Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > FA/FFA forum

Old 03-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
Gendo Ikari
The Intellectual

Gendo Ikari does more than just post hot picsGendo Ikari does more than just post hot picsGendo Ikari does more than just post hot picsGendo Ikari does more than just post hot pics
Default MTV True Life casting call: I'm a Chubby Chaser

Not sure if this has been brought up, if it has I'm sorry.

Anyways, sometimes I go on MTV.com to watch True Life, I'm admittedly a fan of it, and I was looking at the casting call section for upcoming episodes and I found this gem that's relevant to us:
Quote:
TRUE LIFE: I'M A CHUBBY CHASER
Do you actively pursue plus-size women? Do you prefer your man to be carrying more than a few extra pounds? Do you have a passion for healthy curves? Are you in love with BBW (Big Beautiful Women) or SSBBW (Super-sized big beautiful women)? Is your girlfriend or boyfriend extra large? Do you feel that your friends and family judge you for having a big partner? If you are proud to call yourself a chubby-chaser, MTV wants to hear from you.

If you appear to be between the ages of 16 and 28, and you love 'em round and delectably plump, write us at chubby@mtvn.com. Tell us about your passion for the plus-size, and be sure to include your name, location, phone number, and a recent photograph.
So, what do you think?

Any volunteer FAs?
Gendo Ikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
The Orange Mage
♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓

The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!

Do Not Want
The Orange Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:44 AM   #3
Jon Blaze
Dusk

Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!

They're notorious for skewing the stories of a lot of their participants as the actual story may not be filled with enough drama. One of my friends who went on the "I'm happy to be fat" episode said many times that they screwed with the footage they shot, and a lot of things that did or didn't happen were fabricated.

If I knew things about me weren't going to be skewed, and if I had a partner: I'd be willing to do it. But neither are true. I'll probably watch it though just so I can yell at the TV. lol

"Happiness is not stopping to think if you are."- Palmer Sondreal
Jon Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
Judge_Dre

Judge_Dre never has a post go unnoticedJudge_Dre never has a post go unnoticedJudge_Dre never has a post go unnoticedJudge_Dre never has a post go unnoticedJudge_Dre never has a post go unnoticedJudge_Dre never has a post go unnoticedJudge_Dre never has a post go unnoticed

As a stutterer, I was impressed with their episodeon stuttering. I think this fat admiration episode could be a good thing. Especially in contrast to their previous fat episodes. This could be a chance for fat admiration to be promoted in a positive light if the right people volunteer.
Judge_Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
Blackjack
Fupa Troopa

Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_Dre View Post
As a stutterer, I was impressed with their episodeon stuttering. I think this fat admiration episode could be a good thing. Especially in contrast to their previous fat episodes. This could be a chance for fat admiration to be promoted in a positive light if the right people volunteer.
Reality TV doesn't paint anyone in a positive light.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
Caleb

Caleb has said some nice things

Hmm... it will be made for the purposes of entertainment, but who's entertainment? Not sure I could trust a channel that already makes such programmes as 'my super sweet 16' which is just a vile exhibition of wealthy, spoiled brats hungry for celebrity with no discernible talent except looking disappointed their new Porsche is red instead of black.
Caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
kioewen

kioewen does more than just post hot picskioewen does more than just post hot picskioewen does more than just post hot picskioewen does more than just post hot pics

This can only be unimaginably horrible, and anyone would be a fool to participate.
kioewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:23 AM   #8
Webmaster
Chief Emeritus

Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.

MTV is so not with it anymore. Anyone who does the slightest bit of research into the plus-size scene knows that the term "chubby chaser" is used for gay guys who like fat men. It's never been used in any other way.
Webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #9
Deven
Wendigo

Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
MTV is so not with it anymore. Anyone who does the slightest bit of research into the plus-size scene knows that the term "chubby chaser" is used for gay guys who like fat men. It's never been used in any other way.
I've only heard the terms "bear" and "bear lover" for BHMs within the gay community. And I am buried to my eyeballs in the GLBT community. I'll have to bring this up later to my gayboys, cause now I'm curious. I've seen Chubby Chaser used in reference to men liking women, including in Marvel's X-Men, where Big Bertha asks Deadpool if he's a chubby chaser.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:07 AM   #10
LJ Rock

LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevenDoom View Post
I've only heard the terms "bear" and "bear lover" for BHMs within the gay community. And I am buried to my eyeballs in the GLBT community. I'll have to bring this up later to my gayboys, cause now I'm curious. I've seen Chubby Chaser used in reference to men liking women, including in Marvel's X-Men, where Big Bertha asks Deadpool if he's a chubby chaser.
I have seen it used in both contexts, but usually the term "chubby chaser" is applied to male FAs who are openly enamored with plus-size women by people who know nothing about the subset or preference, usually in a mildly patronizing or judgmental tone.

