Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Library > Recent Additions

Old 04-06-2011, 02:39 AM   #26
morepushing13

morepushing13 can now change their title

every twist and turn seems to feed the story well...can't wait for more!

I do what I do...
morepushing13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:13 AM   #27
StrugglingWriter

StrugglingWriter is a member of the 500 clubStrugglingWriter is a member of the 500 clubStrugglingWriter is a member of the 500 clubStrugglingWriter is a member of the 500 clubStrugglingWriter is a member of the 500 clubStrugglingWriter is a member of the 500 club

An early dinner was just about ready for them, and Kelly, who had been so nervous her stomach had been turning all day, realized she was starved. So over a hearty meal of baked ziti, arugula salad with pear and vinegar, green beans with candied pecans, Italian bread with herbs and oil, red wine and homemade profiteroles, Kelly told her mother everything about her summer.

Except about Dr. Lierman. That felt too weird to talk about it with her mother.

Through it all, as they gorged on their amazing meal, Kelly’s mom was empathetic and supportive, exactly the way in her heart that she always knew her mom would be, if only her shame at being kicked out of the house would have ever allowed her to admit it to herself. Kelly couldn’t help but look again and again at her mother leaning back into her chair and at the belly spilling out almost to her knees. Two bottom buttons to her blouse were undone to free up her shirt, allowing a creamy white patch of skin to poke through the triangle. Her mother’s jeans—for years expensively tailored to fit her expansive forms—stretched across her thighs, and the T- underneath her blouse cut into her large puffy arms. It had been a long time since she’d seen her mother thin, but she’d never really seen her as a fat woman before.

Kelly hadn’t known that academic reports went to the parents of all freshmen at the university. Why hadn’t her mother said anything about it? “I didn’t want to alarm your father,” she replied. “And, I just knew you’d work everything out.” In a nutshell, that was Kelly’s mother.

The subject of Kelly’s weight barely came up at all, and that only because Kelly herself felt the need to talk about it. A stuffed Kelly was finishing off a third profiterole when she eased back in her chair and brought up what was on her mind.

“Mommy, I’m sorry I put on so much weight. I didn’t mean to let you down.”

“Sorry?” Mrs. Kingsley replied, polishing off her third glass of wine. “Kelly, do you realize who you’re talking to?”

For a moment Kelly was shocked. This was the first time she could ever remember her mother referring, even indirectly, to her weight. And this was certainly a disconnect from any kind of message she’d heard from her before. She pressed ahead while her mother poured the last half-glass of wine into her goblet.

“Well, sorry because, because of all the money for the personal trainer, and for all the trouble it’s gonna be in Phi Gamma—“

“Baby,” she leaned forward awkwardly, a little drunk, her enormous breasts pushing her plate into the serving bowls with a loud clink, “the money isn’t an object. And besides, I remember a lot of girls putting on weight in Phi Gamma. I don’t ever remember anybody caring two licks about it.”

This was a lot for Kelly to process. She couldn’t ever remember a time when money wasn’t an object in their household, despite how much they had. And the Phi Gamma she knew was the Phi Gamma of eating disorders, the House Mother, and the one girl everyone knew was the token outgoing fat girl. Which, Kelly suddenly realized, she was seriously in danger of becoming. There’s a “little weight,” and then there’s thirty pounds in a month.

“You did what you had to to get in,” her mom was saying, now swirling her wine slowly in its glass. “And now they know what a wonderful, beautiful sweet person you are that a little weight fluctuation“—she had trouble articulating the word—“is going to affect that. You just take care of what you need to now and worry about your weight later.” And down went the wine.

Shades of Caleb! Minus the negativity and cynicism, of course. She found herself beginning to question whether some an over-indulgent impostor had secretly replaced the pageant-queen mother who had obsessively managed her daughter’s weight the last six years. Or perhaps she’d been confused about who exactly had been putting so much stock in the sorority scene.

No matter. For now, Kelly realized, she was stuffed, and her jeans cut tightly and uncomfortably into her bloated seated belly. Which reminded her.

“Yes, Mother,” she replied dutifully as her mother pushed herself up and out of her chair and over to the wine cabinet for another bottle. “One thing, though: what did you do with all my old clothes? Looks like I’m gonna need those for a while.”

“I threw them out,” she said with her head in the cabinet. She poked her head out and back toward the kitchen table. “Just go into town tomorrow and get a new wardrobe. I told you,” her voice straining a little as she worked the corkscrew, “money isn’t an object.”

That Sunday night, Kelly Kegs went to college.

She’d had a fantastic weekend. After an amazing breakfast of blintzes, quiche, fresh fruit and waffles (a la mode!), Kelly and her mother drove into town, where they spent the early afternoon trolling the department stores of the major fashion center mall. It took Kelly a little while to let go her customary apprehension about spending, but with a “You’re-all-grown-up-now-and-I-don’t-have-to-worry-about-training-you-to-be-frugal-anymore,” Kelly’s mother led the way selecting items from places other than the discount racks. Soon, Kelly was zipping from section to section, bringing back stacks of items to try on while her mother sat and waited by the mirrors near the dressing rooms.

For once, this trip into town was all about Kelly. Mrs. Kingsley clearly was enjoying the chance to be Kelly’s mother once again, although from time-to-time she cast an eye at some of the fashions as she passed them. Somewhere along the way Kelly realized that nothing in the store could fit her mother anyway. Just a year ago, she noted to herself, they’d spent an afternoon hunting for department store bargains for each other in this very mall.

Another change was that there were plenty of opportunities for eating as well. They made frequent stops in the coffee shops and snackeries as they crossed the mall from department store to department store. Whenever one woman found something she’d like to indulge in, the other one joined right in: lattes, gelatos, pretzels, cookies. As the afternoon went on, Mrs. Kingsley led the indulgence more and more, not just out of hunger but because clearly she seemed to need a moment every now and then to sit and rest. Mrs. Kingsley had always had grace—it was one of the things that told the lie to how big she always was—and she still had it now, but for the first time it was clear that that bulk was becoming a problem for her. Kelly noticed her choosing place she could get in and out of easily, and getting up out of her chair took an unaccustomed effort.

Kelly had always known that her mother snuck food on the side: in the morning while cooking breakfast, at home while she was alone during the day, or in the car on the way to and from school—even waking up to eat in the middle of the night. It was something Kelly had always resented during those myriads of diets the woman had held her to—and had participated in, at least in front of her daughter. She was floored, though, to see her mom eating so much, so openly, in front of her. For the first time since she was a kid, she felt free to do so, too. It felt like for maybe the first time two inner fat girls were finally sneaking out to meet each other in the open and celebrate.

Yet after all that there was still a meal out, and then an evening together at Frederick’s—just about the only store that reliably carried her cup size. It was the first time they’d shopped in a store like that together, too.

162 pounds of Kelly—all the weight she had lost the summer before—stepped out of the car that Sunday night. Her car, a classic old Beemer, stylish but not too opulent, was filled with suitcases and bags from her marathon shopping session, each bag filled with size 10s (and, for up top, the occasional 12 or even 14). Comfortable for the first time in weeks, Kelly grabbed a couple of shopping bags and strode up to the door, then stopped.

It was cracked open, and the enticing smell of chocolate chip cookies baking wafted outside.

Last edited by Lou Grant; 04-07-2011 at 03:30 AM.
StrugglingWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:21 AM   #28
morepushing13

I love this story...very very good!

