Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 02-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default February Iron Food Challenge

I checked the list and can't believe this has not already been used. So here it goes folks:

Since February 14th is quite famous for giving and recieving chocolate treats, I think the secret ingredient this month will be CHOCOLATE. It can be any type of chocolate, milk, dark, white, combo, solid, liquid, powder and mixes, such as cake or pudding. As long as one of the main ingredients is CHOCOLATE, please share your recipes.

Recipes will be accepted until the end of the month.

Here are the Past Challenges!

Past Iron Foodie Challenges

Dec - Oranges

Jan - Cream Cheese
Feb - Soda pop
Mar - Recipes containing a can of soup
Apr - Shrimp
May - Eggs
Jun - Liquor
Jul - Pasta/couscous etc Salads
Aug - Zucchini
Sep - Quick breads / Muffins
Oct - Cheese
Nov - Cranberries
Dec - Fudge

Jan - Slow Cooker Recipes
Feb - Potatoes
Mar - Garlic and Mushrooms
Apr - Chicken
May - Lemons
Jun - 30 min Hot Weather Recipes
Jul - Preserves - Jams, Chutneys, Relishes etc
Aug - Coffee
Sep - Tofu / Cottage Cheese
October - Pumpkin
November - Sweet Potatoes/Yams
December - Mint

January - Soup
February - Pork
March-Mexican Food
April - Cereal
May- Berries
June-Yogurt
July - Corn
August - Asian
September - Breakfast foods
October - Nuts
November - Onions
December - Meat in Casings

January - Side Salads
February - Spinach
March - Beans
April-hot sandwiches
May-Soy Sauce
June - cookies
July - Sour Cream
August - (Summer Break)
Sept - BBQ Foods.
October - Southern cuisine
November - Peanut butter
December-"Packaged Food"

January - rice
Old 02-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Coke Cake

Cake:
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 cup pecans
2 sticks butter
3 heaping tablespoons cocoa
1 cup Coke
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups miniature marshmellows

Icing:
1 stick butter
3 tablespoons cocoa
6 tablespoons Coke
1/2 (16 oz) box powdered sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cake:
Combine flour, sugar, and nuts in mixing bowl. Heat butter, Coke and cocoa to boiling. Pour over flour and sugar mixture. Mix thoroughly. Add buttermilk, eggs, soda, vanilla, and marshmellows. Beat together. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Icing:
Combine butter, cocoa, and Coke. Heat to boiling. Pour over powdered sugar. Beat with nuts and vanilla. Spoon over HOT cake. If icing is too thick heat more Coke and add to filling.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:33 AM   #3
BigCutieFiona

BigCutieFiona can now change their title
Default Saltine Toffee

There are several variations of this recipe floating around the world, but this is the one I use and it's my absolute favorite. I've never met someone who didn't just LOVE these.

Ingredients
1 cup butter (do NOT use margarine)
1 cup light brown sugar
1 package chocolate chips ( 1 1/2 to 2 cups)
40 saltine crackers (approximately 2 "sleeves")
1 cup chopped nuts (whatever your preference, I like sliced almonds personally)
nonstick cooking spray (DO NOT FORGET THIS)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350F.
Line cookie sheet with foil and spray with non-stick spray.
Lay crackers out flat on foil.
Melt sugar and butter in a pot over high heat until foamy, about 3 minutes.
Pour over crackers and spread to coat.
Bake 10 minutes in oven.
Remove from oven.
While hot, sprinkle with chocolate chips, let soften and melt, then spread.
Sprinkle with nuts.
Let cool.
Refrigerate until hardened (takes about 30 minutes to cool in the fridge, an hour is better if you can wait that long)
Break into pieces and get ready to fight like heck over who gets the last piece.
BigCutieFiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Step 1: Unwrap
Step 2: Eat

That's about the only recipe I have for chocolate
Old 02-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
mpls_girl26

mpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCutieFiona View Post
There are several variations of this recipe floating around the world, but this is the one I use and it's my absolute favorite. I've never met someone who didn't just LOVE these.

Ingredients
1 cup butter (do NOT use margarine)
1 cup light brown sugar
1 package chocolate chips ( 1 1/2 to 2 cups)
40 saltine crackers (approximately 2 "sleeves")
1 cup chopped nuts (whatever your preference, I like sliced almonds personally)
nonstick cooking spray (DO NOT FORGET THIS)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350F.
Line cookie sheet with foil and spray with non-stick spray.
Lay crackers out flat on foil.
Melt sugar and butter in a pot over high heat until foamy, about 3 minutes.
Pour over crackers and spread to coat.
Bake 10 minutes in oven.
Remove from oven.
While hot, sprinkle with chocolate chips, let soften and melt, then spread.
Sprinkle with nuts.
Let cool.
Refrigerate until hardened (takes about 30 minutes to cool in the fridge, an hour is better if you can wait that long)
Break into pieces and get ready to fight like heck over who gets the last piece.
I made these for Christmas this year to give out to people and everyone loved them. The only thing I did different was used dark brown sugar and I toasted the almonds. They were SOOOOO easy to make! I don't know how well they taste because I'm not a sweets eater.
mpls_girl26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaLois View Post
Step 1: Unwrap
Step 2: Eat

That's about the only recipe I have for chocolate
You don't have to make the chocolate, just provide a recipe that highlights the use of chocolate. But I like your way too.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default Hot Cocoa to Die For

Melt a chocolate bar into a pot of 2 cups whole milk or heavy cream if you prefer. Stir. Add a teaspoon of cinnamon if you like.

