Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Archives > Hyde Park (Archive Only)

Old 06-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default FDA to redesign cigarette labels

Apparently those little warning blurbs on the cigarette packs have not dissuaded enough folks from smoking. Now the FDA is going to roll out the big guns: they have designed nine (9) new labels featuring pictures of individuals who are ill (and, in one case at least, dead) which will decorate the top half of cigarette packages. Here's the story:

Think it will get people to quit smoking?
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Old 06-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
Mack27
AΔΦΆΓΙΑ

Mack27 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Mack27 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Mack27 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Mack27 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Mack27 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Mack27 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Mack27 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Mack27 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Mack27 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Mack27 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Mack27 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

The images are so graphic that they won't have any effect. The unrated version of Robocop is less disturbing than the R rated one. In the unrated version the violence is so over the top and exaggerated that it doesn't even seem real, it seems like a cartoon or something. In the R rated version they cut enough away to make it seem more real. Over the top images will have less impact then something more understated I think.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
penguin
Fnord

penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.

They had something similar with cigarette packets here, but I don't think it did anything. They're now talking about changing all packaging to plain labelling to make them less interesting or appealing.

We have a variety of warning labels on the packs here, saying smoking can cause cancer, or harm your unborn baby, etc etc. I know some of my friends who smoked looked at what they got as a bit of a game. It didn't deter any of them.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:36 AM   #4
lollipops708

lollipops708 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokeslollipops708 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

well all i say is how about having gruesome pictures of people dying in car crashes when they try and drive home drunk.. or possibly what peoples brains and livers look like after years of alcohol abuse. other wise i guess what ever if you're addicted almost nothing will stop you unless you allready want to stop.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:33 AM   #5
Gomes

Gomes does more than just post hot picsGomes does more than just post hot picsGomes does more than just post hot pics

I personally think that cigarette ads should be allowed back on TV and radio.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:03 AM   #6
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Nanny State

Maybe the whole fucking concept of "Nanny State" just doesn't work!

You got to lose to know how to win.(Aerosmith-Dream On)

Fat is like grass, it'll never go away and there's a hell
of a lot of money to be made by controlling it!

Life is only therapy, real expensive and no guarantees.

Fat is only ugly to those who hate.

Federal Pacific Panels & Breakers have known fire hazards!
Old 07-05-2011, 04:31 AM   #7
Gomes

Gomes does more than just post hot picsGomes does more than just post hot picsGomes does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfree View Post
Bingo
Old 07-05-2011, 05:05 AM   #8
The Orange Mage
♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓

The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!

Smokers are a burden on our healthcare system anyways.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:18 AM   #9
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Sadly...

Sadly, socialized medicine is a burden on our civil liberties, now we're all accountable to each-other for our addictions and the expense they incur. Society has compassion on addicts and provides treatment, as substance addictions are a medical condition. Food addictions and obesity, of course, are moral deficits and must be harshly punished. I often say substance addictions can be stopped, cold turkey, but a person must establish a relationship with food that will sustain him/her without killing that person. Truth is, almost everyone has some form of behavior that will cause him/her to be a burden on the socialized medical system, as few people are really good at maximizing longevity and minimizing the need for medical care. The preceding were the opinions of an old, fat fool.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:37 AM   #10
Mack27
AΔΦΆΓΙΑ

Mack27 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Mack27 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Mack27 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Mack27 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Mack27 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Mack27 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Mack27 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Mack27 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Mack27 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Mack27 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Mack27 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange Mage View Post
Smokers are a burden on our healthcare system anyways.
As has been pointed out time and again the last years of someone's life are the most expensive to the healthcare system. Because smokers die an average of 7 years earlier they are cheaper to the healthcare system over their lifetimes than non-smokers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/05/he...1.9748884.html
Old 07-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #11
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfree View Post

In this case its working fine. Anti-smoking campaigns have drastically reduced the smoking rate.

The first warnings came out in the 1960s when I was a little kid. I didn't want my dad (who smoked at the time) to die so I got the shovel out of the garage and buried all his cigarettes about three feet deep in the back yard (several cartons of them). Dad couldn't really get mad -- he quit instead.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:34 PM   #12
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

Default Good For You Both

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
In this case its working fine. Anti-smoking campaigns have drastically reduced the smoking rate.

