Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 08-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #151
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

I made a batch of toasted chickpea snackies today. You take a can of garbanzo beans/chickpeas, drain and rinse, pat dry, toss lightly with olive oil to coat, bake in a single layer on a pan somewhere between 375-425 depending on your oven, for 30-40 minutes or until crunchy and starting to get nice and toasty. I have a little electric countertop oven with convection setting, it took 45 minutes at 400 to get them just right. Then toss with seasoning of choice. I used a chipotle BBQ seasoning we had leftover from grilling and it came out so well that my husband and I had polished them off by the end of the day.

The taste and texture is a lot like roasted soybeans, which we've had before. I'll be making them often and trying out different flavors.

Tracy
Old 08-31-2012, 04:18 AM   #152
Orchid

Orchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this board

small size plum pie
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #153
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft View Post
Wow, you're ambitious! I've never made borscht, but I love the stuff. You eat it cold with sour cream?
I usually have it warm, with sour cream and a garnish of extra dill. Unless I'm pressed for time and eat it straight from the fridge with a spoon. I had a request, so I'll post the recipe soon. I've sampled someone else's cold borscht once, and it was also good.

I'm just having dinner now. I made a salad with baby kale, a homemade vinaigrette and a sliced plum. Some fresh (par baked) bread, just out of the oven, with a mild, triple cream Brie and shallots and mushrooms sautéed in butter and sherry.

OMG this is good!
Old 09-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #154
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I got my grandmother's lefse griddle. The only problem with making lefse is that you have to apparently mash the potatoes a day before, so it takes a bit of planning.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #155
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Here's the borscht recipe. It's an adaptation of my mom's recipe, which involves a chuck roast, marrow bones, homemake stock and takes three days. I don't do that. Although, someday I might. I admit, hers is better but this comes close. Feel free to PM me if you want the long version.

olive oil
2 large cloves of garlic, pressed or minced
4 c. of beef stock (I use Back to Basics or Better than Bouillon)
1/2 a head of cabbage, cored and chopped into thin shreds
14 oz can of tomatoes
3 medium size beets (2 if they're huge or 2 jars of Harvard Beets), peeled and diced
1 Tbsp. dill
1 Tbsp. or more fresh chopped parsley
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 a fresh lemon, juiced (use the whole lemon if it doesn't release much juice)
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 lb. of pot roast (Trader Joe's sells it precooked, trim off fat and gristle and dice it)
sour cream

In a large pot over low heat, sauté the garlic in a little olive oil until it sizzles and releases it's aroma. It will take about 30 seconds. Add the beef stock, cabbage, tomatoes and beets. Bring it to a boil and adjust the heat back down so it maintains a low simmer. Add dill, pepper, sugar and lemon juice. Then toss the 1/2 of the lemon you juiced in the pot, too. Simmer until the beets are very tender. Remove the lemon and discard. Add the parsley and adjust the seasoning, if needed, so that the lemon, sugar and dill are bright and balanced, without the acidic edge of the tomato coming through. Unless you're using homemade stock, it probably doesn't need salt but let your taste buds be your guide. Add the pot roast, remove from the heat and allow it to cool completely. Refrigerate, covered, until the following day which is when any good pot of soup should actually be eaten. Serve it hot with a dollop of sour cream and a garnish of dill.

Last edited by one2one; 09-09-2012 at 10:53 PM.
one2one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #156
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

I just made some baba ghanouj. It's also what I'm eating. yum.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #157
LifeTraveller
Sporadic Poster

LifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this board

This weekend, I'm going to make baked manicotti, for some friends. It's a lot of fuss, but well worth it, there's never any left, and I do make plenty..

Also with the past few mornings having been cooler, I feel the urge to start baking again. . The summer was a bit warm for any excessive baking, so I'll be off to the "bulk food" store to stock up on all the things necessary for baking cookies, a couple of cakes, and of course cheesecakes. .
Old 09-15-2012, 12:47 AM   #158
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

It's time for my spring/summer basil plants to come up, so I can use the pots for cooler weather things. That means that I'll be making a batch of pesto at some point this weekend to freeze in small portions so we have it on hand. I'm going to use a very simple recipe; just basil leaves, extra virgin olive oil, lightly toasted pine nuts, garlic, and salt. No cheese, I can add that when I use the pesto, and I think it will freeze better without it anyway.