A little bit of rum goes extremely well with this.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_A_Bunny View Post
You don't have to make the chocolate, just provide a recipe that highlights the use of chocolate. But I like your way too.
I don't bake or make sweets very often, so I just don't have any good chocolate recipes. Co-incidentally, on Iron Chef America tonight the secret ingredient is Mexican Chocolate and they are using it in lots of savory recipes. I need to learn to make a good mole sauce with chocolate in it.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:51 AM   #9
crayola box

crayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going oncrayola box knows EXACTLY what's going on

Ask and you shall receive

Chicken Mole ~adapted from Paula Dean

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 chipotle peppers, roughly chopped
1 (10-ounce) can chicken broth
2 tablespoons peanut butter
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I used 1.5 hersheys dark choc. bar)
1 (5-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces **
Toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds), for garnish

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add onion and saute until translucent. Add garlic and spices and
continue to saute to toast and develop flavor. Add diced tomatoes, peppers, chipotles, broth, peanut butter,
and chocolate. Simmer for 10 minutes. Strain and puree until smooth.

Sear the chicken in a heavy bottomed hot saute pan over medium-high heat until browned on both sides.** Add to
casserole dish, cover with sauce and braise the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Garnish with pepitas and serve
with white rice.

**I use chicken breast, poached in broth and shredded, then mixed with the mole sauce. Roll up in tortillas cover with more sauce and bake for mole enchiladas!
crayola box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #10
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

Here is one of my all time favorite recipes using chocolate. Even hubby gobbles these up and he does not have the sweet tooth.

FUDGE FILLED BARS

Ingredients:

2 cups quick oats
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup pecans chopped (I usually add in an extra 1/2 cup because I love them)
1 - 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup chocolate chips (I prefer Ghiardelli milk chocolate chips)
2 TBS. shortening (NOT butter or margarine, use shortening)

Directions:

1. Mix oats, flour, brown sugar and salt. Stir well to combine.

2. Add butter and mix until crumbly. I use a steak knife. This is the most intensive labor part of the recipe so sit down and get comfortable. You must incorporate the butter into the dry. It takes a few minutes but it will be worth the effort.

3. Stir in pecans.

4. Set aside 1 1/2 cups of mixture for topping.

5. Grease a 13 x 9 pan and press the remaining mixture into the bottom of the pan. This is the crust.

6. In saucepan - combine shortening, chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk. Cook and stir over LOW heat until melted.

7. Spread over crust in pan.

8. Sprinkle with reserved topping.

9. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes until edges are brown.

Important - cool completely and chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour before eating. Trust me, it is worth the wait. Store them in the fridge. If they are super cold, leave them out for a few minutes before eating. But they must be chilled before first serving. Enjoy!
Old 02-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #11
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayola box View Post
Ask and you shall receive

Chicken Mole ~adapted from Paula Dean

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 chipotle peppers, roughly chopped
1 (10-ounce) can chicken broth
2 tablespoons peanut butter
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I used 1.5 hersheys dark choc. bar)
1 (5-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces **
Toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds), for garnish

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add onion and saute until translucent. Add garlic and spices and
continue to saute to toast and develop flavor. Add diced tomatoes, peppers, chipotles, broth, peanut butter,
and chocolate. Simmer for 10 minutes. Strain and puree until smooth.

Sear the chicken in a heavy bottomed hot saute pan over medium-high heat until browned on both sides.** Add to
casserole dish, cover with sauce and braise the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Garnish with pepitas and serve
with white rice.

**I use chicken breast, poached in broth and shredded, then mixed with the mole sauce. Roll up in tortillas cover with more sauce and bake for mole enchiladas!
THANKS!!! I'm going to make this, I'll let you know how it turns out, I like the enchilada idea too.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:31 AM   #12
BigCutieFiona

BigCutieFiona can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpls_girl26 View Post
I made these for Christmas this year to give out to people and everyone loved them. The only thing I did different was used dark brown sugar and I toasted the almonds. They were SOOOOO easy to make! I don't know how well they taste because I'm not a sweets eater.
I toast the almonds, too, when I use them - pecans go very well, too, and walnuts work in a pinch (and are the least expensive option). I give these out for Christmas, too, and have the same reaction. When I make them at home, I have to make separate bags for everyone and label bags with names or else there's much fighting over who ate too many. ha!

Quote:
Here is one of my all time favorite recipes using chocolate. Even hubby gobbles these up and he does not have the sweet tooth.

FUDGE FILLED BARS

Ingredients:

2 cups quick oats
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup pecans chopped (I usually add in an extra 1/2 cup because I love them)
1 - 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup chocolate chips (I prefer Ghiardelli milk chocolate chips)
2 TBS. shortening (NOT butter or margarine, use shortening)

Directions:

1. Mix oats, flour, brown sugar and salt. Stir well to combine.

2. Add butter and mix until crumbly. I use a steak knife. This is the most intensive labor part of the recipe so sit down and get comfortable. You must incorporate the butter into the dry. It takes a few minutes but it will be worth the effort.

3. Stir in pecans.

4. Set aside 1 1/2 cups of mixture for topping.

5. Grease a 13 x 9 pan and press the remaining mixture into the bottom of the pan. This is the crust.

6. In saucepan - combine shortening, chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk. Cook and stir over LOW heat until melted.

7. Spread over crust in pan.

8. Sprinkle with reserved topping.

9. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes until edges are brown.

Important - cool completely and chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour before eating. Trust me, it is worth the wait. Store them in the fridge. If they are super cold, leave them out for a few minutes before eating. But they must be chilled before first serving. Enjoy!
These sound fantastic! I love oats and chocolate, thank goodness for granola bars, otherwise I'd have to admit to eating candy bars for breakfast most mornings. I think these may just qualify as "granola bars"....
BigCutieFiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #13
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
So ... hypothetically speaking, what would happen if I didn't wait? Because they're sitting on the counter right now, and I really need to know if my variations on the recipe worked out!

Also, I'm not sure of the rules. Can we post one or more than one recipe? I'm having trouble choosing just one.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:12 PM   #14
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2one View Post
So ... hypothetically speaking, what would happen if I didn't wait? Because they're sitting on the counter right now, and I really need to know if my variations on the recipe worked out!
Never mind ... a spoon works just fine!
Old 02-20-2011, 10:25 PM   #15
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure of the rules. Can we post one or more than one recipe? I'm having trouble choosing just one.
Post as many as you'd like, the more the merrier!
Old 02-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #16
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

Quote:

Please share variations if you liked them. I would love to know.

Quote:
Never mind ... a spoon works just fine!
After they are chilled, I usually cut them and eat them in square or rectangle shapes.

Quote:
You can post as many recipes as you like using the "secret" ingredient.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:29 PM   #17
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

Quote:
Please share variations if you liked them. I would love to know.
I didn't have sweetened condensed milk, but I did have cream so I made a dark chocolate ganache (with a bit of vanilla, cinnamon and sea salt) for the filling instead. I used Scharffen Burger chocolate (it's what I had in the cupboard), which has nice, fruity undertones. I also spread the base layer with about 8 oz. of blueberry preserves before I spread on the ganache. I was out of pecans (I use them in everything) so I used walnuts instead, and I figured they'd work well with the blueberries. Then I got to thinking they were nearly an antioxidant in a 9 x 13 pan and added a tablespoon of wheat germ to the oatmeal crumb just to see what would happen. I'd say it was a pretty successful experiment, and a very versatile recipe!

Quote:
After they are chilled, I usually cut them and eat them in square or rectangle shapes.
Yeah, but I just couldn't wait until they were chilled.

Quote:
Quote:
You can post as many recipes as you like using the "secret" ingredient.
Thanks, and btw this was an excellent choice of ingredient!
Old 02-27-2011, 12:00 AM   #18
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

Chocolate Regal

1 lb. high quality semi-sweet chocolate
1 c. milk
a pinch of salt
3/4 lb. unsalted butter, at room temperature
6 or 7 egg yolks, depending on their size

optional:
whipped cream
chocolate shavings

Place chocolate (chopped if using blocks), milk and salt in a double boiler. Heat, stirring frequently, until the chocolate is melted. Transfer to a large bowl and beat with a hand mixer until smooth, then let it stand 4 or 5 minutes to cool. Resume beating on low speed while alternately adding pieces of butter and egg yolks until they are just incorporated, being careful not to beat more than necessary at this point.

Cut a round of waxed paper to fit the bottom of a 9" springform pan. Butter the sides of the pan and one side of the paper, placing it butter side up in the bottom of the pan. Pour chocolate mixture into the pan. You want it low in the oven so place it on a rack that's not more than 1/3 of the way up from the bottom. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. It will be soft and shiny and won't look done. Allow it to cool until room temperature, then refrigerate. When completely set run a small, sharp knife around the edge to loosen, and remove the sides of the springform pan. Invert onto a serving plate, and remove the bottom and wax paper. Cover with lots of whipped cream and chocolate shaving, if desired.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:07 AM   #19
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

Easy Turtle Brownies

1 box of brownie mix, family size for a 9 x 13 pan
caramel topping (in a squeeze bottle works great)
1 cup of chopped, toasted, salted pecans
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)

Make the brownies as directed. When cool, drizzle the top with enough caramel topping to cover it with a thin layer of caramel, some bare spots are fine. Sprinkle with the toasted pecans and chocolate chips, if desired.

Last edited by one2one; 02-27-2011 at 12:20 AM.
one2one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #20
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

The February challenge has ended. Please go and vote for your favorite recipe in the POLL. Thanks to everyone for participating.