Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > FA/FFA forum

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 06:32 PM   #51
superodalisque

superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynyc View Post
It's part of that journey in feeling that you have self worth - the ability to laugh at yourself - have no self doubt or pity and to recognize your worth.
yep, just the same as it is for the women.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #52
Webmaster
Chief Emeritus

Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
Actually I think things have changed quite a lot -- and for the better.
Note that I said that "in many ways" things have not changed. In some ways they have.

I once wrote an editorial in the old print version of Dimensions where I predicted that fat discrimination would only change once a lot more people were fat, or the average person were a lot larger than they were back then. I do think that has happened to some extent in the 20 years or so since I wrote that.

However, society's willingness to accept (or perhaps humanity's ability to perceive as "normal") anything outside of maybe one or two standard deviation away from the mean is limited. "One standard deviation" to the left and right of the mean includes about 67% of all people, and in general, we don't look twice if anyone is within this range; it looks "normal." Two standard deviations, however, includes about 95% of all people, and chances are that a person outside of that norm may attract our attention. Three standard deviations would mean about 99.5%, and anyone outside of that range will definitely attract attention. What all this means is that as the mean weight of the population goes up, the top end of what is considered outside of the "normal" range shifts as well, which means that people of a certain size who did attract attention 20 or 30 years ago now attract less attention.

Then there are other phenomena: while fat people as a group are enormously profitable for the diet industry, and there's been a relentless drive to make fat people feel unattractive and unwanted so that they would buy more diet products, the same does not hold true for the fashion industry. With so many more plus-size women out there, the last thing that industry wants is to antagonize fat people and keep them from buying. So while diet remains a huge industry and their thrust is in making fat people unhappy with their size, other industries will try to appeal to larger people in an effort to get them to buy.

Finally, when you look at NAAFA or most other size acceptance entities, you find that much of the constituency is outside of those two standard deviations. And for those people, the situation in terms of acceptance has changed less than it has for those who fall within the new "normal" range.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #53
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post

Finally, when you look at NAAFA or most other size acceptance entities, you find that much of the constituency is outside of those two standard deviations. And for those people, the situation in terms of acceptance has changed less than it has for those who fall within the new "normal" range.
For the most part I agree. The so called obesity epidemic hasn't helped (It would have been nice if Paul Campos's book The Obesity Myth had been more influential).

Also, while things are far from perfect for disadvantaged groups, the last thirty years or so have seen advances in inclusion. At least here in California gays have been very successful in integrating into the workplace and society at large. The same is true for many minority groups. Disabled people have also fought for greater access to the workplace and society although with less success than hoped. I'm thinking that this atmosphere greater diversity and acceptance has helped many supersize folks.

I'm not saying that things are prefect by any means -- just that many people are more accepted today than they would have been thirty years ago.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #54
Fox

Fox is a member of the 500 clubFox is a member of the 500 clubFox is a member of the 500 clubFox is a member of the 500 clubFox is a member of the 500 clubFox is a member of the 500 club

Quote:
When I look at many threads and posts here at Dimensions, the topic is how physical attraction shouldn't matter, that it's the inside that counts, that seeking fatness or certain attributes is just a fetish, and so on.
What?! That actually happens on THIS site? That's terrible! Of all the forums in the world that are plagued with anti-FA thoughts and anti-fat thoughts, this site should not be one of them!

I just can't help but finding this upsetting and offensive. Why would women with such opinions stay on this site? Knowing that they are actively opposing the site's very intentions and goals. It really makes it seem like the women who do that here are just here for respect and sympathy from others that they refuse to give back. It's just not right.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:45 AM   #55
The Orange Mage
♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓

The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
What?! That actually happens on THIS site? That's terrible! Of all the forums in the world that are plagued with anti-FA thoughts and anti-fat thoughts, this site should not be one of them!

I just can't help but finding this upsetting and offensive. Why would women with such opinions stay on this site? Knowing that they are actively opposing the site's very intentions and goals. It really makes it seem like the women who do that here are just here for respect and sympathy from others that they refuse to give back. It's just not right.
You may find, as I have, that a fat woman isn't exactly what you want and need. You'll find that these "normal" ladies are missing something...they just don't "get it" like you do when it comes down to it. The kind of woman you want and need exists, but IMO are even more rare than out-and-proud FAs.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #56
Dolce
ShapeShifter

Dolce knows EXACTLY what's going onDolce knows EXACTLY what's going onDolce knows EXACTLY what's going onDolce knows EXACTLY what's going onDolce knows EXACTLY what's going onDolce knows EXACTLY what's going onDolce knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange Mage View Post
The kind of woman you want and need exists, but IMO are even more rare than out-and-proud FAs.
Could you guys do me a favor and please describe this woman to me? Because I think part of the problem is that the woman wants a man who has the mind of a woman and the man wants a woman with the mind of a man. It's obvious that we are not thinking alike.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #57
joswitch
Exile from Main Board

joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:

^Ah, we've had this discussion before.

