Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 11-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
CrankySpice
Unwashed.

CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default a-hummunna-hummunna-HUMMUS!

Okay, so I made a post about hummus in a different thread and decided that hummus surely deserves its own thread.

So, let's talk hummus! Favorite brands or flavors, best dippers, recipes...you name it!

I really like the Sabre brand, roasted pine nut flavor being my favorite. One thing I like about the brand is that they don't mix in their flavors - they put them in the middle and allow the consumer to stir it up.

When I make it at home, I really like adding jalapenos and cumin....or artichokes and sundried tomatoes.
CrankySpice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
Brenda

Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I love the Sabre pine nut flavor as well. I buy a big tub anytime I shop at Costco, it is way cheaper this way. Last time I was there I also bought a big pack on nan bread, heated it up on a skillet and ate it with the hummus. My biggest complaint is not enough pine nuts!
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

About the only national brand available here is Athinos. It's pretty good, but the local natural foods store makes its own hummus, which is wonderful. The garlic flavor is my favorite so far, but I never met a hummus I didn't like. Does anyone else here use it as a sandwich spread, and if so, with what do you like to combine it?
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #4
fat9276
~more jiggles than jello~

fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I love hummus... tahini just makes it so yummy!! I have made my own before but "shucking" the chick-peas was not fun haha
Old 11-03-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
CrankySpice
Unwashed.

CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
About the only national brand available here is Athinos. It's pretty good, but the local natural foods store makes its own hummus, which is wonderful. The garlic flavor is my favorite so far, but I never met a hummus I didn't like. Does anyone else here use it as a sandwich spread, and if so, with what do you like to combine it?
I'll use it on flat bread to make a roll-up, usually with grated carrot, sprouts and chickpeas. Yum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat9276 View Post
I love hummus... tahini just makes it so yummy!! I have made my own before but "shucking" the chick-peas was not fun haha
I buy dried chickpeas and cook them in the crockpot - are you using fresh chickpeas? Just curious because of the shucking comment.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
fat9276
~more jiggles than jello~

fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankySpice View Post
I'll use it on flat bread to make a roll-up, usually with grated carrot, sprouts and chickpeas. Yum!

I buy dried chickpeas and cook them in the crockpot - are you using fresh chickpeas? Just curious because of the shucking comment.
Dried or maybe they were canned..it was a long time ago haha... but you have to pop the little outer skin to get a really creamy consistency...atleast from what I remember
Old 11-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
I use canned chick peas and shucked them the first time I made hummus, but I've found that if your blender has a strong motor (like a Waring professional) you don't really have to do that step. I do add a little liquid to help it along; a combination of lemon juice and olive oil works well.

I made red pepper hummus a few days ago because I needed to use up some red pepper spread with eggplant and garlic from Trader Joe's. It's petty good.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:41 AM   #8
CrankySpice
Unwashed.

Quote:
Dried or maybe they were canned..it was a long time ago haha... but you have to pop the little outer skin to get a really creamy consistency...atleast from what I remember
That is SO interesting! In all the recipes I've read, I haven't seen anything about removing the outer skin...maybe that's the reason my homemade hummus ends up being fluffier than pre-made....I'll have to try that! Thanks for the tip!
Old 11-05-2010, 08:59 PM   #9
knottyknicky
Hips like Cinderella

knottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticed

There's a greek place here who makes hummus and sells it through Whole Foods (you can get it from the original shop, too). They have a horseradish hummus thats amazing. I just tried a guacamole/avocado hummus from Trader Joes that was really good, too. Everything at TJ's is yummy.
knottyknicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I love the Sabra roasted garlic hummus. I got addicted to eating it with pretzel crisp after getting the single serving container. Of course, living in an area with a large Middle Eastern population, I'd prefer to get it from a local restaurant whenever possible.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #11
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

My store finally restocked the tahini and i got myself a jar. So this weekend i'm going to be making a huge batch of hummus. I love dipping carrots and celery in it. I also like pita chips that you can get in the huge bag at Costco or some of the flavored ones at Trader Joes. We usually buy the Sabra at Costco but i'm trying to cut down on fat/calories consumed so home made is much less fatty. (i don't use olive oil on it) I love my hummus really garlicky too.
HottiMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #12
jewels_mystery
Urban Hippie

jewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going on

I recently tried Hummus for the first time. OMG that stuff is good. I tried the Sabra roasted red pepper and Athenos garlic. yummmm.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #13
mpls_girl26

mpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging in

I love roasted red pepper hummus but haven't really tried a lot of brands. I should to a taste test.

