Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 01-08-2011, 08:20 AM   #1
MissStacie
Mrs. Gnoom

MissStacie makes people happy simply by logging inMissStacie makes people happy simply by logging inMissStacie makes people happy simply by logging inMissStacie makes people happy simply by logging inMissStacie makes people happy simply by logging inMissStacie makes people happy simply by logging inMissStacie makes people happy simply by logging inMissStacie makes people happy simply by logging inMissStacie makes people happy simply by logging inMissStacie makes people happy simply by logging in
Default An American in Germany dreams of...

Kraft Mac and Cheese..

Ok..so I AM 8 months pregnant, and this might be the cause of it, but I woke up this morning (what do I mean, woke up..I don't think I slept!?) craving Kraft Mac and Cheese. Can I go to the store and buy it? Sure...off the import shelf and for a regular sized box I will pay 2,59 euro! I refuse! I say again, I REFUSE to be f'd that hard without a kiss....

What I should do is have an American friend send me some....where I know they will pay $.39/box....God, how silly is the price difference???

Ok...I just had to vent a little...
Old 01-08-2011, 08:37 AM   #2
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Way Back When...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissStacie View Post
Kraft Mac and Cheese..

Ok..so I AM 8 months pregnant, and this might be the cause of it, but I woke up this morning (what do I mean, woke up..I don't think I slept!?) craving Kraft Mac and Cheese. Can I go to the store and buy it? Sure...off the import shelf and for a regular sized box I will pay 2,59 euro! I refuse! I say again, I REFUSE to be f'd that hard without a kiss....

What I should do is have an American friend send me some....where I know they will pay $.39/box....God, how silly is the price difference???

Hopefully there are still troops and commissaries over there. Maybe an Army or USAF Dimmer over there will see your post and offer to bring you some!

I'm an Army brat who left there for the last time in Jan '71, so everything has changed since then and I don't really know if troops are still there, but if they are......Kraft mac & cheez for MissStacie pleez!!!

You got to lose to know how to win.(Aerosmith-Dream On)

Fat is like grass, it'll never go away and there's a hell
of a lot of money to be made by controlling it!

Life is only therapy, real expensive and no guarantees.

Fat is only ugly to those who hate.

Federal Pacific Panels & Breakers have known fire hazards!
imfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
Missy9579
Formerly BigCutieViolet!

Missy9579 makes people happy simply by logging inMissy9579 makes people happy simply by logging inMissy9579 makes people happy simply by logging inMissy9579 makes people happy simply by logging inMissy9579 makes people happy simply by logging inMissy9579 makes people happy simply by logging inMissy9579 makes people happy simply by logging inMissy9579 makes people happy simply by logging in

I have to say Kraft macaroni and cheese is no where near .39 cents a box here! If you are lucky you can catch it on sale for $1 a box.....but it is more normally like $1.39 a box or so.

Take it from me...Kraft and I are the best of friends and it is the one thing I will NEVER go store brand on.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

.... having grown up on mac&cheese myself, I empathize with your situation.

Here's my personal substitute - all ingredients obtainable in a German supermarket, value for money (but since real food more than 0.39$ :-), very easy to make - and the added advantage of it being fresh, non-processed food (especially keeping baby in mind probably the better alternative) :

Buy
- Barilla Maccheroncini
- Raclette cheese (at best sliced, either Swiss or French)
- Rotkšppchen Landrahm

Cook Maccheroncini until they meet your personal 'al dente' preferences.
In the meantime cut Raclette in small cubes.
Drain cooked Maccheroncini and put back into pot on stove, throw in Raclette pieces and 1-2 tablespoons of Landrahm (depending on amount of mac). Stir energetically on warm stove until Raclette and Landrahm have gone into goo-ey symbiosis (about 1-2 minutes)

Heap huge portion on pre-warmed plate ... und guten Appetit!
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default To Die For

Ya' know, MissStacey, I'd mail you 15 boxes of Kraft mac n cheese for 1 dozen freash Brotchen packed in dry ice! Just saying.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I hear you Stacie.. and what you really need is the Kraft American Cheese powder that is sold in those little foil packets in every Blue box. I don't know about international delivery, and the costs involved, and if it will reach you in time:

http://store.firehousepantrystore.com/lbchedpwd.html

Sells Kraft American Cheese powder in bulk, by the pound.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Have you tried Amazon? They also sell food products in bulk with a 15% discount and free shipping. I don't know about selling in Germany, but you might want to check into that. BTW - Congratulations!!!
Old 01-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #8
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I lived in Gemany as an exchange student in the 90's. Actually, that was where I had my first real beer. IIRC you're legal at 17 with an adult chaperone, or did they change that law?