The answer is, they got comfy here and made female friends, who they like talking to. And they enjoy stompin' on any FAs, especially noObs, who get outta line. Those who are like that aren't really interested in any(thing about) FAs, at all.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #58
lovelylady78

lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!

<pokes head in>

Feel free to worship my body! Kthnxbi

<ducks out>

Old 04-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #59
Fox

Fox is a member of the 500 clubFox is a member of the 500 clubFox is a member of the 500 clubFox is a member of the 500 clubFox is a member of the 500 clubFox is a member of the 500 club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolce View Post
Could you guys do me a favor and please describe this woman to me? Because I think part of the problem is that the woman wants a man who has the mind of a woman and the man wants a woman with the mind of a man. It's obvious that we are not thinking alike.
Well, I'm looking for a big and beautiful girl who's sweet, kind, silly, romantic, and can accept me for who I am. I want her to see my being a FA as a good thing, rather than a disgusting fetish. I mean, sure, when I find this woman, I will adore what's inside as much as I would adore the outside, but I really want this lady to feel the same way about me, because if she can't accept me over something that I can't help, then I doubt she could ever truly adore me for what's inside, you know?
Old 04-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #60
lovelylady78

lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!lovelylady78 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Well, I'm looking for a big and beautiful girl who's sweet, kind, silly, romantic, and can accept me for who I am. I want her to see my being a FA as a good thing, rather than a disgusting fetish. I mean, sure, when I find this woman, I will adore what's inside as much as I would adore the outside, but I really want this lady to feel the same way about me, because if she can't accept me over something that I can't help, then I doubt she could ever truly adore me for what's inside, you know?
Ok, notwithstanding the silly post above, I had to come in after reading this and make a serious one.

Fox, I don't think I've ever seen someone explain being an FA like you have above, and I think it's the most relatable way I've ever seen it put. A lot of the BBWs on this site want a man to accept them over their weight-- a lot of the time, something they see and describe as something they can't help. You'd think more of us would make much more of an effort to be understanding and be willing to offer the same consideration to someone else as the one we're expecting for ourselves.

I too have made remarks using the word "fetish" with a negative connotation. I'm totally guilty of that. And I think it's because we're using the word unfairly. I think most of the time when you see a BBW talk about someone with a "fetish," it's more along the lines of someone who lurks on the boards only to see the naked fat chicks but doesn't see a person and only sees an object-- they don't want the person, they only want the fat. And for the vast majority of FAs, that's not the case. They want the fat and the person-- the whole fat person. And, for me, that's not only ok...that's awesome. So I think the symantics of the relationships and attitudes between FAs and BBWs (and probably improperly used symantics at that) sometimes makes them unnecessarily complicated. We each think the other is saying something they're not really saying.

But, anyway, great post, Fox...rep is on the way.

Last edited by lovelylady78; 04-04-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #61
TraciJo67
On Timeout

TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Fox, I'm just building from your post, and not personalizing my response to you. I just wanted to make that clear.

I have nothing inherently for, or against, an FA. An FA is, to me, just a person who prefers fat men or women. I know that many strong, outspoken women who post at Dims prefer to date FA's exclusively ... and I can readily understand their reasoning. It's a wonderful feeling, to know that your partner worships your body and loves every lush inch of it. But that is one aspect of a relationship ... an extremely important one, to be sure, but still ... there are so many other considerations for a long-term partner and sexual compatibility is only one of them. Also, I think that many self-identified FA's (and BBW/BHM for that matter) assume that *only* an FA could find him/her attractive. I don't think that this is true. I believe that there are a lot of men and women who simply do not have set preferences and can love, appreciate (and worship) a fat body independent of whether that individual *identifies* as FA.

I believe that much of what is ascribed as mistrust or even hatred for FA's is misidentified altogether. I dislike an entitlement attitude, or someone who feels that he/she should be treated with deference due to what amounts to a preference. I am suspicious of the fetish element, but understand that this is first, MY issue ... and second, probably a statistically insignificant percentage of those who identify as FA.

