Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
ThatFatGirl
Master Member

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.
ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Aldi Love

It seemed time to start a thread to rave/share about the good finds at Aldi. Anyone else a fan?

I'd gotten out of the habit of regularly shopping there when my back was so bad opting for the more conveniently located grocery stores (Price Chopper, Hannaford). After complaining about how much I'd been spending at those stores lately and receiving an Aldi flyer indicating this week was their special Italian foods week, I finally got my butt back in there. So glad I did.

My Italian food week highlights:

Sun dried tomato pesto! I bought 12 bottles at $1.99 a piece. They only carry this until supply runs out. This pesto is awesome! Wonderful on pasta and I've used it on top of baked fish and chicken w/ sliced tomatoes, garlic and a bit of parmesan cheese. It was fantastic and I was sad when my small supply was out last year. I may go back and buy more. :-/

stuffed pastas - At $1.69 and $2.19 way cheaper than Buitoni which we've been buying at the regular grocery stores at about $5 a package. I bought mushroom, spinach, and cheese tortellini and ravioli varieties.

I commented to my husband last week after spending $100 on groceries that almost everything I bought at the local chain store was over $3, including coffee creamer which seemed ridiculous. Nothing I bought today at Aldi was over $2.99.

Other little joys from my receipt:

Wheat crackers $1.29 a box (equivalent of Wheat Thins, $3.29 at Price Chopper last week)

Package of one each red & yellow bell peppers $1.69.. I think I've paid close to $2 for just one red pepper at the regular stores

5 pack of vine tomatoes - $1.29

Bag of the sweetest tangerines - $2.29

Bag of butter lettuce - $1.99

Aldi owns Trader Joe's and seems to have some of the same frozen foods with different labels from time to time. It's hit and miss for these. Also, at the beginning of each year they stock some more health oriented foods to get in on the diet resolution bandwagon. For the last two years they've had amazing prices on Amy's organic stuff (stocked only at this time unfortunately) - large pizzas for $5 and vegetable lasagna or enchiladas for $2.99.

Anyone else share the love or do off brands and limited choices scare you? What are your favorite items?

(Photo of baked cod w/pesto added. )

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26245_107531292603848_100000409320270_156298_6011330_n.jpg (94.7 KB, 503 views)

Fleeting Fancies

Last edited by ThatFatGirl; 02-22-2011 at 04:27 PM.
ThatFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #2
penguin
Fnord

penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.
penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I used to shop at Aldi a lot, mostly for the nappies/diapers (good price, great quality). I'd always find some good food bargains there too, though it's been quite a while since I've shopped there, so I don't remember what they were.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
bigsexy920
Ok I'll be good.

bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I like Aldis as well there hasnt been anything i didnt like from there. AND you really save money - and not just a little money - but a huge amount.
bigsexy920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #4
MisticalMisty
Executive Member

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.
MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I love them. I do hate that I like something and then it's gone.

This weekend we got a loaf of 12 grain bread, 2 dozen eggs, 3 lbs of shredded cheese and a box of chocolate eclair bars for 12 bucks.

I am a little bummed that their eggs have jumped 40 cents a dozen..but they are still about a buck 70 cents cheaper than wal-mart.

We always go there first..since they don't stock the same produce at our store all the time. It's great!
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Signed aUp!!!

I've always said the real Aldi commercial would be to show two families with the same food budget, one stick-thin because they shop at Kr**er and the other filled-out and robust because they shop at Aldi! Their generics are delicious and as good or better than well-known brands. I love's me my Aldi!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aldi-logo.jpg (7.0 KB, 483 views)

Not pious, just saved by grace. Your true Christianity
shows in how you treat those who hate you.

You got to lose to know how to win.(Aerosmith-Dream On)

Fat is like grass, it'll never go away and there's a hell
of a lot of money to be made by controlling it!

Life is only therapy, real expensive and no guarantees.

Fat is only ugly to those who hate.

Federal Pacific Panels & Breakers have known fire hazards!
imfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
spiritangel
AmandaClause

spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!
spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!

I dont go often cause I overspend when I do

but my ex nieces and I all loved their chocolate biscuits that are like the mars bar or twix bikkies at the supermakets and the waffer ones

the organic dark chocolate from there whilst not great to eat makes an awesome chocolate cake

the Olive oil is amazing quality, I like their smoked oysters,

it really depends on the day I am there the organics range for the prices it is is awesome

and the Di San laundry soaker is cheap as and far better than any of the more expensive brands.

If they actually did home delivery I would so shop there more.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:32 PM   #7
jcas50
Liberal Scum

jcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot pics

Does everyone realize that Aldi and Trader Joe's have the same owners? The Albrecht brothers from Germany own both chains. They had been operating Aldi for years as Europe's largest supermarket chain. They bought Trader Joe's when they realized it was the same business model with a different end user profile. Both stores go to a producer, tell him what they want, using what ingredients at what delivery schedule at what price. They won't vary. You do business their way or no way.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:43 AM   #8
penguin
Fnord

penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.
penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcas50 View Post
Does everyone realize that Aldi and Trader Joe's have the same owners?
Nope, because we don't have Trader Joe's here.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #9
ThatFatGirl
Master Member

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatFatGirl View Post
Aldi owns Trader Joe's and *snip*
Quote:
Does everyone realize that Aldi and Trader Joe's have the same owners? The Albrecht brothers from Germany own both chains. They had been operating Aldi for years as Europe's largest supermarket chain. They bought Trader Joe's when they realized it was the same business model with a different end user profile. Both stores go to a producer, tell him what they want, using what ingredients at what delivery schedule at what price. They won't vary. You do business their way or no way.
No, had no idea..