I do what I do...
Old 04-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #29
StrugglingWriter

StrugglingWriter is a member of the 500 clubStrugglingWriter is a member of the 500 clubStrugglingWriter is a member of the 500 clubStrugglingWriter is a member of the 500 clubStrugglingWriter is a member of the 500 clubStrugglingWriter is a member of the 500 club

This girl was Phi Gamma president?

Gail Hedges was a fat girl, but a beautiful one. Her big raven hair, flawless skin, dimples and Irish green eyes told Kelly that she was definitely the girl from the pictures, but pretty much nothing else did. Maybe it was the difference between those Phi Gamma pictures and the girl in front of her, or maybe it was just the idea that Sherry’s big sis was, actually a BIG sis, or maybe it was just the love she had for her mom, but Gail was nowhere as big as Kelly’s mother.

Yet, Kelly couldn’t help but think how fat Gail was. She had chubby cheeks and a wide nose, great wide hips and thighs and round, firm tummy holding up smaller-than-average breasts. It didn’t help that her jeans made creases into her thighs and cut into what was left of her waistline, and that the tank under her unbuttoned blouse looked like it was a size too small.

Unlike Kelly’s weekend with her mother, from the moment they sat down around the kitchen table, weight was practically all she could talk about.

“Well,” she said when Kelly walked into the kitchen, “if Sherry sent you to me for fitness boot camp, she sent you to the wrong place! Hi, I’m Gail. Want a cookie?”

Kelly liked her on the spot.

Kelly found out quite quickly Gail’s whereabouts the last couple of months: California, and Vegas, and all up the West Coast as a pharmaceutical sales rep. In between sales trips, she’d stayed with her long-distance boyfriend, and apparently they’d left no party and no restaurant unturned: “I’ll bet I gained twenty-five pounds, not that anyone’d notice anymore.”

Kelly just nodded and smiled. She was lost in what was her fifth very delectable chocolate chip cookie. Gail had already eaten her half-dozen. Good thing another dozen was baking in the oven.

As they stood around the island counter, Gail kept going about her marvelous summer and especially her marvelous boyfriend. Kelly listened in polite deference, in her mind wondering just how marvelous he could be. Kelly had listened to a lot of girls talk excitedly about their boyfriends in her day, and in her experience, the fattest ones always seemed to be excited mainly because, simply, they had one.

“Here, let me show you a picture.” The cell phone whipped out, and there was a thinner, though quite chubby, Gail standing next to a tall, well-built, well-tanned--well, “Adonis,” was the word that came to mind.

An overweight sorority-president-now-pharmaceutical rep with an absolutely gorgeous turns-out-to-be-young-doctor-she-met-on-a-sales-call boyfriend? Kelly felt bewildered. Gail didn’t even have a big rack! This girl blew everything Kelly thought she knew about people out of the water.

Her cooking blew her out of the water, too. These were the best chocolate chip cookies she’d ever had! Why was it suddenly everyone around her could cook?

“Professor Lennox’s homemaking class, freshman year,” Gail told her.

The same class Kelly was starting tomorrow, she noted.

“Oh? Well take care of yourself. That class was the start of my downfall!” With one hand she was munching on another cookie. With the other she patted her bulging tummy. “I was pretty much the reason Phi Gamma put that class on the banned list.”

“Banned list?” Never heard of that! Kelly thought. Why does everyone else seem to know about these things and I don’t!? “I don’t think Phi Gamma has anything like that,” she offered.

Gail laughed, a loud, endearing and musical sound. “No, of course they don’t! Next you’ll try to tell me they also don’t forbid hoop earrings, ban flip flops outside of the house, provide guidelines for dating “the Phi Gamma way”, push wearing button-up blouses, grade girls on appearance for the plum room assignments or blacklist girls who live on campus for too long!”

Kelly had known about the earrings and the flip flops. She’d had no clue about the last two.

“Trust me, I would know,” Gail added with a glint in her eye. “I’m the one who made the list.”

Phi Gamma Psi. It made sense. At least it did once Gail explained what the Greek letters were in English: P-G-S. “Pigs.”

“Whoever thought that one up was either really daft, or really naïve,” Gail said, sipping on the mug of beer she’d just poured for herself. Kelly just assumed that “daft” meant some version of stupid. “It doesn’t take many chubby girls before a label like that sticks, and by the time I came around, Phi Gamma had more than its share.”

All sororities have unofficial rules. Rules that came to define its reputation. For Phi Gamma, those rules had created sweet, genuine, professional young women, a reputation that had stuck to this day.

“Beautiful personalities, not so beautiful bodies. By the time I showed up, that reputation was sending Phi Gamma to the bottom of the social list. Phi Gamma on this campus had to change.”

And change it did. A few natural leaders gained influence in Phi Gamma—Gail didn’t say it, but clearly she and her charisma led the show—and, quietly, began whispering unwritten rules in the ears of new pledges. All of them were designed to undermine the overweight. No comfortable shoes. No baggy shirts. No campus dining. Salads at restaurants. Not that any of this image-building was that overt. The image was “put together,” “professional,” “poised,” and the motto was “preparation for the real world.” By the time Gail was president, Phi Gamma was back on the map.

“But you said—I mean—“

“How did a chubby girl become sorority president pushing an agenda of thin?” Gail interrupted, a bit of edge to her voice. “I could ask you the same thing. I mean, you don’t look like the kind of girl Sherry would make her Little Sis.”

“Wha--?” Unbelievable! Kelly was so taken aback by this sudden assault she didn’t know what to say.

“Aw, Kelly, I’m sorry.” And she looked it. “I still get a little sensitive about it. All this stupid sorority drama! Five years later, and it still jumps up to grab a hold of me. Forgive me?” Gail leaned forward and held out the last cookie.

Both girls burst out laughing, but not before Kelly took the cookie.

“That’s how I did it,” Gail said.

“Did what?” Kelly replied, munching on her cookie.

“I took care of everyone. You know what they called me? The House Mother.”

Last edited by Tad; 05-04-2016 at 02:46 PM. Reason: added in picture link
Old 04-09-2011, 08:17 PM   #30
Mac5689

Mac5689 can now change their title

I have to admit that the latest installment has left me a bit confused. I can't explain why however.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #31
Leonard
Large Marge sent me.

Leonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeonard is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac5689 View Post
I have to admit that the latest installment has left me a bit confused. I can't explain why however.
It may be because, before this installment, Gail had only been mentioned briefly in passing. I had to go back and search for her name because I'd forgotten about her. I was also expecting more between Kelly and her mother, so I was a little surprised/confused when suddenly she was meeting Gail.
We offer you ESCAPE!
Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #32
StrugglingWriter

Hazards of writing and posting what essentially is a rough draft, I suppose. Gail is the owner of the house Kelly is staying in and has been absent all summer. She is also the former Phi Gamma president and former Big Sis to Sherry, who is Kelly's Big Sis and the current Phi Gamma president. I tried to throw in a little stuff about her (Sherry, too) earlier on to set this up, but I actually had to go look up her name myself in writing this bit.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #33
Mac5689

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
It may be because, before this installment, Gail had only been mentioned briefly in passing. I had to go back and search for her name because I'd forgotten about her. I was also expecting more between Kelly and her mother, so I was a little surprised/confused when suddenly she was meeting Gail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrugglingWriter View Post
Hazards of writing and posting what essentially is a rough draft, I suppose. Gail is the owner of the house Kelly is staying in and has been absent all summer. She is also the former Phi Gamma president and former Big Sis to Sherry, who is Kelly's Big Sis and the current Phi Gamma president. I tried to throw in a little stuff about her (Sherry, too) earlier on to set this up, but I actually had to go look up her name myself in writing this bit.

No I remembered Gail, and i remember how she was a former president of Phi Gamma and she was Sherry's Big Sis.