Many of the men (and women) who constantly bemoan poor treatment of the FA are probably getting negative feedback for an issue other than his/her preference. Some will read what I have to say and ignore or outright overlook what I'm *actually* saying in favor of lumping me into the category of FA-hating shrewish harpy. That isn't what I'm about, at all.

I'm glad that there's a lid for every pot I just don't assign bonus points to the lid that fits mine. I reserve that for how he treats me overall, and for how well we mesh in many areas ... not just sexual compatibility. I assume that anyone who would want to date me has already made a statement, at least non-verbally, that physical attraction exists. I'm not grateful for that. I don't have to be.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #62
joswitch
Exile from Main Board

joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

@Fox and Lovelylady both:

Great posts! Yes indeed!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #63
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelylady78 View Post
Ok, notwithstanding the silly post above, I had to come in after reading this and make a serious one.

Fox, I don't think I've ever seen someone explain being an FA like you have above, and I think it's the most relatable way I've ever seen it put. A lot of the BBWs on this site want a man to accept them over their weight-- a lot of the time, something they see and describe as something they can't help. You'd think more of us would make much more of an effort to be understanding and be willing to offer the same consideration to someone else as the one we're expecting for ourselves.
Exactly. I see a good relationship as an equal partnership. They both share, accept, support, and love each other along the way. However, if there are things one cannot accept about the other (especially things like this very topic of fat admiration), this can lead to trust issues, then lies, then fights, then most likely the end of a relationship.
My whole life has been spent dealing with discrimination against me or people similar to me. I think the last person I want discriminating against me is the person I might end up spending the rest of my life with.

Quote:
I too have made remarks using the word "fetish" with a negative connotation. I'm totally guilty of that. And I think it's because we're using the word unfairly. I think most of the time when you see a BBW talk about someone with a "fetish," it's more along the lines of someone who lurks on the boards only to see the naked fat chicks but doesn't see a person and only sees an object-- they don't want the person, they only want the fat.
I understand where you come from on this. Understanding a stigma or minority is not an easy task. Your whole life, you've been conditioned (by media, school, possibly family or friends) to think that stigma A is bad, wrong, or like a fetish, or that stigma b doesn't really even exist. And after you hear these things for so long, you began to believe them as your mind begins to accept what you hear from the majority as a complete reality. But as you meet the people of Stigma a or stigma b, you began to hear things in a different perspective. It's often a perspective that challenges everything and all you've been taught before. Some people can learn these new perspectives and become more accepting of stigma a or b, but some people become closed minded of the stigma and stick to what they've been taught previously (like all skinheads, homophobes, fat haters, etc. do).

Quote:
And for the vast majority of FAs, that's not the case. They want the fat and the person-- the whole fat person. And, for me, that's not only ok...that's awesome. So I think the symantics of the relationships and attitudes between FAs and BBWs (and probably improperly used symantics at that) sometimes makes them unnecessarily complicated. We each think the other is saying something they're not really saying.
Well, that depends on the individual. I read before that you used the term "fetishist" to describe a FA that only wants the body of a BBW/SSBBW and not for the woman herself. Well, what you see there is not a fetish. It's just a typical shallow man being a typical shallow man. Just like with men who like thin woman. There are men who want to get with that SEXY SIZE 0-4 and just have sex to their heart's content, but not a day later, he stops answering her phone calls, stops talking to her and completely leaves her to get with the next SEXY SIZE 0-4! But on the other hand, you have a man who likes thin women, but unlike the first male I described, he wants a genuine, loving relationship. Basically what I'm trying to say is that the only difference between a FA and a non-FA is that one likes fat girls and the other doesn't. Besides that, it's basically all the same attractions, actions, feelings, heartbreaks, and whatnot.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #64
lovelylady78

Quote:
I read before that you used the term "fetishist" to describe a FA that only wants the body of a BBW/SSBBW and not for the woman herself. Well, what you see there is not a fetish. It's just a typical shallow man being a typical shallow man. Just like with men who like thin woman. There are men who want to get with that SEXY SIZE 0-4 and just have sex to their heart's content, but not a day later, he stops answering her phone calls, stops talking to her and completely leaves her to get with the next SEXY SIZE 0-4! But on the other hand, you have a man who likes thin women, but unlike the first male I described, he wants a genuine, loving relationship. Basically what I'm trying to say is that the only difference between a FA and a non-FA is that one likes fat girls and the other doesn't. Besides that, it's basically all the same attractions, actions, feelings, heartbreaks, and whatnot.
Exactly-- that's exactly why I said we were using the term "fetish" improperly because we're not necessarily describing a "fetish" at all...we're describing any random shallow asshole, just like you said. (I say not necessarily because I do believe there's a certain level of fetishism present in liking ANYTHING sexually too obsessively...and I guess it's to each person what he/she defines as "too obsessively.")