I went back the store yesterday and bought another 12 pestos and about 14 packages of mushroom stuffed tortellini. I made some last night adding some peppers, onions, and artichoke hearts stir-fried in olive oil and Italian spices to the dish, then plenty of parmesan cheese. It was wonderful.

The tomatoes I bought earlier in the week are definitely the most flavorful tomatoes I've purchased in months.

Fleeting Fancies
Old 02-25-2011, 12:27 PM   #10
Alicia33
Southern Belle

Alicia33 is a member of the 500 clubAlicia33 is a member of the 500 clubAlicia33 is a member of the 500 clubAlicia33 is a member of the 500 club

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfree View Post
I've always said the real Aldi commercial would be to show two families with the same food budget, one stick-thin because they shop at Kr**er and the other filled-out and robust because they shop at Aldi! Their generics are delicious and as good or better than well-known brands. I love's me my Aldi!
Yeah, the Aldi store in Lebanon is the one I go to sometimes and I agree they are a good store!

"Ain't nothin' wrong with lovin' chunky"
Alicia33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #11
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default A Real Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia33 View Post
Yeah, the Aldi store in Lebanon is the one I go to sometimes and I agree they are a good store!
That certainly makes us close enough to be real neighbors. Great little Aldi store, too! I don't have a car and my oxygen saturation, while on my feet, is still pretty iffy, so Mom gets the Aldi stuff these days.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #12
EMH1701
Master Member

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I like Aldi's, the only issue I have with them is you have to check the expiration dates. The Aldi's where I live often have food close to or past the epxiration dates. I work for a competitor so I feel a tad guilty going there.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #13
Dromond
spucatum tauri

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
That's pretty much standard practice for the big chain stores. They have enough market share they can dictate terms to the manufacturers. If you don't like it, you can shop local. You'll pay through the nose.

I'm a big fan of Aldi. It's inexpensive food that isn't cheap food.
Dromond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #14
Brenda

Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I have always avoided Aldi's as my image of it was a store that sold low quality, out of date food. Maybe I will give it a try.

Brenda
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #15
jewels_mystery
Urban Hippie

jewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going on

If it wasn't for Aldi's, I would have starved when I was in college. I wish there was one near me. I miss their grilled chicken breast strips.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:37 PM   #16
bigsexy920
Ok I'll be good.

bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I thought so too - but that's not the case at all. You should give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
I have always avoided Aldi's as my image of it was a store that sold low quality, out of date food. Maybe I will give it a try.

Brenda
bigsexy920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #17
plumplin3009

plumplin3009 can now change their title
Thumbs up I am an Aldi's junkie!

I adore Aldi's markets. With a large family to feed (there were 8 of us) and a small budget, we really found that it was the only place to shop! I find things there to be as good or better than the nationally advertised brands. In fact, I find them to be mostly better. And wayyy cheaper. I can get 2 times as much food there as compared to other national chains. Staples like butter, eggs, cheese, flour, sugar, peanut butter, etc.......can be `1-2 dollars less. But best of all, I think are the ethnic foods. Their Italian, Oriental, Spanish etc...are of super quality. Just know you gotta bag it yourself, but to save so much, its worth the effort!
plumplin3009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:11 PM   #18
ThatFatGirl
Master Member

It's also worth noting, since there are so few varieties of each item and only the house brands, the stores are small. I've appreciated this fact time and time again. I count walking around the Price Chopper super center in my hood exercise for the day. Aldi's more of a market and that makes me very happy.

Fleeting Fancies
Old 02-27-2011, 10:32 PM   #19
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I keep meaning to go. I have one very near me and I do all of my grocery shopping on foot (whether I'm buying a bag of kitty litter, or a gallon of milk, or both at the same time!) so I need to head over there. Whenever I think of it, I remember I don't have cash and that's what they take. I grew up knowing Aldi both in America and in Europe, where we visited a lot as a family when I was younger (my mother was born there). It's a German chain, yes? So you get great little high-quality chocolates and other treats from Germany. Can't beat that with a stick. And yes, you bag your own stuff, but in a city, I'm already used to that, and frankly, I think we should ALL be bringing our own bags to the store anyway, so there you go.
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:41 PM   #20
sunnie1653
Happiest. Mommy. Ever. :)

sunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Jes - the Aldi by us takes debit/credit cards too .. not just cash. You might want to look into it.
sunnie1653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:57 AM   #21
HeavyDuty24
Come on rise up

HeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHeavyDuty24 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

i've always wanted to shop at Aldi,seems there are new locations popping up around here,i hear it's the Wal-Mart killer but i will have to see.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #22
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

Default They're Trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty24 View Post
i've always wanted to shop at Aldi,seems there are new locations popping up around here,i hear it's the Wal-Mart killer but i will have to see.
They're giving Wally a run for the money, here, in Lebanon, Tn., by pricing eggs below $.50 a dozen.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #23
Dromond
spucatum tauri

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty24 View Post
They beat WalMart food prices in almost every category.
Dromond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #24
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

The closest Aldi is approximately 1,000 miles away.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:18 PM   #25
shinyapple
crunchy in milk

shinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticedshinyapple never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
The closest Aldi is approximately 1,000 miles away.
Have you hit WinCo since they've moved into the state, Fuzzy? I loved them when I lived in WA and I was really excited to see them here. I'm even willing to drive the twenty minutes into Roy to get to the one near me. The cost savings is worth it.

shinyapple is offline   Reply With Quote