It was after she was talking about how she had taken Professor Lennox’s homemaking class where i got derailed into confusion.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:42 AM   #34
StrugglingWriter

After her blowout weekend, Monday was a harsh reality check for Kelly.

Psychology (a course she had failed last semester) at ten. Three hours of FCS—i.e., “Family and Consumer Sciences” or Home Ec 101—at noon. Math at five, and with the all-important third test on Thursday. It didn’t hit her until she got up that morning that chemistry lab and study time with Chip had abruptly ended—and with no chance of even saying a thank you! Grades had posted Sunday night, and Kelly had gotten the A’s she desperately needed. She called Chip between classes, and it went straight to voice mail. A little bit sad, she left him a thank you and invited him to a celebration dinner at Hungry Jake’s.

More disconcerting, though, was the realization that her new Home Ec class conflicted with her daily study time with Lierman. That was an hour of study time—and of influence—she knew she was likely to need. She put in a call to Caleb, too, and got his voice mail.

Whatever she was missing out of her Lierman meeting, it certainly didn’t include lunch. FCS was billed on the syllabus as two hours of lecture and one of lab, but it was the other way around. “Lab time’s at a premium in the summer, ladies,” announced the plainly plump “Mrs.” Lennox, throwing in a wink at the two football players who were the only male contingent in the class. “Come ready to put what we learn to the test.” And they did they did that very first day, although most of it involved hands-on lessons about food storage and cleanliness while preparing a basic salad. She did, however, learn that salad dressing is something you can prepare—and eat—yourself.

Kelly wasn’t surprised to get a little attention from one of the football players on the way out the door, either. Both of these guys were Black, and she’d always found the stereotype that Black men prefer the fuller form to be true. And was her form full! Kelly’s new clothes hugged every resurgent inch of her body. He gave her one of those head bobs like she was one of his locker room buddies or something, but she knew it was insider language for, “I see that form, and we both know it’s better your way.”

But he seemed nice enough, and it made her feel good to command the attention of someone with such pull on campus. She rode that high all the way through her late lunch and into the second row of her math class, right where she knew Lierman would see her.

And, as it turned out, where Phi Gamma junior officer Lindsey Huntington saw her, too.

One week ago, Kelly would have been out of her seat and across the room, atwitter with chatter with a fellow Phi Gamma: “Hey, I can’t believe I didn’t see you here before?” “A junior, and you’re taking this class, too? Maybe I should have put it off like you did!” “Isn’t it great we’re sharing a class?” But after last night’s conversation with Gail, she couldn’t help think of Lindsey as anything but an enforcer of the Phi Gamma code. That, and how much she’d see Kelly as having, er, colored outside of the lines, so to speak, the last month or so. As curvaceous and attractive as she’d felt just a couple of hours ago was as frumpy and conspicuous she felt now.

Lierman walking up to the lectern saved her from having to make a plan of action, but his friendly smile her direction wasn’t a comfort under what she knew would be Lindsey’s watchful eye. Kelly left her package of Donettes and her bag of chips in her bag and slumped down in her chair, hoping for the first time in her memory that she were invisible and knowing for the first time in some time how unlikely that really was.

When Kelly got home after math, she was still hounded by the thought of Lindsey looking over her shoulder in math class, but her angst quickly disappeared as she detected the unmistakable smells of Italian food emanating from the kitchen. Sure enough she walked into the kitchen to see Gail busily engaged in lining a pan with noodles for lasagna, another one apparently baking in the oven. She was surrounded by half-unpacked groceries, floured cutting boards, bowls of lettuce and vegetables, and—what she was working on the moment Kelly walked in—some very familiar dressing!

Gail looked up from the kitchen island and brushed away a lock of hair, adding a dab of dressing to the dusting of flour already, and temporarily, painting her with premature grey. “The pantry was absolutely bare, and I got ambitious. I made some antipasti…grab a bite or two and help me put things away, will ya?”

Two bites became more like several, and before too many groceries were put away they were feasting at the island on lasagna and salad and the most buttery, savory garlic bread Kelly could ever remember sampling. They chatted away, steering away from sorority talk, Kelly trying to talk about her high school experiences without seeming too provincial, and Gail trying to not talk too much inside baseball about the corporate world. Before long, that meant Gail talking about her boyfriend and her amazing vacation on the West Coast, particularly the incredible culinary experiences in Vegas and Los Angeles, San Francisco and Napa.

“And your boyfriend was on board for all that?”

“You mean,” said Gail, scooping a bite of lasagna onto a piece of garlic bread, “he was OK with his girl stuffing her face for a month?”

She always seems to know exactly what's going on! “Well, yeah. I mean I—“

“Hey,” Gail shrugged, “he got him a foodie.” She stopped a moment to bite into her bread. “It’s not like he didn’t know that up front. And I have to tell you, I think it kind of turned him on.”

Kelly, also chewing, stopped and just looked at her.

“What,” Gail continued, “you can’t tell me that, looking like you do, you’ve never run into that?”

Looking like I do, Kelly thought, isn’t looking like you do, thinking about Gail’s little boobs, though Kelly at least had the presence of mind to hold that thought back.

“I, uh—well, maybe. Today in FCS I—“

The doorbell rang. Oh! Caleb! Where had the time gone? Gail was wiping her mouth, getting ready to go to the door.

“No, it’s for me,” Kelly explained, heading to the door herself. “I was going to tell you until I got distracted by lasagna!” she called back over her shoulder.
Kelly let Caleb in, led him back to the kitchen. “Gail, this is my tutor—“

“Hey, Gail,” Caleb interrupted.

“Hey, Caleb.”

Last edited by Lou Grant; 04-15-2011 at 03:19 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:20 AM   #35
morepushing13

interesting, it seems some acquaintances were not known before!

I do what I do...
Old 04-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #36
runningman

runningman is a member of the 500 clubrunningman is a member of the 500 clubrunningman is a member of the 500 clubrunningman is a member of the 500 clubrunningman is a member of the 500 clubrunningman is a member of the 500 club

Best read I've had in a while.

"I'm a fatty so i love food" Fat and Proud

"Papa Johns should deliver ice cream as well as pizza. I would order pizza just for some Ben & Jerry's" Ashley
runningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #37
StrugglingWriter

Default Girl code

“It really wasn’t that much of a thing,” Caleb was saying over his plate of lasagna. They were all sitting around the kitchen table, books on the table, none of them opened.

Caleb and Gail apparently had a math class together as undergraduates and wound up going on a lot of dates. The story they told wasn’t that interesting, but Kelly had been on the up side of many doomed-from-the-start relationships, and the stony look on Caleb’s face told her all she needed to know: this “not-much-of-a-thing” had a lot more meaning for Caleb than it did Gail.

As it was, the two discussed Gail’s size quite openly. For Gail, this seemed to be shaping up as a strategy for both diffusing the issue and heading off social disapproval. “There was a lot less of me then,” was, after briefly explaining their association, about the only detail she added about the whole affair.

“True enough,” Caleb commented in his typical less-than-sensitive way, but then, Gail didn’t seem to have let that bother her. “You can take the girl out of Phi Gamma, but you can’t take the Phi Gamma out of the girl. Or, more to the point, off the girl.”

“Shut up, Caleb,” Gail retorted. “Phi Gamma’s a different world now.”

“Not from what I’ve seen,” Caleb answered back, a cock of the head in Kelly’s direction.

“Cute, Caleb,” Gail retorted. “Really nice of you. Tell me again why you’re still single?”

