Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 12-10-2010, 11:43 PM   #1
mpls_girl26

mpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging in
Default Holiday Baking

I have all the ingredients and several doughs made and waiting to be made. Fortunately blizzard conditions and 16'+ of snow will make it a good weekend to stay inside.

So......what holiday baking will you be doing this year? My list:

- peanut butter blossoms
- chocolate crinkles
- chocolate chip cookies (special request)
- Peppermint Stick Spritz
- various sprtiz cookies
- Almond Toffee
- Peppermint Bark
- Peanut Butter Cups

Think that's about all I have in me.
mpls_girl26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
Ashleyohtori

Ashleyohtori can now change their title

That sounds yummy!

This year, I have only baked a golden almond rum cake. It was really good!
Ashleyohtori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I just went through my cookie bible.. so i'm going to make this:

White Chocolate Biggies
Dandy Candy Oatmeal cookies
Sugar Cookies
Cranberry cheese bars (gonna use jellyu instead of cranberry sauce)
Snickerdoodles

And maybe some toffee

I'm going to make up plates to give to our neighbors for xmas. I typically do that every year.
All this will be done next weekend and leading up to christmas.
HottiMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

- sundae cookies - aka the best cookie, ever
- kiss cookies
- light fruitcake /bread - so good
- pumpkin bread with orange zest cream cheese ribbon
- pecan tartlets
- makers mark bourbon balls
- mexican wedding cookies
- peppermint fudge
- peanut butter fudge
- stollen bread

This is the plan. The plan always changes.
mossystate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Mossy - do you care to elaborate on those sundae cookies, as in share the ingredients? Oh, and maybe the directions would be helpful too.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
mossystate

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Bunny, I shall return with the ingredient list...and the actual instructions, yes.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossystate View Post
Bunny, I shall return with the ingredient list...and the actual instructions, yes.
Thank you. Especially since I am in the process of gathering recipes for some full on baking this year. Just cookies, so I want a nice range of flavors.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #8
MzDeeZyre
Fatty McFatCakes

MzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMzDeeZyre is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I spent all day today doing some Holiday Baking. Our list included the following:

Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies

SnickerDoodles

Peanut Butter Blossoms

Sugar Cookies

We made and decorated over 200 cookies today.....good lord thats a lot of work!
Old 12-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #9
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpls_girl26 View Post
Fortunately blizzard conditions and 16'+ of snow will make it a good weekend to stay inside.
I see your snowmageddon (right outside my front door, which I've been clearing every two hours to keep from being literally snowed in) and I raise you 'I have to be at work in the morning'. Oh, and the landlord hasn't cleared any of the snow and the parking lot isn't plowed, yet. It's about a 100 ft. walk through the drifts to get to my car to dig it out.

I made:

Peanut Butter Blossoms
Chai Birch Logs
Baklava
Dark Chocolate Salted Caramel bars
Old 12-12-2010, 04:15 AM   #10
toni
In the know

toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I am making cake pops for the holiday parties I am invited to this year.

These

I am not going into detail with the leaf on each one. I am replacing that with christmas themed sprinkles.

I am still looking for a cheap cute display for the pops.
toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #11
theladypoet
I am my own non-sequitur

theladypoet has super-sized reptheladypoet has super-sized reptheladypoet has super-sized reptheladypoet has super-sized rep

It's been a bakefest at my house this year. So far we've made:

chocolate shortbread cookies
early grey tea shortbread cookies
whipped shortbread cookies
chocolate-dipped oatmeal shortbread cookies
sugar cookies
gingerbread cookies (soooooo many gingerbread cookies)
caramel corn
chocolate mice
spritz cookies
butter tarts
Nuts and bolts

and we're planning on making:
More gingerbread
fudge
coconut lime banana bread
more chocolate shortbread
more caramel corn(the 1st 2 batches have already been eaten)
mocha shortbread
and, if it stays cold for a while, snowbank fudge

This is why I love Christmas at my house.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #12
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Nanaimo Bars and Shortbread.

All I need to survive Christmas. (and my Mom's Sesame Chicken that she makes on Boxing Day...oh and the homemade Kielbassa sausage she always gets from the German delis). I digress.

Hehe.
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:11 PM   #13
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni View Post

These

I am not going into detail with the leaf on each one. I am replacing that with christmas themed sprinkles.

Those are so cute! Not sure what would work for the display. I probably would stick them in a Christmas mug (most people have at least one). Roll foil into a ball and put that in the mug, then poke holes for the sticks?
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #14
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni View Post

These

What about a piece of styrofoam? You can make it into a shape or buy it as a shape. You can gift wrap it or decorate it. The you can poke them into it and everyone can grab and go. Or if you need to make individual stands, you can glue two popsicle sticks criss cross and then glue a square of stryofoam into it. Or you can turn a styrofoam cup upside down and stuff it with paper to give it weight and then stick the pops into that. Take pictures!
Old 12-12-2010, 06:09 PM   #15
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_A_Bunny View Post
What about a piece of styrofoam? You can make it into a shape or buy it as a shape. You can gift wrap it or decorate it. The you can poke them into it and everyone can grab and go. Or if you need to make individual stands, you can glue two popsicle sticks criss cross and then glue a square of stryofoam into it. Or you can turn a styrofoam cup upside down and stuff it with paper to give it weight and then stick the pops into that. Take pictures!
OHH..How about a styrofoam tree or make a topiary?

