Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 04-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default April Iron Food Challenge

Hi. I am very much a Julia Child fan. I owe my interest in cooking to her. Also, I looked at the past challenges and this hasn't been done yet.

So for the month of April, I would like to choose BUTTER as the Secret Ingredient. Real butter is a treat and adds a lot of flavor to food. Feel free to share your recipe as long as butter is one of the key flavorings. Recipes will be accepted until the end of the month.

Here are the Past Challenges:

Past Iron Foodie Challenges

Dec - Oranges

Jan - Cream Cheese
Feb - Soda pop
Mar - Recipes containing a can of soup
Apr Shrimp
May Eggs
Jun Liquor
Jul - Pasta/couscous etc Salads
Aug Zucchini
Sep - Quick breads / Muffins
Oct Cheese
Nov Cranberries
Dec - Fudge

Jan - Slow Cooker Recipe
Feb Potatoes
Mar - Garlic and Mushrooms
Apr Chicken
May Lemons
Jun - 30 min Hot Weather Recipes
Jul - Preserves - Jams, Chutneys, Relishes etc
Aug Coffee
Sep - Tofu / Cottage Cheese
October Pumpkin
November - Sweet Potatoes/Yams
December - Mint

January Soup
February Pork
March-Mexican Food
April Cereal
May- Berries
June-Yogurt
July Corn
August Asian
September - Breakfast foods
October Nuts
November Onions
December - Meat in Casings

January - Side Salads
February Spinach
March Beans
April-hot sandwiches
May-Soy Sauce
June cookies
July - Sour Cream
August - (Summer Break)
Sept - BBQ Foods.
October - Southern cuisine
November - Peanut butter
December-"Packaged Food"

January rice
February chocolate
March - Irish food
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Chocolate Peanut Butter Shortbread Squares

Vegetable oil, cooking spray
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
12 ounces milk chocolate, melted
1 cup creamy peanut butter

Coat a 9 1/2-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. Line with parchment, leaving a 2-inch overhang on 2 sides, and coat parchment with spray.

Sift flour and salt into a medium bowl. Beat butter with a mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. With the mixer running, add sugar, and beat until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture, beating until just incorporated. Press dough evenly into pan. Cover, and refrigerate until firm.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Bake shortbread until golden brown and firm in center, 45 to 50 minutes. Let shortbread cool in pan on a wire rack.

Spread peanut butter over cooled shortbread and refrigerate. Spread melted chocolate over the peanut butter and refrigerate. Cut into squares.

(Recipe taken from Martha Stewart Cookies cookbook)
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Yum, those bars sound good! I wish I was good at baking.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:03 AM   #4
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Heroin Wings

4 lbs chicken wings-tips removed
1 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp italian seasoning
2 tsp paprika
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 sticks of butter

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees

Combine cheese, italian seasoning, paprika and pepper in a bowl. *You can add salt if you want. I did not since the cheese is so salty*

Line a baking dish with foil and spray with non-stick spray *one of the most important steps in this recipe*

Melt the butter in a bowl or a pan

Dip each piece of chicken in the butter, then roll in the cheese mixture and arrange on the pan

Bake for 1 hour.

These are really good. A great appetizer. I am going to try the mixture on chicken breast next time!

Picture:

MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:31 AM   #5
Emma
On Timeout

Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!

You've got my vote Misty, they look wonderful.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:22 AM   #6
NancyGirl74

NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Butter = Paula Deen to me. This recipe was so yummy but omg the butter. Only make this one when you're feeling healthy...but sooooo good!