“Simple math, Beautiful. So many women, so little time. Why settle when—“

I’m. Too sexy for my shirt. Too sexy—

“Sherry!” Kelly answered, and that was enough to stop all conversation around the table. Kelly’s phone wasn’t on speaker, but as usual it came through loud and clear to all anyway.

“Hey, girl! Just checking in with you. It’s been so long! So how were the grades? Everything turn out well?” Absolutely great! All A’s, Kelly explained in roundabout sorority-girl banter, although still staying mum about having dropped her math class.

“That is great! Great to hear!” chirped Sherry’s voice. “But,” she added, “I guess you wound up taking a different math class?”

Uh-oh. How did she find that out? Yes, Kelly explained with a little less cheerful chatter. Needed a little more time to study for those tests, had a tough load together with chemistry, was adjusting to the rigors of summer school…

“Oh, yes, that does sound pretty hard,” Sherry opined half-heartedly. “I guess you didn’t stay on with Caleb. You should have told me that earlier—“

“Nono,” Kelly interrupted, as friendly as she could. “Caleb’s been great, he’s sitting right here, want to talk to him?”

“Oh.” Pause. “No, no need for that. He’s a miracle worker, so keep plugging away with him make sure you do everything he tells you.”

Caleb pointed to himself with a smug look on his face and nodded while mouthing the words “miracle worker” to the ladies at the table. Gail and Kelly both gave him hard but playful slaps.

“Hey,” Sherry continued, “are you still seeing that guy Chip?” Oh no, Kelly replied, now more directly to the point, we were never dating, just friends, lab partner for chemistry…

Chip?” Gail mouthed while Kelly explained.

“Just a guy Kelly used,” Caleb said. “For grades. I think you know the drill.” Gail shot Caleb an evil look, enough to distract Kelly for a moment from her conversation with Sherry.

“I see, I see,” Sherry was saying. “Well, we’ve all been wondering. I mean, it seems like you’ve been avoiding us all summer. When we do see you, you’re with this guy. I just thought maybe that—well, anyway. I guess you’ve been wrapped up in your one class all semester.”

It wasn’t until Sherry’s emphasis on the word “guy,” as if Chip were some foreign entity or well-known social reject, that first clued Kelly in there might be something else going on in this conversation. Kelly’s brow furrowed defensively, and she was about to retort in anger, when, before she knew it, Gail pulled Kelly’s phone away from her face and put her fingers over Kelly’s lips.

“Don’t,” she said, her head shaking back and forth and her eyes clearly communicating that to keep her composure would be in her own best interest. “Poise,” she whispered.

“Kelly? Kelly? Are you there?”

Gail released Kelly’s hand and pulled her other hand away from Kelly’s lips, her eyes still giving a stern warning.

“I’m here,” Kelly replied. “Caleb distracted me for a second. I’ve been working hard on both my classes,” Kelly continued, as Gail started nodding her head, “so that come the fall I’ll be able to do you proud and move back into my old room.”

“That’s very good to hear,” Sherry said, more diplomatically, the chirp gone from her voice. “Just remember you’re Phi Gamma right now, too. Just because you’re my Little Sis doesn’t mean you can sit back and relax.”

Relax? What could she possibly mean? She was busting her ass! “No, of course not,” Kelly said cautiously, closely watching Gail for guidance and careful to match Sherry’s diplomatic tone. “Well, speaking of not relaxing, Caleb’s pointing to our books, and I’ve got a big test this Thursday. I’ll be there this weekend for the party, though. You can count on me!”

“I know I can,” Sherry said, the energy back in her voice. “I miss having you around here so much! Bye, girl.” Just that quickly, Sherry was gone. Kelly put down the phone, and for a moment, no one said much of anything.

“I can’t believe she talked that way about Chip,” Kelly finally offered. “That just wasn’t like Sherry at all.”

“Oh, I thought it was just like Sherry,” Gail offered sourly. “Don’t you get it?”

Kelly just looked at Gail blankly.

“It’s the Phi Gamma code. I take it Chip isn’t Greek?” Kelly and Caleb nodded and shrugged, respectively. “She was checking up on you. Something got back to her about her Little Sis she’s not happy about, and I’ll bet a Boston Crème Pie it isn’t about dropping math class and studying with your lab partner. Something happened.”

“I know what it is,” Kelly said, the disappointment palpable in her voice.

Lindsey.

So, with more emotion than she realized she had, Kelly explained it all to Gail. Her up-and-down weight history, her relationship with her mother and with food, her lack of motivation for school, and her summer with a personal trainer to prepare for Rush week and her desired berth into Phi Gamma. Her stratospheric rise through the Phi Gamma ranks and a privileged place in the house and on the leadership counsel. Her daily commitment to exercising on the House Mother and to Phi Gamma life at the expense of her grades. Her difficulty adjusting to the academic life this summer, her pig out sessions with Caleb, and with Chip, and in class, and now even with her mom, who, it turns out, was never really the source of the pressure Kelly felt to succeed in Phi Gamma. The forty pounds she'd put back on the last five weeks. Her plan to do whatever it takes to work her way off probation and back into the house, back onto the House Mother, back onto the counsel, and now back into Sherry’s good graces. Her trouble with Pre-Algebra, moving to the long-term summer class, and her discovery tonight that the distasteful Lindsey Huntington was part of the class. The only thing she left out was her lunches with Lierman, and Caleb, quiet and clearly feeling awkward through the whole story, didn’t say anything about it either.

Through it all, Gail listened with support and compassion, at one point reaching out to hold Kelly’s hand. But she shook her head when she heard Kelly talk about her plan for Phi Gamma redemption.

“Kelly,” she said, “I love Sherry, and she’s a great girl in a lot of ways, but I know her. If you wait until fall, at the rate you're gaining, there’s no way she’ll ever let you back in that house. And the only House Mother you’re likely to have much access to is me.”

Kelly started to cry even harder as she understood Gail's offer. The two women leaned over and gave each other a squishy embrace, quietly laughing and crying together in that singular way that only two women can. Kelly felt good knowing that Gail would be here for her, and as she thought about the Fall she suddenly felt a desire to stay right here in Gail’s house.

“You have a great heart, Kelly,” said Gail as they both leaned back in their chairs, carefully wiping their eyes with the backs of their hands and the tips of their fingers, the better to preserve the mascara. “You have a place here as long as you want it.”

“Oh, thank you!” Kelly exclaimed. “You’re the greatest.”

“But don’t give up hope yet,” said Gail. “I have a plan.”

Everyone always did.

Last edited by Lou Grant; 04-19-2011 at 03:18 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:45 PM   #38
Mac5689

Ok, I just have to ask (since it was one of the reasons i got confused) Why is that one exercise equipment at Phi Gamma and Gail both called "House Mother"?
Old 04-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #39
StrugglingWriter

Ah, yes. The confusion makes sense.

Women's dorms in the past, and also sororities, used to have chaperones. These chaperones were older women who enforced curfews, visitation rules, etc., etc. In my story, sororities have gotten rid of these people and the girls in sororites just all live on their own. For all I know, sororities still have chaperones that live on site, but in this fictional world they're a fixture of the past. If anyone reading wants to give me good info on this, I'd love to have him or her PM me.

When Phi Gamma got rid of the room for the chaperone, they converted that room into a fitness room. In my story, they used to call the chaperone the "House Mother." Now they call the elliptical machine the House Mother because it's housed in the same room.

