Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 03-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
UMBROBOYUM

UMBROBOYUM has super-sized repUMBROBOYUM has super-sized repUMBROBOYUM has super-sized repUMBROBOYUM has super-sized repUMBROBOYUM has super-sized rep
Default nyc museum?

I've never been to any of the museums in nyc and i was wondering if anyone wanted to get together one sunday and visit one of them? I like art so i wouldnt mind seeing an art history museum or a museum with lots of fossils and dino bones :P

Just seeing whos interested, theres no formal plan yet.

-Jon
Old 03-21-2011, 11:31 PM   #2
Tokyosheart

Tokyosheart has said some nice things

that sounds fantastic. Is it a meetup? But I can't go until after april 17th..
Old 03-22-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
Fallenangel2904
Fat Fashionista

Fallenangel2904 makes people happy simply by logging inFallenangel2904 makes people happy simply by logging inFallenangel2904 makes people happy simply by logging inFallenangel2904 makes people happy simply by logging inFallenangel2904 makes people happy simply by logging inFallenangel2904 makes people happy simply by logging inFallenangel2904 makes people happy simply by logging inFallenangel2904 makes people happy simply by logging in

Sounds like a fun idea! I haven't been to the museums in FOREVER and a lot of my friends aren't too interested in that type of stuff.

Maybe we could do museums and lunch?

But same as Regina- after the 17th for me- beginning of April is booked for me!
Old 03-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
J34
Purple Monkey Dishwasher!

J34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

That sounds fun, but I should warn you that Sunday might not be the best day to visit. Not quite sure if they are open those days. I usually head out during the weekdays like Wed-Thurs-Fri.

Either way its always fun
Old 03-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
UMBROBOYUM

UMBROBOYUM has super-sized repUMBROBOYUM has super-sized repUMBROBOYUM has super-sized repUMBROBOYUM has super-sized repUMBROBOYUM has super-sized rep

Awesome. Alright so maybe ill plan a trip late april and see if any is willing to come, I can find out what museums are open on those days.

It takes me about an hour and half to get to GC on the train. I would love to get lunch somewhere too and maybe if and when the museums close we could lounge around a park or library or something.

I dont know nyc that well as i dont go down much often.

-Jon
Old 03-23-2011, 11:59 PM   #6
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!

I dunno if I can make, but it sounds like a good idea. I would just add that if want to do this all in one day and you can anticipate at least some participants coming from more than an hour away (and then back) -and- you want to have time for lunch-before/drinks-afterward, and factoring for the possibility of rain, then it would probably be better to just pick one museum as opposed to using up too much time getting from one to the another.

Like, the Guggenheim is pretty close to the Met. But the Met is so big and awesome; I dunno if it would be worth it to spend however long it would take to stop and gather everyone together and get to the Guggenheim, just to spend some time there, when you could just as easily have kept looking at more stuff right where you were. I personally think the Met is the best bang for for your buck. They've got, I think, the most variety: mediaeval armor, costumes, period rooms, greek sculpture, egyptian art, east asian, etc.. you could spend days in there. The other thing that I find very cool about it, is that you tend to see fine-art students there in self-study, basically trying to create a new piece of art from an old & great one with no more than a simple pad and a charcoal pencil. Very interesting to watch.

For the Guggenheim, I think the draw is the building as much anything else, the way it just winds you up to the top. So that can be fun, if whatever particular exhibit they happen to have is of interest to you; like, one time they had all these motorcycles. If MoMA isn't second to the Met, it's for it all of its big-name paintings: Van Goghs, Picassos, Dalis, etc.. But if you want to see Sciencey stuff, I would guess the American Museum of Natural History is more ideal. I've never actually been inside; the one time I would've checked it out, it was closed for some sort of event. But I've heard the experience can depend alot on what particular pieces of their collection they happen to be showing.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
UmbroUmbro

UmbroUmbro can now change their title

I think ideally I'd like to hit one museum and then spend the better half of the afternoon from 2 ish pm and onward outside sitting down at a park or cafe maybe.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
Tokyosheart

Tokyosheart has said some nice things

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmbroUmbro View Post
I think ideally I'd like to hit one museum and then spend the better half of the afternoon from 2 ish pm and onward outside sitting down at a park or cafe maybe.
i like this idea. :]
Old 03-30-2011, 07:58 AM   #9
J34

J34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Yea, its always best to just head to one museum. Not sure what they are displaying at the Guggenheim this spring might take a look. The MET is always good, since there is so much to see there. Also its nice to stroll around Central Park during the spring.

