Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 12-27-2011, 04:48 PM   #101
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Making chicken curry from scratch. It's a Good Housekeeping recipe.

I don't get why they have you first cut the chicken into 8 pieces, then later shred it into smaller pieces. Why not just save a little time and cut it into smaller pieces first? Or just buy the pre-cut chicken?

I will have to say, I tasted the curry as it's on low ATM while my rice is cooking, and it's really good. I had to omit the apples, but I had everything else for it.

Also, what can you do with a vanilla bean? I had to get 2 for the shrimp recipe because they came in pairs, and I have no idea what to use the spare with. Can you add it to coffee for flavor? How long do they keep?
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:55 PM   #102
fat9276

fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMH1701 View Post
Making chicken curry from scratch. It's a Good Housekeeping recipe.

I don't get why they have you first cut the chicken into 8 pieces, then later shred it into smaller pieces. Why not just save a little time and cut it into smaller pieces first? Or just buy the pre-cut chicken?

I will have to say, I tasted the curry as it's on low ATM while my rice is cooking, and it's really good. I had to omit the apples, but I had everything else for it.

Also, what can you do with a vanilla bean? I had to get 2 for the shrimp recipe because they came in pairs, and I have no idea what to use the spare with. Can you add it to coffee for flavor? How long do they keep?
If you slit it and add it to a small bottle of vodka, you can make your own pure vanilla extract or you can add it to a small container of sugar and make vanilla-sugar
fat9276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #103
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat9276 View Post
If you slit it and add it to a small bottle of vodka, you can make your own pure vanilla extract or you can add it to a small container of sugar and make vanilla-sugar
Thanks. I do have some vodka...hmm
Old 12-29-2011, 01:09 PM   #104
Skye23

Skye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSkye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSkye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

You can also make vanilla extract using bourbon, or boring whiskey. I wouldn't use scotch or anything fancier then Jack Daniels etc...
Old 12-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #105
ScreamingChicken
One of 50,298

ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!

A ham and cheese soup with a southwestern flair. I am going to add in sauteed onion, mushrooms, and poblano pepper. Top it off with some black beans and cornbread on the side.
ScreamingChicken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:38 PM   #106
EMH1701

I made the Vanilla Coconut Shrimp. Here's the blog post, with pics:

http://frugalfoodie.typepad.com/blog...ut-shrimp.html
Old 02-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #107
EMH1701

Today I ordered some sweetbreads online (no, it's probably not what you're thinking, unless you're thinking of meat). The company ships them frozen. It's practically impossible to find them in my area unless I want to go way downtown and pay an arm & a leg for parking, and deal with the traffic hassles. However, I suspect it might have been slightly cheaper to pay for parking.

I want to challenge myself more with gourmet cooking.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:08 AM   #108
Skye23

Skye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSkye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSkye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Ah Sweetbreads, I haven't quite worked myself up to that delight. I did finally get around to beef tongue this past year. Andrew Zimmern was right, if you can get over the idea its just the best beefy roast beef you'll ever have. Or in my case, best beef taco I've ever had. I'll do heart, liver, kidneys, but I just haven't ventured north of the tongue. Hope they turn out good for you!
Old 03-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #109
EMH1701

My sweetbreads came today, delivered frozen. I'm looking forward to making them this weekend.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:05 AM   #110
Deven
Wendigo

Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!

So, today was mine and my husband's anniversary. He took me out for an amazing weekend at a hotel (whirlpool tub in the room,) a dinner at Red Lobster, and a nice, quiet relating evening watching tv/movies (we bought MI: 3 and hooked up his laptop to the room TV.)

So, for my gift for our Anniversary (which is technically today, but he's a truck driver, so I don't get him until Friday) will be the following menu.

Red Lobster's cheddar bay biscuits (he had never had them. he's not a huge biscuit fan, but he adored them and asked if I'd make them this upcoming weekend [I saw it on the copykat recipe site, but smithnwesson posted his link which was from ABC])
Steak (marinated and grilled) topped with either mushrooms, bacon, and cheese or garlic butter sauteed shrimp
Sour cream mashed potatoes
Broccoli Florets

And for desert, I'm stuck between the following deserts.

Salted Caramel 6 Layer Chocolate Cake

OR

Cheesecake Factory Oreo cheesecake (I made it for him sometime last year, and it came out amazing. He ate the whole thing in two days!)
Old 05-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #111
EMH1701

I am making pozole tonight. It smells really good.

Not really making a traditional version. I'm using ground pork and andouille sausage. But it still smells good.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #112
TearInYourHand
Mistress Member

TearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Chocolate chip walnut cookies!
Old 05-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #113
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I stuffed Texas toast with cream cheese/sugar/half a box of pudding. Once I got them in the oven I threw a handful of light brown sugar in a medium pot,added in a heap of real butter and a pinch of salt....once it turned into 'carmel' I dashed it with vanilla extract and poured it over the top of my toast and finished off with whipped cream.

Kinda wonderful really.
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #114
EMH1701

Baking tofu at the moment. Going to put it in a salad for lunch.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #115
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

I made a big pot of soup, that I'd best describe as a vegetable and chicken tortilla soup. The supermarket usually has these packages of fresh assorted vegetables, just labeled "soup mix". You get a half of a small cabbage, a jalapeno, some cilantro, a lime, a red potato, half of a chayote squash, a small zucchini, and a carrot. I added some onion, garlic, chicken stock, leftover smoked chicken meat, some oregano, and a can of diced tomatoes. It's good as-is but I like to crumble up tortilla chips on top when I serve it for the tortilla soup effect.

Tracy
Old 05-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #116
fat9276

fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I mixed up some dough for some sweet rolls tomorrow morning pic is huge... sorry

Last edited by fat9276; 05-30-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #117
fat9276

too late to edit but here they are after baking... I will either eat them as is or glaze them. They are a bit non-traditional looking but they smell like ahhhhhhh

Last edited by fat9276; 05-30-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #118
Micara
Living and Learning

Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I am planning to make Nutella Cheesecake tonight, if all goes as planned. I got the recipe from Pinterest, but I'm putting it in an Oreo pie crust instead of individual containers. Will post pics if it turns out right!
Old 05-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #119
Micara
Living and Learning

Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Micara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Didn't make the Nutella cheesecake yet, but I did make a layered taco dip with raspberry salsa. My co-workers gobbled it up so I guess it didn't suck!
Old 06-06-2012, 06:31 AM   #120
LoveBHMS
default title

LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!

Today I'm making scrambled tofu using a recipe from Post Punk Kitchen, a vegan website run by Isa Moskowitz, a vegan chef and author. I'm using firm tofu and seasoning it with cumin, thyme, tumeric and seasoned salt. I also plan on adding in some chopped Vidalia onion and mushrooms. On the side will be Gimme Lean vegan sausage and red potatoes. I'm making a lazy almost fat free version of home fries----potatoes go in the microwave with Jane's Crazy Mixed Salt and 1/4 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil. Like baked fries but a step lazier.

Paired with Bud Light Platinum. Cause it's my day off.
LoveBHMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #121
Deven
Wendigo

Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!

Tomorrow, I'm making a homemade strawberry shortcake. I have the strawberries in sugar right now, and tomorrow I'll make the whipped cream and the shortcake.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #122
EMH1701

Made soup stock tonight from leftover duck.

I am going to make homemade rhubarb pie tomorrow. The rhubarb thread made me hungry for it.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #123
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMH1701 View Post
Made soup stock tonight from leftover duck.

I am going to make homemade rhubarb pie tomorrow. The rhubarb thread made me hungry for it.
Your duck posts have been making me drool, FYI.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #124
EMH1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
Your duck posts have been making me drool, FYI.
Thanks.

I have a few more leftovers from when I did the stock, but it's basically just chopped veggies and scraps of meat, which can either go into soup or rice/pasta later on. I save as much as I can when I make stock.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #125
EMH1701

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1937...251192,00.html

This is the rhubarb-strawberry pie I am making.