Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 08-26-2014, 03:05 AM   #1751
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBrightside View Post
I love it! However, it reminded me of something less awesome that my nephew recently told me. He said that students at his high school study Shakespeare (Romeo and Juliet) by reading some sort of paraphrased version instead of the original text. That's just pitiful. Back in the day, I remember reading more than half a dozen of Shakespeare's plays for high school English class, and they were all in his own words. Somehow "Romeo, where r u?" just isn't the same.
C'mon, you mean "Yo Juliet. It's your boy Romeo, holla" doesn't move you?
Old 08-26-2014, 07:08 AM   #1752
WhiteHotRazor
Time Travelling

WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Just to jump in and be a total bag of dicks. "Wherefore" doesn't mean "where" it means why.

Basically Juliet is saying damn dude WHY do you have to be a filthy montague, bc this capulet needs your penis, so if you don't change your allegiance to your family than I will just to take a ride on that bologna pony.

I'm pretty sure "bologna pony" was a term used in Shakespeare's notes as well

You're welcome.

WhiteHotRazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:45 AM   #1753
MsBrightside

MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoGibson View Post
C'mon, you mean "Yo Juliet. It's your boy Romeo, holla" doesn't move you?
If the paraphrasing were a supplement to the real text, it would be one thing, especially for struggling students or individuals for whom English is a second language. But to answer your question: no, that's not really my idea of classic literature. It's kinda funny, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteHotRazor View Post
Just to jump in and be a total bag of dicks. "Wherefore" doesn't mean "where" it means why.

Basically Juliet is saying damn dude WHY do you have to be a filthy montague, bc this capulet needs your penis, so if you don't change your allegiance to your family than I will just to take a ride on that bologna pony.

I'm pretty sure "bologna pony" was a term used in Shakespeare's notes as well

You're welcome.

See, if you hadn't read the real play, you wouldn't know all of these things. Q.E.D. (Did I use that right?)

And thanks for always keeping things classy.

In an effort to stay on topic, I nominate LeoG and WHR as writers for the next awesome paraphrased edition of Shakespeare's complete works.
MsBrightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:06 PM   #1754
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

This had me thinking of another favorite Shakespeare quote that I like and I decided to see if it too could be modernized. Bonus points for whoever deciphers it!

"Yo homey, check it. Keep it 100 wit yo self playa. Then you won't be frontin' wit dem otha' G's."
Old 08-29-2014, 10:04 PM   #1755
tankyguy

tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Rock Sugar is a band that does great musical mash-ups of rock and pop songs from the 70's, 80's and 90's. This is their tribute to Journey and Metallica, 'Don't Stop the Sandman':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...4HffbAUTk#t=30

Their lead singer is professional voice actor and all around cool guy Jess Harnell. He was the voice of Wakko on Animaniacs and Captain Hero on Drawn Together.
tankyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:49 PM   #1756
MsBrightside

MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
This had me thinking of another favorite Shakespeare quote that I like and I decided to see if it too could be modernized. Bonus points for whoever deciphers it!

"Yo homey, check it. Keep it 100 wit yo self playa. Then you won't be frontin' wit dem otha' G's."
It reminds me of Polonius' "to thine own self be true" speech in Hamlet, but I'm not sure because you transformed whatever it was quite thoroughly. You seem to have uncovered a new talent!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankyguy View Post
Rock Sugar is a band that does great musical mash-ups of rock and pop songs from the 70's, 80's and 90's. This is their tribute to Journey and Metallica, 'Don't Stop the Sandman':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...4HffbAUTk#t=30

Their lead singer is professional voice actor and all around cool guy Jess Harnell. He was the voice of Wakko on Animaniacs and Captain Hero on Drawn Together.
Never heard of these guys, but I liked it--it was way more fun than Journey's version of Don't Stop Believin'. A lot of songs would probably benefit from those Sandman riffs. I'm not sure my opinion is worth much when it comes to music, though--I also like the theme song from SpongeBob SquarePants and P!nk's Scurvy video
(I don't know why there are German subtitles, but then why not?)
Old 08-30-2014, 04:18 PM   #1757
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
It reminds me of Polonius' "to thine own self be true" speech in Hamlet, but I'm not sure because you transformed whatever it was quite thoroughly. You seem to have uncovered a new talent!
Good call. You nailed it!
Old 08-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #1758
MsBrightside

Quote:
Good call. You nailed it!
Thanks! I've never actually read Hamlet in its entirety , but I remember the Skipper as Polonius singing a version of that speech to "Laertes" (Mary Ann) in an episode of Gilligan's Island when the castaways were trying to impress a famous producer. Probably not the most reliable source for one's knowledge of Shakespeare--it's even worse than the paraphrased textbooks. That scene from Gilligan's Island was pretty funny, though, so I suppose that's awesome in its own way.

Geez, I just realized that I've now admitted my enjoyment of SpongeBob SquarePants, Metallica, and Gilligan's Island: do I have high-brow tastes or what?
Old 08-31-2014, 01:10 PM   #1759
Librarygirl

Librarygirl makes people happy simply by logging inLibrarygirl makes people happy simply by logging inLibrarygirl makes people happy simply by logging inLibrarygirl makes people happy simply by logging inLibrarygirl makes people happy simply by logging inLibrarygirl makes people happy simply by logging inLibrarygirl makes people happy simply by logging inLibrarygirl makes people happy simply by logging inLibrarygirl makes people happy simply by logging inLibrarygirl makes people happy simply by logging in
Smile

Quote:

Won't let me rep you, but consider yourself repped! I only just found this and (luckily given my day job is all about the Bard!) guessed right.

