Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 12-20-2010, 07:29 AM   #26
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

I didn't do any holiday baking this year (oven's broken and probably won't be replaced until sometime in January), but I made a double batch of rum balls since a few people asked for them and they don't require any cooking.

I'm also going to make a batch of mint chocolate cookies in the toaster oven later in the week though. I start with the basic chocolate crinkle cookie recipe and go from there. I make them a little smaller than the recipe calls for, use plain sugar instead of powdered to roll them in, and right when they come out of the oven, I press an unwrapped mint truffle Hershey's kiss down into the middle of them.

Tracy
Old 12-20-2010, 04:31 PM   #27
Brenda

Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I usually baked for days on end during Christmas but scaled way back this year for a variety of reasons.

This year I am baking: peanut butter kiss cookies, peanut butter cup cookies, a hazel nut choclate chip cookie, caramel thumb prints and possibly world peace cookies. May thrown in some blondies and brownies if my husband looks especially forlorn over the lack of selection.

Brnda
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #28
Carrie

Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vickie View Post
Carrie, I posted these in the sugar cookie thread, but I'll post them here too. They're chai spiced snickerdoodles and they rock. Best thing ever. I made them for a party and they disappeared within minutes.

Here's the link to the recipe.

Here's a pic:

Try them. You will love them.
Thanks, Vickie!! I'm done with my holiday baking, but I've bookmarked this recipe and will definitely be making them in the very near future.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:55 PM   #29
theladypoet
I am my own non-sequitur

theladypoet has super-sized reptheladypoet has super-sized reptheladypoet has super-sized reptheladypoet has super-sized rep

It's not really baking, but I just recently started making homemade marshmallows and am now in love. I started with kaluha marshmallows (which are divine in coffee and hot chocolate), yesterday I made orange brandy marshmallows and today I dipped the orange marshmallows in dark chocolate. OMG amazing. The combination of orange brandy, tiny nuggets of orange peel, fluffy marshmallow and rich chocolate- well, let's just say I'll never get the same kind of satisfaction from eating a store-bought marshmallow again.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:39 PM   #30
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

I never would have undertaken such a huge project if my sister wasn't here to help. We baked for two days straight and made over 800 cookies.

This is the list:

Southern Cream cookies - an old Betty Crocker recipe with sour cream and nuts.
Gingersnaps
Peanut butter crisscross cookies
Peanut butter bars
Tollhouse Chocolate Chip bars made in a jellyroll pan
Fudge filled bars (my personal favorite)
Lemon shortbread cookies (with Meyer lemon zest)
Mint cookies made with red and white dough
Whipped jewels (mostly butter cookies with a bit of raspberry or lime filling)
Snickerdoodles
Chocolate cookies with white chips

And while we were baking my neighbor stopped by and brought some of the cookies his wife baked. So we had chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal cookies and some kind of chocolate cookie that was rolled in confectioner's sugar and was cracked on the outside with a soft gooey center - note to self: must get this recipe)

I am officially done baking for this holiday. Hubby has his tins filled for his work friends and I have my other cookies packaged up to serve Christmas Eve.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #31
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I finally caved and am making a batch of Snickerdoodles today using the following recipe:

14 5/8 oz. (2 3/4 cups) flour (at 8500 ft. use 16 oz. flour or 3 cups)
2 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp coarse salt (at 8500 ft. use 1/2 tsp + an extra pinch)
8 oz. unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 tbsps white sugar
2 tsps ground cinnamon
Oven: 350F. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Mix well (you could sift it, but I dont). Beat the butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar together with paddle attachment on medium until fluffy and pale about 3 minutes. Add the eggs and beat until incorporated. Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture. In a small bowl, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar with the cinnamon until evenly mixed. Shape the cookie dough into little balls. I like 1-inch diameter balls, but the book suggests 1 3/4-inch diameter balls. If you make smaller ones, you make more cookies. If you make bigger ones, you have fewer (but bigger) cookies. Your choice. Roll the dough in the cinnamon-sugar mixture and place on a baking sheet at least 3-inches apart (okay, for the smaller dough balls, they can safely be 2-inches apart). Bake the large ones for 12-15 minutes until the edges are golden. Bake the small ones for 10-11 minutes (11 minutes for me). Remove to cooling racks and let cook. Store in airtight containers for up to 3 days. Makes about 18 large cookies or 4 dozen smaller cookies.
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote