Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Main Dimensions Board

Old 06-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
Russ2d

Russ2d carries a lot of weight on this boardRuss2d carries a lot of weight on this boardRuss2d carries a lot of weight on this boardRuss2d carries a lot of weight on this boardRuss2d carries a lot of weight on this board
Default Obese Women Mentally Suffer More

Quote:
Study: For Obese Women, Quality of Life Suffers More
By Meredith Melnick Wednesday, June 1, 2011 | 8 Comments « Previous Post
Study: Could Brain Scans Help Spot Autism?Next Post »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A lot of factors determine your health-related quality of life, including your weight. In general, the heavier you are — that is, the further you veer into overweight territory — the worse your quality of life. But a new survey finds that some groups, such as women, are more negatively affected than others.
For the survey, researchers asked 3,844 U.S. adults aged 35-89 a series of questionnaires designed to gauge the respondents' physical and mental quality of life. The questions included measures of mobility, pain, cognition, "vitality," anxiety and depression, among other factors.

(More on TIME.com: Obese Teens Are More Likely to Smoke, Have Riskier Sex)

Overall, the survey found, people with "normal" body mass index (ranging from 18.5 to 24.9) reported better health-related quality of life than overweight (BMI of 25 to 29.9) or obese (BMI of 30 to 50) respondents. But when researchers looked more closely at African American participants, they found that those in the overweight group reported higher quality of life scores than their normal-weight and obese peers.

Why that's so isn't clear, but the researchers say the findings are in line with past studies that have found a smaller association between increasing BMI and mortality among blacks than among non-blacks. "The mechanisms by which overweight and obesity affect daily living and mortality may also differ between races," the authors wrote. "Lifestyle, roles, bodily pain, or vitality may simply be less affected by overweight among blacks than they are among non-blacks."

The questionnaires also suggested that obese women were more likely to suffer lower quality of life than obese men, especially when it came to measures of mental health. The authors wrote:

[A]lthough there has been some emerging evidence that obesity may be negatively associated with mental health among women in non-U.S. settings, our analysis is the first to indicate that such an inverse relationship may be significant among American women, while confirming evidence that among men, the association appears significant only with physical health.

That may be due in part to the fact that obese women tend to suffer more stigma and bias than equally portly men. A study last year that examined salary differences among obese Americans found that obese women tended to earn less than their normal-weight counterparts, while obese men didn't suffer in pay for their size. (For both genders, however, the cost of obesity was high after factoring in increases in sick days and medical costs, premature death, higher grocery bills and even the cost of extra gasoline — the heavier your car load, the more gas you guzzle.)

(More on TIME.com: Want to Sharpen Your Mind? Drop a Few Pounds)

"Our study did not look at why extra weight seems to be less of a burden for blacks and more of a burden for women, but there are several possible explanations," said David Feeny of the Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research in Portland, Ore., a co-author and investigator of the current study. "These are questions that should be addressed in future studies."
Ok, there is a lot of the usual bullshit in this so-called study to be sure, no need to point it all out, but the mental health issue is a no brainer.

Our culture is toxic to fat people in general but it's especially focused on females. The reason is both biological and the result of immoral business practices. Women and fat are the perfect market; women naturally carry a high percentage of fat (average of 25%) with their primary hormone being a fat building steroid, so if you can get them into a war with their own bodies (which has been done), you will then have a nice little repeat customer / cash loop you can count on, AND better still you can do it all under the guise of "helping" them.

So women are mentally suffering from all this? Really? What a shock, I mean things are more ridiculous now then ever:

Open a magazine, especially if it's a so-called woman's magazine, and 50% of it is weight-loss ads and articles, and they're all strategically placed for our viewing pleasure at check out lines, doctors and dentist offices etc.

Watch TV and 50% of the commercials are weightloss related, and the shows, I can't even begin to cover it all but they are even worse.

Go to the movies and you see nothing but skeletal women, many of whom you know are that way because of pills, eating disorders, surgery.

Listen to the radio, read a book, it's fucking everywhere!

Yesterday on my way to work I stopped off at a Mobil station to get gas and there at the pump was a vid screen. I'm not talking about a tiny screen you may see once in a while that's maybe 2 inches. This was a solid 12 inch screen with a Special K commercial running, and then after that I had to endure a Sketchers commerical!!

Needless to say it drives me crazy so I can only imagine what it's like for a woman, or a girl when all she sees is this crap repeated day after day.
Russ2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:33 PM   #2
Pitch

Pitch is a member of the 500 clubPitch is a member of the 500 clubPitch is a member of the 500 clubPitch is a member of the 500 clubPitch is a member of the 500 clubPitch is a member of the 500 club

Whats gets me:

So many anti-fat studies always mention or focus on the obesity of African Americans. As if somehow us being fat is different from someone of another shade being fat. It's always set aside and compared as if we are another species all together. Weight notwithstanding.