As Ms Brightside pointed out in the earlier post, we wouldn't be able to do this if we didn't know the original.

Paraphrasing as a sole means of getting to know a work is wrong, but it certainly is fun if you know what you're working from! More please!!
Old 09-08-2014, 05:44 PM   #1760
Saisha
Delphinum natare doces

Saisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Know I'm probably behind the times but never heard of this guy before - pretty cool! Ten Second Songs

http://youtu.be/jus7S5vBJyU

Child of the ocean.
Saisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:34 AM   #1761
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

In your face!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10624840_10152525683466865_7770327099863010304_n.jpg (30.3 KB, 169 views)
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:00 AM   #1762
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Paraphrasing as a sole means of getting to know a work is wrong, but it certainly is fun if you know what you're working from! More please!!
The late, great Shel Silverstein once did a jive version of Hamlet which you can probably find on the internet. As I recall it begins with Francisco saying:

"Now me and Bernardo, we was guardin' the castle
Keepin' it cool, not makin' no hassle,
Havin' ourselves a brew or two,
When outta the night comes 'Woo, woo, woo,'
And here comes this ghost, all ragged an' rank
In a rusty suit of armor, goin' clank, clank, clank.
I say, 'Hey, Mister Ghost, are you our dear, departed king?'
The ghost don't say one motherfuckin' thing.
He goes 'Woo, woo, woo.' I say, 'Hey, we better split,
An' go tell Hamlet 'bout this shit'...
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:10 PM   #1763
lovelylady78

lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
I love it! However, it reminded me of something less awesome that my nephew recently told me. He said that students at his high school study Shakespeare (Romeo and Juliet) by reading some sort of paraphrased version instead of the original text. That's just pitiful. Back in the day, I remember reading more than half a dozen of Shakespeare's plays for high school English class, and they were all in his own words. Somehow "Romeo, where r u?" just isn't the same.
This is the perfect excuse to introduce someone else to this YouTube Channel...his cliffnotes are spot on and highly entertaining; although, Romeo and Juliet is not one of his best, in my humble opinion.

http://youtu.be/K-qgVmsV3hM
lovelylady78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:18 PM   #1764
Hozay J Garseeya
Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.

Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelylady78 View Post
This is the perfect excuse to introduce someone else to this YouTube Channel...his cliffnotes are spot on and highly entertaining; although, Romeo and Juliet is not one of his best, in my humble opinion.

Thug notes is so fucking good!!
Old 09-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #1765
MsBrightside

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelylady78 View Post

Lol at "Romeo's homie-os Benvolio and Mercutio."
Old 09-19-2014, 07:32 PM   #1766
Treach

Treach knows EXACTLY what's going onTreach knows EXACTLY what's going onTreach knows EXACTLY what's going onTreach knows EXACTLY what's going onTreach knows EXACTLY what's going onTreach knows EXACTLY what's going onTreach knows EXACTLY what's going on

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is so good.
Treach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #1767
WhiteHotRazor
Time Travelling

WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Old 09-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #1768
Hozay J Garseeya
Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.

Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteHotRazor View Post
ahah, I really laughed at this for some reason.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:52 PM   #1769
WhiteHotRazor
Time Travelling

Yea I found it clever haha
Old 09-20-2014, 03:29 PM   #1770
bayone

bayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
The late, great Shel Silverstein once did a jive version of Hamlet
It's always a good time for
. I think this version is from the early 'eighties, but they were doing it at least as far back as 1958.
bayone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:08 PM   #1771
djudex
I'm out

djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Take a quick glance...

Look away...

Take another quick glance...

What is that? A castle? A prison? Super villain lair?

Nope. Tile store.

"Quia Sic Dico"
djudex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #1772
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

My kinda store.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 227033_10154666648225501_318566388258666066_n.jpg (39.4 KB, 90 views)
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:11 PM   #1773
MsBrightside

Quote:
Originally Posted by djudex View Post
Take a quick glance...

Look away...

Take another quick glance...

What is that? A castle? A prison? Super villain lair?

Nope. Tile store.
Lol. I was thinking a high-security government building in some place like Washington, D. C., although that fence doesn't exactly look like an impenetrable barrier. Is this building somewhere close to where you live? It makes me wonder if the architect is a wannabe designer of nuclear command centers in North Dakota but had to settle for a tile store.

By the way, this is a flak tower in Hamburg; any resemblance to your photo is entirely coincidental.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:51 PM   #1774
Amaranthine
Adamant Anti-Nihilist

Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djudex View Post
Super villain lair?

Nope. Tile store.
I think you're getting tricked too easily.

If I were to have a personal super villain lair, tile store is the first thing I'd think to disguise it as. I'd watch out if I were you.

Around where I live, there's this building that was seemingly designed to be a Spirit Halloween store (which is strange, because they're temporary) and it looks really ridiculous when it's converted to another kind of store for the less exciting parts of the year.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:09 PM   #1775
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default I find stuff like this interesting...

The texture of Mega-TileMart looks kind of odd to me. Like, maybe, a giant had just spackeled it. Could it be that the original plan was to cover it all in various samples of tile?!? That could be eye-catching...
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pizza fries