Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 02-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #26
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

The tip I have is actually from Julia Child. If you're making rice, don't use a spoon to stir it. Use a fork. It gets fluffier and the kernels don't break.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:15 PM   #27
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Speaking of rice, if you like it as much as I do, I'd recommend getting a rice cooker! My in-laws gave us one as a wedding gift, and it's been used at least once a week for thirty years. You put in the rice and water or broth, plug it in, and you don't have to check it, stir it, or, generally speaking, worry about it until it announces, with a soft 'pop,' the arrival of perfectly cooked rice. This lets you concentrate on preparing the curry or whatever else you're planning to put on the rice.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #28
ConnieLynn
has left the building.

ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!

My favorite tip is also from Julia Child. With baking, when you can smell it, it's done. I've followed this rule for years. Keeps you from overcooking chocolate baked goods (brownies) and from burning breads
ConnieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:43 PM   #29
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Ditto on the rice cooker. Life simplified.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #30
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I put the rice cooker on the list, and I found a kitchenaid stand mixer at a kitchen outlet for a really, really good price!

Tip: Put smaller or lightweight cutting boards on a kitchen towel, pot holder or paper towel to keep the from slipping while chopping.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:25 PM   #31
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

couple of hints from my kitchen

i use one of those wire egg slicers to do hubs mushrooms. those things are crazy hard to hold on to once you wash them...plus i get even slices

i tend to buy cheese in a block as i find it lasts longer than cheese that comes pre-sliced. when i want to shred some for my salad i use a peeler to whittle away at 1 end. it takes up less room in the dishwasher than a grater.

i use parchment under pretty much everything i put in the oven, not just cookies. i find it keeps my pans from getting that baked on grease, allows more even cooking without burning and makes it easier to get things off the trays.

my in laws eat out alot and save the small kfc side containers for us. they are microwave/dishwasher safe and re-usable. they are awesome for taking snacks for my daughter, using to freeze leftovers or to send messy stuff for lunch with hub.

i save/buy tin foil pans to use on the grill. i put veg and a bit of water in a pan and set on one side of the grill. then i set another tin pan on top to form the lid. i let them cook on the grill while i do the chicken and they steam while i cook.
luvmybhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:23 AM   #32
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybhm View Post
i use parchment under pretty much everything i put in the oven, not just cookies. i find it keeps my pans from getting that baked on grease, allows more even cooking without burning and makes it easier to get things off the trays.
I use a silicone-covered baking mat to do the same thing. It lets your baked goods cook evenly, plus you can knead dough on it: everything rinses right off under the tap. You can find out more about it here.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:31 PM   #33
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

thanks for the link! i had a silicone mat, but it got lost in one of my moves. will check this one out.
luvmybhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:13 PM   #34
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
I use a silicone-covered baking mat to do the same thing. It lets your baked goods cook evenly, plus you can knead dough on it: everything rinses right off under the tap. You can find out more about it here.
I love mine, and I didn't know you could knead dough on it. Good tip!