Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > GLBTQ

Old 07-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
BlueBurning
On Timeout

BlueBurning carries a lot of weight on this boardBlueBurning carries a lot of weight on this boardBlueBurning carries a lot of weight on this boardBlueBurning carries a lot of weight on this boardBlueBurning carries a lot of weight on this board
Default Ethical question

I'm hoping people can give me advice on something I am completely unsure about. I am currently applying for a program which requires a personal statement of who we are and what we have done with our lives. I want to include all my relevant volunteer experience but that's where my ethical issue comes up. I was the youth queer director for a youth group for a year and want to include that as its one of my more recent volunteer activities. However, I am marrying my opposite sex partner next month, so I'm not sure if it is ethical to include it as I don't want to have them assume I only used it to try and get into the program.

Any thoughts?
BlueBurning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm straight and have volunteered for GLBTQ orgs and attended quite a few functions. If I had to fill anything out, I'd be proud to note my extracurricular activities. I've considered, what if they were an organization or company that was anti-gay, and have decided I couldn't work for them then so it's a moot point. Bottom line to me is gay people are human beings and people who don't get that, I really don't want in my life if I have anything to say about it.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
Fish
Artist of stuff

Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

My thoughts are that you can only control so much about what people think about anything you do, have done or say. If you consider that a notable activity in fitting with what they're asking for, then put it down there.

It falls in line with one of my favorite quotes, which is "If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are."
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Of course you should include it - it meant something to you (I assume) and gives some insight into your nature.

Queer people aren't the only ones who volunteer to work with queer youth, just as old people aren't the only ones volunteering at seniors' homes, and homeless people aren't the only ones volunteering for United Way. You did something considerate for others, and that's really all that should be taken from that activity.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:45 PM   #5
Cors
Delurking

Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!

What the others said.
Cors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:10 AM   #6
Gingembre
radar detector

Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melian View Post
Of course you should include it - it meant something to you (I assume) and gives some insight into your nature.

Queer people aren't the only ones who volunteer to work with queer youth, just as old people aren't the only ones volunteering at seniors' homes, and homeless people aren't the only ones volunteering for United Way. You did something considerate for others, and that's really all that should be taken from that activity.
Yup, this
Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break your heart - Tim Minchin
Gingembre is offline   Reply With Quote