The connection to Gail is tangential. Gail helped bring a fitness mentality to Phi Gamma, even though she herself got heavier as she was part of Phi Gamma. She is a maternal type, and she gained social cache in Phi Gamma by looking after the girls in the fraternity the way she is starting to look after Kelly. (I tried to communicate this by Gail soothing Kelly's feelings with a cookie. Too obscure a connection I guess, but I am more and more mindful that this story is dragging on and on and am attempting to economize.) In any case, they called her the House Mother because in lots of ways she took over the maternal role of a house mother. So, Gail replaced the house mother functionally and the elliptical replaced the house mother, er, geographically, so to speak.

Thanks for your active involvement in the story! I appreciate hearing about areas that aren't clear to people who don't know my intent.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:24 PM   #40
Mac5689

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrugglingWriter View Post
Ah, yes. The confusion makes sense.

Women's dorms in the past, and also sororities, used to have chaperones. These chaperones were older women who enforced curfews, visitation rules, etc., etc. In my story, sororities have gotten rid of these people and the girls in sororites just all live on their own. For all I know, sororities still have chaperones that live on site, but in this fictional world they're a fixture of the past. If anyone reading wants to give me good info on this, I'd love to have him or her PM me.

When Phi Gamma got rid of the room for the chaperone, they converted that room into a fitness room. In my story, they used to call the chaperone the "House Mother." Now they call the elliptical machine the House Mother because it's housed in the same room.

The connection to Gail is tangential. Gail helped bring a fitness mentality to Phi Gamma, even though she herself got heavier as she was part of Phi Gamma. She is a maternal type, and she gained social cache in Phi Gamma by looking after the girls in the fraternity the way she is starting to look after Kelly. (I tried to communicate this by Gail soothing Kelly's feelings with a cookie. Too obscure a connection I guess, but I am more and more mindful that this story is dragging on and on and am attempting to economize.) In any case, they called her the House Mother because in lots of ways she took over the maternal role of a house mother. So, Gail replaced the house mother functionally and the elliptical replaced the house mother, er, geographically, so to speak.

Thanks for your active involvement in the story! I appreciate hearing about areas that aren't clear to people who don't know my intent.
Ah, now i got it.

You probably communicated it good, I just didn't make the connection for some reason. It happens some times.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:56 AM   #41
Imp

Imp never has a post go unnoticedImp never has a post go unnoticedImp never has a post go unnoticedImp never has a post go unnoticedImp never has a post go unnoticedImp never has a post go unnoticedImp never has a post go unnoticed
Default Kinetic action.

“Didn’t I hear you say some football player was interested in you?”

And that was pretty much the plan. It turns out, this wasn’t just any football player. The football player was potential All-American sophomore wideout Anthony Robertson: six-foot-four of muscle, speed, and attitude…on the field. Off the field, well, no one really knew. It seems he mostly stayed in the gym, out of the campus social scene, and, as a result, out of the local papers. To Gail, over the objections of Caleb, whose history with Gail seemed to become clearer by the moment, this was Kelly’s opportunity to up her value in the eyes of the sorority.

“You’ve got to make this happen quick,” Gail emphasized. “Sherry and Lindsey have to see it—a lot—and you and he still have to be an item when the time comes for room assignments at the end of the summer. And Kelly,” Gail added, “you’re still gonna need to drop ten pounds. At the very least, you can’t gain another ounce."

Kelly didn’t have a problem executing the first part of that plan. Kelly knew how to dress the part, and armed with the right bra, the right form-fitting tee, and a blouse unbuttoned to just there, Anthony didn’t stand a chance. For all he knew, he actually chose her as a partner for menu planning. And when class ended, it was only natural to continue working together on their assignment over a late lunch at the dining hall. A lot of chatter, the occasional light touch of his arm as she crunched her light salad, and Anthony was her willing escort to math class. Leaning against the wall outside the door to the classroom, books held in front of her to frame those outrageous boobs in just-that-way, Kelly saw Lindsey literally do a double-take on her way into the classroom.

But Gail didn’t know that the second part was out of the question, and she had been all-but-shocked that Caleb, ever amused by provoking awkward discomfort in others, didn’t blow her cover about their suspicion about Lierman. Kelly found Caleb already waiting in the kitchen, eager to discuss the topic as soon as she got home.

“Well? Is he hooked?”

“Shut up, Caleb!”

“OK, but is he hooked?”

“He’s nibbling at the bait,” Kelly replied conspiratorily, mostly out of pride. Of course he was hooked! She patted a padded hip for emphasis. “He’ll be on the hook by Friday,” she said diplomatically.

“And if you follow Gail’s instructions, you’ll lose the bigger fish you already have hooked.” Lierman, he meant.

“Yeah...” Kelly reflected pensively. “Well, one thing at a time,” she said. “I need them both." She patted her other hip. "Good thing I have another hook.”

Sure enough, Anthony was Kelly’s date to Friday’s party, and, sure enough, plenty of attention came Kelly’s direction. Girls who used to talk to her all the time came up to Kelly and talked to her for the first time that summer, and the snarky conversation she might have expected with Lindsey failed to materialize.

All in all, though, it was more of a short appearance than attending a party. Anthony, it turns out, wasn’t just mindful of his reputation or a denizen of the gym. Mostly, he was just shy, and not very interesting, and, frankly, not all that intelligent on top of it all. Which is to say, Kelly felt completely comfortable with him, kindly taking the lead and shepherding eaach interaction, still mindful to tastefully showcase him to everyone she felt needed to know that she had Anthony Robertson’s attentions.

And for good reason. Kelly came completely decked out in the most delicious of party dresses she’d picked up at the mall the last weekend. The neckline plunged between her boobs to expose her outrageous cleavage, and only a slender belt interrupted the soft, exaggerated curves of her hips before squeezing together thick thighs just above the knee. Thanks to a trip to Nordstrom’s, the perfect heels pushed out her still-solid rump just enough to make the bootylicious effect she was going for. Kelly’s size was on display for all to see, but it all announced her entry into bombshell status.

Still, less than hour and she and Anthony were eating the inexpensive restaurant meal one would expect from the budget of a scholarship athlete, and after some brief, comfortably polite conversation, Kelly found herself home and changed by ten, lounging with Gail, a plate of Dominos wings, and a six pack of beer on the couch.

“Mission accomplished,” Kelly declared, clinking her bottle against Gail’s.

“I read that once before,” Gail replied. “Beware the insurgency.”

Kelly smiled and took a long pull from her Bud. That was to cover up that, in point of fact, she had absolutely no idea what Gail was talking about.

Last edited by Perry White; 05-05-2011 at 06:54 AM.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #42
morepushing13

another good installment, easily my favorite story running

I do what I do...
Old 05-26-2011, 01:10 AM   #43
StrugglingWriter

For all of Gail’s admonitions to Kelly to not gain weight, she surely wasn’t motivated to help Kelly do it. Pancakes and piggies-in-a-basket for breakfast Saturday morning. Monte Cristo sandwiches for lunch Saturday afternoon. Homemade pizza for dinner Saturday night. Strawberry waffles on Sunday morning.

“I love having someone around to cook for!” she exclaimed over and over. “It’s just not the same by yourself, and once I hit the road again I’m not gonna have the chance.”

Kelly could have resisted. She could have gone running, or studied out of the house. She’d spent her whole freshman year doing just that.

But that wasn’t in the cards. It wasn’t as if Kelly kept her nose in the books all weekend, either. Truth was, she loved spending time with Gail. Kelly was finding conversation with her about the work and relationships after school much more interesting than the chatter about college boys and fashion that seemed to dominate amongst her sorority friends. Not that there wasn’t plenty of that with Gail, too. But she lacked what Kelly was realizing was insecurity and immaturity in her sorority mates: the need to be accepted by everyone else, and to be like everyone else just a little bit better than everyone else.

