Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 12-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
fat9276

fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default coffee lovers, snobs etc!! :D

So I couldn't find a coffee lovers thread and I am such a coffee person

I also make my own mochas using fresh Cuban espresso and melted 90% dark chocolate (it is heaven in a little cup!!)

I love really dark, strong coffee and smelling all the different roasted beans from different countries! It makes me absolutely giddy

Last edited by fat9276; 02-16-2011 at 02:37 PM.
fat9276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I used to work for a coffee distributor and one of my responsibilities was to be able to describe the subtleties of the beans, roasts, brands, etc. I had to learn how to drink everything black. Unfortunately I became very sensitive to caffeine so I'm a limited snob.

My favorite is decaf Sumatra. It's smooth and earthy and full-bodied depending on the roast or brand, can have a creamy mouth-feel. I don't like acidic coffees, often described as having a 'wine-y' flavor.

You can manipulate the acidity or bitterness of a coffee by how it's ground. The finer the grind, the more bitter, ie; espresso is made from coffee that's sometimes ground as fine as powder. You need less coffee for it so you see a lot of it around. Mellita is one brand like this. The coarser the grind the smoother the flavor but unfortunately you need more coffee. You'll see coarse grinds for percolators, known for producing some of the most flavorful brews.

Most drip coffee makers' filters aren't designed to handle a coarse grind so the grind is middle range and results vary.

Coffee is most flavorful in the first 30 minutes of brewing. After that the oils separate and it gets more bitter as it sits, which is why you often see a little oil slick on the surface. A lot of people do like the bitterness which is why you see chicory introduced into blends esp in the south.

Also the flavor of a coffee is influenced by brewing methods, ie; Turkish coffee, and French press.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
iglooboy55
black is looking white

iglooboy55 has super-sized repiglooboy55 has super-sized repiglooboy55 has super-sized repiglooboy55 has super-sized rep

I'm a tea guy, but I worked at Dunkins for about six months.
My iced coffees were legendary.
iglooboy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
A lot of people do like the bitterness which is why you see chicory introduced into blends esp in the south.
Coffee was a luxury in the nineteenth century. Poor people roasted and ground chicory root as an inexpensive substitute. Then came the Civil War, and the Yankees blockaded the port of New Orleans. Occasionally a fast ship managed to run the blockade and bring some coffee in, but generally, cups of java were few and far between: the Southerners managed by eking out their meager coffee supplies with chicory. A lot of them got to like the taste, and Cafe du Monde in New Orleans sells coffee with chicory to this day (and I buy it from them online).
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
Coffee was a luxury in the nineteenth century. Poor people roasted and ground chicory root as an inexpensive substitute. Then came the Civil War, and the Yankees blockaded the port of New Orleans. Occasionally a fast ship managed to run the blockade and bring some coffee in, but generally, cups of java were few and far between: the Southerners managed by eking out their meager coffee supplies with chicory. A lot of them got to like the taste, and Cafe du Monde in New Orleans sells coffee with chicory to this day (and I buy it from them online).
I knew that and was turned on to that brand by the guy who sold me my Subaru!!

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 12-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I <3 good, strong coffee with a touch of cream. Real cream, not milk.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:38 AM   #7
ThatFatGirl
Why am I still here?

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Not a coffee snob, but nothing beats freshly ground San Francisco Coffee Company French Roast from our percolator.

Fleeting Fancies
ThatFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:07 AM   #8
TraciJo67
On Timeout

TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I love a good, dark, bitter, buttery, velvetty smooth shot of finely ground espresso when blended with steamed whole milk and a few teaspoons of brown sugar followed by a drizzle of honey. I'm too lazy to be a coffee snob, because I don't like grinding my own. I use espresso pods. I've tried Pod Merchant, but haven't found anything that's even as good as the Starbucks pods (which are very hit or miss and the quality can vary by the individual package within the box). If anyone has any pod suggestions, I'm all ears!
TraciJo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:20 AM   #9
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

Whenever I'm anywhere near a latino area I have to stop for two cafe con leches. I don't care if they give me palpitations and make my hands shake. They're just sooooo good.

Traci, I've never tried honey in my coffee. I have to do that.

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 12-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #10
ThatFatGirl
Why am I still here?

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

A Latino friend in college used to make me Cafe Con Leche made with Cafe Bustelo. I don't think I've purchased Cafe Bustelo since college, but I remember it being a really strong, relatively inexpensive coffee. Every once in a while I think about picking some up, but have yet to. Anyone else drink CB, like it or hate it?

Fleeting Fancies
ThatFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #11
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatFatGirl View Post
A Latino friend in college used to make me Cafe Con Leche made with Cafe Bustelo. I don't think I've purchased Cafe Bustelo since college, but I remember it being a really strong, relatively inexpensive coffee. Every once in a while I think about picking some up, but have yet to. Anyone else drink CB, like it or hate it?

I buy it once in a while. I like it a lot.

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 12-06-2010, 12:20 AM   #12
Sydney Vicious

Sydney Vicious has super-sized repSydney Vicious has super-sized repSydney Vicious has super-sized repSydney Vicious has super-sized repSydney Vicious has super-sized rep

Sumatra! <3 extra strong, with sugar and cream, please!!
Old 12-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #13
knottyknicky
Hips like Cinderella

knottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticed

http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/...product/id/137

this espresso is a-mazing. truly an experience to drink this stuff.
knottyknicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #14
ashmamma84
Om Namah Shivayah

ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I agree with knottyknicky. Intelligensia is damn good coffee. I make a point to stop into the Intelligensia at Millennium Park whenever I'm in that part of the city. However, I have to say my favorite and something I splurge on is Jamaican Blue Mountain. I could drink it all day without getting jittery the way I do with other blends.

Last edited by ashmamma84; 12-10-2010 at 03:52 PM.
ashmamma84 is offline   Reply With Quote