I don't recall seeing Kraft brand specifically, but I'm pretty sure you can buy both pasta and cheese at the local supermarket. I actually prefer homemade Mac n' Cheese with real melted cheese. Also, 'tis very good if you saute' some onions and add them in.

And yes, if you can, try Amazon.com. They are amazing for everything.

Last edited by EMH1701; 01-09-2011 at 07:16 PM.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
jewels_mystery
Urban Hippie

jewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy9579 View Post
I have to say Kraft macaroni and cheese is no where near .39 cents a box here! If you are lucky you can catch it on sale for $1 a box.....but it is more normally like $1.39 a box or so.

Take it from me...Kraft and I are the best of friends and it is the one thing I will NEVER go store brand on.
I second this. The cheapest I found it here is 89 a box on sale.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:55 AM   #10
MissStacie
Mrs. Gnoom

MissStacie makes people happy simply by logging inMissStacie makes people happy simply by logging inMissStacie makes people happy simply by logging inMissStacie makes people happy simply by logging inMissStacie makes people happy simply by logging inMissStacie makes people happy simply by logging inMissStacie makes people happy simply by logging inMissStacie makes people happy simply by logging inMissStacie makes people happy simply by logging inMissStacie makes people happy simply by logging in

I've made homemade MnC, and its great, but sometimes you just want the cheapie stuff.

Amazon doesn't sell food products to Germany yet...they are working on it,I guess.

And, currently, the dollar/euro exchange is $1 equals 0,82 euro...so for me to pay 2,59 euro per box is absolutely absurd...

My SIL has a friend who is in the Am. Army and if I ask her to ask her friend, i can get some things, but its such a hassle as my SIL lives almost an hour away from us...

Meh....I'll live, I guess...

Thanks for the MnC support, guys!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:08 AM   #11
Emma
On Timeout

Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!

lol Just treat yourself to one box to crush the craving. You're pregnant and you deserve to indulge in what you like occasionally even if it is almost 3 euro.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #12
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

Default This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurvyEm View Post
lol Just treat yourself to one box to crush the craving. You're pregnant and you deserve to indulge in what you like occasionally even if it is almost 3 euro.
I fully agree! Ya' know, one box might just hold 'till the reinforcements arrive, too!

Old 01-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #13
bigsexy920
Ok I'll be good.

bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Its would be like going to the 7-11 to get it. Like an emergency.

Quote:
I

And, currently, the dollar/euro exchange is $1 equals 0,82 euro...so for me to pay 2,59 euro per box is absolutely absurd...

t2:

Thanks for the MnC support, guys!
bigsexy920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:14 AM   #14
Shosh
Susannah

Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Kraft Mac and Cheese..

I refuse to be f'd that hard without a kiss! Hahaha! What a classic expression.
I may have to use that some time.
Shosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #15
Webmaster
Chief Emeritus

Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Ja, das mit dem Wechselkurs ist schon ganz anders heute als es zu meinen Zeiten war. Damals kriegte man drei oder fast vier Deutsche Mark fuer einen Dollar und alles schien spottbillig in Deutschland.
Webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #16
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

Default What The Chief Said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
Ja, das mit dem Wechselkurs ist schon ganz anders heute als es zu meinen Zeiten war. Damals kriegte man drei oder fast vier Deutsche Mark fuer einen Dollar und alles schien spottbillig in Deutschland.
Yah, I'm ode enuff to remember when you could get 3 or 4 Marks for a Dollar!

Talk about old stuff, what ever happened to those box-with-handles style 220v/110v transformers? I can't even find a pic of one on the web and they were so common in the 50's and 60's over there.

Last edited by imfree; 01-16-2011 at 12:45 PM.