Last edited by Pitch; 06-05-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Pitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
superodalisque

superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.

black obese people probably do have a better quality of life because they don't stress over weight quite as much. black women in particular are more likely to love and accept their bodies. i think a lot of so called weight related issues are really stress related and unfortunately my non black friends generally seem to get a lot more social flack from everywhere. nearly every so called fat related health problem has a very high component of stress that can come to bear. maybe this study will start researchers down the road to realizing that just maybe being fat alone isn't the only element they need to take seriously when it comes to fat health. maybe they'll finally understand that prejudicial experiences are enough for some to raise their blood pressure etc... duuuh!
Old 06-05-2011, 11:40 PM   #4
superodalisque

superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.superodalisque has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch View Post
Whats gets me:

So many anti-fat studies always mention or focus on the obesity of African Americans. As if somehow us being fat is different from someone of another shade being black. It's always set aside and compared as if we are another species all together. Weight notwithstanding.
i think its not only that but that the way we approach eating and weight culturally is often so different sometimes we probably do look like a whole other species to non black researchers. in this case at least thats good for us. they'll probably say something dumb later like black people are healthier fat. then they can discount the impact of emotionally abusing white women in particular when it comes to size.

this also makes me wonder if white women in biracial relationships have better statistics. that might help to establish a cultural/emotional impact that has been ignored for the most part.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:39 AM   #5
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Mind/Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by superodalisque View Post
i think its not only that but that the way we approach eating and weight culturally is often so different sometimes we probably do look like a whole other species to non black researchers. in this case at least thats good for us. they'll probably say something dumb later like black people are healthier fat. then they can discount the impact of emotionally abusing white women in particular when it comes to size.

this also makes me wonder if white women in biracial relationships have better statistics. that might help to establish a cultural/emotional impact that has been ignored for the most part.
I wonder, too, as black men seem to be far more loving and accepting of fat women than white men are. I said it before in many ways that hatred toward fat is probably more damaging to person than fat itself.

You got to lose to know how to win.(Aerosmith-Dream On)

Fat is like grass, it'll never go away and there's a hell
of a lot of money to be made by controlling it!

Life is only therapy, real expensive and no guarantees.

Fat is only ugly to those who hate.

Federal Pacific Panels & Breakers have known fire hazards!
imfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
BlueBurning
On Timeout

BlueBurning carries a lot of weight on this boardBlueBurning carries a lot of weight on this boardBlueBurning carries a lot of weight on this boardBlueBurning carries a lot of weight on this boardBlueBurning carries a lot of weight on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch View Post
Whats gets me:

So many anti-fat studies always mention or focus on the obesity of African Americans. As if somehow us being fat is different from someone of another shade being fat. It's always set aside and compared as if we are another species all together. Weight notwithstanding.
I can't say in the case of this specific study but in many other areas gender and race when mixed together does create different results. So the idea that two obese females of two different races face different treatment is completely plausible and likely.
BlueBurning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:05 AM   #7
Russ2d

Russ2d carries a lot of weight on this boardRuss2d carries a lot of weight on this boardRuss2d carries a lot of weight on this boardRuss2d carries a lot of weight on this boardRuss2d carries a lot of weight on this board

I think all women in our culture are exposed to the same pressure from our media/market forces (which I want to see ended), but on a street level the reaction may be different depending upon which community and area of the country you come from. Ignoring it is good, rejecting it is better.

I completely agree with you both Superodalisque and Imfree that stress, continuous overt stress is the key ingredient left out. If you're lucky enough to come from an area that rejects or ignores all this, where your accepted and desired, your quality of life will obviously be much better.

This is why I find the next article to be so offensive. Some of these questionnaire clowns would like to cast a negative cloud over any accepting and nonjudgmental relationships with obese people.

This isn't science, it's marketing politics of the day using questionnaires and 're-evaluations' of surveys. It's embarrassing and disgusting

Quote:
(EndPlay Staff Reports) - Take heed if you have obese friends. A new study found that friendship with an obese person increased the non-obese person's chances of becoming obese by 57 percent.

The study led by researchers at Harvard University examined a social network of more than 12,000 people.

The influence can occur subtly, the study found.

For example, the influence toward poor eating habits can occur when you regularly eat with a friend who starts to eat junk food, influencing you to start overindulging, too. Also, a friend heading down a bad road of health may not feel like going to the gym, influencing you to skip the workout, reported The Huffington Post .

The researchers also suggested that a non-obese friend can develop an altered social perception, thus no longer seeing obesity as a severe health risk (good: my add ), which can lead to lackluster attitudes about diet and healthy behaviors.

The study, conducted by researchers at the Department of Health Care Policy at the Harvard Medical School, evaluated a densely interconnected social network of 12,067 people assessed repeatedly from 1971 to 2003 as part of the Framingham Heart Study.