Great ideas!
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:47 AM   #16
toni
In the know

toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft View Post
Those are so cute! Not sure what would work for the display. I probably would stick them in a Christmas mug (most people have at least one). Roll foil into a ball and put that in the mug, then poke holes for the sticks?
That is a good idea. Only the really special people would get a mug.

Quote:
I LOVE THE PRESENT IDEA. I am so doing that. Sounds easy enough and super cute. Thanks guys!
Old 12-13-2010, 10:48 AM   #17
toni
In the know

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty View Post
OHH..How about a styrofoam tree or make a topiary?

Great ideas!
A tree is a great idea too. I think it might be too difficult for me. I am not creative at all.

I will do much better with gift wrapping a big rectangle of styrofoam. LOL
Old 12-13-2010, 07:04 PM   #18
mossystate

Quote:
Mossy - do you care to elaborate on those sundae cookies, as in share the ingredients? Oh, and maybe the directions would be helpful too.
Here you go.
--------------

- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening ( don't use butter flavored - barf )
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted ( I like Bakers brand and I up it by another square. It makes it a deeper chocolate, and that's how I roll )
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 1/4 cup cherry juice
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherries, chopped ( because I tend to tweak things, I can't give you an exact amount, but I like adding a lil more of the chopped cherries...trust me on this, Bunny )
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped

Large marshmallows, cut in half . Yes, you can use scissors or just rip them in two...that's what I do. :P

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. You caaaaan line pan with parchment, but if you have a trusty cookie sheet, I see no need. Also, no greasing the pan, or I will slap your hand.

Stir together flour, soda and salt, set aside.

Cream brown sugar, shortening, egg and vanilla until well blended. Add melted unsweetened chocolate and mix well. Add dry ingredients and stir ( don't use mixer ) until mixed, then stir in milk, cherry juice, cherries, nuts and mix until well blended.

Drop by teaspoon ( I prefer the rounded method here ) onto cookie sheets and bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.

As soon as the cookies come out of the oven, gently press a marshmallow half in the center. Let the cookies sit on cookie sheet until sturdy enough to transfer, then move to a wire rack.

-------

Now, the topping. Some people will take canned frosting to these and that makes my very soul hurt.
All you have to do is get out the trusty double boiler and in it melt some semi-sweet choclate chips and a little Crisco ( again, not butter flavored! ). As I do not measure this kind of thing, I can't say exactly how much...ummmmmm...a glob?...a big tablespoon? I also like to throw in some unsweetened chocolate/very dark.

When the cookies have completely cooled, place rack over the sink or on top of some paper, and drizzle the chocolate over the cookies. You can douche the holy hell out of them, but I like when there is still marshmallow showing and the chocolate just gently cascades in parts over the cookie.

NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMPORTANT PART !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While it says to bake these for 12 minutes, do not do so unless your oven is a freak of nature. You do not, of course, want these things sloppy when you take them out of the oven, but you want to underbake just a smidge. This will insure the brownie-like feel of the cookie. Do not rely on timers...rely on those eyeballs of yours. I have sent these to a couple of people who used to post here, and they can attest to the superiority of my sundae cookies. If you overbake, don't come crying to me, and don't tell anybody that I gave you the recipe.

I make mine as close to Xmas as possible, but they hold up really well if you bake them correctly and place waxed paper under and between layers ( when completely set up of course ), and then cover in plastic wrap.

amen
Old 12-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #19
Carrie

Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Do any of you baking goddesses have a particularly sublime snickerdoodle recipe you wouldn't mind sharing?
Old 12-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #20
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

ooh good question! I was just going to google for my snickerdoodles.
HottiMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:00 PM   #21
Brenda

Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

""I am making cake pops for the holiday parties I am invited to this year.

These

I am still looking for a cheap cute display for the pops.""

Since they are to look like poinsettia's how about a clay pot, wrap it with a holiday bow, put styrofoam covered in tinfoil inside and stick the pops in like they are the flower.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:07 PM   #22
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

Thank you Mossy! I think I will make these for a time when I can be more loving as it seems required. New Year's Day perhaps. Thank you for sharing.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #23
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Not doing so well with roll-out cookies lately, so trying some new things.

Spritz (4 flavors)
pecan tassies
fruitcake cookies
pistacchio thumbrints
rum balls (made with Malibu)
frosted gingerbread

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi
BBW Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:30 PM   #24
mossystate

Quote:
Thank you Mossy! I think I will make these for a time when I can be more loving as it seems required. New Year's Day perhaps. Thank you for sharing.
YW, Ms. Bunny.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:58 PM   #25
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie View Post
Do any of you baking goddesses have a particularly sublime snickerdoodle recipe you wouldn't mind sharing?
Carrie, I posted these in the sugar cookie thread, but I'll post them here too. They're chai spiced snickerdoodles and they rock. Best thing ever. I made them for a party and they disappeared within minutes.

Here's the link to the recipe.

Here's a pic:

Try them. You will love them.
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote