into two. The Bar None reminded me of this:

Summit was like a Bar None, with regular vanilla wafers.

I'm not a fan of the Nestle Crunch. I always liked:

Sure sure, I can get Krackel miniatures, but I'd prefer a regular size one for much the same reason people like Chunky.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:57 AM   #34
succubus_dxb
Badonk. Adonk.

succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I had been missing cherry coke, and cool ranch doritos....they remind me of childhood roadtrips. I mentioned it to my boyfriend last week, and he went and found cherry coke for me!!!!! Needless to say that 12 pack didn't last long
Old 11-02-2010, 08:35 AM   #35
chocolate desire

chocolate desire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chocolate desire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chocolate desire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chocolate desire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chocolate desire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chocolate desire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chocolate desire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chocolate desire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chocolate desire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chocolate desire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chocolate desire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Oh how I miss these. No other brand can compare.My weekly allowance went on two boxes of just the blue berry flavor and 4 Archie comic books until I turned 14 and then I bought the poptarts and Tiger Beat and drool over Shaun Cassidy and Leif Garret.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.jpg (38.5 KB, 195 views)
Old 11-04-2010, 02:21 AM   #36
shinyapple
crunchy in milk

shinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticed

Woooooow...I had almost begun to think I was the only person who remembered either the BarNone or Summit bars. When I've gotten into conversations about chocolate bars before, no one ever knows what I am talking about!

Two of my all time favorites and I wish I could find something like them now.

Quote:
I got into a discussion about favorite candy bars and I remembered this one:

A wafer bar, like a kit-kat, but with chocolate wafers, caramel, and peanuts. Originally it was a single wide bar, but later split into two. The Bar None reminded me of this:

Summit was like a Bar None, with regular vanilla wafers.

I'm not a fan of the Nestle Crunch. I always liked:

Sure sure, I can get Krackel miniatures, but I'd prefer a regular size one for much the same reason people like Chunky.
shinyapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:59 AM   #37
NJDoll

NJDoll can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesNJDoll can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesNJDoll can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Ok this seriously upsets me because I LOVE THIS ITEM. I miss.. the subway chicken salad.. I became obsessed with it and ate it every night for dinner. I think I am still going through withdrawals.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:32 AM   #38
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Subways crab salad! I would get a bowl on the side with my footlong in high school. It was so mayoy and good.

I loved the .59 cent Chicken Littles as a kid! I could eat four of 'em after swimming lessons... The fried chicken patty was crunchy as real fried chicken. I found this Bring Back Chicken Littles Petition

Wendy's Taco Salad! The one that was a giant bowl of chili,sour cream,round corn tortilla chips, and some lettuce and tomatoes. Best salad ever, as a kid I begged for these. And Wendy's started giving out little mini loaves of herb bread with there salads in the 90s but stopped soon after.

(none of the photos in my post match the products I discuss. all are recent remakes or changed products) dammit
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:09 PM   #39
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Oh man...I cried like a bitch when KFC discontinued Chicken Littles.

I didn't live anywhere near one for years so we'd have to go on roadtrips there and also White Castle. One day my sister said..I'm in the mood for a sack of Chicken Littles so we happily drove off with visions of yummy baby sandwiches in our heads and when we pulled up at the drive-thru they told us they didn't make them anymore. I was devastated and speechless. <sad day>

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #40
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyapple View Post
Woooooow...I had almost begun to think I was the only person who remembered either the BarNone or Summit bars. When I've gotten into conversations about chocolate bars before, no one ever knows what I am talking about!

Two of my all time favorites and I wish I could find something like them now.
Its my never ending quest to find the next Bar None. I'm sure all of Dimensions will hear of it if I find one.

ETA: According to this article, however, Reese's Sticks closely resembles the Summit Bar:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReeseSticks

Last edited by Fuzzy; 11-04-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:24 PM   #41
thirtiesgirl
frumious bandersnatch

thirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Aww, thank you. I love that commercial. "Still only 5 cents!" Cracked me the hell up.

...Now, this isn't so much of a food that I miss as a restaurant: Sambo's. No different than an IHOP or a Denny's, Sambo's was a pancake diner that originated in 1957 in my hometown. The restaurant name was taken from the names of it's founders, Sam Battistone and Newell Bohnett, but of course, being in America in the late '50s, the theme of the restaurant became that of the story of "Little Black Sambo," a story about an East Indian boy who is captured by tigers. In the story, Sambo gives the tigers his new clothes that his mother made for him, so the tigers won't eat him. The tigers then chase each other around a tree, fast enough to melt themselves into a pat of butter, which Sambo then takes home to his mother (along with his clothes), so his mother can make pancakes for him.

By the 1970s, Sambo's had about 40 chain restaurants around the U.S., all of them featuring pictures on the wall of the story of "Little Black Sambo," with an Indian boy in a jeweled turban, kurta and eyeliner. I remember seeing them on the wall of the Sambo's in my hometown when I was a kid, and being quite tickled by them. It was one of the things I loved about the restaurant, besides the fact that it served breakfast food at all hours of the day. Of course I was completely clueless about the racist aspects of the restaurant theme. Things like that weren't discussed in my family (and they were pretty clueless, too), even after there were protests about the restaurant theme in the late '70s. Some Sambo's restaurants changed their name and others closed their doors, but not the one in my hometown. It didn't close until 1982, when the chain finally went bankrupt.

I do kind of miss those blissful childhood days where we were ignorant of so many things, and breakfast food for dinner was a novelty treat. This last piece of information may be rumor, but the husband of one of my mom's good friends was the meat buyer for Sambo's, and based on some of the stories he told us, the restaurant owners and managers may have had Mafia connections. Again, only speculation and rumor, but kind of fun to think about nonetheless.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #42
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtiesgirl View Post
Aww, thank you. I love that commercial. "Still only 5 cents!" Cracked me the hell up.