But what you just said is exactly what I mean by the symantics of it-- the words we use in these instances say one thing while we mean another.

And I've said this before, I honestly don't think 99% of us (those of us who have posted and interact with each other anyway) are that far apart in our beliefs about relationships in terms of how people should be treated and how we see our partners (or for those of us who are single, how we conceptualize the relationship we'd like to have with our potential partners) and vice versa. I just think we use poor words (words probably tainted by the sitgma and conditioning you mentioned above) to try get our point across, but those words don't really help to convey what is truly meant.

Again, I completely agree with what you're saying.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #65
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraciJo67 View Post
I have nothing inherently for, or against, an FA. An FA is, to me, just a person who prefers fat men or women. I know that many strong, outspoken women who post at Dims prefer to date FA's exclusively ... and I can readily understand their reasoning. It's a wonderful feeling, to know that your partner worships your body and loves every lush inch of it. But that is one aspect of a relationship ... an extremely important one, to be sure, but still ... there are so many other considerations for a long-term partner and sexual compatibility is only one of them.
You are correct, Traci. Often, people confuse a physical relationship with a sexual relationship. I personally believe that a sexual relationship is a compound of a physical, mental, and spiritual attributes. Just like human sexuality is a mixture of physical, mental, and spiritual feelings, so is a sexual relationship. The difference is that a sexual relationship deals with these feelings between two people rather than just dealing with the feelings of oneself. Those couples who find a good balance of these attributes can have a very wonderful and healthy relationship. Those who can't find the balance aren't going to have a very good relationship and will eventually end up splitting up if they can't work things out.

Quote:
Also, I think that many self-identified FA's (and BBW/BHM for that matter) assume that *only* an FA could find him/her attractive. I don't think that this is true. I believe that there are a lot of men and women who simply do not have set preferences and can love, appreciate (and worship) a fat body independent of whether that individual *identifies* as FA.
I actually do agree with this. I do have my preferences as a FA and as a human being in general, but I realize that a beautiful woman is beautiful (regardless of her size). And I find the fact that you are open to dating a non-FA who really likes you a very respectable notion, and will probably be beneficial to you in finding a soul mate.

Quote:
Many of the men (and women) who constantly bemoan poor treatment of the FA are probably getting negative feedback for an issue other than his/her preference. Some will read what I have to say and ignore or outright overlook what I'm *actually* saying in favor of lumping me into the category of FA-hating shrewish harpy. That isn't what I'm about, at all.
This can happen. An FA can be upset at people and say they are discriminating against him, when in reality, he's just being a douche. If someone behaves this way, one can assume he's still very insecure due to being a social stigma. In that case, his douchery is probably derived from his insecurities. I know that when I was younger, I use to throw a fit or two about unfair I thought it was that I can't share my preferences and thoughts about women with my friends the way they always do amongst themselves and to me. It may not seem like something to feel upset about, but when all your friends talk about is girls, and always discriminate against fat girls and "any freak who would like them", it can be a problem. A lot of minorities are still upset at the fact that they are minorities, along with having problems in life just like everyone else has. That's why I want to be as accepting and understanding of people as I can. Everyone's got his own sack of rocks to carry. I don't feel the need to add to it.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #66
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I haven't read through this entire thread (or any of it, honestly) but the main problem I have with the idea of FAs and fat people being the "perfect" match is that appearances change.. I don't think being physically in tune with each other makes you the perfect match. Appearances are fluid, long term relationships aren't.. so I guess I'm missing the compatibility piece. Honestly, I've found the opposite to be true.. the "connections" I've had with FAs have so far been completely or significantly attached to sex.. and they've been, at times, fantastic "connections" but I'm not sure the FA/fat person thing goes much deeper than that. Can it? Sure. But its certainly not the be all and end all.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:32 AM   #67
Angel
no apologies for being me

Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!Angel keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
I keep looking at the thread title and thinking, "All too often is the fat person the unwilling participant of the (F)FA's sexual attraction/fantasies." =\
Quote:
I think that's probably the most negative interpretation possible.