And, she loved indulging in the fruits of Gail’s cooking. She didn’t even take the chance to learn a few techniques from Gail to help her out in her Home Ec class. Mostly she sat on the couch and watched TV with books cracked open on her lap, every hour or so flipping a page that doubtless bypassed her memory cells.

In the meantime, Kelly’s memory cells took a beating. Kelly quickly learned one thing about Gail: she loved to drink. About four-o’clock each day, Gail would pull out the blender and mix a favorite alcoholic concoction, which meant she was done with business phone calls for the day. Gail would drink a pitcher as she prepared dinner, then switch to wine with the meal, then finish with a toddy before toddling off to bed. There was little doubt that, no matter what her story about Home Ec 101, Gail must have drunk herself fat in college and that cooking class became just an excuse. That, probably, and a lot of comfort hangover breakfasts.

Kelly did her best to keep up, but Gail was way out of her league. Friday night was the first time Kelly ever went to bed tipsy not after a party. Saturday night she passed out on the living room couch mid-conversation with Gail, and early Sunday evening she retired early to bed after a few minutes contemplating a few heaves in her bathroom. She woke up early Monday morning, well before class, feeling bloated, jittery and not at all interested in dragging herself to class.

But she did anyway. In psychology—a queasy stomach leading her to skip her morning snacks—Kelly was reduced to doodling mindlessly in her notebook. In Home Ec, during lecture, she managed to nibble down a couple of Donettes and, correspondingly, jot down a few notes. It was only by the time she and Anthony teamed up to braise a butter sauce (that day’s first practical application at the stove) that she finally sobered up.

Anthony made a few nice, awkward attempts at conversation, which Kelly appreciated but, she told him, couldn’t muster up much conversation herself because she wasn’t feeling well.

“Mm-hm,” he replied. The sound might as well as come from Madea herself.

“No, really, I was in all weekend.”

“I didn’t say you weren’t,” Anthony replied. He smiled, but his face was so dull it was hard to tell exactly what he was thinking. Kelly couldn’t believe it. She was blowing her chance with Anthony Robertson.

“Damn!” Kelly exclaimed. “There we go burning our glaze!”

“Mm-hm,” Anthony replied. It was going to be a long summer in Home Ec.

The next day a fully recovered Kelly was back to her ebullient self, and she was able to shake off both a cake that didn’t rise and another stilted afternoon with Anthony to cheerfully ask him to escort her once more to Pre-Algebra.

“You know,” she said along the way, clutching her books to her bosoms, certain that it pushed the tops up above the neckline of her T, “I’ve never really hung out with a guy quite like you. You just don’t—I mean, you just don’t seem that into me.”

“Oh, I’m into you,” Anthony replied. “I never said I wasn’t, you know?”

“OK,” Kelly replied. “I just wasn’t really sure. Does that mean we could risk violating a few NCAA rules and I could actually take you out to a proper dinner this Friday then?”

“Should be OK,” Anthony said. “I won’t invite the press.” He said it with such a deadpan, you wouldn’t know it was humor.

And that was that. Right back on track.

Pre-algebra, though, threw her for a curve. Test number three came back from a smiling Lierman, but it had a 70 on top and the words, “I think we really should be getting back to our meetings. Stop by before class tomorrow.” It had Kelly worried enough that she stopped through the drive-thru for a large McFlurry on the way home.

Caleb was worried, but actually complementary. Not only on her appearance—which was a shocker, given that Kelly was already feeling snug in her new clothes after last weekend’s extender-bender—but on her work.

“This isn’t bullshit, Kelly. You actually earned this 70.”

“Well, I am taking it for the second time, dummy.”

He even passed giving a retaliatory insult. “Seventy isn’t the A you need, of course,” he said, “but I’ve gotta say I’m a little surprised.”

“But what,” Kelly said, chewing on the last of the carrot sticks Gail had set out for them a few moments before, “about meeting with him again? Where can that go in my schedule?”

“After class like before, of course.”

“No way. That’d cross the line. That’d be like a date.”

“I kept telling you that’s where this is going.” Bastard. Kelly would not have minded that Caleb was right so much, except that he was right all of the time. “And me really needing the extra money right now, too,” he was saying.

That’s when it popped into her head: “Then come along. Wanna double?”

Caleb blinked. Opened his mouth a second. Closed it again. Peered a little closer at her. “You know,” he said carefully, seemingly mulling it over, “you might have stumbled upon a good plan.”

Finally! This time it was actually her idea!
Old 05-26-2011, 03:07 AM   #44
morepushing13

awesome, a new installment! I missed this story. I'm sure you're busy so whenever you can get to a new piece is great.

I do what I do...
Old 06-20-2011, 12:33 AM   #45
StrugglingWriter

Kelly’s after-hours-study-double-date idea went down Thursday night, but it was decidedly deficient on study. 8:30 and a subdued and famished Kelly was sitting self-consciously at a table, staring at the remnants of two baskets of breadsticks and the naked appetizer plate in front of her and observing with some awkwardness the conversation between Dr. Lierman and Caleb and…

…Gail.

Gail had been immediately suspicious Tuesday night when Caleb had asked her to be his date to Kelly’s burgeoning affair with her professor.

“You want me to do what?” she’d asked, a little too dramatically. By that time she was long past her pitcher of frozen margarita and well into her after-dinner wine. “Why is Kelly going to dinner with a professor?

It’s not a date, it’s a tutoring session, Caleb had explained. Kelly’s toughest class, an important professor to butter up, only time possible to meet. We need numbers to make this look right. The professor even mentioned that. Come on, Gail, do it for Kelly.

“It would be nice to get out for a change, even if it’s with you.” Gail giggled, something she almost never did, even drunk. “You’d better treat me to something nice, too, Caleb.”

“Hey, this is a gig for me,” Caleb scoffed. “I expect to be well paid, and I’m sure as hell not paying for dinner.”

Caleb has lied about one thing: Lierman’s note hadn’t mentioned a thing about anyone but Kelly, but the next day he was visibly enthusiastic about Kelly’s idea and the prospect of sizing up her tutor. “But we can’t go to some student hangout like the Burger Barn or anything,” he mentioned. “People see us there and they’re gonna ask questions I’d rather not have to deal with.”

So here they all were at the relatively upscale Spaghetti Emporium, Kelly sitting to Lierman’s right, Caleb to Kelly’s right, and all eyes focused across the table from Kelly on Gail. Gail was a picture of beauty: perfectly coiffed raven hair, smart jewelry, flawless skin and make-up, and devil-may-care, form-fitting clothes that made no pretense of hiding her round wide, flat hips and bulging mid-section in a look of absolute confidence. She was also intelligent, witty, funny and interesting, seeming every bit the part of the made-good-on-life sorority president she claimed to be. As much as Kelly was growing to love Gail, for the first time she understood exactly why she had landed a hot doctor for a boyfriend, and why she clearly excelled in a sales job typically dominated by tight young hotties.

Everything that Gail was tonight, Kelly absolutely wasn’t feeling about herself. Whereas Gail had blown off much of the day to prepare for a night on the town, Kelly had spent her day cramped into two stuffy classrooms and one hot cooking lab. Her make-up was all but gone, and the lame attempt at primping hair before leaving for class in the morning had long since succumbed to an inevitable ponytail. Her jeans, two weeks new, pinched at her thighs, squeezed around her hips, and cinched at her waist so that she didn’t feel she could breathe comfortably. The underwire of her bra dug into her sides and squeezed her boobs into way too much cleavage, and her arms felt puffy and conspicuously bare outside of short sleeves that seemed not to come down quite as far as they should.

