Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > GLBTQ

Old 01-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #1
butch
cuddly, hairy, and fat

butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default 2011: what will it hold for you? for us (LGBTQ folks)?

Hi all,

Wondering what you all are thinking about the New Year, and what you hope, want, need, expect to see in the New Year? I don't believe in resolutions, so I'm not making any, but I do expect 2011 to be a wonderful year for me, personally. I am also very hopeful that the work being done in Massachusetts to advance Trans Rights continues to make headway in the state legislature (see http://www.masstpc.org/ for more information), and I expect to see even more gains in the realm of gay marriage (Maryland, I'm looking at you, since you're one of the few places that has gotten even less conservative after this last election).

Happy New Year to you all, and may 2011 bring you joy, love, and laughter.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
Dmitra
Drawing down the moonpie

Dmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDmitra is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Some of the things milling in my head in the wake of Butch's post:

While I'm still really happy about DADT being repealed I fear that the mid-term backlash signaled open season on delaying tactics for its implementation.

I continue to hope that legal marriage will be instated for gay people, and polyfolk, across the US.

I am extremely distressed at Justice Scalia's recent soundbite that women and gays have no guaranteed constitutional protections against discrimination. That guy seriously needs to have an aneurysm or something. I recognize that this is true, as the ERA never passed and the 14th and 15th amendments don't mention women/gays explicitly. However, given his record as a conservative martinet it is all too easy to see how he would use this to stoke the fires of misogynists and homophobes. So, despite my aneurysm comment I'm hoping that Scalia will have an epiphany of epic proportions (and quit sucking on the corporate tit while he's at it).

Resolutions aren't my style, either. Part of me wants to be all, "There is no try, there is only do," but that kind of stuff only goes so far in what passes for my every day life. Hope, joy, love, humor, and compassion are what I strive for. Depression and giving up are the demons I wrestle with on the way, though. Here's to continuing to fight the good fight, eh?

Last edited by Dmitra; 01-04-2011 at 04:41 PM. Reason: It's Tuesday.
Dmitra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
Cors
Delurking

Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!

Hope 2011 will be a good year for all the lovely people here.

Regretfully I am still on a break from group activism and the communities I was involved in, but on a personal level I would really like to see less ageism, biphobia, fatphobia, kinkphobia, queerphobia, transphobia, racism, classism and other kinds of discrimination within the community.
Cors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
sowhat
Contains no MSG

sowhat can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokessowhat can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I hope that rights for all glbtqetc people continue to either improve or remain the same in this year. I hope everyone on this forum is well and betters themselves this year.

For me personally, I hope I can get more involved in rights issues because I currently do nothing. I hope to go to Camp Trans this year given that it's only 2 hours from my house and it would be a great way to get more involved in the community.
sowhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
butch
cuddly, hairy, and fat

butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Wow, Justice Scalia is horrid. I mean, I've known that for some time, but to see that he goes beyond conservative to reactionary is frightening.

I'd like to see more queer people speak up for size acceptance, and for society as whole to think about the L,B,T, and Q when they talk about 'gay rights.' Too much of our culture still conflates 'gay' (as in 'gay male') with the rest of us in the alphabet soup, and I for one find it to be tiresome.

You don't give us the full rainbow when you present us with snippets of gay male culture and then pat yourselves on the back for being diverse, mass media, OK?
Old 01-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Here in Canada I sadly predict a bit of a rough year. It looks like a federal election is getting more likely, and part of the Conservative plan for forging a majority coalition of voters seems to be to appeal to socially conservative elements in immigrant communities, and veiled anti-GLBTQ language seems to be part of their strategy in that regard. I desperately hope that it blows up in their face and helps keep them in minority status, but that is far from guaranteed.