Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > GLBTQ

Old 07-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
pickleman357
Christian/Fattism Solider

pickleman357 carries a lot of weight on this boardpickleman357 carries a lot of weight on this boardpickleman357 carries a lot of weight on this boardpickleman357 carries a lot of weight on this boardpickleman357 carries a lot of weight on this board
Thumbs up Help design a gay character in an upcoming game

Hello!

I am currently making a video game for the android phone. It is a classic RPG based in a world of extreme prejudice and segregation. The heroes are forced to form a band, rise up and cause a revolution on the corrupt government, earning equality and accpetance for all walks of life.

You can check up on the characters and other things here;
http://zaftiggames.tumblr.com/

One of the characters is gay, his name is Roland and here's his pic.

http://halollet.deviantart.com/#/d41e69b

Roland was a test subject for the military. He has been given incredible power and strength but he had to lie about his sexual desires in order to fit in. He could not live the lie anymore and left to find a husband to settle down with and raises a family.

I need to make him more of a 3 dimentional character which is why I'm here. The more depth and the more real issue that he has to deal with through the game, the better.

So if you had a soap box and a captive audience, what would you like to say?
pickleman357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm having trouble understanding why a genetically enhanced super soldier would want to "settle down." Also, why would someone so powerful need to lie about wanting to have sex with other guys - he'd just do it! Possibly murder them afterwards....

What I'm trying to say is, your first task should be to explain these disconnections. How is the guy enhanced? How does it affect him biologically? Who was he before he became a test subject (and how did he become one?)? What was the military's response to him just leaving their program? People don't tend to get off that easily...is he being hunted? Not going to do much "settling down" in that scenario.

Start from there
Old 07-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
pickleman357

pickleman357 carries a lot of weight on this boardpickleman357 carries a lot of weight on this boardpickleman357 carries a lot of weight on this boardpickleman357 carries a lot of weight on this boardpickleman357 carries a lot of weight on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melian View Post
I'm having trouble understanding why a genetically enhanced super soldier would want to "settle down." Also, why would someone so powerful need to lie about wanting to have sex with other guys - he'd just do it! Possibly murder them afterwards....
Good question.... *thinks*

He may not have wanted to go through the process at all.

He would need to hide it, because in the game world, people who are unwanted are exiled or executed. Yes, he's more powerful then a normal person, but he's no match for a high tech army.

Quote:
What I'm trying to say is, your first task should be to explain these disconnections. How is the guy enhanced? How does it affect him biologically? Who was he before he became a test subject (and how did he become one?)? What was the military's response to him just leaving their program? People don't tend to get off that easily...is he being hunted? Not going to do much "settling down" in that scenario.

Start from there
I would say he was unsure of himself and fought against his homosexual desires and did everything he could to fit in.

The experiment gave him increase strength and durability as well as a weird black bio energy that makes him a kind of creep yet cool look.

Yes he's being hunted because he left. And that's probably why he's going to join the resistance, so he can move on with his life.

Is that a good start?
Old 07-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I can't say that his expression really says to me: "I'm looking to settle down with my husband behind a white picket fence." (more like "I'm looking to rack up a body count in at least three digits.") Of course, people don't always look on the outside the way they are on the inside, and you are the creator....just saying that to me there is a mis-match. In some ways I feel he'd look more interesting with the cartoon action-man body, but a sweeter face in some way? Making the mis-match more visual, rather than between the visual and the insides that we can't really see.

Also, I know that video game costumes seldom make sense, but I have to say....armor plates on his thighs, but bare chested?
Old 07-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
pickleman357

True... there is a mismatch. But I almost like that about him.

When a player finds out, instead of this reation;
"He's gay? .... yeah... I can see that"
I'd rather have
"HE'S GAY?! WTF?"

I see his expression as more "I'm pissed at the world for not letting me be myself"

He can show different emotions as the story goes on. I definatly dont' see him as a statue or anything.

But perhaps his goals in life can be changed a bit. Suggestions?
Old 07-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

My issue was not so much that he is gay--what the frick does 'gay' look like anyway?

It was the whole "he just wants to settle down, but he's not allowed" that I thought didn't look like a match.

(however to be honest, muscular men are about the least intersting human bodies to me, so you probably shouldn't listen to my opinion of what he should be like....see if people who think his body is hot like the face, I guess)
Old 07-27-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
pickleman357

I had a thought.

What about him and his secret partner were found. He survived but his partner was killed.

He's now stricten with loss, revenge, and guilt.

Feedback?
Old 07-28-2011, 07:09 AM   #8
Tad
mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickleman357 View Post
I had a thought.

What about him and his secret partner were found. He survived but his partner was killed.

He's now stricten with loss, revenge, and guilt.

Feedback?
That could work....another alternative, his partner was found out, but to avoid all the trouble this would bring he officially renounced his sexuality and claimed to have changed his ways, denied loving the hero, etc, then underwent a similar program, and is now an government enforcer (who you eventually have to fight, of course). Awfully cliche, but sometimes that works in video games?
Old 07-28-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
pickleman357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
That could work....another alternative, his partner was found out, but to avoid all the trouble this would bring he officially renounced his sexuality and claimed to have changed his ways, denied loving the hero, etc, then underwent a similar program, and is now an government enforcer (who you eventually have to fight, of course). Awfully cliche, but sometimes that works in video games?
That works. With some good writing that could definatly pull on some heart strings! I really like it!

So what kinda thoughts go through his mind?

Am I messed up?
Should I change myself like he did?
Is he right and am I wrong?
How could he leave me like that?

Yeah... that can really work! Thank you!