Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 11-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #26
CrankySpice
Unwashed.

CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirl08 View Post
I eat mostly Sabra but Tribe is pretty good too.. love Sabras greek olive. We just got pizza hummus at the grocery store I work at.. I'm thinking about trying it but I'm a little leery haha. I love hummus though, haven't eaten a flavor I don't like yet.
I've tried the pizza hummus, it isn't bad! It does have a pizza-y flavor to it. I recommended it to a friend who doesn't think she'd like hummus because it tastes like something more familiar than most of the other flavors available.

Also, the last couple of days I've mixed about 1/2 cup tabouli with 1 cup hummus and had it for lunch with pita chips...really REALLY yummy and filling.

It was store bought tabouli, which I've never had, I've only had my mother's...I actually liked this version a wee bit better only because it wasn't as watery as hers is. I think I'm going to try and make some of my own, but I'm thinking I'll pre-salt the cukes and tomatoes to draw out some of the liquid before mixing it all together.
CrankySpice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #27
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Inspired by CrankySpice and HottiMegan, I built a sandwich for lunch: hummus, bacon (okay, soy bacon*), slices of avocado, and alfalfa sprouts on whole wheat. It was everything I hoped for. Thanks for the ideas, ladies!

*Bacon is the candy of the soybean.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #28
thirtiesgirl
frumious bandersnatch

thirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging inthirtiesgirl makes people happy simply by logging in

I love hummus of almost any kind. My favorites are Trader Joe's garlic and roasted red pepper hummus. Yum.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:10 PM   #29
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I was at Wal-mart looking for fixins for a homemade garlic spread (my usual supplier went out of business ) and I happened by the deli case and saw several brands of hummus.. and I remembered this thread.

Hmm.. I thought.. which one should I grab.. Hmm. I grabbed a package of roasted red pepper hummus and went on my way. I had grabbed the Wal-Mart brand, "Marketside", but for my first ever sampling of hummus it was tasty (I used wheat thins and club crackers.. I couldn't remember what its supposed to be consumed with.. )
Old 11-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #30
R. Mutt

R. Mutt can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesR. Mutt can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtiesgirl View Post
I love hummus of almost any kind. My favorites are Trader Joe's garlic and roasted red pepper hummus. Yum.
ah man, i need to try the trader joe's hummus. the baba ghanouj was so-so. garlic or red pepper are the go-tos for packaged hummus, though, can't really go too wrong.
R. Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:11 AM   #31
CrankySpice
Unwashed.

CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Mutt View Post
ah man, i need to try the trader joe's hummus. the baba ghanouj was so-so. garlic or red pepper are the go-tos for packaged hummus, though, can't really go too wrong.
I would HIGHLY recommend the TJ's Spicy Hummus. Really great flavor with a pleasant heat - not so overwhelming that you feel the need to choke down saltines and milk, but definitely a nice kick.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:13 AM   #32
CrankySpice
Unwashed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I was at Wal-mart looking for fixins for a homemade garlic spread (my usual supplier went out of business ) and I happened by the deli case and saw several brands of hummus.. and I remembered this thread.

Hmm.. I thought.. which one should I grab.. Hmm. I grabbed a package of roasted red pepper hummus and went on my way. I had grabbed the Wal-Mart brand, "Marketside", but for my first ever sampling of hummus it was tasty (I used wheat thins and club crackers.. I couldn't remember what its supposed to be consumed with.. )
Yay, Fuzzy!! I'm glad you enjoyed it. You can eat hummus with almost anything - I usually have it with carrot sticks or pita chips, but have had it with other types of crackers when I was out of the above. My step-dad likes it with torn pieces of pita bread, but I prefer some crunch with mine.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #33
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpls_girl26 View Post
I love roasted red pepper hummus but haven't really tried a lot of brands. I should to a taste test.

Would all of you that make hummus be willing to share their recipe or their source? I've never tried making it but could be interesting. Thanks
I just made hummus again, and I really did try and figure out the proportions for you, but it is something I do by sight and taste. This is approximately (wild guess) what I used:

1 can chickpeas (mostly drained with a little water left in)
1 very large clove of garlic, crushed
2 tsp. lemon juice (could be more ... or less)
1 Tbsp. olive oil (might have been more)
2 -3 Tbsp, tahini (too much will make it taste vaguely like peanut butter)
1/2 tsp. salt (optional, but I think it needs it)

Put everything in the blender and blend until smooth. Add a little water if it's too thick to process.

I also like serving it with a drizzle of olive oil, Penzey's* tandoori seasoning and chopped parsley on top.

*a blend of coriander, cumin, sweet paprika, garlic, ginger, cardamon and Kashmir saffron

When I did the roasted red pepper hummus, I cut the garlic and lemon juice by about half and didn't use any olive oil. I think I used between 1/4 and 1/2 a jar of Trader Joe's red pepper spread with eggplant and garlic. It probably needed a little more lemon juice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post

I like it with pita chips, fresh pita (easpecially with homemade tabouli on top), pretzel thins, carrots, mushrooms and red pepper (actually I like dipping raw red pepper in regular hummus better than the red pepper hummus). If you really want to love it, eat it with bagel chips or battered, deep fried mushrooms.