And I agree, MTV is definitely "not with it" in any sense. Reality TV in general is sub-par dreck, in my opinion, a complete waste of time and contributes absolutely nothing positive to society.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #11
Admiral_Snackbar
Veni, vidi, Lionel Richie

Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
Reality TV doesn't paint anyone in a positive light.
It's not reality if it's scripted or designed to generate artificial drama. That was my issue with the subsequent seasons of the Real World. Let's take a cross section from every subculture and put them together and see what happens. Of course shit is going to happen, whether you manufacture it or not!
Old 03-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #12
Webmaster
Chief Emeritus

Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
I cannot speak for the gay community, but I know for certain that "chubby chaser" absolutely originated as a term for gay men who liked BHM partners/lovers. It was NEVER used in any other way, except for those outsiders lazy enough not to do any research. I am not fond of the term no matter who it is applied to, and would hate to see some clueless outfit like MTV re-popularize it.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:35 AM   #13
disconnectedsmile
RATING: AWESOME

disconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions communitydisconnectedsmile is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
I've seen Chubby Chaser used in reference to men liking women, including in Marvel's X-Men, where Big Bertha asks Deadpool if he's a chubby chaser.
i totally remember that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral_Snackbar View Post
"I'M A ZEBRA, I'M A ZEBRA, FUCK YOU, I'M A ZEBRA!"
disconnectedsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #14
Judge_Dre

Judge_Dre never has a post go unnoticedJudge_Dre never has a post go unnoticedJudge_Dre never has a post go unnoticedJudge_Dre never has a post go unnoticedJudge_Dre never has a post go unnoticedJudge_Dre never has a post go unnoticedJudge_Dre never has a post go unnoticed

I remember growing up in the 80's hearing the term "chubby chaser" used on straight men. The people who I heard used that term had no association with the gay community. If anything, I think gay men adopted the term after it was used by straights. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the gay FA scene developed later than the straight scene. I hope such a knee-jerk negative reaction to the term doesn't cover for any homophobic feelings some may have about being lumped in with gay FA's.

As for the show, True Life, has anyone seen the stuttering episode I mentioned earlier? I thought it was very well done and as a stutterer it really affected me in a postive way. It seems everyone is confusing True Life with Jersey Shore (a guilty pleasure that a BBW friend of mine has forced me to watch). Call me naive, but I think there is potential for some good to come out of this future episode. Young FA's can see a peer on TV and young BBWs can learn that their are people out there for them. We shouldn't boycott the media because of past failures. Hiding out in in the Internet may be more secure for many of us, but we should applaud those who dare to go on national televison to proudly say they love fat people.

Afterall, before the Internet and back when talk shows were popular, I grew up watching "chubby chaser" episodes of Ricki Lake, Donahue, and Jenny Jones, etc. and being inspired by the guests. People said the same things about talk shows that they do now with reality shows. Surely not everyone will like what they will see, but let's not discount how many people can be reached through such programming. If I wasn't three years too old for the criterie they are looking for, I would volunteer for such an opportunity.

Last edited by Judge_Dre; 03-21-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Judge_Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #15
penguin
Fnord

penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Maybe it's a cultural thing, but I've heard chubby chaser used a lot here by straight men. My ex used it to describe himself, though he's into "plumpers", as he puts, rather than women like me.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #16
Webmaster
Chief Emeritus

Negative kneejerk reaction? Homophobic feelings?! Hardly. All I am saying is that even when I started Dimensions in 1983, the term "chubby chaser" was already around in the gay scene. I never liked it no matter who uses it, and I would really not like for MTV, or anyone, to resurrect it, and certainly not improperly. And, actually, the gay FA scene has been around at least as long as the straight scene, if not longer.

The talk shows in the 80s did, in fact, properly use the term FA. I know because I was on almost all of them.

Quote:
I remember growing up in the 80's hearing the term "chubby chaser" used on straight men. The people who I heard used that term had no association with the gay community. If anything, I think gay men adopted the term after it was used by straights. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the gay FA scene developed later than the straight scene. I hope such a knee-jerk negative reaction to the term doesn't cover for any homophobic feelings some may have about being lumped in with gay FA's.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #17
Deven
Wendigo

Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!