And, when she had spread her napkin across her lap, peering beyond her breasts after pushing them down in the way to which she had become so accustomed, she had seen for the first time a smooth little mound breaking the fall of the pleats of her A-line blouse—a look she had never, ever expected to see on herself.

She also felt like she had nothing to add to the conversation around her. They were adults talking about adult things, and she felt like she did on those times her dad had dragged her along to country club meetings: a brief diversion to the adults at the table and the subject of kind attention, but ultimately boring, ignorant and ignored. Gail was all of fifty pounds heavier than Kelly, and yet Kelly was the one who felt like that frumpy, lumpy fat girl unattended to in the corner of the neighborhood bar. She found herself thinking back to all those restaurant conversations with Chip when she had felt free and open and comfortable being herself.

More than anything, though, she felt ravenously hungry. Once again she and Anthony had served up a couple of inedible creations in the Home Ec lab, and Kelly’s quick snack on the way to the restaurant after class—a mega-muffin and large latte—had done little to fill her up, and her appetite had largely regarded the little Caesar salad that came before her meal as some sort of insult. She had watched jealously as Gail had snatched up the bulk of one of the baskets of breadsticks and half the antipasti but felt too out-of-place to ask for more herself. So, she sat sipping on water, trying to listen to conversation and keep her eyes from tracking their waiter, who seemed to be stubbornly refusing to bring their order to their table just to spite Kelly.
At that moment, Lierman’s attention was focused on Caleb, who, after explaining the extensive amount of time he had been spending helping Kelly that summer, was now telling Lierman about his graduate work.

“But,” he was saying, “my grant in the materials lab expires at the end of this summer, and I’m not sure how I’m gonna be able to continue without that support.”

“Your lab work?” Lierman asked. “Well, I have a little pull, and I have a few funds I could direct to the right student if the skills are there. It’ll take a lot more than being an algebra tutor to my students, though. What’s your work about? Much math involved?”

“Well, I’m applying engineering applications for polynomial equations to expansion rates of organic materials.”

“Polynomial equations to—“ Lierman muttered. “Expansion rates…” he paused. Everyone paused with him, as Kelly and Gail had no clue what was being said in all of this jargon and Caleb was just waiting for Lierman’s response.

Lierman cleared his throat, pushed his glasses to the bridge of his nose and leaned back in his chair. “Sounds very impressive, Caleb. What—if I may ask—has been your success?”

“Oh, to this point a moderate geometric sequence,” Caleb said with a smile, “but the right circumstances could have material results on an exponential scale.”

Lierman laughed. “Exponential! I like the way you think. Caleb.”

“Well somebody does!” Gail laughed. “Those are words I thought I’d never hear, Caleb. All I need to know is just exactly what the hell ya’ll are talking about and maybe I’ll be impressed.”

“If you’d kept me as your tutor the way you should have, you’d know. Though I have to admit it turns out you seem to have done all right without me.” Caleb's tone implied he was talking about something more than just Gail's meteoric success in her job.

Gail’s wine glass stopped just a few inches from her face. “Just wha—“

“Chicken cacciatore?”

Gail jumped, wine almost splashing out of her glass. Their waiter had appeared behind her without anyone noticing. Except Kelly.

“Mine!” she said with gusto. “And do you mind bringing more breadsticks and an extra side of marinara?”

For the first time that night, Kelly felt Lierman’s full attention on her. She glanced up at him with a smile as she stuffed a bite of Italian bliss into her mouth, realizing with a bit of a shock that she had felt a bit deprived of his attention and jealous toward her table mates. She took a few awkward chews and glanced Gail’s direction, noticing that she, too, was diving into her manicotti with enthusiasm. With that glance, Lierman’s gazed tracked back over to Gail, who stuffed another bite of stuffed goodness into her maw before finishing the first one, oblivious to the people now watching her. Lierman cast only a passing glance back in Kelly’s direction before launching off into a discussion about math and pharmaceuticals, one in which Lierman did all the talking and Gail all the eating.

Damn! Didn’t I show enough cleavage!? All worry about seeming cheap had seemed to leave her; right now she just felt like a woman scorned. She moved back in her chair, sat up straight and thrust out her chest a bit, but Lierman’s focus continued to be Gail. As weird as this strange dinner with Lierman had made her before was as nervous as she felt now, wondering how much losing Lierman’s interest would affect her grade and her chances at success.

And that’s how dinner went. Kelly watched as Gail stuffed her face and just knew that she was doing it to upstage Kelly on purpose. She almost blew her stack when Gail, wavering about which dessert to order, wound up ordering TWO. It was all Kelly could do to order hers and choke it down before getting out of there without crying at the table.

She stood up abruptly. “Well, this has been great and all, but I have a Psych test in the morning.” And with a few polite good nights, and Gail expressing regret that their social engagement had all but obliterated their study ambitions, Kelly grabbed her books and made her way home. On the way she placed a call to Chip that, to Kelly’s disappointment, once again went straight to voice mail.

So, for Kelly it was a lonely late night dedicated to her books and to the large pizza she ordered. And, to the remaining half-carton of Gail’s favorite Neapolitan ice cream.

If Gail had come home that night, Kelly certainly didn’t hear it. Nor when she got up early did she see any sign of Gail stirring around the house. Not that this was unusual, but still. She put in extra effort this morning arranging her outfit and hair and make-up and even had time to stop for a studious breakfast alone at the IHOP before her ten o’clock test that morning. Like last week’s test before it, she found her psychology test to be easy, which filled her with both confidence and regret: confidence because she had found that by simply putting in the time she could ace this course without any help. (Granted, in this class a 78 still counted as an A.) Regret because had she simply done so the semester before, she might have been having a very different summer.

Kelly was always one of the few students who actually stayed after the test—always on Friday—for the lecture that, due to the time constraints of summer school, inevitably followed. She found that for once she was able to sit all the way through, no snack required, although by the time she made her way to Home Ec she was determined that whatever she and Anthony made that day would absolutely have to be edible.

And thankfully it was. After a truncated lesson and a nice sit-down with Anthony before practical (in which they solidified their Phi Gamma July Fourth BBQ date during food prep), Kelly had her fill of not-bad sautéed vegetables, baked-chicken-all-in-all-just-as-good-as-Shake-n-Bake, and more-or-less-not-lumpy gravy.

Soon she was full and content and intent on topping things off with her usual afternoon stop by the campus coffee stand. A surprisingly sore back (from leaning over a stove for a couple of hours, she assumed) led her to sit down and enjoy her frap and snack. She had just popped her second bite of Crueller donut into her mouth and was reaching over to break off a third when she caught something in the corner of her eye from across the courtyard.

It hit her like a ton of bricks. There was Chip going around the corner of the Math Building hand-in-hand with a short, slender girl in a Phi Gamma letter shirt: the unmistakable form of Phi Gamma’s token Asian girl, Marla.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:21 AM   #46
morepushing13

Thanks for the next installment!

I do what I do...
Old 06-26-2011, 07:23 PM   #47
StrugglingWriter

Default The Road to Molasses, or The Rock of Bacardi

“Whateber yer doin this weekend yer not! Cuz I leab again Sunday and weeee are gettin DRUNK!”

Gail was in her absolute wreck of a kitchen with her arms high in the air as she said it, and clearly she’d found the pathway to Drunk some time ago. She was in her pink satin robe and her hair was a flyaway mess, upward in clumps as if she’d slept in a hairspray do-rag all night. Mascara was smeared around her eyes and pancake batter was all over her lips, her chin and the crown of the round belly poking up out of her half-open robe. She was waving recently licked egg beaters with each hand, and pancake batter was splattered against the cabinets, the wall, the myriad of pots and pans on the counters, and, just a little bit, Kelly.

