Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The WLS Controversy

Old 08-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #76
Brenda

Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

See all those sites will be full of posters saying how great wls is and how I need to get another one regardless. I was more looking for feedback from those who are not so anti fat.

At any rate I have all but decided to just have the lap band removed and call it.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingBBW View Post
I think for those banders who need a revision, some do choose the sleeve. Try the VSG forums at obesityhelp.com or verticalsleevetalk.com for other revisionists who might be able to answer some of your questions. Good luck to you!
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:18 PM   #77
moore2me
Lions don't need to spank

moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!

Brenda,

I think you should trust your instincts in this matter. Our internal feelings are often the best guidance in protecting us from harm. (Me thinks you made a good decision as well.) M2M
moore2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:05 AM   #78
Shosh
Susannah

Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
See all those sites will be full of posters saying how great wls is and how I need to get another one regardless. I was more looking for feedback from those who are not so anti fat.

At any rate I have all but decided to just have the lap band removed and call it.

Thanks
Wishing you well with your removal surgery. I found the recovery from the removal surgery easier and faster than when it was put in, but I guess everybody is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore2me View Post
Brenda,

I think you should trust your instincts in this matter. Our internal feelings are often the best guidance in protecting us from harm. (Me thinks you made a good decision as well.) M2M
You are exactly right Cookie. We have to listen to our own bodies and make whatever the decision we feel is in our own best interest.
Shosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:07 AM   #79
Shosh
Susannah

Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I am now three months out from having my lap band removed, and I am doing very well. I have had no issues post removal, and I feel that I have gotten my life back.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #80
Brenda

Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Shosh,

How long would you estimate your recovery to have been? I have a tentative date for surgery and it is during a busier time for my business so I would only have a week or less to lay about. I am a bit worried that it won't be sufficient time though most of my work is done at the computer so not to physically taxing.

Brenda
Old 09-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #81
Shosh
Susannah

Quote:
Shosh,

How long would you estimate your recovery to have been? I have a tentative date for surgery and it is during a busier time for my business so I would only have a week or less to lay about. I am a bit worried that it won't be sufficient time though most of my work is done at the computer so not to physically taxing.

Brenda
A week should be enough time to recover.

My tummy was sore for a few days, and then it rapidly improved after that.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:40 PM   #82
Tracii

Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Glad you are feeling better.
Here is a hug from me!
Tracii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #83
Brenda

Last week I has my lap band removed and I am slowly getting back to my old self. I am glad it is behind me, thanks for sharing your story.

Brenda
Old 11-20-2011, 08:49 AM   #84
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Last week I has my lap band removed and I am slowly getting back to my old self. I am glad it is behind me, thanks for sharing your story.

Brenda
I'm so glad everything is going well Brenda.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:06 AM   #85
Shosh
Susannah

Quote:

Brenda
Glad it is behind you Brenda. I think you will start to feel liberated from that torture.
Four years of hell was enough for me.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:24 PM   #86
Brenda

Thanks Lilly and Shosh. After nearly 7 years of awful side effects and pain it seems very odd not to question everything I put in my mouth. At the same time it is very scary to think I could quickly get back to my heaviest which was not a healthy weight for me.

Brenda
Old 05-17-2012, 12:02 AM   #87
Shosh
Susannah

Well it will be a year at the end of this month since I had my lap band removed.

I am still very happy with my decision to remove it, and I will not be having anymore surgical intervention.
It is so wonderful to not have the hideous side effects that the band produces.
I can live like a normal person again.
My lowest weight with the band was about 167 pounds.
As of today I weight 350.3 pounds.

So it has not been the apocalypse for me. My world has not come tumbling down because I had the band removed, as some predicted it would.
I feel free, and it is the best feeling in the world.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:06 AM   #88
LifeTraveller
Sporadic Poster

LifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this board

Congrats on it being nearly a year. . from your postings and pics, you seem to be absolutely, glowing. There's something wondrous about being able to share happiness with others. Thank you for doing so, I know there are many of us, who wish you continued, joy and happiness. .
Old 05-18-2012, 03:58 AM   #89
Mikey

Mikey is a member of the 500 clubMikey is a member of the 500 clubMikey is a member of the 500 clubMikey is a member of the 500 clubMikey is a member of the 500 clubMikey is a member of the 500 club
Thumbs up Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosh View Post
Well it will be a year at the end of this month since I had my lap band removed.