When two people find each other, AND they get along and have a wonderful relationship, AND it's admiration and thrill mind, body and soul... I really don't see a downside to that.
Quote:
You may find, as I have, that a fat woman isn't exactly what you want and need. You'll find that these "normal" ladies are missing something...they just don't "get it" like you do when it comes down to it. The kind of woman you want and need exists, but IMO are even more rare than out-and-proud FAs.
I discovered Dimensions over ten years ago. I read what print editions I had from cover to cover; and sometimes reread certain articles. I've read a lot of what is on the online site. I've been reading the forums for years. I read at 4-5 other fat related forums also. I've chatted with and talked with many male FAs and male feeders and male FAs and/or feeders who find the thought of women gaining to be stimulating and arousing.

People come here for different reasons. People stay for different reasons. Not everyone is here to "mingle" with those of the opposite sex. Depending upon what someone's reasons for being here are, they may only see what is posted on the surface. I understand how shocking some posts and fantasies and stories can be to those who don't share similar ideals or values or kinks. I also understand how many FAs and feeders feel frustrated and misunderstood. I understand that many women here have been objectified and misled by men who either are ashamed of the women they are attracted to; or who are secretly manipulative and controlling; or who are fetishist hiding under the guise of being an FA; or who are married and looking for a fat woman on the side. I understand that there are some young FAs and/or feeders who do openly admit to their preferences, yet who are tarnished by the actions of their not so honest predecessors. Add to that all the media hype, and the negative sensationalism of anything relating to extreme obesity, and the fact that some cannot distinguish fantasy from reality.

There are so many variables that are being squished under the curtain of BBW and FA. Not every BBW is the same. Not every FA is the same. Not every FFA is the same. Not every BHM is the same. Not every feeder is the same. Not every encourager is the same. Not every feedee is the same. Not every gainer is the same. Not every fetishist is the same. Not every fat person is the same. Not every slim person is the same.

We don't always understand others. All we know is what we see on the surface. All we know is what they permit or allow us to know. Someone may claim to be just an FA or may self identify as someone who is attracted to those with a more generous figure. They may be a lot more than that, but if they are not honest, you won't know until it's too late. On the other hand there are fat individuals who want to be desired but who either can't emotionally handle the thought of someone being aroused by their degree of fatness or who would prefer that they were appreciated for the person that they are rather than for the body they reside in. Everyone should be entitled to their personal feelings and to their personal preferences without being ridiculed or without being made to feel ashamed or less than. There is frustration and misunderstandings on all sides. There is mistrust and genuine reasons why some have their guard up. The only way to absolve all of this is to open up the lines of communication and to be honest. Not everyone will understand or "get it". Not everyone is into the erotic side of fatness. It doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with those who are. And there isn't anything wrong with anyone who wants to be appreciated for who they are as a person inside first and foremost.

It is a wonderful thing when two people who understand each other find each other. That could happen a whole lot more if there was more discussion rather than shutting someone down when they finally do begin to open up. A fat person who has been brought up in a fat hating society and who has never known the love of a FA won't necessarily understand the thoughts or fantasies of a FA much less those of a feeder. The thoughts and fantasies of a FA are ingrained in the mind of the FA, not usually in the mind of the fat person the FA is attracted to. If fat people continue to reject the thoughts and fantasies of the FA, or worse are repulsed by them, the FAs will continue to turn to fat erotica and to fat paysites instead of being open with those they find attractive. A person can only handle rejection and their thoughts as being repulsive so many times. There needs to be much more open discussion. There may never be 100% approval, but there would at least be some more understanding and openness. Hopefully, there would be.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #68
Weirdo890

Weirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Bill Fabrey, the man who founded NAAFA (which then stood for National Association to Aid Fat Americans) in 1969 often told of the first meetings of the organization in Manhattan. He described how a group of fat women would come together and sit in a circle, and how a few men also attended the meeting, but they sat in the corners or along the wall. Those men obviously came to the meetings because they were interested in fatness and fat people. The fat women there mostly saw them as creepy and to be suspicious of.

It's almost half a century later, and in many ways nothing has changed. When I look at many threads and posts here at Dimensions, the topic is how physical attraction shouldn't matter, that it's the inside that counts, that seeking fatness or certain attributes is just a fetish, and so on.