The research involved examining whether weight gain in one person was associated with weight gain in a person's friends, siblings, spouse, and neighbors, according to the study.

"What is quite startling, however, from the social network research is that obesity spreads almost like an infectious disease, not just to friends but to friends of friends, and further," wrote David Hartman, Ph.D., in The Huffington Post.

"If Rachael gained weight, for instance, it would increase the chances of some of her friends gaining weight. But say her friend, Claire, has other friends that are not friends with Rachael. Could Rachael's weight gain have an impact on their weight? It certainly can.

"If Claire had a friend, Samantha, then according to the research Rachael's weight gain increased the risk of Samantha becoming obese by 20 percent."
Russ2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
superodalisque

my advice is to stop reading the crap you seem to be reading. its pissing you off too much and its not worth it. its just purposefully incendiary stuff written for effect. sometimes you need to take care of yourself and just keep the lies out of your life and better yet, not spread them.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #9
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ2d View Post
I completely agree with you both Superodalisque and Imfree that stress, continuous overt stress is the key ingredient left out. If you're lucky enough to come from an area that rejects or ignores all this, where your accepted and desired, your quality of life will obviously be much better.
It even has a name: the Roseto Effect.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Our culture is toxic to fat people in general but it's especially focused on females. The reason is both biological and the result of immoral business practices. Women and fat are the perfect market; women naturally carry a high percentage of fat (average of 25%) with their primary hormone being a fat building steroid, so if you can get them into a war with their own bodies (which has been done), you will then have a nice little repeat customer / cash loop you can count on, AND better still you can do it all under the guise of "helping" them.
Brilliant. I'd also include a lot of toxins in the food that's produced and marketed as part of those unethical business practices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superodalisque View Post
I can't give you the statistics, but I can say from experience that biracial relationships and those with FAs of the same race have been for me much healthier ones. They share a similar dynamic that is more accepting, affectionate and open. Perhaps because the underlying assumptions and beliefs are often more positive and affirming, instead of full of the misconceptions that can lead to a lot of overt and very subtle, covert degradation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBurning View Post
So the idea that two obese females of two different races face different treatment is completely plausible and likely.
I think so too, but as a reflection of the culture they're in rather than their race. Put both of them in the same environment, without racial tension, and I think they'll have a very similar experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfree View Post
I said it before in many ways that hatred toward fat is probably more damaging to person than fat itself.
I agree. People tend to feel quite comfortable unloading their crap on the object of their hatred; certain it's justified, and often just as certain their behavior is actually the other person's fault.

Quote:
stress, continuous overt stress is the key ingredient left out. If you're lucky enough to come from an area that rejects or ignores all this, where your accepted and desired, your quality of life will obviously be much better.
I'd go a step further and just call a spade a spade. That continuous overt stress is systemic abuse. It's pervasive, and it sometimes has a profound effect on me when I've had to navigate too much of it throughout the day. There is a dramatic difference in the way I feel when I'm with my friends, family, some of my colleagues at work ... or in a healthy relationship. As the good Dr. kindly illustrated right here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
It even has a name: the Roseto Effect.
I love how nerdy and intellectual you are.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #11
Blackhawk2293
Still tired of life

Blackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging in

Maybe they should retitle it as "Obese Women Mentally Suffer More Because Fuckwits Who Write Articles Like That Piss Them Off".

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Old 06-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #12
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Close!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk2293 View Post
Maybe they should retitle it as "Obese Women Mentally Suffer More Because Fuckwits Who Write Articles Like That Piss Them Off".

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
That's close, but I'm thinking something along the lines of "Obese Women Mentally Suffer More Because Fat-Hating Fuckwits Won't Leave Them Alone". The problem knows no gender boundaries, as I worked for a self righteous babbdist deacon, two-way radio shop owner, who gave me a lot of mental anguish.

You got to lose to know how to win.(Aerosmith-Dream On)

Fat is like grass, it'll never go away and there's a hell
of a lot of money to be made by controlling it!

Life is only therapy, real expensive and no guarantees.

Fat is only ugly to those who hate.

Federal Pacific Panels & Breakers have known fire hazards!
imfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #13
Blackhawk2293
Still tired of life

Blackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging inBlackhawk2293 makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfree View Post
That's close, but I'm thinking something along the lines of "Obese Women Mentally Suffer More Because Fat-Hating Fuckwits Won't Leave Them Alone". The problem knows no gender boundaries, as I worked for a self righteous babbdist deacon, two-way radio shop owner, who gave me a lot of mental anguish.

Yeah I think that's quite a valid point. The problem does not know gender boundaries. Some of my family are a lot like that with me and I don't even consider myself that big. But the way they carry on it's as if they need a crane to move me. The thing that pisses me off about that is they advertise to the rest of the family too... "he's trying to lose weight". My first thought whenever I hear that is "Actually no, I'm just nodding and smiling so that you lot shut the fuck up." LOL!