Would all of you that make hummus be willing to share their recipe or their source? I've never tried making it but could be interesting. Thanks
mpls_girl26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #14
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Here's how i made my hummus:
2 cans of garbanzo beans (i use reduced salt). One drained of the juice.
Throw those cans in and juice of the one in a food processor. I'm going to try it in my vitamix next time.
then i add these:
4tbs tahini
3-4 tbs lemon juice
5 cloves of garlic

I add garlic and lemon juice until it has the right flavor for my taste. I am thinking of trying to add some sun dried tomatoes next time just for some change.. I made a big tub of hummus for maybe $2.. so it saved me a lot of money
Old 11-08-2010, 12:11 AM   #15
HayleeRose

HayleeRose has super-sized repHayleeRose has super-sized repHayleeRose has super-sized repHayleeRose has super-sized rep

I love hummus. I usually prefer it from the restaurants to store bought, however i forgot what the brand was, i think it was the athenos, they had it mixed with avocado, and it was delicious.
HayleeRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #16
Gingembre
radar detector

Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
Does anyone else here use it as a sandwich spread, and if so, with what do you like to combine it?
Me! Hummus & freshly sliced tomato = simple sandwich, but GOOD.
Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break your heart - Tim Minchin
Gingembre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #17
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

I too love hummus in a sandwich..
I like to add sprouts, taziki and olives.. and if i have it around, falafel

Last edited by HottiMegan; 11-08-2010 at 07:23 PM. Reason: wrote tahini instead of taziki
Old 11-10-2010, 01:02 AM   #18
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I have never tried hummus.

I can't handle chickpeas when they're whole.. I'm not sure if I'll like them mashed up with garlic and... um.. stuff..
Old 11-10-2010, 08:52 AM   #19
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I can't handle chickpeas when they're whole.. I'm not sure if I'll like them mashed up with garlic and... um.. stuff..
I sincerely dislike chickpeas. But hummus tastes nothing like chickpeas. Trust me on this.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:08 AM   #20
supersoup
Nice to meet you beanbag.

supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I have never tried hummus.

Fuzzy you must try some!! Totally different thing! Pick out a flavor that sounds appealing to you, and eat it with some pita chips or pretzel sticks...soooooo good!!
Old 11-11-2010, 06:59 AM   #21
CrankySpice
Unwashed.

My "recipe" is similar to Megan's....I'm pretty loosey-goosey about measurements, and just add this and that until it tastes right. Not very helpful, I know. I do add olive oil to mine and also a little salt and pepper.

One of my favorite ways to make it at home is adding a can of chopped jalapenos and maybe 1/2 tsp of cumin. I call it medi-mexi hummus.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #22
succubus_dxb
Badonk. Adonk.

succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I fear I might be a bit of a hoummus snob because I grew up in Dubai, i refuse to buy the packaged stuff because it just never tastes as good.

I too am a bit 'loosey goosey' with my measurements, but I make sure to soak the chickpeas overnight, and then boil them briefly before putting them in the blender with cumin, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and any extras I feel like (sometimes some pesto, parsley, or paprika)

I'm missing the awesome lebanese hoummus i grew up with
Old 11-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #23
mpls_girl26

mpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by succubus_dxb View Post

I too am a bit 'loosey goosey' with my measurements, but I make sure to soak the chickpeas overnight, and then boil them briefly before putting them in the blender with cumin, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and any extras I feel like (sometimes some pesto, parsley, or paprika)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankySpice View Post
My "recipe" is similar to Megan's....I'm pretty loosey-goosey about measurements, and just add this and that until it tastes right. Not very helpful, I know. I do add olive oil to mine and also a little salt and pepper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HottiMegan View Post
Here's how i made my hummus:
2 cans of garbanzo beans (i use reduced salt). One drained of the juice.
Throw those cans in and juice of the one in a food processor. I'm going to try it in my vitamix next time.
then i add these:
4tbs tahini
3-4 tbs lemon juice
5 cloves of garlic

I add garlic and lemon juice until it has the right flavor for my taste. I am thinking of trying to add some sun dried tomatoes next time just for some change.. I made a big tub of hummus for maybe $2.. so it saved me a lot of money
This is where I'm confused. I'm under the impression hummus is made with chickpeas but Megan says she makes it with Garbanzo beans and CrankySpice (sorry, I don't know your real name) said she makes is similar. Are they similar beans? I admit I've never cooked with either.
mpls_girl26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #24
succubus_dxb
Badonk. Adonk.

succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!succubus_dxb has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpls_girl26 View Post
This is where I'm confused. I'm under the impression hummus is made with chickpeas but Megan says she makes it with Garbanzo beans and CrankySpice (sorry, I don't know your real name) said she makes is similar. Are they similar beans? I admit I've never cooked with either.
they are the same thing

It tends to be an American reference to call them 'garbanzo beans' from what I can tell
Old 11-14-2010, 10:21 PM   #25
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I eat mostly Sabra but Tribe is pretty good too.. love Sabras greek olive. We just got pizza hummus at the grocery store I work at.. I'm thinking about trying it but I'm a little leery haha. I love hummus though, haven't eaten a flavor I don't like yet.
thatgirl08 is offline   Reply With Quote