The first warnings came out in the 1960s when I was a little kid. I didn't want my dad (who smoked at the time) to die so I got the shovel out of the garage and buried all his cigarettes about three feet deep in the back yard (several cartons of them). Dad couldn't really get mad -- he quit instead.
Good for you both. My Dad quit in '68 'cuz he wanted to and that 6 mile run the Army gave him every morning was too much for a smoker. Mom finally quit about 18 months ago when her Dr said she was in the beginning of COPD. I had to go on oxygen about 10 months after I moved back in with her in late '03. I went off oxygen about 6 months after she quit smoking.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #13
lozonloz

lozonloz knows EXACTLY what's going onlozonloz knows EXACTLY what's going onlozonloz knows EXACTLY what's going onlozonloz knows EXACTLY what's going onlozonloz knows EXACTLY what's going onlozonloz knows EXACTLY what's going onlozonloz knows EXACTLY what's going on

I doubt that it'll stop anyone smoking. My family bring back cartons of ciggies from Thailand when they visit and the packs all have graphic images of dead or injured people on them. They just blank them out.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #14
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollipops708 View Post
well all i say is how about having gruesome pictures of people dying in car crashes when they try and drive home drunk..
This has already been tried. When I took driver's ed back in high school (when the school system actually taught you to drive FOR FREE and woolly mammoths roamed the land) we all got to watch a film called 'Signal 30' (police code for a traffic fatality) which consisted of pictures of former drivers. I particularly remember a farmer who tried to beat a locomotive to a grade crossing: he resembled a cross between a human being and an order of french fries. But I don't think the film dissuaded any of us from acting like jackasses behind the wheel; we KNEW we were immortal!
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Old 07-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #15
Admiral_Snackbar
Veni, vidi, Lionel Richie

Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!

I always go to Denis Leary: "You could put them in a black pack, with a skull and crossbones on the front, called TUMORS, and you'd have smokers lining up around the block: I can't wait to get my hands on these fuckin' things, I bet you get cancer as soon as you light up (puff puff puff)!"
Old 07-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #16
CleverBomb
On Space Out

CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.

This is good news for the makers of custom cigarette cases.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Start your Etsy-s!

-Rusty
Old 07-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #17
Russ2d

Russ2d carries a lot of weight on this boardRuss2d carries a lot of weight on this boardRuss2d carries a lot of weight on this boardRuss2d carries a lot of weight on this boardRuss2d carries a lot of weight on this board

I agree with the anti-nanny state argument. It offends me greatly that they want to play visual aids with adults. Treating adults with a legal product like children. What a waste of money!

How about removing the industrial chemicals that most brands come with? Nah can't do that.

Next it will be alcohol, then maybe rock climbing, football, hey how about living in LA (far more dangerous), or how about GMOs, or industry pollution like the mercury that seems to be EVERYWHERE in our lakes and rivers, nahhh, pesticides, aluminum in our foods, organo-chlorines, hormone mimicking chemicals, nope, hell no,

forget about all that let's put pictures on cigarette packs and call it a day

Pathetic
Old 07-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #18
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

Default Amen, Preach It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ2d View Post
I agree with the anti-nanny state argument. It offends me greatly that they want to play visual aids with adults. Treating adults with a legal product like children. What a waste of money!

How about removing the industrial chemicals that most brands come with? Nah can't do that.

Next it will be alcohol, then maybe rock climbing, football, hey how about living in LA (far more dangerous), or how about GMOs, or industry pollution like the mercury that seems to be EVERYWHERE in our lakes and rivers, nahhh, pesticides, aluminum in our foods, organo-chlorines, hormone mimicking chemicals, nope, hell no,

forget about all that let's put pictures on cigarette packs and call it a day

Pathetic
Add to that, all the MSG, sugar, and saturated that the, government in their back pocket, food industry mercilessly pours into us! Obesity epidemic, hell!!!, how about all that poison food our chickenshit government does nothing about.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #19
furious styles
goodbye halcyon days

furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!

let's do the same thing with booze and processed foods in that case
I wish there was a board called: Let's Just All Be Fucking Honest With Each Other For Five Minutes.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #20
Sydney Vicious

Sydney Vicious has super-sized repSydney Vicious has super-sized repSydney Vicious has super-sized repSydney Vicious has super-sized repSydney Vicious has super-sized rep

Personally, I'm going to collect those suckers like pokemon cards.