Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 11-30-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
Mitchapalooza

Mitchapalooza can now change their title
Default Tilapia

I have seen threads about being green and that reminded me to ask about tilapia. Do many of you all like it or have tried it?
Mitchapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchapalooza View Post
I have seen threads about being green and that reminded me to ask about tilapia. Do many of you all like it or have tried it?
Tried it, found it utterly uninspiring. Would love to find some good ways to use it, because as you say, it is an ecology-friendly way to get your fish (or flesh in general).
Old 11-30-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
Mitchapalooza

Mitchapalooza can now change their title
Default yeah me too

everyone says its the most wonderful thing but i can only see the eco friendly side i guess. i just wanted to get some other thoughts
Mitchapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
CarlaSixx
Just Another Weirdo

CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!

I had to google it. I just asked my mother about it. She tried it and didn't think it all that special. I, on the other hand, can't eat it cuz I get sick on any kind of seafood.
CarlaSixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
nugget34

nugget34 does more than just post hot picsnugget34 does more than just post hot picsnugget34 does more than just post hot pics

its a introduced pest here in australia, if you catch them its against the law to throw them back in the water alive.

the Filipinos eat them but thats about it here
nugget34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I love tilapia. I like it a lot more than mahi-mahi.

I batter dip and fry it like any other white type fish.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
Christov
On Timeout

Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Christov has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Isn't Tilapia a venereal disease?
Christov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #8
Cors
Delurking

Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!

I love tilapia! It is pretty popular in Asia. I am a terrible cook so I have no good recipes to share, but I love it fried with sweet sour tomato sauce or steamed (amazing if the fish is very fresh) with plenty of ginger and mushrooms.
Cors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
Jon Blaze
Dusk

Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!

Tried it and I like it. I caught some in Okinawa when I was younger as well.

"Happiness is not stopping to think if you are."- Palmer Sondreal
Jon Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:11 PM   #10
bmann0413
PLAYER ONE READY! START!

bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Heh, tilapia is the only fish my mom used to cook for my family on Friday nights. In fact, I think she still does.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:36 AM   #11
willowmoon
Don't Panic!

willowmoon has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!willowmoon has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!willowmoon has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!willowmoon has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!willowmoon has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!willowmoon has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!willowmoon has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!willowmoon has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!willowmoon has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!willowmoon has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!willowmoon has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christov View Post
Isn't Tilapia a venereal disease?
If it's not, it should be. Tried it once, didn't care for it much, although maybe it was because of how it was prepared. But yeah, I now steer clear from it.
willowmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #12
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Aren't tilapia also known as 'crudsuckers'?
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:42 PM   #13
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I've read that tilapia and catfish are similar in taste. I've always considered them just another white fish, but now I'm considering cornbread batter and deep fry.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #14
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I've read that tilapia and catfish are similar in taste. I've always considered them just another white fish, but now I'm considering cornbread batter and deep fry.
Tilapia and farm-raised catfish are very similiar, yes.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:49 AM   #15
kentwildt

kentwildt can now change their title
Default Tilapia

O.K. this is what I know about tilapia. -I live in the tropics, so I know that fish can survive anywhere: It comes from Asia.
It is a marketable fish to produce in these types of climates because it growes quickly and does not require much care, basically just oxigenating the water and feeding it.
It is also good because when cooked, it does not give off a big fishy smell.

The downside that I find, living in here is that cultvating it tends to get out of control. For example, if you have Tilapia in a pond, and you supply water from a nearby river, and some newborn Tilapia "escape" and go and get in that nearby river, believe me those little ones will grow and survive from anything they find, including other newborn fish from other species, eventually getting rid of the other species.

However, Tilapia has proven to be a good exportable product that helps our little country´s economy.
kentwildt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #16
MLadyJ

MLadyJ does more than just post hot picsMLadyJ does more than just post hot picsMLadyJ does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Fuzzy, tilapia (to me) has a much cleaner taste than any type of catfish. Even the pond raised catfish taste kind of muddy, to me. I pat it dry and season it with a little flour mixed with some type of seasons salt ( my favorite is Penzeys 4 S) meanwhile put a pan on the burner..heat it up, add a drizzle of olive oil, when it just starts to smoke put the fish in and leave it until it nicely golden, flip the fish iver and finish it in a hot oven (400 degrees) for about 10 minutes..and enjoy.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:31 PM   #17
knottyknicky
Hips like Cinderella

knottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticed

Its just a white fish. I use it when I make fish tacos.
knottyknicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:44 AM   #18
sunnie1653
Happiest. Mommy. Ever. :)

sunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I like it. It makes good fish tacos, or I even tried "Chef Paul's Redfish blackening spice" on it and just sprinkled it on and cooked it in olive oil in a skillet. That's pretty good too
sunnie1653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:17 AM   #19
it's only me

it's only me can now change their title

love it, i love almost any kind of fish, i just about eat it everyday, but there are certain kinds of fish we can only eat(kosher) because of religious beliefs, but i sometimes deep fry it, just like any other fish, but mostly i just add lemon pepper, red pepper & a little seasoning salt, a small amount of olive oil and pan fry it.
it's only me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:08 AM   #20
HeavyDuty24
Come on rise up

HeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

omg Tilapia is one of my FAVIROTE Fish.lean and healthy,only thing you don't get the Omega-3's in Tilapia like you would in Salmon or any other Fish.but you seriously can't go wrong with most Fish in general.lol
Old 12-22-2010, 10:18 PM   #21
jewels_mystery
Urban Hippie

jewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going on

I love Tilapia. I use either italian breadcrumbs or panko. I usually add extra herbs and parmesan cheese to the breading. yummmm
Old 12-23-2010, 09:02 AM   #22
HeavyDuty24
Come on rise up

HeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels_mystery View Post
I love Tilapia. I use either italian breadcrumbs or panko. I usually add extra herbs and parmesan cheese to the breading. yummmm
i do that sometimes too! i usally mix Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing with Ketchup.so good!
Old 12-25-2010, 10:22 PM   #23
jewels_mystery
Urban Hippie

jewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty24 View Post
i do that sometimes too! i usally mix Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing with Ketchup.so good!
lemon poppy seed with ketchup. that sounds interesting.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:13 AM   #24
HeavyDuty24
Come on rise up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels_mystery View Post
lemon poppy seed with ketchup. that sounds interesting.
yes it is,my favirote mixture. it's very good and everything taste just right.LOL
Old 02-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #25
Sasquatch!
A wild loser appeared!

Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Cajun Tilapia FTW.
Sasquatch! is offline   Reply With Quote