I've never actually heard being into heavier women a positive thing, outside of here, and the few FA's I've met outside of here.

One memorable encounter at a bar, some guy and I were having a good conversation, and his drunk friend wrapped his arm around him and said, "Are you going hoggin?" The guy that was talking to me looked at me apologetically, but our conversation was effectively killed.

So, I actually feel "Chubby chaser" is kinder than some of the other terms I've heard...
Old 03-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #18
ThatFatGirl
Why am I still here?

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Blaze View Post
They're notorious for skewing the stories of a lot of their participants as the actual story may not be filled with enough drama. One of my friends who went on the "I'm happy to be fat" episode said many times that they screwed with the footage they shot, and a lot of things that did or didn't happen were fabricated.

If I knew things about me weren't going to be skewed, and if I had a partner: I'd be willing to do it. But neither are true. I'll probably watch it though just so I can yell at the TV. lol

Are we thinking about the same show? Was there a "TL: I'm Happy Being Fat" as well as a "TL: I'm Obese" perhaps? The one that featured the really big gay guy I thought was handled pretty well.. each segment of that show seemed pretty realistic to my eyes, but if you know someone in it who says otherwise, I guess they would know.

ETA: I looked at the list of episodes and those were two different shows. Can you say who was in the show that didn't agree with what MTV aired?

The thing with True Life over the usual reality show offerings is it is more documentary than anything else. I watched a behind the scenes of True Life show once and was impressed with how much the producers tried to stay out of what was happening and just let the cameras roll. Of course they edit and choose what they air, but it wasn't scripted or staged like some other shows.

Fleeting Fancies

Last edited by ThatFatGirl; 03-21-2011 at 03:57 PM.
ThatFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #19
ThatFatGirl
Why am I still here?

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Re: Chubby Chasers

I thought the term was used for gay or straight and originated in the 1950's or something? I remember being aware of the term since I was a kid and in my very sheltered life knew nothing about gay culture until the mid-80's trash talk show era. It's definitely more a gay term now though as far as I know.

Fleeting Fancies
Old 03-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #20
ThatFatGirl
Why am I still here?

Quote:

As for the show, True Life, has anyone seen the stuttering episode I mentioned earlier? I thought it was very well done and as a stutterer it really affected me in a postive way. It seems everyone is confusing True Life with Jersey Shore (a guilty pleasure that a BBW friend of mine has forced me to watch). Call me naive, but I think there is potential for some good to come out of this future episode. Young FA's can see a peer on TV and young BBWs can learn that their are people out there for them. We shouldn't boycott the media because of past failures. Hiding out in in the Internet may be more secure for many of us, but we should applaud those who dare to go on national televison to proudly say they love fat people.

Afterall, before the Internet and back when talk shows were popular, I grew up watching "chubby chaser" episodes of Ricki Lake, Donahue, and Jenny Jones, etc. and being inspired by the guests. People said the same things about talk shows that they do now with reality shows. Surely not everyone will like what they will see, but let's not discount how many people can be reached through such programming. If I wasn't three years too old for the criterie they are looking for, I would volunteer for such an opportunity.

I saw the stuttering episode of TL and agree it was a good one. I've enjoyed a lot of them now that I think about it (and browsed mtv.com for a reminder of their topics). It looks like full episodes are on their site:
http://www.mtv.com/shows/truelife/episodes.jhtml

Fleeting Fancies
Old 03-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #21
Wild Zero
ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn

Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!

Yeah True Life tends to be pretty even-handed in how it presents its subjects and is far more hard newsy than the rest of MTV's reality line-up. I haven't seen every episode but the ones I've seen (aside from the one on Crystal Meth, which you can't really present an "upside" to) were non-judgmental and just slice of life type shows.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:02 AM   #22
J34
Purple Monkey Dishwasher!

J34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I can't believe they still call it MTV, I vaguely remember the last time I heard or saw any music on that channel
Old 03-23-2011, 09:04 AM   #23
Admiral_Snackbar
Veni, vidi, Lionel Richie

Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J34 View Post
I can't believe they still call it MTV, I vaguely remember the last time I heard or saw any music on that channel
Museum for
Total
Vapidity
Old 03-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #24
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

The film The Ritz was released in '76 and there was more than one reference to chubby chasers in the dialogue. I believe the term was originally used within the gay community first.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #25
UmbroUmbro

UmbroUmbro can now change their title

Wheres my music? Oh wait....its MTV...
UmbroUmbro is offline   Reply With Quote