Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Archives > Hyde Park (Archive Only)

Old 02-22-2011, 03:56 AM   #1
LalaCity

LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Newsweek calling Obama a "failure" on Egypt

...So, the so-called "Liberal Media" -- which, according to our resident right-wing commentators, is supposed to buoy a Democratic President under ANY circumstances -- is calling Obama's response to Egypt a "failure." (This, despite the fact that 18 days of popular, largely peaceful protest on the part of ordinary Egyptians brought about the downfall of President Mubarak.)

All of this regime change has occurred in the ABSENCE of American intervention (with its concomitant loss of hundreds of thousands of lives and the expenditure of trillions of dollars) and has now spread to other parts of the Arab world. Nonetheless, this episode is being deemed by the "Liberal Media" as a "visionless" loss of opportunity by the Obama administration.

So how, I ask you, does our peaceful non-intervention, which has so far seen the abdication of long-standing dictatorships in Algiers, Egypt -- and soon, maybe, Libya -- constitute a "failure" of leadership on out part? This is far more democratic a revolt on the "Arab Street" than happened during the eight years of the Bush administration (with all its bellicose intervention, nation-building, and inflammation of Muslim extremists) and with no commitment of troops or loss of lives on our part.

In other words, what we are witnessing is TRUE revolutionary behavior on the part of the PEOPLE. So why is the "Liberal Media" decrying Obama's failure?

I'm especially curious to hear from right-wingers on this -- though, of course, all responses are welcome.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:26 AM   #2
Big Beautiful Dreamer
ridiculously contented

Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!

Copying my own post from "Egypt -- communications cut."
~
~
I've been a Newsweek subscriber for twenty-three years. I bit my tongue and kept going when they eliminated the Letters to the Editor. I had a moment of silence when Jon Meacham retired. I held my breath when Tina Brown -- Tina Brown -- took the helm.

On Wednesday I came within a whisker of tossing the thing into the recycling bin unread, which would have been a first for me.

Upon settling down with it, I found that the cover referenced not an actual cover story, but an inside-front column written by Niall Ferguson -- a British financial historian, and, somewhat appallingly, Newsweek's new columnits.

Among Ferguson's points is this traffic stopper of a seeming contradiction:

"America’s two closest friends in the region—Israel and Saudi Arabia—are both disgusted. The Saudis, who dread all manifestations of revolution, are appalled at Washington’s failure to resolutely prop up Mubarak. The Israelis, meanwhile, are dismayed by the administration’s apparent cluelessness."

So, let me see if I follow the bouncing ball. First, Saudi Arabia is "America's closest friend in the region?" I would classify the Saudis as an ally in name only, and an allegiance I've distrusted since learning that 18 of the hijackers on the planes on 9/11 were Saudis. America's been having rough skating in Saudi Arabia for a couple of generations now. It's an ally like Pakistan is an ally.

Second: The Saudis apparently think, according to Ferguson, that President Obama should have resolutely propped up Mubarak. At the same time, the Israelis apparently think just the opposite.

President Obama paid attention, received intelligence, considered the situation, and made some statements. He did not charge in, guns blazing, tanks abreast, and declare his desire to kick some Egyptian butt. Mubarak finally, after trying to salvage some dignity, fled Cairo; and similar citizen-fueled uprisings have already taken place in Tunisia and are spreading to Bahrain and Yemen, in an encouraging echo of the Eastern European Velvet Revolution of the late '80s.

I fail to see that President Obama has blown it because, in Ferguson's estimation, he did not surf the wave of change a la Otto von Bismarck.