That's really sad. It's also one of the main reasons why I started Dimensions all those decades ago, to help fat people and their admirers learn about each other and find each other. I have always felt that as long as there are fat people and those who seek and admire them, bringing those groups together made for a potential match made in heaven. And I still feel that way.

There is a reason why we are the way we are, why we are born a certain way or grow up to be a certain way. And there is a reason why we seek for someone special and have visions and dreams of that someone to fill the void and want in our lives. The big tragedy here simply is that FAs want and seek a human quality that is, in general, not considered attractive. So those who do consider fatness attractive feel/are made to feel that they are weird for wanting something that is considered bad by society. And those who are fat and hate being fat look with suspicion on those who find them attractive, and the last thing they want is to be reminded of the part of themselves that they hate.

So it's a case of wish-for-something (FAs) versus hate-to-be-that-something (fat people). And that makes for the "How dare you find me physically attractive! You are weird!" we see all too often. That's so sad as this denial of oneself, this self hatred, is the source of much misery where happiness could be, with or without a partner.
It is sad to see that. I hope that everyone finds that special someone who can satisfy them on all levels.

However, I do hold out hope. Dimensions has done a lot of good for people. It has brought together those who felt left out and have given them a safe haven where they can be accepted. It has helped to give me confidence, as well as my girlfriend. I figure that if at least person is empowered by this site, then they can pass that on to others.

"Conquer all, but one escapes
Govern all, but one dissents
Embark on genocide, and one shall rise to damn you."
- Jack Kirby "Hunger Dogs"

My YouTube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU24ty301nY
Old 04-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #69
FatKatLuvr
Balance and Infinity

FatKatLuvr can now change their title
Default I agree with you (Webmaster) and will add this:

Quote:
Bill Fabrey, the man who founded NAAFA (which then stood for National Association to Aid Fat Americans) in 1969 often told of the first meetings of the organization in Manhattan. He described how a group of fat women would come together and sit in a circle, and how a few men also attended the meeting, but they sat in the corners or along the wall. Those men obviously came to the meetings because they were interested in fatness and fat people. The fat women there mostly saw them as creepy and to be suspicious of.

It's almost half a century later, and in many ways nothing has changed. When I look at many threads and posts here at Dimensions, the topic is how physical attraction shouldn't matter, that it's the inside that counts, that seeking fatness or certain attributes is just a fetish, and so on.

That's really sad. It's also one of the main reasons why I started Dimensions all those decades ago, to help fat people and their admirers learn about each other and find each other. I have always felt that as long as there are fat people and those who seek and admire them, bringing those groups together made for a potential match made in heaven. And I still feel that way.

There is a reason why we are the way we are, why we are born a certain way or grow up to be a certain way. And there is a reason why we seek for someone special and have visions and dreams of that someone to fill the void and want in our lives. The big tragedy here simply is that FAs want and seek a human quality that is, in general, not considered attractive. So those who do consider fatness attractive feel/are made to feel that they are weird for wanting something that is considered bad by society. And those who are fat and hate being fat look with suspicion on those who find them attractive, and the last thing they want is to be reminded of the part of themselves that they hate.

So it's a case of wish-for-something (FAs) versus hate-to-be-that-something (fat people). And that makes for the "How dare you find me physically attractive! You are weird!" we see all too often. That's so sad as this denial of oneself, this self hatred, is the source of much misery where happiness could be, with or without a partner.

This is a reprint of a PM, that I sent to JayWestCoast, one year and one month ago. I also sent a copy of this PM to you , Conrad, a year ago this month. I didn't receive a reply back from you then and that's alright. I 've decide to print it here in the Forums, because I believe it has relevance to your post. At the end is a message I wrote to you, Conrad when I sent the PM to you. I think you will recall the following:

(original PM sent to JayWestCoast, then forwarded to The Webmaster, again over one year ago)

Quote:
What happened to the old Dimensions?

I read your post and understood all of it very well. A few weeks ago I visited the site and came across a post that Conrad left in response to other members who were arguing about what Dimensions "is" and "what it isn't". Conrad set the record straight and I'm glad he did. It's been a long time coming, I'm surprised he held back for so long.

But in the end the real problem with "Dimensions Online" is that the forums have come to define what "Dimensions" is about and that's wrong.

"Dimensions Magazine" defined itself ,by it's styling of information, images and focus. It created the arena for FA's to find out about themselves and for BBW's to learn about FA's and for both to learn about each other. All of this without outside interference.