Anytime around mid to late April I guess would be good timing.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:11 PM   #10
easybeat

easybeat can now change their title

I'd suggest the met, Guggenheim is overpriced for what it is. I went there last year and wasn't very impressed. Word of advice, the 20 dollar admission fee is "suggested" which means you could give whatever you like to get in. It's a tax funded museum but it's trying to follow suit with the MOMA in charging people who don't know any better.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:51 AM   #11
UmbroUmbro

Looks like I'll be taking the met for an earlyafternoon visit.

I'll probably go in late april or early may.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #12
fancyfeast

fancyfeast can now change their title

I might be down. I see a lot of art and would probably recommend something other than the Met-- which is so huge it's hard to enjoy in a group quickly. Chelsea is free and has loads of more unique galleries and lots of restaurants and cafes. Highly recommend it!
Old 05-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #13
J34

Hmm, anyone still interested in going to this? After the 12th I am done with school for this semester
Old 05-08-2011, 10:07 AM   #14
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

The first saturday of every month is free admission to the brooklyn museum.

Every friday from 6-8 you can pay whatever admission you want to the guggenheim and they have live jazz.

You can pay whatever you want at the Met too. All the museums are huge. You should pick a section and just do that. You'd need weeks to go thru each one.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #15
stevenbbwlvr

stevenbbwlvr does more than just post hot picsstevenbbwlvr does more than just post hot picsstevenbbwlvr does more than just post hot pics
Default The Cloisters

Not sure how much it costs, but it's well worth a visit! Surrounded by a nice parl where one might conceivably BBQ!
Old 05-17-2011, 08:51 PM   #16
NickyIs2Big

NickyIs2Big can now change their title

I have been dying to go to some museums recently! This summer I'm hoping to go to as many as possible.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:45 AM   #17
lovely_plumper

lovely_plumper has said some nice things

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwen View Post
The first saturday of every month is free admission to the brooklyn museum.

Every friday from 6-8 you can pay whatever admission you want to the guggenheim and they have live jazz.

You can pay whatever you want at the Met too. All the museums are huge. You should pick a section and just do that. You'd need weeks to go thru each one.

also moma has a free admission thing during the week i cant remember when heh i remember a few years ago the brooklyn museum had this special weekend events where they would have vendors selling food while you looked around at the arts stuff i wonder if they still do it
Old 05-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #18
mango
Mustachio Nut

mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!
Arrow

I arrive in NYC to start a 10 week summer internship on Friday June 3rd.

If we want to meet up on Saturday June 4th for a free Brooklyn Museum tour, I'd be down. After doing a Contemporary Art subject at the grad school level last fall, it would be nice to see some modern and contemporary art again.

I'll be staying at a place in Brooklyn Heights, so I'm probably only a few short subway stops away.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #19
LuckyDreamer87

LuckyDreamer87 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesLuckyDreamer87 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Smile

I would definitely be up for this!!!!!!! When do you guys wanna do this?
Old 05-21-2011, 04:14 PM   #20
NancyGirl74

NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango View Post
I arrive in NYC to start a 10 week summer internship on Friday June 3rd.

If we want to meet up on Saturday June 4th for a free Brooklyn Museum tour, I'd be down. After doing a Contemporary Art subject at the grad school level last fall, it would be nice to see some modern and contemporary art again.

I'll be staying at a place in Brooklyn Heights, so I'm probably only a few short subway stops away.

Mango's back in the city! Woot!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #21
UmbroUmbro

I think sometime in June would be good for as I've been swamped with music and film projects

I'd be up for a visit on a sunday.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:34 AM   #22
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'd also be up for a Sunday outing. I haven't been to a museum in a while. Other interesting museums, tho not necessarily art are the museum of television and radio, the museum of the moving image in astoria and that queens offshoot of moma, PS1 also in queens.

Last edited by olwen; 05-29-2011 at 06:36 AM.