Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 04-28-2017, 11:40 AM   #4076
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I think I need to actually start job hunting. The vibe around here is getting really weird, things could yet work out, but ... I think I need to start looking.

Job hunting has hardly changed since the last time I did it, 12 years ago, right?
Also means I should probably be serious about losing a few more pounds and doing shoulder exercises make clothes hang as 'properly' as possible. Blorg! And wonder if, at 49, I'm going to be hitting age discrimination in the tech field now?
Old 04-28-2017, 11:53 AM   #4077
fat hiker

fat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
I think I need to actually start job hunting. The vibe around here is getting really weird, things could yet work out, but ... I think I need to start looking.

Job hunting has hardly changed since the last time I did it, 12 years ago, right?
Also means I should probably be serious about losing a few more pounds and doing shoulder exercises make clothes hand as 'properly' as possible. Blorg! And wonder if, at 49, I'm going to be hitting age discrimination in the tech field now?
Good luck!

Got any current upgrading/certifications?

Don't quote age unless needed.

And 'square those shoulders, young man'!!
Old 04-28-2017, 01:21 PM   #4078
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm built all front-to-back rather than side-to-side (no hips, narrow shoulders, deep chest, plenty of belly and butt), and I get most of my exercise with my legs which doesn't help. Fortunately I do have some custom made shirts and a suit, so have some things that don't hang off the shoulders -- but still when I do put in some time and effort on upper body exercises it does help how clothes hang.

Sadly I have no new formal qualifications or training in the last 15 years. You learn a TON working for start-ups, but it is pretty much all self-taught and picked up from co-workers, rather than formal qualifications. After nearly 18 years in start-up type companies I feel like I can do almost anything except the most focused technical stuff, but have to be careful not to come across as a jack-of-all-trades/master-of-none.

As I said, Blorg. I'll sort something out eventually I'm sure. Just hoping I won't have to take a step back to something less senior/less-well-paid if I can't find the right sort of tech company.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:46 AM   #4079
Tad
mostly harmless

And sure enough, got laid off this morning, along with over half of the rest of the company. A very nice severance package so no financial panic and I have time to look for something good.

I am sad, however, because I'd hung on here for the past few years specifically because I wanted to see things through to the end, and I'm not going to get that chance. Probably should have moved on a couple of years back, but oh well, can't change that now.

Not sure if I'll be on here more, or less, over the next bit. But I'm sure at the least I'll be looking in occasionally.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:51 AM   #4080
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:

Not sure if I'll be on here more, or less, over the next bit. But I'm sure at the least I'll be looking in occasionally.
Wherever you go, may good fortune go with you.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:24 AM   #4081
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Being laid off sucks, but that package has to make it a bit easier!! Good luck finding a new place, which has all the parts of a good job!

But also have fun not doing the 9-5...dare I hope for some stories...? =p

(Hey, gotta enjoy the downtime too, if there isn't a financial panic!)
Xyantha Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:49 AM   #4082
fat hiker

fat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
And sure enough, got laid off this morning, along with over half of the rest of the company. A very nice severance package so no financial panic and I have time to look for something good.

Sympathy, Tad, and good luck with the job hunt.

Speaking of which, did you attend a post-secondary institution in the past? Don't forget that most, if not all, colleges and universities make their Employment Services are available to ALL alumni, regardless of how long ago they graduated. Algonquin College, where I teach, has this policy, and regularly reminds Alumni of their services (from resume touch-ups to mock interviews to career counselling to job postings). I know that UOttawa and Carleton University do the same.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:23 AM   #4083
AmandaLynn
cake, lots & lots of cake

AmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:

I am sad, however, because I'd hung on here for the past few years specifically because I wanted to see things through to the end, and I'm not going to get that chance. Probably should have moved on a couple of years back, but oh well, can't change that now.

I am sorry to hear this. Good luck in your search!
Old 05-01-2017, 09:56 AM   #4084
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:

I'm so sorry to hear this Tad!
And on May 1st - bad workforce karma in a sigificant part of the world.

But there is indeed nothing more difficult than finding the right time to leave anything you have some sort of emotional attachment to.

The very best of luck in the quest for a new professional endeavor - may you find something that is worthy of your talents.
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:46 PM   #4085
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:

You'll find something soon, Tad! You're in one of the only industries that isn't a total pile of shit right now, job-wise (plus, you're awesome).
Old 05-01-2017, 02:03 PM   #4086
rabbitislove
24 Carrot Magic

rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:

Yikes! Glad you arent feeling the financial stress immediately! Best of luck in finding a job that will bring you fulfillment and a better work environment.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:04 PM   #4087
Leem
Leem

Leem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions community

So sorry Tad. It's not just the financial but emotional toll. My best wishes on your job hunt.
Leem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:07 PM   #4088
RentonBob
I always get back up...

RentonBob has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!RentonBob has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!RentonBob has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!RentonBob has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!RentonBob has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!RentonBob has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!RentonBob has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!RentonBob has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!RentonBob has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!RentonBob has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!RentonBob has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:

Sorry to hear that Tad. I wish you the best of luck.

When I was laid off 14 years ago, it turned out to be the best thing that could have happened to me because it led me to where I work now and the great group of people I work with.

I hope this leads you to a better situation as well.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:20 PM   #4089
Tad
mostly harmless

The emotional roller coaster that comes with job hunting. The anxiety when doing a resume and cover letter as you wonder if you are highlighting the right point. The excitement of getting a call for an interview. Getting all pumped up for an interview and then having this surplus adrenaline afterward. The mental pacing while you wait to hear back. The crash when you hear that 'another candidate was a better match for the skills profile they were looking for' (even when you know you were missing some of what they wanted, that is always hard to take).