"Dimensions Magazine" is gone, "Dimensions Online" is not "Dimensions", "The Forums" is "Dimensions" now.

Don't get me wrong I understand that "Dimensions Online" with "the forums", aided in helping many new, young FA's, like yourself, find your self-image in this thin crazed world. However, I think it's time that "The Forums" be done away with.

It's time for Dimensions Magazine to be resurrected anew, once again guided by the vision of it's creator Conrad B. , assisted by the lovely Ruby and let Dimensions Magazine once again define "Dimensions Online". Dimensions Magazine defined the dimensions of thought, creativity, imagination and communication as it pertained to the issue of fat and the admiration of people of size.

"Fat politics" were left up to the individual to decide, alone. Holding a magazine in your hands, actually reading the articles and seeing the images of beautiful , confident or sometimes not so confident ( but getting there) people of size find their voice and a place to call "home", was a thing of wonder back in the early days.

I salute your effort to wanting to look at the past so it can help heal the present and hopefully save the future of Dimensions. Maybe you should think about picking up where CB has left off, after all, you are the future and I can't help but hear a young "Conrad" in you

Note:
Quote:
This was meant with the utmost respect for you, Conrad. Dimensions is after all YOUR creation. I just don't feel that "the forums" represents what the print magazine was. I'd like to think that you understand what I mean by this. I've tried for awhile to express myself here in "the forums" but it has proved impossible to do so without certain "forum moral police" wanting to censor my words and point of view. It's gotten so out of hand that I decided to just visit and read, and not get involved. It's not what I wanted to do but what I had to do in order keep peace of mind and peace in my visitations to this site. Whatever happens I'll always love what Dimensions has brought to my life. Sincerely, Kevin

Old 04-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #70
Weirdo890

Weirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWeirdo890 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatKatLuvr View Post
This is a reprint of a PM, that I sent to JayWestCoast, one year and one month ago. I also sent a copy of this PM to you , Conrad, a year ago this month. I didn't receive a reply back from you then and that's alright. I 've decide to print it here in the Forums, because I believe it has relevance to your post. At the end is a message I wrote to you, Conrad when I sent the PM to you. I think you will recall the following:

(original PM sent to JayWestCoast, then forwarded to The Webmaster, again over one year ago)

Note:

I don't know if the forums should be done away with. I find it a good way for both sides to communicate and for an exchange of ideas. It should be an extension of the magazine. The magazine should be the gateway to the community.

"Conquer all, but one escapes
Govern all, but one dissents
Embark on genocide, and one shall rise to damn you."
- Jack Kirby "Hunger Dogs"

My YouTube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU24ty301nY
Old 04-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #71
FatKatLuvr
Balance and Infinity

That's my point. The magazine was and still is the gateway to the community and the world around it. The problem I ws addressing is that, "The Forums" devolved over time, from the early days (pretty nice) to what you find present day (bickering). Unity is hardly won here. It's going to take a lot more to bring people together than allowing them to "rip each other a new one" over the internet. It's way too easy and it has/had a destructive outcome.

The magazine had/has the ability to let the reader engage without instant reply. Let the information soak in before rash judgements are formed. The quick reply through the forums has created a place to work out personal aggressions, usually about past experiences. The magazine didn't foster that ability.

What I would like to see happen, is to have Dimensions Magazine returned to it's old glory, PRINT FORM. Then have "Dimensions Online" strictly as an informerial style website, guiding people to the magazine itself. No forums. Let the magazine reach the masses and let nature take it's course. I believe simplicity is the best form of complexity.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #72
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Thank goodness, then, that it isn't up to you because I for one enjoy the forums and have made many friends here, not to mention learned a great deal not only from like-minded people but also from opposing viewpoints.

Some people with whom I had difficulty when I first came here a year ago this week, I now count among my friends.

Long live Dimensions forums, flaws and all.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #73
lovelylady78

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
Thank goodness, then, that it isn't up to you because I for one enjoy the forums and have made many friends here, not to mention learned a great deal not only from like-minded people but also from opposing viewpoints.

Some people with whom I had difficulty when I first came here a year ago this week, I now count among my friends.

Long live Dimensions forums, flaws and all.

Quoted for truth and emphasis. (I would've repped you, Lainey, but you know how it goes.)
Old 04-05-2011, 05:32 PM   #74
Webmaster
Chief Emeritus

Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatKatLuvr View Post
[...I didn't receive a reply back from you then and that's alright.
Sorry about that. I recall this well, and my thought back then was that it merited more than a quick response. Obviously time got away from me, and here we are.