“I won’t argue with you there,” she replied with a smile, even though she’d walked into the room feeling terrible. Kelly’d watched Gail drink a ton, and she’d never seen her so wasted. Kelly couldn’t believe she was actually standing.

“I wuz gonna make you pancakes cuz I missed makin u breakfast this morning, but the batter iss soooo good! Here!” Gail pushed her large middle into the kitchen island and dipped her finger into the bowl of batter, coming out with her hand half-covered. Kelly leaned over to taste. She was always mindful of her breasts knocking things as she leaned, and she had to stand on her tiptoes to not pinch them against the counter, but this time she was surprised to feel the edge of the counter pushing into her stomach. But she dismissed that from her mid, sucked Gail’s finger like a lollipop, swallowed…

…and started coughing violently as her throat burned like fire!

“Wow!” she gasped after she finished coughing. “What’s in that?”

“Puh-yuuure mo-lasses!” Gail giggled at her makeshift Southern accent. “Mixed with a fifth of black 151 rummm instead ub milk, ub course!” Gail giggled and started sucking her fingers, smearing even more batter on her lips as she did.

“You are so smashed!” Kelly laughed, picking up a (surprisingly) clean dish towel and wiping the batter off of Gail’s mouth, and face. She’d never seen Gail seem so child-like.

“Pfffffffffft,” she replied with buzzing lips, then began picking at her tongue because she’d forgotten to let Kelly take away the towel all the way. “This iss nothin. You wait for this weekend. Ima rock!” She stepped away from the island unsteadily, and the folds of her pink satin nightgown slid to her sides to expose the fullness of her rotund belly, seemingly even rounder by the frame created by the tiny sliver of pink lace panties peaking from under its bottom rim and the matching pink push-up bra cradling her little boobies pertly at its top.

“Rock? More like a noodle, I’d say!” Kelly laughed, reaching out to help steady her.

“I habn’t looked like a noodle since I wuz yer age,” Gail said, pushing away Kelly’s arm, then weaving carefully into the living room. “More like a stufft gnocchi.” She stopped. “Mmmmmm! Gnocchi! Hey! I’m hungry. Grab my drink!”

Kelly looked around the kitchen and among the wreckage of dirty pots, pans and pitchers and saw that Gail’s usual late afternoon cocktails had already been drained to the dregs. Clearly Gail’s “drink” now was her toxic molasses pancake batter. When Kelly got it to the couch Gail dove right in, but Kelly showed more reluctance. There was half a bowl left, and if this had Gail this drunk…

“Go ahead! Iss not that strong,” Gail commented, as always all-but reading her mind. “Im still kinda tipsy from last night.”

“Last night!?” And sloppy drunk at four in the afternoon the next day!

“Yeahhhhhh,” she said, slopping another spoonful mostly into her mouth. “It wuz a really great night!”

Not the way Kelly remembered it. “I thought it was terrible,” she said and jabbed her tablespoon into the bowl to share in the slop. The burn hit her hard, and she felt a buzz almost immediately, but she was thankful for anything that might blur out the last hour of her day. She let down her hair and shook it out, noticing for the first time the tension there that teetered on the verge of a headache.

“Not that, although that meal wuz good, too,” Gail was saying. “I mean after.”

“What did you do after?” Another tablespoonful. Burn. Buzz. This stuff was really potent.

“Im not tellin. Iss a secret.” Gail clearly wanted to tell, and clearly wanted to make a game out of it. Kelly wasn’t really in the mood for that.

“Gail, I tell you everything,” she whined out of frustration from a frustrating afternoon. “Just tell me!” Spoon. Wow. Sweet, sticky, and alcoholic! Spoon again.

“Not eberything.” Gail dropped her spoon into the bowl and sat forward. It took some effort, not because of the alcohol, but because, as Kelly could see, Gail’s wide thighs and round middle wound up competing for too little space. But Gail paid it no mind and wiggled her way to the edge of the cushion, sending jiggly waves all through her thighs and bouncing her firm tummy up and down. “You shoulda told me what this whole“—Gail looked distracted, then paused as she fished out her spoon and started licking the batter off it and her hand as she talked—“rigamarole with that man iss really all about.”

That bastard Caleb must have told her! “That bastard Caleb,” Kelly said, starting to feel warm anger tingling all over.

“Pfffffft, Caleb didn say anything. It was ssssoooo obvious. I didn really know until the end of dinner.” Apparently it wasn’t that obvious. “I sorta had an idea at the appetizers, and then with the extra bread. But what sealed it for me wuz when I ate two desserts. Ugh!”

Gail’s “ugh” was clearly her awareness of the batter expanding in her stomach. She leaned back again into her seat and spread her legs for room. Not that it mattered. Her fleshy thighs spread out to fill the space like the batter in that bowl. Kelly found she felt it, too, after her doughnut and mocha coffee. She unbuttoned her jeans for some relief and was surprised to feel the zipper slide down all on its own. Meanwhile, her brain starting to fog from the shots of rum coursing through her veins, Gail’s comments didn’t compute. “What does any of that have to do with him liking my big boobs?”

“Big boobz!? Pfft. You girlz and yer big boobs. You sssooooo think eberythingz about that.”

“Trust me, it always is.”

“Pfffft.” Her new favorite word. Along with sssoooooooo. “Lossa guyz like big boobz, but only guyz who like fat chicks like to watch em get bigger. I gotta hand it to ya. Iss a great play.”

Kelly missed the part about playing Lierman. All she'd heard was that Gail had just called her a “fat chick."

Fat chick? She knew she’d put back on her weight, that maybe she’d put on a few more after that, that maybe she’d even gotten chubby, but fat?

“I’m not a fat chick! Fat is…it’s—I mean fat is like—“ Kelly didn’t want to say it but her buzzing brain couldn’t think of any way else to put it.

But Gail knew. “Like me?”

Kelly bit her lip and didn’t say anything back. She wanted another shot of batter but given the discussion, she resisted the urge.

“Yup. Ima fat chick now for sure.” She says that so easily, so confidently! “A fat chick with little boobiez, and yet you know that guy was into me all night.” She paused for effect, or maybe to wait for Kelly to say something, or more likely just trying to get her words straight. “You know what? I was known as the fat prezdent of the fattest sorority on campus and I bet I wasn as chub as you til the day I walked at graduation.”

“Not a chance.” Oh, did I actually say that! Kelly’s hand went to her mouth.

Gail just laughed, pushed herself up off the couch and weaved her way into her bedroom. Kelly had the feeling she was going in there to throw up. If Kelly were her, she would have been. She heard the master bathroom door open in apparent confirmation of her suspicion.

“Kelly, I need you in here!” Gail shouted back from the bedroom. Uh-oh. That bad. Kelly pushed herself up off the couch to be ready for a little nursemaiding.

“But will you stop by the fridgie and get us some beerz first?” Damn! The woman was a rock.

Last edited by StrugglingWriter; 06-26-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #48
morepushing13

I look forward to every piece!

I do what I do...
Old 06-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #49
Anubis

Anubis has said some nice things
Default Good Work? I think so!

This story has been a lot of fun from its inception. I thought you deserved to hear that you're putting together a really enjoyable little narrative. Keep up the good work!
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:24 AM   #50
StrugglingWriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
This story has been a lot of fun from its inception. I thought you deserved to hear that you're putting together a really enjoyable little narrative. Keep up the good work!
Thanks. I only wish "little" were the right word. So long, and so many pounds to go!