And repeat.

It's draining!
Old 05-18-2017, 01:20 PM   #4090
Tad
mostly harmless

The emotional roller coaster that comes with job hunting. The anxiety when doing a resume and cover letter as you wonder if you are highlighting the right point. The excitement of getting a call for an interview. Getting all pumped up for an interview and then having this surplus adrenaline afterward. The mental pacing while you wait to hear back. The crash when you hear that 'another candidate was a better match for the skills profile they were looking for' (even when you know you were missing some of what they wanted, that is always hard to take).

And repeat.

It's draining!
Old 05-18-2017, 01:40 PM   #4091
rellis10
tuh-maw-tow

rellis10 keeps pushing the rep limit!rellis10 keeps pushing the rep limit!rellis10 keeps pushing the rep limit!rellis10 keeps pushing the rep limit!rellis10 keeps pushing the rep limit!rellis10 keeps pushing the rep limit!rellis10 keeps pushing the rep limit!rellis10 keeps pushing the rep limit!rellis10 keeps pushing the rep limit!rellis10 keeps pushing the rep limit!rellis10 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:

And repeat.

It's draining!
I feel you, Tad. Been there more than I'd like to admit and it's a crushing thing to come up against. For what it's worth you've always been a great guy on here and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone sees that same light in you and takes you on.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:27 PM   #4092
Leem
Leem

Leem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Totally feel you Tad. Job hunting is tough and stressful. I would invite you out for a beer and pizza but I am a little far.
Leem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:40 PM   #4093
AmandaLynn
cake, lots & lots of cake

AmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leem View Post
Totally feel you Tad. Job hunting is tough and stressful. I would invite you out for a beer and pizza but I am a little far.

I would invite him out for many beers and at least two pizzas. His belly has potential, but it is not all it could be.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:34 PM   #4094
x0emnem0x

x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!

What would you do if your closest friend of 11 years, who you basically talked to everyday the majority of those 11 years, just basically decided to slap you in the face by disappearing (again)? This person has loved me in a way no one else ever has, accepted me as I accepted him, fully, 100%, has let me vent, helped me avoid my suicidal thoughts, my unhappiness, my bad thoughts... has helped me with money, helped me in more ways than I can even write down, or even deserve, ever.

I was going to post this elsewhere, but then I realized instead of being annoyed, I am sad. I'm more than sad... I am unhappy. So unhappy. I am devastated. I'm confused. I'm feeling insanely vulnerable and utterly mad (not upset, but crazy), I feel wrong, I feel used, I feel betrayed and I feel lost, as cliche as that may sound... and I don't know what to think. I'm not crying, but I want to.

I'm trying to type words to explain or vent or... anything.

I just can't.
x0emnem0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:32 PM   #4095
AmyJo1976
Corpulently Content

AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0emnem0x View Post
What would you do if your closest friend of 11 years, who you basically talked to everyday the majority of those 11 years, just basically decided to slap you in the face by disappearing (again)? This person has loved me in a way no one else ever has, accepted me as I accepted him, fully, 100%, has let me vent, helped me avoid my suicidal thoughts, my unhappiness, my bad thoughts... has helped me with money, helped me in more ways than I can even write down, or even deserve, ever.

I was going to post this elsewhere, but then I realized instead of being annoyed, I am sad. I'm more than sad... I am unhappy. So unhappy. I am devastated. I'm confused. I'm feeling insanely vulnerable and utterly mad (not upset, but crazy), I feel wrong, I feel used, I feel betrayed and I feel lost, as cliche as that may sound... and I don't know what to think. I'm not crying, but I want to.

I'm trying to type words to explain or vent or... anything.

I just can't.
I'm so sorry! I hurt my heart when I read that and I don't even know the situation. The feeling of betrayal is horrible as specially when it comes from someone closest to you He just disappeared without saying anything?
Everyone has their own way of dealing with loss. I try to keep myself busy to keep my mind off of it. A good cry always helps when you're sad.
AmyJo1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:40 PM   #4096
x0emnem0x

x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyJo1976 View Post
I'm so sorry! I hurt my heart when I read that and I don't even know the situation. The feeling of betrayal is horrible as specially when it comes from someone closest to you He just disappeared without saying anything?
Everyone has their own way of dealing with loss. I try to keep myself busy to keep my mind off of it. A good cry always helps when you're sad.
Unfortunately it's not the first time it has happened but it has been quite awhile since the last time it did and he always promised up and down he wouldn't do it again. He's just ignoring me, I can tell... and it sucks...
Old 06-06-2017, 07:30 PM   #4097
AmyJo1976
Corpulently Content

AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0emnem0x View Post
Unfortunately it's not the first time it has happened but it has been quite awhile since the last time it did and he always promised up and down he wouldn't do it again. He's just ignoring me, I can tell... and it sucks...
Him doing you that way is so wrong for what ever the reason. Silence is the worst form of torture and in my experience can cause irreparable damage to a relationship. Hopefully he will reach out to you soon.
AmyJo1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #4098
Tracii

Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Sorry you are going thru that but I'm sure there is a reason but it may not be what you think it is so wait a bit I'm sure he will be in touch.
One thing I do know is guys will distance themselves if they feel the woman is too needy.It makes them feel trapped with no way out.
Relationships are hard thats why I am not in one.
Tracii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:39 AM   #4099
x0emnem0x

We're not in a relationship. It's complicated. But he's not the type of person to distance himself because he thinks someone is needy. That's childish.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:50 PM   #4100
lille

lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Future niece was in a car accident and has no short term memory currently. Prayers it's just a bad concussion and she pulls through ok. She's only 16.
lille is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
god hates tags, sad, unhappy