And I still don't have a comprehensive response other than that, yes, things have changed and even the most elaborate forum system is no direct replacement for the print magazine we used to have. There is no quick answer to this because it's not clear what the answer should be, given that the world and technology have moved on so much. And apart from the considerable work that a renewed print/PDF version would require, it is also not clear what exactly has replaced print. No one has figured that out yet. Newspapers, even large ones, struggle and die. Magazines are still here, but they are no longer quite the same, and everything is accompanied by websites that are not quite sure who and what they are, whether they are supposed to replace print, or complement it, or perhaps be something else entirely. And what it all means to the bottomline. And whether it should be on the web, in something like Zinio, on iPads and Android devices as apps, or what. And the big critics usually get very quiet when you approach them and take them up on their offer to tell you how things should be done.

Then there's cost and time and effort. When we did the print magazine, we had so and so many thousand subscribers who paid for their subscriptions, we had so and so much advertising income, and we had ancillary programs to make it all work. Today, everything is supposed to be free. Though the Dimensions forums represent a massive community with definite benefit, almost no one contributes.

I can also tell you that from a publishing perspective, there's a huge difference between creating a magazine and running a social community. It is far easier to present a consistent idea and picture in a magazine because magazines are a bit like works of art. You make them, and then people can either like it and peruse it, or not. Running a social community is more like a giant room full of people who are all talking at once and pulling in different directions. And while at times we used to get an angry letter to the editor, the overwhelming majority of those who contacted us were supportive. Online, you say one word someone doesn't like, and you get blasted. No big deal, but eventually you wonder why you even bother and you simply keep your opinions and views to yourself.

So while I agree with much that you said and suggested, and by no means rule anything out, for now all I can do is try to provide the type of community and continuity that I believe is still needed. And I try to keep it as neat and clean and free of spam and trolls as I can, with the very able help of the mod team. Everything, though, is always in flux, and you never know when inspiration strikes and things move on in a compelling direction.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #75
FatKatLuvr
Balance and Infinity

Quote:
Sorry about that. I recall this well, and my thought back then was that it merited more than a quick response. Obviously time got away from me, and here we are.

And I still don't have a comprehensive response other than that, yes, things have changed and even the most elaborate forum system is no direct replacement for the print magazine we used to have. There is no quick answer to this because it's not clear what the answer should be, given that the world and technology have moved on so much. And apart from the considerable work that a renewed print/PDF version would require, it is also not clear what exactly has replaced print. No one has figured that out yet. Newspapers, even large ones, struggle and die. Magazines are still here, but they are no longer quite the same, and everything is accompanied by websites that are not quite sure who and what they are, whether they are supposed to replace print, or complement it, or perhaps be something else entirely. And what it all means to the bottomline. And whether it should be on the web, in something like Zinio, on iPads and Android devices as apps, or what. And the big critics usually get very quiet when you approach them and take them up on their offer to tell you how things should be done.

Then there's cost and time and effort. When we did the print magazine, we had so and so many thousand subscribers who paid for their subscriptions, we had so and so much advertising income, and we had ancillary programs to make it all work. Today, everything is supposed to be free. Though the Dimensions forums represent a massive community with definite benefit, almost no one contributes.

I can also tell you that from a publishing perspective, there's a huge difference between creating a magazine and running a social community. It is far easier to present a consistent idea and picture in a magazine because magazines are a bit like works of art. You make them, and then people can either like it and peruse it, or not. Running a social community is more like a giant room full of people who are all talking at once and pulling in different directions. And while at times we used to get an angry letter to the editor, the overwhelming majority of those who contacted us were supportive. Online, you say one word someone doesn't like, and you get blasted. No big deal, but eventually you wonder why you even bother and you simply keep your opinions and views to yourself.

So while I agree with much that you said and suggested, and by no means rule anything out, for now all I can do is try to provide the type of community and continuity that I believe is still needed. And I try to keep it as neat and clean and free of spam and trolls as I can, with the very able help of the mod team. Everything, though, is always in flux, and you never know when inspiration strikes and things move on in a compelling direction.
I'm glad as well that it's not left up to me, whether the forums stay or not.lol

Dimensions, however, is still a great accomplishment and I will still check in from time to time. Glad to know my PM didn't fall on deaf ears. Thanks.

Hopefully, things in this world will get better. The future needs for this to happen, humanity must answer to a higher calling. I think you've been ready far longer than most.