...Now, this isn't so much of a food that I miss as a restaurant: Sambo's. No different than an IHOP or a Denny's, Sambo's was a pancake diner that originated in 1957 in my hometown. The restaurant name was taken from the names of it's founders, Sam Battistone and Newell Bohnett, but of course, being in America in the late '50s, the theme of the restaurant became that of the story of "Little Black Sambo," a story about an East Indian boy who is captured by tigers. In the story, Sambo gives the tigers his new clothes that his mother made for him, so the tigers won't eat him. The tigers then chase each other around a tree, fast enough to melt themselves into a pat of butter, which Sambo then takes home to his mother (along with his clothes), so his mother can make pancakes for him.

By the 1970s, Sambo's had about 40 chain restaurants around the U.S., all of them featuring pictures on the wall of the story of "Little Black Sambo," with an Indian boy in a jeweled turban, kurta and eyeliner. I remember seeing them on the wall of the Sambo's in my hometown when I was a kid, and being quite tickled by them. It was one of the things I loved about the restaurant, besides the fact that it served breakfast food at all hours of the day. Of course I was completely clueless about the racist aspects of the restaurant theme. Things like that weren't discussed in my family (and they were pretty clueless, too), even after there were protests about the restaurant theme in the late '70s. Some Sambo's restaurants changed their name and others closed their doors, but not the one in my hometown. It didn't close until 1982, when the chain finally went bankrupt.

I do kind of miss those blissful childhood days where we were ignorant of so many things, and breakfast food for dinner was a novelty treat. This last piece of information may be rumor, but the husband of one of my mom's good friends was the meat buyer for Sambo's, and based on some of the stories he told us, the restaurant owners and managers may have had Mafia connections. Again, only speculation and rumor, but kind of fun to think about nonetheless.
I also remember Sambo's.. in my little West Texas town in the 70s. As you described the story, I could picture those illustrations of little Sambo and the tigers wearing his fancy clothes. Good times.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:07 AM   #43
BigBrwnSugar1

BigBrwnSugar1 has super-sized repBigBrwnSugar1 has super-sized repBigBrwnSugar1 has super-sized repBigBrwnSugar1 has super-sized repBigBrwnSugar1 has super-sized rep
Default They're still here!

Sambo's is still at it's same location on the beach and going strong!!!
Best pancakes ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtiesgirl View Post

BigBrwnSugar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:15 AM   #44
thirtiesgirl
frumious bandersnatch

thirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrwnSugar1 View Post
Sambo's is still at it's same location on the beach and going strong!!!
Best pancakes ever!
Funnily enough, I never ate at that Sambo's. There was one on upper State Street, near the La Cumbre mall, where my family used to eat all the time. That's the one that shut down in '82 and became a Coco's for a while. Apparently, it couldn't compete with some of the surrounding restaurants in the area, though, so the Coco's eventually shut down and it became an insurance office or Auto Club offices or something.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #45
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Default Discontinued Sodas...

First off, let me say I will never ever miss Diet Coke with Lemon Pledge. I've no idea how this ever made it to market. Bleah.

Where o Where is my Pepsi Twist...

Really liked 7up Gold. It was like a spice cola, with CAFFIENE!!

How about a not-so-sweet dry creme soda? Barq's hit a home run, but the runner never made to home plate, because they replaced it with overly-too-sweet red creme.

Grape Mountain Dew! Came out for Halloween, then went away.. and came back the following year... Where is my Pitch Black?

Clear Pepsi Cola... yeah it was a gimmick.. It was a 90s thing.

And finally... Ski. I can't find it anywhere.. but its out there.. somewhere.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #46
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Blue Cream Nehi

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #47
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I loved Crystal Pepsi. It was so good. Tasted nothing like regular pepsi of course.

I love that Pitch Black MTDW as well. Yum.
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:29 PM   #48
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
Oh man...I cried like a bitch when KFC discontinued Chicken Littles.

I didn't live anywhere near one for years so we'd have to go on roadtrips there and also White Castle. One day my sister said..I'm in the mood for a sack of Chicken Littles so we happily drove off with visions of yummy baby sandwiches in our heads and when we pulled up at the drive-thru they told us they didn't make them anymore. I was devastated and speechless. <sad day>
I remember living swim practice every Tuesday and Saturday so excited over a giant sack of Chick'n Littles.... I have never been a big mayo fan, but on these it was perfect. The best thing on earth in my little foodie world, until they had this giant sign that announced "Get your chicken littles while you can" I went nuts.... my chicken sandwich days haven't been the same since.
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #49
isamarie69
Live and let die!!!

isamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticedisamarie69 never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
First off, let me say I will never ever miss Diet Coke with Lemon Pledge. I've no idea how this ever made it to market. Bleah.

Where o Where is my Pepsi Twist...

Really liked 7up Gold. It was like a spice cola, with CAFFIENE!!

How about a not-so-sweet dry creme soda? Barq's hit a home run, but the runner never made to home plate, because they replaced it with overly-too-sweet red creme.

Grape Mountain Dew! Came out for Halloween, then went away.. and came back the following year... Where is my Pitch Black?

Clear Pepsi Cola... yeah it was a gimmick.. It was a 90s thing.

And finally... Ski. I can't find it anywhere.. but its out there.. somewhere.

You did'nt mention Aspen, The crisp apple soda!!! Omg I loved Aspen.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #50
caveman73

caveman73 can now change their title
Default Chunky's

I miss that candy bar so much!! I don't think it is gone for good but damn if it isn't tough as hell to find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 300px-Chunky-Wrapper-Small.jpg (27.7 KB, 65 views)