I am still very happy with my decision to remove it, and I will not be having anymore surgical intervention.
It is so wonderful to not have the hideous side effects that the band produces.
I can live like a normal person again.
My lowest weight with the band was about 167 pounds.
As of today I weight 350.3 pounds.

So it has not been the apocalypse for me. My world has not come tumbling down because I had the band removed, as some predicted it would.
I feel free, and it is the best feeling in the world.
You seem happier and more comfortable then ever, and that is what counts!!!
You should have many more years of happiness!
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:33 AM   #90
Shosh
Susannah

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeTraveller View Post
Congrats on it being nearly a year. . from your postings and pics, you seem to be absolutely, glowing. There's something wondrous about being able to share happiness with others. Thank you for doing so, I know there are many of us, who wish you continued, joy and happiness. .
What a nice thing to say. Thank you so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
You seem happier and more comfortable then ever, and that is what counts!!!
You should have many more years of happiness!
Aww thanks Michael! You are so kind.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:40 PM   #91
Shosh
Susannah

Update: I went to see my neurologist on Friday just gone.
He is very pleased that my MS is being kept very stable by the drug I have been on for the last two years.
He then told me that I could have a gastric bypass to cure my weight problem as he sees it.
I flatly refused. I said that I would NEVER have surgical intervention again after having my lap band removed. I meant never.

I am pretty sure that some in the medical profession have no clue about some of the lifelong side effects patients can have from these procedures.
They just see the weight loss, and nothing beyond that.

It is my body and I have the right to make choices where it is concerned.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #92
moore2me
Lions don't need to spank

moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosh View Post
Update: I went to see my neurologist on Friday just gone.
He is very pleased that my MS is being kept very stable by the drug I have been on for the last two years.
He then told me that I could have a gastric bypass to cure my weight problem as he sees it.
I flatly refused. I said that I would NEVER have surgical intervention again after having my lap band removed. I meant never.

I am pretty sure that some in the medical profession have no clue about some of the lifelong side effects patients can have from these procedures.
They just see the weight loss, and nothing beyond that.

It is my body and I have the right to make choices where it is concerned.
Hi Shosh,
I am glad you are doing well with the lack of MS progression and you are feeling better with that lap band out. Now you are standing up to those agressive doctors who work hard to "make us better". I think you should write a short note to a Aussie medical group and share your feelings and experiences with even more healers.

One often overlooked side effect of all this medical intervention in what we are is to create a great deal of angst in the patient. Good examples are folks like you and me who have gone thru these major medical experiments to lose weight and we come out a few years later just like we were when things started. (Only sometimes we end up poorer, sicker, and having gone thru some major medical procedures.)

I don't know what your goals are for the next part of your life, but mine are to live in peace, quiet, and lack of harassment from other humans. When my docs are trying to modify my body, and others on TV are always fat bashing it tends to give a person a righteous complex that we are weird, stoopid, or failures in life. So, to bring this rambling story to a conclusion - it's not just our body at risk from these procedures, it is our minds, our self image, and our ability to manage in real life society.
moore2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:39 AM   #93
Shosh
Susannah

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore2me View Post
Hi Shosh,
I am glad you are doing well with the lack of MS progression and you are feeling better with that lap band out. Now you are standing up to those agressive doctors who work hard to "make us better". I think you should write a short note to a Aussie medical group and share your feelings and experiences with even more healers.

One often overlooked side effect of all this medical intervention in what we are is to create a great deal of angst in the patient. Good examples are folks like you and me who have gone thru these major medical experiments to lose weight and we come out a few years later just like we were when things started. (Only sometimes we end up poorer, sicker, and having gone thru some major medical procedures.)

I don't know what your goals are for the next part of your life, but mine are to live in peace, quiet, and lack of harassment from other humans. When my docs are trying to modify my body, and others on TV are always fat bashing it tends to give a person a righteous complex that we are weird, stoopid, or failures in life. So, to bring this rambling story to a conclusion - it's not just our body at risk from these procedures, it is our minds, our self image, and our ability to manage in real life society.
How did I miss this?
I have the very same goals Cookie. I am at peace with who I am, and I want to be now left in peace to live my life. No dieting, no being cut open.

My neurologist gravely told me that I could be cutting my life expectancy down by being 350 pounds. Oh well I thought, the first fourty + years of my life have been no picnic, so if I do not live another fourty more, meh, that is ok.