Tracy
Old 09-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #159
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I am attempting to make lefse. I got my grandmother's lefse griddle (she is in a nursing home now). It should be interesting. My goal is to practice a couple of times and then be able to bring some for Thanksgiving.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #160
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

AFter i finish my kitty cuddles i'm going to start making some tamales. I have wanted to make some again since i made a whole bunch in May. Max loves them and they're fun to make. I'm also goign to make some cupcakes since the boys have been begging for some. We watched that DC cupcakes show on Netflix and they've been bugging me for cupcakes ever since
Old 10-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #161
Deven
Wendigo

Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!

I think I'm going to make this:

Crock Pot Beer Chicken
Old 10-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #162
EMH1701

I'm attempting to make buttermilk biscuits from scratch via the Joy of Cooking recipe. I halved it since it's only for me. We shall see how it goes. I really want biscuits and gravy for breakfast tomorrow.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #163
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

I just made a chocolate gingerbread cake with mascarpone cream.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #164
EMH1701

I made turkey tetrazinni with my leftovers. Egg noodles, turkey, cream of mushroom soup, fresh mushrooms, sour cream, and grated mozzarella cheese. Good stuff!
Old 04-20-2013, 06:05 AM   #165
EMH1701

Going to try Julia's eggs in aspic recipe for lunch today. I have no desire to make the chicken liver one, but I figure that I should at least try the eggs.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:22 PM   #166
Tracyarts

I just started my first ever batch of home brewed/fermented kombucha, because buying it from the farmer's market or health food store was getting way too expensive. Wish me luck! In about a week I'll know for sure if I followed the instructions correctly.

Tracy
Old 05-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #167
EMH1701

Going to make some fresh salsa for Cinco de Mayo tomorrow. My gaming group is having Mexican food. I'm still debating among the recipes in my Mexican cookbook.

There is one with tomatoes, onion, serrano peppers, cilantor, and lime juice that sounds good.

Also there is a mango salsa recipe that sounds really good. It has mango, onion, red bell peppers, chili, lime juice, cilantro, and a little bit of mint.

Maybe I will make both.

The cookbook I have is 1000 Mexican Recipes by Marge Poore.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #168
Iannathedriveress
Random Heroine

Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Oreo ice cream
Take one gallon of vanilla ice gallon
Get a regular pack of oreos
Mix together and you have plenty of oreo ice cream
Iannathedriveress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #169
Tracyarts

Well, it seems like beginner's luck was on my side with the kombucha tea experiment. I gave it a taste tonight, and it is delicious! I could let it ferment longer, but it would start to develop a vinegary flavor (which is the one thing I don't like about most store-bought kombuchas). As it is now, the flavor is very mild and somewhat sweet. Imagine a nice smooth black tea mixed with the tang of apple cider and a touch of apricot nectar.

Tomorrow, I'll bottle it and start my next batch. We'll see if my luck holds!

Tracy
Old 05-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #170
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm attending a BBQ potluck. So I elected to make a double batch of Texas-style green bell pepper slaw, and Texas Caviar (a pico de gallo recipe that adds white corn and black eye peas with a red wine vinagrette )
Old 05-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #171
Iannathedriveress
Random Heroine

Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'm mixing a gallon of vanilla ice cream and fresh strawberries and combing the two together.
Iannathedriveress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #172
EMH1701

I'm going to try making a blueberry pie tomorrow. Found this really great article on how to pre-bake your homemade pie crust: http://allrecipes.com/howto/how-to-bake-a-pie-crust/

There are countless recipes on the internet for pie crust. I chose one with relatively simple ingredients.

http://www.food.com/recipe/all-purpo...ie-dough-22023

We will see how it turns out.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:07 AM   #173
Hozay J Garseeya
Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.

Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Ceviche...I'm totally stoked to have a big of home, but I've never made it myself. We'll see how it goes.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #174
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm going to try my hand at low fat tamales tonight. I didn't like just HOW Much fat goes into them. I found a recipe i'm going to give a shot
Old 09-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #175
Ms Charlotte BBW
Fantasy Land

Ms Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I have chicken and dumplings in the crock pot! Yummy!
Ms Charlotte BBW is offline   Reply With Quote