Chicken Scaloppini

Oil, for sauteing chicken
2 tablespoons butter, for sauteing chicken
3 to 5 chicken breasts, (3 ounces each) pounded thin
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, seasoned with salt and pepper, for dredging
1/4 cup diced pancetta, cooked
12 ounces mushrooms, sliced
12 ounces artichoke hearts, sliced
1 tablespoon capers
1 pound linguini pasta, cooked
(Lemon Butter Sauce, recipe follows)

Heat a small amount of oil and 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet. Dredge chicken in seasoned flour and saute in pan, turning once, until brown and cooked through. Remove chicken from pan. Add remaining ingredients, up to and including the capers, to the pan. Heat until mushrooms soften and are cooked. Add chicken back to pan to reheat and make Lemon Butter sauce.

Lemon Butter Sauce:
3 tablespoons lemon juice
4 ounces white wine
4 ounces heavy cream
1 pound (4 sticks) butter
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Chopped parsley leaves, for garnish

Heat the lemon juice and white wine in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and reduce by one-third. Add cream and simmer until mixture thickens, about 3 to 4 minutes. Slowly add butter, about 2 tablespoons at a time, until completely incorporated, whisking constantly. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and keep warm.

To serve: Place cooked pasta on each plate. Add half of butter sauce to chicken mixture and toss. Place chicken mixture over pasta. Add more sauce on top of each piece. Garnish with parsley.

**My Notes: Yummy! Butter = Yikes.

Attachment 92157

Last edited by NancyGirl74; 10-11-2014 at 10:35 PM.
NancyGirl74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:37 PM   #7
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty View Post
Heroin Wings....These are really good. A great appetizer. I am going to try the mixture on chicken breast next time!

Misty...seriously, yum! I love wings. I have a question - what kind of parmesan cheese do you use? freshly grated? the stuff in the green can? or something in between, like the store grated in a container?

I want to make these!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyGirl74 View Post
Butter = Paula Deen to me.
yeppppppp! Me too! And your recipe sounds sooo good. Like Chicken Piccata, which I love.
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:25 AM   #8
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft View Post
Misty...seriously, yum! I love wings. I have a question - what kind of parmesan cheese do you use? freshly grated? the stuff in the green can? or something in between, like the store grated in a container?

I want to make these!

yeppppppp! Me too! And your recipe sounds sooo good. Like Chicken Piccata, which I love.
I just used the stuff in the can. I didn't want to use my good stuff in case I didn't care for the flavor of them. I think it needs to be that texture..so that it's more like a breading than just cheese!
Old 04-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty View Post
I just used the stuff in the can. I didn't want to use my good stuff in case I didn't care for the flavor of them. I think it needs to be that texture..so that it's more like a breading than just cheese!
That's what I was thinking! That's why I asked
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #10
MisticalMisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft View Post
That's what I was thinking! That's why I asked
I hope that you like them! Let me know what you think!
Old 04-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #11
louisaml
Princess

louisaml can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokeslouisaml can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default Squash Cassarole

This is a revamp of my moms squash casserole. I wont have a pic till tomorrow.

Ingredients:
4 Packages cooked squash(You can use fresh squash)
2 Shallots
1 Package Cornbread Stuffing Instant
1/2 Stick Butter
1/2 cup Chicken Stock
16 oz Sour Cream
1 cup Shredded Carrot
1/2 cup White Wine
Cam-bells Cream of Mushroom with Garlic
1 Small jar/can of Mushrooms

1. Defrost squash the night before
2. Preheat oven to 350
3. Spray or Butter a Casserole Dish(one with lid works best)
4.Melt Half a stick of butter in a wok, and add white wine, and chicken stock
5. Finely chop shallots and add to wok, and add mushrooms, shredded carrot, and cook until soft
6. Add 4 packages squash and cook until flavors have blended
7. Put veggie mixture in a blender, add sour cream, and COM soup
8. Blend well and pour into bowl, add stuffing mix and stir until fully softened
9. Bake in oven for 45 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling
Old 04-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #12
EMH1701

These all sound very good! I'll post the poll sometime tomorrow (will probably be in the evening as I have stuff going on during the day).
Old 05-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #13
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

When is the voting, I don't want to miss it and we are into May now!
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote